Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I know that wasn't directed at me but as lifelong Browns fan for 46 years, I would NEVER turn my back on them. But I sure do complain a lot! smile

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bringing 4 will never pressure an opposing QB. Ever. I dont like our defensive gameplan at all.

If we have this same plan against the Pats, Brady will rack up 70.

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Bringing 4 will never pressure an opposing QB. Ever. I dont like our defensive gameplan at all.

I think it's due to the CB injuries? We blitzed a ton when they were healthy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker barked on the refs in his PG interview. Probably get fined for it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I'll say this . . .

It's a tale of two teams. One, Seattle, is a well oiled, well coached, the chemistry is there, the talent, they have it. This is why they make the playoffs.

The second team, us, is a herky jerk, bucket of talent and little talent coached by a guy who should never have sniffed the job.

We are not well coached at all on all sides of the ball. We look good one week, like crap the next. Wilks has one good game against Baltimore but can't call one at all against San Fran and this week with Seattle.

We may do okay down the stretch after New England. But we don't have it together to run with the big boys of the league. Whether or not that changes is gonna depend on how well Kitchens learns how to be a head coach. And it's gonna be a painful learning process cause he sucks.

Baker has regressed but I don't lay it all on him. Monken and Kitchens are playing a role in his game. It's an ad hoc offense each week. What can we drum up to win a game? It's sandlot football.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Can't put this loss on the D. And can't blame Freddie, even though you may not like the scheme or some of the calls. The five turnovers and the blocked punt are the real culprits. Take those away, we win this game walking away.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

When have they ever been healthy?

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Baker barked on the refs in his PG interview. Probably get fined for it.

He's allowed to complain about refs when he gets his completion percentage above 68%, stops throwing needless INTS, and learns to throw in-front of a receiver.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R

Game 1.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Game 1.

We didnt win that game....

D sucked vs Titans.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Watching other teams who’ve beat us (Titans, Rams, Seahawks, 49ers) ... they are SO much better coached than we are. LIke, it wasn’t close. Efficient, prepared, cohesive, etc.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
J
Legend
Legend
J
There are many problems with this team. Most of those are probably not fixable this year, unless significant changes are made. We do not have a team that can beat good teams in most games. My fear is that the team will look better in the weaker part of the schedule in the second half of the season and not change what needs changed, which will be disastrous for next year.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Watching other teams who’ve beat us (Titans, Rams, Seahawks, 49ers) ... they are SO much better coached than we are. LIke, it wasn’t close. Efficient, prepared, cohesive, etc.

I'm not saying your post isn't true some of the time, but as fans of one team we tend to be overly harsh on our own team and overly embellish the good qualities of other teams.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I'm not saying your post isn't true some of the time, but as fans of one team we tend to be overly harsh on our own team and overly embellish the good qualities of other teams.
Yeah I can agree with that. Every fan base questions their coaches. I wonder if you’d poll NFL execs anonymously how they’d answer, but I bet they’d say the Browns are among the worst coached teams thus far

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
My fear is that the team will look better in the weaker part of the schedule in the second half of the season and not change what needs changed, which will be disastrous for next year.

This is exactly my fear.

We can't accept mediocrity, or bank on "winnable" easy games.

Great, so we beat a bunch of teams with 1-3 wins. I'd hate to hang our hats on that, yet we can't say "oh, look at these signature wins against the elite teams".

You are who you play as. I want us to beat elite level competition, and I don't want us to settle with being okay with beating scrubs. That's unacceptable.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Freddy needs to stop being arrogant and stop making the same mistake that hue and shurmer did, which is calling the plays. This doesn't work in the nfl more times than it does. Let's see what monk can do.

Wilks....man his defense confuses me sometimes. He runs a 4-2-5. I understand this is a passing league but not having that third lb is hurting us in the run game, especially since Garrett and Vernon. Are basically strictly pass rushers.

Anyone thinking that the return of ward and greedy....if they ever return, is gonna make a huge difference you might be in for a rude awakening. Honestly I would keep one on the bench and keep Mitchell in. He is a damn good CB imo.

This team sorely needs a fullback.

Our passing scheme seems to confuse our players more than it does the opponenet.

On training camp I kept hearing about how Lawrence was this unstoppable force even against the first string. That's because he was going up against our porous o line. This guy is good for being fined every other week and that's about it.

This shotgun/pistol offense needs to be trimmed down to. Run the damn ball from under center. Also I would like to see more play action also coming from under center.

I think we can all agree the hope of making the playoffs is done, it's over. At this point being 8-8 would be a massive success

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: JulesDawg
There are many problems with this team. Most of those are probably not fixable this year, unless significant changes are made. We do not have a team that can beat good teams in most games. My fear is that the team will look better in the weaker part of the schedule in the second half of the season and not change what needs changed, which will be disastrous for next year.

IDK, so many of the issues look execution-related to me. Specifically the turnovers. For example, Baker mentioned in his presser that a couple of his back-shoulder passes were intentionally thrown there to protect the WR or take him away from the safety, but clearly, he and the WRs weren't on the same page. So perhaps when they learn to expect back-shoulder passes in certain situations, that will change. I'm not apologizing for the mistakes, just saying we often don't have all the information, and as infuriating as the interceptions and incompletions can be, there may be execution-related issues going on that we're not privilege to. So to your point, perhaps if they get better at doing what they're supposed to be doing, they will become better overall, and start winning the more difficult games and beating the better teams. Seattle is a good team, a 5-1 team that we should have beaten today. The Browns looked like crap often enough to lose the game, but take away those turnovers and replace them with proper execution, and we win this game and this is an entirely different conversation. JMHO

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
*Regarding Kitchens, Dorsey made a huge mistake.
*How long has Baker been playing hurt?
*After NE schedule gets a little easier. Brown's could still make playoffs.
*If they don't make playoffs, or have a winning record, Kitchens could be done after just 1 year as HC.
*After the talent Browns got last off season, Dorsey can't be happy with what he's seeing. Kitchens seat maybe getting warm.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess it's time to go back to not caring if the Browns win or lose and just focus on fantasy football.

I just did this 30 minutes ago and my day got better.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
I guess it's time to go back to not caring if the Browns win or lose and just focus on fantasy football.

Doesn't work for me because my three fantasy teams suck worse than the Browns. tongue

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

Too early for not caring.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Doesn't work for me because my three fantasy teams suck worse than the Browns. tongue

Lol, sorry.

It's the only thing that has me still watching football today.

Legend
Legend
Yikes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Need to know how much of that is due to BS & phantom calls.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
You don't go from being a candidate for NFL Rookie of the Year to awful. I think Baker is still a franchise QB that's playing hurt. IMHO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lol, sorry.

It's the only thing that has me still watching football today.

I need to go back to auto-drafting. willynilly

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Awful officiating, interceptions sink Cleveland Browns

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/10/awful-officiating-interceptions-sink-cleveland-browns.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND – If the Browns had not thrown three interceptions, they probably would have won this game.

Or if Nick Chubb had not fumbled near the goal line...

Or if the officials had not messed up the call where Jarvis Landry appeared to fumble AFTER he crossed the goal line...

Or if the officials simply would have kept most of the flags in their pockets and allowed both teams to play the game and decide the issue...

Final score: Seattle Seahawks 32, Cleveland Browns 28.

This is going to sound strange because the Browns lost, but they showed more grit and character in this game than at any time this season.

I write that knowing there was some strange play-calling by coach Freddie Kitchens.

And knowing there were some significant breakdowns by Steve Wilks’ defense.

And knowing the 2-4 Browns now have lost all three of their home games.

“You can’t move the ball if you keep turning it over,” said Kitchens. “We scored 28 points and had four turnovers.”

That is the bottom line, a blown opportunity for the Browns. The Browns had a 20-6 lead in the first half but couldn’t maintain it.

So this is not all about officiating.

EMBARRASSING OFFICIATING

But this is probably the worst officiated NFL game I’ve seen in years...

If not decades.

If the NFL were to truly study the tape of this game, a couple of officials should be suspended or at least fined for general malfeasance.

I’m not going to spend a lot time on the details of all the bizarre or just-flat-out wrong calls. There were too many.

Most went against the Browns, but not all.

Nor do I know if the NFL had sent a competent officiating crew to the game if it would have made a difference in the final outcome. The Seahawks, now 5-1, are the more talented team and Russell Wilson is a quarterback who finds ways to win games.

But the players, the fans and the league deserves a better performance than they received on this sunny October afternoon.

BAKER’S ACHING HIP

Baker Mayfield hurt his hip with 11:09 left in the third quarter when he scrambled for a first down. Rather than slide before being tackled, he tried to spin away. He still was taken down.

When the QB stood up, you could see his hip was aching.

He stayed in the game, but didn’t look comfortable throwing the ball.

For the game, Mayfield was 22-of-37 passing for 249 yards. He threw a 31-yard TD pass to Ricky Seals-Jones. He also ran for a 10-yard TD.

It was not a good game for Mayfield, but it was a determined one. It was the kind of game that reminds you Mayfield has the heart and inner-toughness of an NFL quarterback.

Chubb continues to be the most consistent player on offense. He ran for 122 yards on 20 carries, including a pair of TDs.

I was hoping to write about how Mayfield played through the pain...

How Chubb carried the team on his back while Mayfield’s hip was aching...

How the defense made some big plays at the right time...

How Odell Beckham was an impact receiver with 101 yards and six catches...

And all of that is true... but the Browns lost.

Four turnovers, a blocked punt and the inability to stop Seattle when it meant the most were the main reasons for the loss.

But they were not the only ones.

The officials had their role, too, and there was no excuse for how they clearly were overwhelmed by the speed and physical nature of the game.

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen

Too early for not caring.

There's a solution. Might be coaching or it might be coaching. Freddie's not a good game day planner and I'm not sure he's any type of disciplinarian. William's had consequences to crap performance. Most younger men dont like that but I think we need some of that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
You don't go from being a candidate for NFL Rookie of the Year to awful. I think Baker is still a franchise QB that's playing hurt. IMHO

Possibly, but it also looks to me like he's pressing too much. Last week it was all the overthrows, this week it was getting cute with placement. Seems to me he was playing more within himself last year, now it seems he's trying to be a hero on every play. Maybe it was because he had more to think about last year, but he needs to calm the F down.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Why won't the Cleveland media hold Freddie accountable?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
No clue to even start after that mess. This being said, tons of missed tackles, 4 turnovers, way too many penalties, some awful refereeing and terrible defensive play calling ... only lost by 4.

If we ever figure out how to play football, we might be pretty good

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The sky is not falling guys.. The calls to fire the head coach are laughable. Freddie didnt fumble the ball, or drop balls causing INTS that were within a FOOT of the receivers.. He didnt miss all the tackles or cause a bone headed rusher to hit the QB late. He didnt make the refs throw ASININE flags. Is he perfect ? Hell no. But he's NOT the reason we lost today.. RELAX.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
M
Legend
Legend
M
- The crowd at the game was great. People at the game getting irate Chubb is getting the ball more.

- An 0-3 effort at home this year for the fans. No wonder they offered season ticket holders 30% off food and beverage at the game today.

- The penalties and turnovers are absolutely maddening.

- This team is far too undisciplined.

- Freddie is completely overwhelmed.

- I thought Juice was going to physically assault Freddie over throwing the challenge flag on what should have been a TD for Landry.

- A 20-6 lead blown.

- Watching this team attempt to run and/or call plays effectively inside the 10 yards is torture.

- The refs were garbage. They've been garbage league wide all year.

- Chubb is the best player on the team. The offense is best when it runs through him.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Also, did it seem Freddie called more pass plays once everyone in the whole world knew Baker was hurt? I mean I could be wrong...But we risked more hits on Baker, and more arrant throws...both of which had happened under laws of probability.

I knew Freddie thought he was probably trying to outsmart the Seahawks...But I just thought that was dumb.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
The sky is not falling guys.. The calls to fire the head coach are laughable. Freddie didnt fumble the ball, or drop balls causing INTS that were within a FOOT of the receivers.. He didnt miss all the tackles or cause a bone headed rusher to hit the QB late. He didnt make the refs throw ASININE flags. Is he perfect ? Hell no. But he's NOT the reason we lost today.. RELAX.

Outside of Baltimore, please tell me a time he had our guys in a position to win the game against an elite opponent?

Legend
Legend
It will all be ok when we get the apology letters from the NFL on Monday.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I thought Chubb’s fumble was near midfield

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

I thought it was too...on that screen play

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

I thought it was too...on that screen play
yeah, it was on their 45

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Seahawks 32 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard