#1678235 10/13/19 04:32 PM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
20-6 lead squandered.

Failure on all sides of the ball.

It's the 2008 season all over again. This season is almost as unwatchable as the Sashi years.

Changes are needed. I don't know where the change should start.

Basically, this image is us.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hate this team so much right now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Awful second half...

Baker needs to protect the damn ball..

Officials were awful....

Defense wore down....

Better showing the last week initially... baker needs to get better... coaching needs to get better...

Chubb with another good game

<><

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Kitchens and Mayfield are not the answers.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
P
Legend
Legend
P
Freddy ????
Baker Int's although a lot have been dropped by Wr's into the opponent's hands
Nick Chubb is a beast and needs more than 20 Carries
Garrett is a sack master now with 9 sacks
Defense soft against the run
OL did not play horrible today
WR's and RB's need to squeeze the ball
Play Calling ???
Officials should be investigated

Oh yea Ward and Greedy flamingmad

Last edited by PastorMarc; 10/13/19 04:39 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
L
Legend
Legend
L
our shopping list for offseason appears longer than last years.. We need a franchise QB, HC, DC, OC, LB's, 2 safties, 2 CBs that aren't cream puffs and some dline that can actually shed blocks.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I know it was over at halftime (seattle scored prior to halftime)....same old Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Freddy aint ready for the job = Period

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

A lot of these involve Baker throwing behind WRs. Derek Anderson developed the same problem in 2008.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Rigged. Anyone who thinks otherwise... I'm very jealous of you. Enjoy the rest of your cocktail and happy life.

They called a catch to end the game when the BALL HIT THE GROUND AWAY FROM THE PLAYER.

It wasn't a weird bobble, it wasn't a roll over, it wasn't a bad angle.

There's literally no way anyone let alone a ref standing 10 feet away could think that was a catch unless they were cheating.

Also the man down field, the no call D holding, hands to hte face, the fake holding call, the fake roughing call and the 4th down fumble BS.

I'm done spending any money on the NFL. I'll enjoy it as free entertainment, but it's clearly not a real sport.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

A lot of these involve Baker throwing behind WRs. Derek Anderson developed the same problem in 2008.

All NFL QB's throw to the back shoulder the Receivers are supposed to catch the ball !!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We got really juiced after beating Baltimore...and now Cincy nearly beat Baltimore haha our team is horrid

Legend
Legend
What's tough is I expected the Hawks to win... before the game... they have a good coach and qb and overall are the better team.... but we had them on the ropes early... and we didn't put them away.... then we had chance to come back later in the game and couldn't do it.... this team is a long way away from learning how to be a winner...

<><

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Turnovers(not apple ones)…
Our DB's cant tackle on a level that makes it almost unbelievable.
Sadly I see it right in front of my face..
Where are the pricey stars in crunch time?
So tired of seeing second tier players drop passes in the breadbasket...
BTW I have no kind words for the GD REFS!!!
So how will the league office frame this "our bad" on the officiating, for this team in particular?
I swear the NFL is fixing games
I think it needs investigated federally.

No wonder this team will always remain the whipping boys of the league.
Feeling more and more like the heel for continuing to watch this franchise when I know how it is always going to go.
How did he put it today, Suffering for decades? Yup.
I wonder if it is my fault?
When I turned the game on it was 20-12...
FML!~

Same old groundhog day crap I have been seeing for way too long of a time.

Last edited by Woofurious; 10/13/19 04:50 PM.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
Legend
Legend
One thing I will say is this: I am watching the Jets run screen after Screen to drive down the field ...... and wonder why we don't run screens?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
the refs absolutely wrecked us today.

but there were SOOOO many bad plays from offense and defense that we could've overcame the refs.

our defense couldn't stop the run or pass. we got some sacks but it didnt even matter, we got wrecked with Wilson's mobility. absolutely wrecked. he extended plays all damn game and gashed us.

and whats worse? they were down two starting OL. and we still got destroyed. guess being ranked 9th in pressure doesnt mean all that much huh?

do not get me started on Freddie kitchens and his atrocious play calling.

i mean how in the world do we pass MORE with the lead? somebody explain that to me. Chubb had us rolling, and then we get a big lead and start acting like we're a pass first team. i dont freaking get it.

And baker.

look guys....people will make the very viable argument that 2 of these picks should've been caught.

but those passes to landry and hilliard were behind them. Baker is NOT accurate right now. and nobody can claim otherwise. baker is either throwing high or behind. very few passes this season have been on the money.

he now had 5 TD's, and 11 picks.

in what world are we gonna win with that?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
One thing I will say is this: I am watching the Jets run screen after Screen to drive down the field ...... and wonder why we don't run screens?

We seem to be dying on the hill of trying to install the Air Raid offense in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
i mean how in the world do we pass MORE with the lead? somebody explain that to me. Chubb had us rolling, and then we get a big lead and start acting like we're a pass first team. i dont freaking get it.

25 passes to 11 rushes in the first half.

Chubb had 9 carries, very head scratching to say the least.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Meh, I put this one on Freddie. He sucks as a rookie HC. We outplayed them the first quarter. I don't understand all the shotgun. It seems like we forced the ball to OBJ a few times. The ints were bad breaks, partly baker, partly WRs. I'm glad the bye is here, maybe Freddie can out coach the bye... smh

I still feel we'll finish in the 10 win neighborhood. I think we were the better team today and just beat ourselves.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Too many turnovers...
Too many penalties...
Too many questionable offensive play calls...
Too many missed tackles...
A Defense that still can't stop the run...
Poor clock management at end of first half...
Bakers timing still off with receivers...(guess sitting out ALL preseason is paying dividends now)...

We don't know how to win...
Never liked the coaching changes...Dorsey has to take some responsibility for this. He took a staff that had this team playing disciplined football at end of 2018...jettisoned the staff for an unknown flash in the pan...maybe next year people...maybe...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Turnovers. Penalties (I know some of them were questionable). Dropped passes. Can't stop the run. Can't score from the 1 yard line. Still need to learn how to win. Tough loss. Patriots will school them after the bye. But watch out after that. Maybe not playoffs but this season is not over. It's year one with this group. Hang in there. Stay tuned.

Everyone have a good week off. Patriots probably going to teach us a few things. Relax. It's going to be OK. No, we're not going to the Super Bowl. We may not even make the playoffs. But this season isn't going to be as bad as you think. Really.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
1st String
1st String
Correct me if I’m wrong but was that horse collar penalty called by New York officiating after the play or did I misread what the commentators said? New York can call penalties now? With the newest rules, the constant reviews, the challenges etc. they might as well take the pads off and make it a flag football league.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I’m a tired fan. Tired of this thread. Tired of the same old crap every season. Doesn’t matter who fields this team, who coaches, who is the owner. It’s the same.....thing... I’ve never been so close to giving up and burning everything I own in the brown and orange. I want to give up. For my sanity and personal health. Tired of being angry every week due to dangled hope on the field, just to be crushed by either bad performance, referees, or coaching. I freaking hate my parents for passing on this purgatory to me. It’s a weekly misery during the fall that comes annually and has no sight of changing.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
F the refs
F the coach
F the team

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Glad I turned it off at the half.

B
1st String
1st String
B
Originally Posted By: jaybird
What's tough is I expected the Hawks to win... before the game... they have a good coach and qb and overall are the better team.... but we had them on the ropes early... and we didn't put them away.... then we had chance to come back later in the game and couldn't do it.... this team is a long way away from learning how to be a winner...

This is one of the problems, when we do get a big lead, we fold and allow teams to come back, stay in the game, and eventually win. The only two exceptions are the Jets and Rats games.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Yup most teams will win being up 20 to 6...the bottom feeders will lose those games...that's us

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
I’m a tired fan. Tired of this thread. Tired of the same old crap every season. Doesn’t matter who fields this team, who coaches, who is the owner. It’s the same.....thing... I’ve never been so close to giving up and burning everything I own in the brown and orange. I want to give up. For my sanity and personal health. Tired of being angry every week due to dangled hope on the field, just to be crushed by either bad performance, referees, or coaching. I freaking hate my parents for passing on this purgatory to me. It’s a weekly misery during the fall that comes annually and has no sight of changing.

I feel you! Don't give up til after the season though, because our division stinks and right now we are playing high profile QBs on highly marketable teams.

If we play the exact same game we played today it's a win VS the Bills, Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins, Steelers and Ravens, which just so happens to be the remainder of our schedule after NE.

Even with these botched losses we could still end up 9-7 which may be good enough to win a weak division.

Dean #1678273 10/13/19 04:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dean
Correct me if I’m wrong but was that horse collar penalty called by New York officiating after the play or did I misread what the commentators said? New York can call penalties now? With the newest rules, the constant reviews, the challenges etc. they might as well take the pads off and make it a flag football league.

I don't understand how it was a horse collar... had him by the chest and back of the jersey...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Alot of us agreed Baker might have second year struggles and its occurring. Couple that with rook HC who seemingly second guesses and outsmarts himself and it's a recipe for what we see.

Our (non playing) DBs are soft too.
Get on the field...

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 10/13/19 04:58 PM.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

We did a few times, however Chubb fumbled on one...(not blaming him for the loss, but turnovers kill a team) Our lineman never get in place...and our backs seem to all get dragged down early on screens...don't seem fast enough to get out in space imho.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Our talent is fine. Our coaches suck. Its a straight up crime to suck this bad when we have the talent we have.

Freddie has no clue. We are ahead by a bunch in the first half and Chubb is on a roll and he abandons the run. wtf? His play calling SUCKS and this isnt the first game either.

I used to like Wilks. But he sucks too. Did he really think he would beat wilson by bringing 4 all game? Wilks NEVER brings the heat and blitzes. That is a FAIL of a strategy, especially against the stronger QBs. If you cant put them on their ass YOU will LOSE. Wilson had all day to throw all game.

I hate the coaches of this team, and if they are all fired during the bye I wont be sad.

We have all this talent on the team, and its being WASTED.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
j/c:

The game went pretty much how I expected it would, unfortunately.

All Pro
All Pro
Watched Landry pull up on a block after he was flagged for the BS blindside block. It would have been a first down on that play but refs quelled any fire from this team and the fans earlier in the quarter.

Last edited by Woofurious; 10/13/19 05:03 PM.

Einstein could not even fathom the mathematical improbabilities of the Browns woes.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but I believe the turning point in the game was the inability by the coach or the QB to manage the clock at the end of the first half. A 10 year old would know better. Not only did they not milk the clock, they rushed the play, Baker threw a bad ball, and with the time left on the clock it was the difference between 27-12 and 20-18. I don't mind losing; I just hate losing by being dumb.

I've also never seen so many interceptions over just a few games span that hit the receivers hands. It's like a case of really bad luck.

On a positive note, I know those that are upset won't want to hear that but this was the good Baker from last year for 90% of the game. I think that's a positive sign moving forward.

B
1st String
1st String
B
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

All NFL QB's throw to the back shoulder the Receivers are supposed to catch the ball !!!

Exactly, Baker made some decent throws, not perfect, maybe not even great but the WR's got both hands on the ball and should have made the catch, they didn't and it ended up in the air and picked.

I'm certainly not saying Baker has looked great this season, he's regressed in a lot of areas, but this loss was not his fault.

The D had some good play throughout the game but got gassed later in the game and that spelled the end of any comeback.

When you jump out 20-6, you need to find a way to win, the Browns have not found the ability to put a game away, unless it's against weaker teams, and I consider the Rats to be weaker compared to a handful of other teams, not the weakest team but I doubt they go to the Super Bowl.

You can bet, in two weeks, NE will beat the snot out of the Browns, that effectively will end the Browns hopes for playoffs, if it's not already ended, which I think it is.

Oh and the refs weree f'n horrible today. I truly feel there could be conspiracy against the Browns. The blind side block call against Landry was one of the worst calls I've ever seen, even the announcers were scratching their heads at that one, then made the excuse of a young ref, well, if he's young and inexperienced then let him learn in preseason, in my opinion, he should not have a job after today.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Originally Posted By: Dean

I don't understand how it was a horse collar... had him by the chest and back of the jersey...

Darryl Johnson said they changed the horse collar rule this year to extend to the nameplate on the back of the jersey which is where he had him. Personally I think it's ridiculous, but that's the rule now according to him.

Last edited by Psydeffect; 10/13/19 05:07 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This game was utterly exhausting. I felt in my bones after that 1st quarter that it was an apparition. I kept thinking that we’re going to screw the pooch eventually, let them back in, we can’t sustain this, we have to get crazy out in front of the Seahawks, like 30 points to have a real expectation of winning. I know that speaks to my psychology but with this team... I’m not wrong.

It’s scary how good we can be when all cylinders are firing. But we’re undisciplined, we’re immature and we just don’t have what it takes to hang with elite teams for 4 quarters. Maybe in time it could come together but I fear the internal forces at work with this team and FO will tear it apart and unless there’s a seismic shift, we’re on a course for major upheaval again in the off season.

We still have a lot of season left but I think we know exactly what they are right now. We’ve seen the range, I know how to bet on them. What they are is not an easy or quick fix, it’s root level. Ultimately it’s a leadership problem. We have to hope that our coaches and key players are not crumbling, that they’re soberly learning and will get better. The alternative is ruin.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yes, Baker cant throw and catch the ball too. There were some bad drops.

But that is part of any game.

I feel the bad coaching and play calling is the over arching reason we lost.

No Craps Given
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
What a horrible game to watch. On Monday against the niners I quickly slipped into apathy Browns apathy mode where I stare at the TV blankly and say nothing and feel nothing but today I had hope and got angry as they let it slip away. It was the Browns game to lose and they lost.

1) Freddie needs to answer for this. He needs to explain what is wrong with this football team.

2) The officiating was horrible. It is amazing that the officiating in the NFL can be so bad year after year after year. Sometimes I wonder why I continue to watch. It’s bad on two levels. One, they throw too many flags. It is disruptive to the flow of the game to see flag after flag after flag which, of course, have dramatic impact on the outcome of the game. (2) Blatantly poor calls which ruin the game occur far too often. No excuse for it to happen as often as it does and no excuse for it to have not been remedied before this by the NFL.

3) So many balls bobbled into the air today by the receivers. There probably could have been more interceptions because of this. It needs to stop.

4) Nice game for Chubb.

5) Baker had some nice plays and some bad plays. Of course I’ve read some comments on here about us needing a franchise QB but I just don’t see any reason to give up on Baker yet. Quite frankly he has shown a lot of upside and he is basically in his 3rd coaching regime in 20 NFL games. I think we underestimate the impact of that sometimes. He had the Hue regime, the Gregg regime and the Freddie regime. I know Kitchens was involved in all of those but in varying roles and it matters. It’s not the same as if Baker got to sit on the bench for a year with Mike McCarthy as the coach and Favre as QB and all that consistency. Just think of your own job and think if your bosses keep changing and think of the impact it’s going to have on you, especially if you yourself were just starting out and learning. So I’m not giving up on Baker.

I’m pissed Freddie isn’t getting it done. I was yelling for him to be fired during the game. But it may be in our best interest to let Freddie develop because he may develop into a good coach even though he has some initial struggles. We may have some growing pains but it doesn’t mean it won’t get ironed out throughout the course of THIS season. Certainly a mid season firing rarely does any good. Last year when we fired Hue we did have some benefit but there would be no benefit in firing Freddie after giving him 5 weeks. It would be ridiculous. It may benefit him to have a bye week to regroup. Unfortunate to have the Pats the first week after the bye but if the Browns can beat them, it will be a great win for us.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Seahawks 32 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard