Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1647777 08/08/19 10:45 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
-FIrst team offense (minus the two WRs of course) was on point. Baker looked crisp ... good pace/temp ... good usage of Hilliard

- Higgins continues to impress ... he’s really coming into his own

- Callaway had a few nice plays as well (including what SHOULD have been a TD)

- Myles Garrett legit was held every play ... and is not blockable ... he’s a PROBLEM

- Mack WIlson of course was ON FIRE ... he’s so good in coverage (and seems very instinctual as well)

- Greedy had the one bad mistake on the TD, but made up for it a bit

- Corbett ... still in the game the last freaking drive ... with a penalty

- GUISEPPE haha .. just an awesome moment! Love that. Maybe he sticks?

- Both kickers looked much better than anticipated ... and then the bad XP

- Freddie was ANGRY with Hilliard and the sloppiness of the O before half. Good.

- We gave away like 17 points tonight and still won by 3 scores

- Haskins looked okay, but had some very bad plays

- I feel more comfortable with Gilbert than with Stanton

- More to come!

(And no major injuries IIRC)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
-Baker is the real deal.

-How in the WORLD did Mack Wilson fall to the 5th? Is it true that he has 5 INT and 4 INT TD's in the last 4 days? That is insane!

-How in the WORLD did Greedy Williams fall to the second (and can tackle)?

-Higgins is underrated and has earned the name Hollywood.

-The defense looked pretty solid overall with the exception of that one blown coverage ( Is that on Redwine or Williams?).

-Our D line is the real deal.

-Callaway was robbed on that TD.

-Gilbert should be our #2 QB.

-Hyman should pack his bags now.

-Backup RB is a bit of a concern.

-OL depth is a bit of a concern.

-Without the turnovers we would have scored 50.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll do everyone a favor and won't repeat what's already been commented on.

Dynamic and active on both sides of the ball.

I don't like that offset delayed run play, even though it worked twice. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Lawrence is a beast.

I'll say it again, Wilson and Greedy may be the steals of the draft.

I really like Higgins, Strong as our 3 & 4.

Our #1 O-line did well protecting Baker and opening holes.

It may be hard for Greedy to unseat Mitchell, he's really good.

I want to dump Stanton and go with the young QBs but the argument will be you need a veteran in the locker room. I suppose that's right, but I hate giving up talent for experience.

I don' think there's any question Freddie is going to be a good HC. I love that he was on the refs for taking so much time with the replay. I also love that he doesn't let anything slide.

This team is going to be a blast to watch.

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't get to see the1st half yet, so cannot comment on that.

-Mack Wilson looks like the real deal. That 2nd interception was beautiful. Great read on the ball and great extension to get the INT. Lets hope this production continues, because if it does, Dorsey found a freaking gem.

-Gilbert looks serviceable. He can make the team as the #3 but no way he takes Stantons job. Stanton is too important to Baker and his development.

-I really love Freddie. Time will tell whether or not his way works, but I love what I have seen thus far.

-Hilliard needs to work on his craft. He did some great things but the fumble and missed blitz pickups are no bueno. If he is our Duke replacement, he needs some tough love and some coaching.

-Higgins was fantastic. I heard the commentators say he could be the #1 on many teams, but I don't see that. He is just a reliable route running and catching addition to this all star receiving cast

-I was unexpectedly encouraged by Gilbert as the 3rd QB He made some nice reads and throws.

-Our defense looks great. Love how Wilks is using the players skillset. He will get another coaching opportunityvery soon.

Brain dump. Im going back to lurking now lol.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have been waiting to see Damon Sheehy-Guiseppi return a kick. I think he earned another chance.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
All Pro
All Pro
Thinking about the wideouts. I see the corps as Beckham, Landry, Higgins, and Callaway. That's 4 . Are there 6 spots available? I like Jeep Willies, he's long, but Strong seems to have a little more versatility. Jeep runs middle routes down the field, while Strong runs right through the linebackers kitchen. I also noticed Strong is a willing and able blocker. There was a play late first or early second where he motioned tight to the line and cut inside of the TE to spring a solid run.

Safeties always make me nervous. I feel that there is a focus on spreading the field where YAC is needed to earn the line to gain. The front 7 is stetched out horizontally, so there has to be an option intermediate to deep if the pressure can't reach. I won't rag on Redwine as it looked like he was supposed to cover the flat on the miscommunication T.D. I was bummed that Murray couldn't keep up with #19 and had to interfere on the deep ball down the middle; instead of hooking the elbow punch it from behind.

I thought the knock on Greedy was that he wasn't physical. He came up for a nice stop on an off tackle run.

Man, Gilbert stared down every receiver he threw to early, but seemed to find a rhythm later on.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
Legend
Legend
I’ll skip the 1st string and get to the twos. Chad Thomas was very disruptive. Lawrence is a beast. I wasn’t impressed with Davis and Ray was awful. Takitaki hustles but seemed to get out of position. Mack Wilson has excellent instincts. Greedy actually tackled. He made a huge mistake but made up for it later on.

Offensively Strong looked very good. Willies not so much. Higgins looks like a starter. Calloway had a very good game as well. Staton is erratic, Gilbert wasn’t very decisive, at least early on. Kush outplayed Corrbit.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I want to dump Stanton and go with the young QBs but the argument will be you need a veteran in the locker room. I suppose that's right, but I hate giving up talent for experience.

This is where I'm at. I'm big wondering if I want the extra roster space

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Lawrence is a beast... Kush outplayed Corrbit.

The center blew his assignment and gave Lawrence a free pass. I was impressed when he ran down Haskins from behind.

I've heard Kush has been getting first team reps over Corbett. What did you notice during the game?

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Kush started at RG ,,, Corbett didn’t take a snap at RG he played center all night ...

But that don’t matter none ... Corbett’s #1 on the depth chart ... just ask Pit ... naughtydevil

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Naa….keep Stanton this year, Gilbert at 3....you carry 3 QB's,,,,Blough to the practice squad.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I will comment more after I watch the entire game, but I was able to see the first drive by both teams and Washington's first scoring drive because there was a lightning delay in the New York game and NFL Network showed those three drives of our game.

--Baker looked very sharp. Accurate passes. Good velocity. Moved well in the pocket.

--The OL game him a lot of time--and room--to throw. That was very encouraging.

--Higgins and Strong looked very good.

--Chubb had a nice move and finished the run w/power.

--Myles was quick off the snap.

--Thomas had a nice play and Greedy made a nice tackle.

--Coverage was spotty.

--I think there was a miscommunication between Greedy and the safety on the TD.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
- just watching some clips ... Redwine was a bit lost it appeared

- Murray was very shaky with some poor angles/reads

- Chad Thomas WAS much improved based on last night

- Willies didn’t show anything.... it looked like he missed the first play of the game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I didn't see the game, just highlights online....overall, a nice start.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm not comfortable with the kickers. If we go into this season with Joseph as our kicker, you can almost count on it costing us a game or more.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Naa….keep Stanton this year, Gilbert at 3....you carry 3 QB's,,,,Blough to the practice squad.

^I think this is what will likely happen. However, Stanton only brings me confidence while sitting in the film room next to the other QBs. On the field, not so much.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I'm not comfortable with the kickers. If we go into this season with Joseph as our kicker, you can almost count on it costing us a game or more.

I agree, it's ridiculous how inconsistent he is. There is no excuse for a pro to miss an extra point unless there's a problem with the snap, but at first glance, it looked clean, and it hit off the upright, so he got the kick off. The disconnect must be between his ears. I don't know if you can fix that. You're right, if he's our kicker, we're in trouble.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Corbett ... still in the game the last freaking drive ... with a penalty

This is why it makes far more sense to take what you see in practice (four straight days of Kush with the first team) far more seriously than a social media intern churning up a depth chart to share on twitter.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hats off to Mack Wilson, game ball! And to offense for first drive. Overall, just great to watch. G—S was electrifying. Great start.

I think I might watch these guys again. . . . . nanner brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Only watched the first half.

Good
- Higgins proving his efficiency right of the bat nanner

- Starting O-line looked pretty good.

- Chubb's patience and vision on that 12 yard run was nice to see.

- Mack Wilson looked really, really good.

- Baker, of course

- The entire defensive line from Garrett to Lawrence and Coley.

Bad
-Miscommunication between Redwine and G. Williams. I think the broadcasters said that Wilks went right over to talk with Redwine after the TD, so I'm assuming it was his mistake.

- I thought Stanton looked terrible.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
The game couldn’t have gone much better for the Browns.

- Baker came out and looked prepared and accurate. Moved right down the field for a TD. Nice throw to Higgins on that TD.

- Mack Wilson is going to take someone’s job. Going to be tough to keep him off the field.

- Greedy tackled and had a pick.

- Corbett played a lot at center.

- Myles Garrett is lightening quick off the snap.

- DrewStanton is still bad.

- Awesome moment for Sheehy-Giuseppe. Pulling for him. He’s a great story.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Not really that important at this stage, but the tipped pass Callaway caught in the endzone was a touchdown. Refs completely blew that one.

All Pro
All Pro
This was the first pre-season game in a while where I thought the offense looked crisp right from the start. I can't wait to see our #1 and #2 receivers on the field.

Defense? They're coming together. It was only the Redskins but still they looked pretty good. You'll always have the occasional breakdown. I can say that because I'm not a coach type who strokes out when people do boneheaded things.

My best impression was Coach Kitchens. He takes no crap. He stays on the little things. And overall the team seemed prepared and in control on the field. How long has it been since a Browns team hasn't set my head on fire during the pre-season? This is weird.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
It seems that our overall talent was better than the redskins overall talent.

- Higgins would be a #1 on a different team, in cleveland, he is a 3rd or 4th option

- Chad Thomas was pushing the pocket and overall being disruptive, very promising

- Mack Wilson wow, I am very impressed.

- The team looked happy.

- We scored 30 points....why does this matter? I read an article that said that no team who scored less than 43 points in the preseason has made it to the playoffs.

Last edited by Lurker; 08/09/19 09:07 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: VarmintKong
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Lawrence is a beast... Kush outplayed Corrbit.

The center blew his assignment and gave Lawrence a free pass. I was impressed when he ran down Haskins from behind.

I've heard Kush has been getting first team reps over Corbett. What did you notice during the game?

Yeah the center blew it on that one play. Lawrence was able to push the pocket other times in the QB’s face.

When it comes to Corbett and Kush I should point out Corbett played center almost the entire game. Kush started at guard and played with the twos as well. Corbett didn’t seem to get as much of a push in the run game. I didn’t think either played badly and I am interested to see the game on tv.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watched the whole game...

The starting offense could be very special.

Rashard Higgins just keeps getting better and better.

The starting OL impressed.

Chubb was smooth and fast.

Hilliard looked good on the underneath passes. Not so much running the ball.

It appears Corbett is a Bust.

We have to find room on the roster for Guiseppe.

Mack Wilson a 5th round pick? Are you kidding me??

Chad Thomas impressed.

Greedy can tackle and cover...minus the 1 TD bust.

Takitaki has very raw talent.

Myles is unblock-able at this point.

We cannot miss Xtra points!!!!!! Goodbye Joseph!

Drew Stanton needs to go.

Legend
Legend
I was very impressed by Thomas. He did push the pocket like you said.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Awesome moment for Sheehy-Giuseppe.

What did he do?

Joe Thomas #73
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not going to rehash what has already been said but will add ...

Kitchens needs to calm down. Not everything that happens in the game is the end of the world. Way too demonstrative over every little thing. I have this gnawing in my mind that some of it is for show. Not a fan of that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Not going to rehash what has already been said but will add ...

Kitchens needs to calm down. Not everything that happens in the game is the end of the world. Way too demonstrative over every little thing. I have this gnawing in my mind that some of it is for show. Not a fan of that.

If you don't like it find another coach and another team.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Then I would have to find another coach and team where they never did anything I didn't like.

That sounds like a lot of work.

Legend
Legend
I don't know if it was "for show", but it was troubling. Can't constantly blow a fuse, especially considering you have to do this 20+ times. Maybe it's a preseason thing.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1647875 08/09/19 09:30 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
I don't know if it was "for show", but it was troubling. Can't constantly blow a fuse, especially considering you have to do this 20+ times. Maybe it's a preseason thing.

Maybe he's just channeling his inner Hank Stram.

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
My post game thought - we have a HC ladies and gents!

Man what a difference. You can just see how PREPARED and ready to go this team was. The paying attention to little details. We haven’t seen a team prepared in years and the difference was astounding!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Awesome moment for Sheehy-Giuseppe.

What did he do?
punt return for TD

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Man what a difference. You can just see how PREPARED and ready to go this team was. The paying attention to little details. We haven’t seen a team prepared in years and the difference was astounding!

You can tell he is a leader of men.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Not really that important at this stage, but the tipped pass Callaway caught in the endzone was a touchdown. Refs completely blew that one.

I think it would have stood whichever way it had been called. The ball moved a pretty good bit. I think it was a catch, but I see how you could make the argument that it wasn't. Thus, it wasn't clear and obvious. Play stands.

While not ideal that a starter hasn't created a ton of separation at RG, it might speak a bit to our interior depth. Corbett looked solid at center for the most part (not sure how much that impression is from lowered expectations due to some of the fan commentary I'd been hearing.) The holding call in the middle of the 4th looked like a pancake block to me. His snaps looked good. He was finding work. OT depth looks a bit more problematic, though I need to look more closely at Lamm. Whoever 71 is stood out, but not in a good way.

While our drafted DBs showed some things when they knew their job (at least thought they knew), they are still figuring out the whys and how it all fits together. Communication is still a work in progress alongside that. Should be in good shape with the starters, though, and that should come for the young guys.

Our backup DL showed flashes of dominance, but are still maddeningly inconsistent at times.

I think P. Brown might make the team due to his special teams and blocking. Has upside and the all important availability. Needs to catch more consistently.

If our backup QBs see the field in the regular season, we're in trouble. Stanton may be great at knowing what to do, but translating that to being productive on the field is lacking. Looks like time to find him an offensive assistant/analyst position to me. Gilbert may be the opposite. Giving him Stanton's reps could be beneficial. Blough is still living off Rondale Moore's great game against Ohio State. Just doesn't quite have the physical goods. He did make some nice throws to Montgomery.

Gonna be a bunch of tough cuts this year.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Just smilin...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

My only (/biggest) concern is his health. Blowing a vessel didn't look out of the question a few times. Get him on some yoga, Joe Thomas.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 30 Redskins 10 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard