Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
A bit surprised by Willies being cut ... but Taylor takes his spot I guess.

We must really have needed upgraded at OG obviuosly

Yeah I thought Willies would stick as one of bottom WRs...Idk why Dorsey loves Ratley so much, besides him spending an actual draft pick on him.

Ratley is a good player. I don't see any surprise in keeping him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Damn that was awesome! Didn't we also do one of those music city miracle things when returning a punt in that game?

Not sure. I pulled up the box score from that game and it lists Eric Wright as having 0 returns for 62 yards - yea, I don't get it either.

But David Bowens had a 30 yards interception return for a TD AND a 64 yard interception returns for another TD

https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=2010102407

Last edited by Jester; 08/31/19 06:54 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Legend
Legend
L
David Bowens, there's a name.... we gotta get that guy!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I think that we will be looking for a home for one of our depth DL, and probably one of our deepest CB/S. I just don't see us going into the season with 10 DL and 11 in the secondary. Same with 10 OL, though that depends on how bad Forbes's injury is.

I expect that we will look for another TE and WR. 11 offensive weapons (WR, TE, RB) is a ridiculously low total.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
We aren't sitting at #1 or #2 on the waiver wire like the last few year.

It is still fluid for the bottom of the roster guys, but not as much. We aren't going to see a ton of movement. That is why we saw a couple of trades today because we knew we weren't going to get many players after waivers.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
A bit surprised by Willies being cut ... but Taylor takes his spot I guess.

We must really have needed upgraded at OG obviuosly

Yeah I thought Willies would stick as one of bottom WRs...Idk why Dorsey loves Ratley so much, besides him spending an actual draft pick on him.

Ratley is a good player. I don't see any surprise in keeping him.

He (Ratley) must shine more on special teams

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not sure if you mean that comment like he needs to or has, but none the less, he is a good player.

He was hurt for most of camp. That wasn't his fault.

I am glad we kept him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I agree, Ratley was looking pretty good until he was hurt.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I agree, Ratley was looking pretty good until he was hurt.

I must have missed that.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........me too.

I liked Strong better. Hell, I like Strong better than Taylor.

The only thing about Taylor is that it was fairly obvious that the team missed Callaway's speed. Guys like Higgins, Willies, Strong, etc struggled w/out that blazing speed on the field. So, I wonder if Taylor "suffers an season-ending injury" after Callaway comes back?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
LOL........me too.

I liked Strong better. Hell, I like Strong better than Taylor.

The only thing about Taylor is that it was fairly obvious that the team missed Callaway's speed. Guys like Higgins, Willies, Strong, etc struggled w/out that blazing speed on the field. So, I wonder if Taylor "suffers an season-ending injury" after Callaway comes back?

Taylor is more of a slot receiver imo.

And yes I too liked Strong over Ratley

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't know that Taylor was just a slot WR. I thought he was fast. So.........disregard my previous comment. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He ran in the 4.5 sec :40 fast enough, but not a burner.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

And yes I too liked Strong over Ratley

Same. Not sure when Ratley showed whatever it was he showed.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the information. I stand corrected.

Now, I have no idea why we traded for him considering the drops????????????

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I would be scouring the waiver wire for a TE. Harris has not looked good.

May be some year, (before I die), we'll be able to say the Browns are returning all 3 TE's from the previous year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for the information. I stand corrected.

Now, I have no idea why we traded for him considering the drops????????????

Our FO guys probably coveted him coming out, ar least that would be my guess. He is still young so he might potentially improve his game.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C... The cuts and waivers aren't always about talent.. It also has to do with putting together a team that can bond as a team to win as a team.

Fans and outsiders only see the on field expectations and performances...There's more to building a team..

Most people discussing picking up a player is will he be a good fit...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think that we will be looking for a home for one of our depth DL, and probably one of our deepest CB/S. I just don't see us going into the season with 10 DL and 11 in the secondary. Same with 10 OL, though that depends on how bad Forbes's injury is.

I expect that we will look for another TE and WR. 11 offensive weapons (WR, TE, RB) is a ridiculously low total.

The DBs don't surprise me since the league is trending towards more guys who can cover being on the field on D. OL looks a bit excessive.

Forbes could be an IR candidate, I suppose. Wouldn't be surprised if Corbett had a mysterious season-ending concussion early in the season either.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I watched some of Taylors highlights (not that many there), and his speed doesn't show on the field from what I saw.

I would have preferred to keep Strong and/or Willies over trading for Taylor. But whats done is done.

I'm expecting lots of shuffling at TE. One of our weakest links on our team. Zero depth behind Njoku.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I think Willies is a better WR than Ratley...But Ratley is probably a better special teams guy vs Willies...thus why he was retained...Willies looked pretty good this preseason and camp, while Ratley was sitting hurt...they must like something about Ratley.

And I always liked Strong coming out of ASU...all I heard was good things about him this year...but obviously they felt different.

I think Taylor plays faster than his timed speed...and that's all that matters...however his hands are suspect...which is probably the worst trait to be poor in.

Last edited by tru_dawgs; 08/31/19 08:25 PM.
Legend
Legend
I won't second guess Dorsey on WRs. I would guess that he spoke about this move with Freddie, and quite possibly Adam Henry, who has proved to be a miracle worker with WRs with issues. (like he did last year with Perriman, who also had problems with drops prior to coming here)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

T
Legend
Legend
T
general thought.
I hope Willies doesn't turn into the next Keenan McCardell and I have to watch another former Brown catch touchdowns for 16 years in a Charger uniform. banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah.

I was mildly surprised Willies was let go. I'm glad D'ernest Johnson made the team.

I'm okay with keeping the rookie kicker and punter. Hope they work out.... they better.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
He might be a PS candidate ..... or even possibly a guy we bring back after a different move.

Also, Rico Gathers is on a 1 game suspension. I wonder if we make a move to bring him back after that, and maybe a young DB goes to the practice squad.

This is always a fluid time.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
general thought.
I hope Willies doesn't turn into the next Keenan McCardell and I have to watch another former Brown catch touchdowns for 16 years in a Charger uniform. banghead

Dude, I am not the most positive of Brown's posters........but, you rip Dorsey and this year's Browns on almost every post you make.

We have OBJ and Landry. And you are concentrating on Willies? LOL

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

https://www.titansonline.com/news/titans-wr-taywan-taylor-s-speed-got-the-attention-of-lebron-james

I mentioned this earlier, lets hope his hands can improve...Sometimes a change helps (Perriman) well lets hope so

Legend
Legend
Perriman would be a nice comparison, though he wasn’t drafted as a 1st round pick ... He’s still an upgrade over Willies IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
For now we should just trust Dorsey.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Surprise cuts for me:

DeValve, injuries the last two training camps did him in - these were Dorsey and Kitchen years so its probably best cause he is in a collision position and he has had several concussions. Smart guy from Princeton - I'm surprised he won't retire.

Colquitt, bitter sweet, reliable smart kicker, above average. sweet cause the Hammer is something special, young, athletic and he can also kick-off as well as hit some long FGs rather try that than a hail mary!

Willies, I thought he showed good length in arms and ability to catch with his hands, being 6'4" had best height for our WRs.

Disappointed players not cut:

TE: Harris - don't like favoritism and this is a Dorsey pick up. He came here with high acclaim in his blocking but displayed anything but...he didn't show any great use of his body in catching high thrown balls and his hands are suspect, outside of that he did great rolleyes

WR: Ratley - I mean I like the kid but he did nothing in training camp and being a bubble guy don't understand what he did to obtain his position with the team I like Willies and Miller over him. But he must have some smarts his skills are ok don't get me wrong its just he was out most of training camp and didn't participate in preseason... this is a ??? for me on why?

Got to run, will attempt golf with a good friend who has his draft this evening and wants to pick my brain...lol I will emphasize to pick the Browns Defense wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Damn that was awesome! Didn't we also do one of those music city miracle things when returning a punt in that game?

Not sure. I pulled up the box score from that game and it lists Eric Wright as having 0 returns for 62 yards - yea, I don't get it either.

But David Bowens had a 30 yards interception return for a TD AND a 64 yard interception returns for another TD

https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=2010102407
IIRC, we lined up 2 returners, one caught the kick and lateralled it over to Wright on the other side of the field, who then took off.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
general thought.

Dude, I am not the most positive of Brown's posters........but, you rip Dorsey and this year's Browns on almost every post you make.

We have OBJ and Landry. And you are concentrating on Willies? LOL

I woke up today thinking yesterdays moves could have cost the Browns a playoff berth.

If they rip up team chemistry like that, I mean, I don't remember any playoff team that signs two linemen and a shuffles Wr's on cutdown day.

There is a time for this, it's March, April, May.

When the team loses more than they win, and people ask why, I'd tell them, 3 months ago, they had better Rb's behind Chubb,
and 3 months ago, they had better TE's behind Njoku,
and 3 months ago, they had better WR's behind Landry and Odell,

But late in the process they decided to shuffle the deck again, and that hinders development of team chemistry.

^ And I didn't, nor recall, mentioning that persons name.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
j/c

A couple of these cuts had me scratching my head, but we also need to remember that most of these guys will rarely be on the field. Maybe special teams or because of injuries. And we all know that bottom part of the roster is in pretty much constant flux.

Now I'm just concentrating on regular season. Finally!

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I'm disappointed in both Willies and Strong being cut, but I am assuming it is because of ST, or lack thereof.

I have read a ton about Willie Harvey and I will be honest I didn't know much about the guy before all the recent articles and now I am kinda wishing we kept him. If he isn't scooped up my guess is we will grab him and put him on our PS.

Yes, my biggest worry was our STs, but I am happy to roll with and trust the process that kept them all on the 53.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think there is more to come. Some positions seem to be too deep right now, as in too many kept. I'm wondering if Dorsey is looking at trading a few of the guys he kept.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Titans couldnt wait to part ways with Taylor. Strong had a better resume.
Taylor isn't the most intelligent WR.
Mental errors got him out of Tennessee.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Didn't quite get that. One more time, please.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

Taylor had more yards last year, his 2nd year, than Strong has in his career. How is Strong's resume better?

Legend
Legend
Jc

Prediction for today: We get a TE somehow and perhaps a defensive back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cleveland Browns Cuts

Link Copied to Clipboard