Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
What does she call you? wink

Peenie ....

*LOL* .... sorry bro ... i couldn’t resist, the door was just too wide open my friend ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend

Just stuff floating around.

No price tag. Besides there maybe a problem doing business with the Bengals. Somehow I think Mr. Brown may have made a promise to his father.

The Browns may or may not be in the market for a TE.

Njoku is out till week 12 at least.

Legend
Legend
This whole Trent Williams thing is starting to sound like Orlando Pace.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
This whole Trent Williams thing is starting to sound like Orlando Pace.

My thoughts exactly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

I don't know if it's just me but it's not great that we don't know who our left tackle is halfway into the season. Again, maybe it's just me.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I don't know if it's just me but it's not great that we don't know who our left tackle is halfway into the season. Again, maybe it's just me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When you are contemplating in-season upgrades at 3/5 of your OL unit - using players already on your roster - you are acknowledging that their play is less-than-desired...if not unacceptable.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When you are contemplating in-season upgrades at 3/5 of your OL unit - using players already on your roster - you are acknowledging that their play is less-than-desired...if not unacceptable.

If only someone could have known Greg Robinson was not good before the season started (or before we re-signed him).

One of the most alarming things is that it doesn't seem like Greg Robinson and the offensive line is among the top five things that need to be fixed.

My guess is that taking reps away reps from Robinson during practice is a way to send him a message that he needs to be better. I expect him to be the starter against the Patriots.

C
Legend
Legend
C

P
Legend
Legend
P
If I thought that were true I too would be concerned. But I don't believe it is. A rumor posted on the Twitterverse doesn't make it so. McCray worked at other positions as well and then the only actual comment was he could help if summoned to start. Twitter is often times no more than an unsubstantiated rumor mill.

There is nobody on this roster more qualified to start at LT than Robinson. That may not be a comforting thought but it's true none the less.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jc

Changing up OL positions halfway through the year is less than ideal ... we must think that Robinson and Hubbard have been very bad

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
One of the most alarming things is that it doesn't seem like Greg Robinson and the offensive line is among the top five things that need to be fixed.

I agree. The OL could be better, but there are other areas of the team that are performing worse than the line.

I am still miffed about a person in our organization providing information to the crew of our nationally televised game that Greg Robinson was the number one reason we are not winning. Who was this person? I hope it wasn't our GM, HC, or another player who likes to speak his mind.

It's almost if this is setting up the line to be a scapegoat. If that's true, this team has big problems moving forward.

V
Legend
Legend
V
If I thought that were true I too would be concerned. But I don't believe it is. A rumor posted on the Twitterverse doesn't make it so. McCray worked at other positions as well and then the only actual comment was he could help if summoned to start. Twitter is often times no more than an unsubstantiated rumor mill.

There is nobody on this roster more qualified to start at LT than Robinson. That may not be a comforting thought but it's true none the less.

I don't know, Pit. I'm getting the feeling that there is truth to these rumors. I don't think the OL has been the problem, but I do think the Browns are considering making changes. Just too many dots are connecting.

Now, I could be wrong and you could be right. Just throwing my opinion out there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no real idea. I just know trying to replace Robinson with anyone currently on our roster would be stupid. My opinion is based on the hope they aren't stupid.

That and none of the rumors can actually be substantiated.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I have no real idea. I just know trying to replace Robinson with anyone currently on our roster would be stupid. My opinion is based on the hope they aren't stupid.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This OL is like changing deck chairs on the Titanic.

They are all pretty much the same with different names minus Bitonio and Tretter.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I agree, I am not a big Greg fan, and we may need better talent there if we want to compete for a title moving forward, but that talent is just not on this team at this time and he is our best option. Doesn't mean its a good option, but our best, IMO.

I think the staff is trying to send a message he needs to shape up and play better. I would side on betting he starts against NE.

Legend
Legend

ahh

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Well regardless of who starts at LT this week, it's always smart to give players some reps at different positions...as we learned week one.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I can’t believe I read 10 pages of comments and no one mentioned the quote in the article that Gregg Robinson said the Vaccaro kick was “inadvertent”.

For shame Dawgs. For shame

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good point.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I can’t believe I read 10 pages of comments and no one mentioned the quote in the article that Gregg Robinson said the Vaccaro kick was “inadvertent”.

For shame Dawgs. For shame

Maybe he meant he inadvertently kicked him with one foot -- he was really trying to kick him with both feet.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
From everything I've read there will most likely be some changes to one of the three spots that have been mentioned, but they are not willing to replace all three. At the most I would guess they experiment with some changes on the right side. As Pit mentioned earlier in the thread, there isn't a better replacement for Robinson currently on the team.

The team still has issues that need to be addressed before we are ready to be a legitimate SB contender, and it isn't going to happen until the off season. My personal opinion is that while the OTs haven't been great it really hasn't been that bad. Personally, I think our DL has been way more of an issue as the DTs are getting very little push, and we still lack serious depth in that area.

I was always hoping to just sneak into the playoffs this year so the guys can get that experience. I still think that's a possibility but we obviously have to be more consistent and disciplined.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We can blame the OL or DL, bro............but in my opinion--and this is no knock on your opinion--but I think Baker, Freddie, and team chemistry have been our three biggest issues.

With that said, both guys and the chemistry can improve and the season will be righted, but as of right now......they are the biggest issues.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't disagree with that. Again, I didn't have the same SB expectations that some have had so I am not all that surprised with growing pains from Freddie and Mayfield....I expected them.

I don't know how much you watched of Watson last year, but he really struggled the 1st half of the year as Defenses started giving him different looks post snap. Again, my opinion, but Baker is going through this right now. I just hope he grows and figures it out like DW did. Freddie is a 1st year HC and he should get better (I hope). The decision to not play any starters in pre season was puzzling, and I think that has hurt us this year. The discipline and play calling at times have been lacking as well.

Like I said we have a lot of areas to improve to be even close to a SB team. Some of those improvements have to come from guys already in house (Baker and Freddie as you mentioned) and some of it has to come with additional personnel provided in the off-season.

I just want to sneak into the Playoffs this year so these guys get a taste of that, because it will help us when we are ready.

Of course if Baker/Freddie aren't the answer we are probably light years away from that anyway.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been pretty negative about our OL, I think they've been a major problem and hindering our ability to allow slow developing plays to, well, develop but I think making major changes, unless there's a clear upgrade, is playing with fire. We can manage around the problem for the remainder of the season with quick outs, play action and leaning on the running game.

If they come out after the bye with a significantly retooled OL and they lay a major egg against New England's D (VERY real possibility in the best of scenarios) then what? Go back? This feels very old Browns. Very scape goaty and not just everyone hunkering down and pulling together. I've had doubts about Kitchens from the beginning, this adds major fuel to that fire. My only hope is that this is all head games for the hoodie. We come out next week with the same OL and run no huddle all game.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
I've been pretty negative about our OL, I think they've been a major problem and hindering our ability to allow slow developing plays to, well, develop but I think making major changes, unless there's a clear upgrade, is playing with fire. We can manage around the problem for the remainder of the season with quick outs, play action and leaning on the running game.

If they come out after the bye with a significantly retooled OL and they lay a major egg against New England's D (VERY real possibility in the best of scenarios) then what? Go back? This feels very old Browns. Very scape goaty and not just everyone hunkering down and pulling together. I've had doubts about Kitchens from the beginning, this adds major fuel to that fire. My only hope is that this is all head games for the hoodie. We come out next week with the same OL and run no huddle all game.

Playing with fire indicates that there's a chance for success... and therefore is the wrong phrase for juggling our Oline midseason (assuming there's no TWilliams (or equivalent) trade).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
A coach once told me that the offensive line was the most important unit on a football team...he was right, too.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
A coach once told me that the offensive line was the most important unit on a football team...he was right, too.

At the time that coach informed me of his O-line beliefs, I'm not sure I believed him...me being a HS sophomore and him being a first time HC.

At that time, I loved playing LB and had this coach told me that LBers were the most important unit on the football field, I would have had no problem believing the coach.

Legend
Legend
What would he have to say about this group, this season, at this time. I think some of this OL has to change. Just have mixed feelings about Robinson.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Many are claiming that the Oline is horrible, I don't think it is that bad. Some blame Baker for holding the ball. I agree he does at times, but some times he is holding it due to the fact that they are getting to him or very close very quickly.

All these different NFL sites show that him and Hubbard struggle and rate very low. Some like to blame the tough defenses we play as a semi excuse.

My point is most are correct, even if their thinking is different. When I watch the games, to my casual eye, it appears that the run blocking is okay, but pass blocking is struggling. I understand all the talk about throwing in 2.5 seconds or less, and agree many QBs hold the ball longer than that. Also these times are averages. One broken play or two with a scramble involved can skew the average. But to me, Robinson seems to not give full effort consistently. Almost that once he gets beaten, he dwells on that and his game suffers.

In the end, we need two tackles that are dependable to achieve reaching the hype this offense got pre-season. Baker needs to hold up his game too. He is playing like he did before Robinson was inserted. I think he lacks trust in the line and that is skewing his thinking.

Both our tackles are back up quality IMO.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
What would he have to say about this group, this season, at this time. I think some of this OL has to change. Just have mixed feelings about Robinson.

Bard...not knowing the entire story about how this Oline is working together (or not), we have to try to read between the lines.

Playing Oline is more about playing with "your head" than it is about playing with "your muscle". Said another way and more bluntly, the L-OT and R-OT of our offense made the line calls and had to be able to read defenses and make the best blocking call for the situation. The entire Oline had to know what was going on and what type of block was to be used on every play.

In the Pros, I believe it's the OG who makes the line calls along with the center. I can't say for sure that the OTs make a line call but OLine blocking can be complex and each lineman must have their head in the game and understand line calls and who they are supposed to be blocking with each line call. One OLineman misses a line call and it can screw up the entire blocking scheme.

Once everyone on the OLine knows the Line calls and who they are supposed to block, the offense clicks and is productive, the game from an OLinemans POV becomes fun.

Watching the Browns OLine, they look confused and out of sync. Judging by the production of the OLine, it confirms their are problems on the OLine, especially on the left side. Without knowing the offense, I can not tell who is responsible for the OLine issues...I can only guess!

Also, the Browns have two new OLine coaches, both from the Packers. Campen had been very successful as the Packers OLine coach. Credited with the following from his Browns bio...

...In nine of Campen’s 11 seasons as offensive line coach, the Packers ranked top 10 in the league in scoring and finished in the top 10 in total offense in eight of those 11 seasons.  Campen helped six Packers offensive linemen earn Pro Bowl recognition since 2010, the only team in the league to have six different members of the offensive line selected over that span.

Campen has an understudy who came over from Green Bay, helping him with the Oline named Blasko

I've watched the Packers Oline over the past few years and it may be that the Browns do not have the type of Olinemen that Campen prefers. It may be that the Browns need to place a higher priority in the draft to add the type of OLinemen Campen prefers.

Some members of the Browns present OLine group may not fit the blocking scheme Campen is attempting to run.

jmho...mac

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Opinions are cool, but man, there is so much misinformation on this thread.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

Even though the O Line has been statistically OK, I think the reason why they developed the reputation over the first several weeks of being such a weak link is because those OK statistics weren't equating to the eye test so to speak. Early on too often someone was breaking through the line or pushing one of our guys back hard. Baker had happy feet which partially was on him for being too jumpy, but I think enough of that happy feet was justified. Whenever there was pressure on Baker it wasn't coming from a consistent area.

Right or Left, neither side was playing consistent. If it wasn't Hubbard getting beat, it was Robinson. If the Tackles were fine, then it was a G not holding their own.

It appears we maybe on a slight upward trajectory with the O line now. I'm not a stat monkey, but I would be curious to see the individual O Line stats from early on that cover who was giving up sacks, hits, and pressures.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
The fact we are benching lineman is just a scapegoat.

Our OL is giving about 3.5 secs per pass play which ranks them very high, this is more time that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers has been getting. The problem is our QB not throwing the ball and holding on to it too long.

I know I get it, Greg Robinson or whoever else isn’t the 1st pick in the draft, but it’s BS one or more of these guys are going to lose their spot because someone won’t do his and holds on to the ball or run into sacks. It’s not right! That not how things should be done. Bellichik would have benched Mayfield already, not punishing his OL that is actually not doing too bad a job especially in the run game...but it’s Cleveland it’s expected.

V
Legend
Legend
V
More misinformation. Rodgers is one of the two guys who holds the ball longer than Baker. I will add that that stat was before this past Sunday's games. I posted the link about who holds it the longest in the Baker thread. Cousins held it the longest. Followed by Rodgers. Baker was tied for third longest.

Also, I have posted the blocking charts for what is considered a win in the NFL. The time limit is 2.5 w/out giving up any pressure. At the time I posted that info, the Browns were third best in the league.

I think it's getting harder and harder to spread misinformation because there is so much more information available to us these days. Of course, the three guys who post most of that information on this board are not currently posting the available information about holding the ball, positive pass protection, and many other related offensive stats. I have no idea why they are remaining mute. LOL

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Being mentioned now according to rotoworld that Nate Solder is being linked to the Browns...another guy up there in years who isn't very good and has a large cap number...imho I dont know how much of a help he is...I know he will certainly strain the cap

Legend
Legend
Solder’s been awful thus far, so I’d say no thanks

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's only one play, but damn.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Wow ... how good was Tretter on that play ... dang ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
It was only one play, but of course that is what gets highlighted. No mention of the OL giving up zero sacks and only 8 pressures in the the Seattle game, though.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Greg Robinson may be benched

Link Copied to Clipboard