Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

pint?

Isnt that on him?

Freddie has taken a lot of heat and much of it is deserved but one thing has been bugging me... who is our veteran leadership?

Between the coach and the roster, every good team has a handful of respected veteran guys who facilitate that camaraderie.. who get 53 guys pulling in the same direction...

Every head coach will tell you the necessity for those guys, they aren't always the best players or the big stat guys on Sunday but they need to be there and they help hold players accountable in ways coaches can't. They need to be as vocal as necessary, lead by example when necessary, rally the troops when necessary... WHO ARE THOSE GUYS?

Landry and Kirksey are the two that I've seen leading the team in those Building the Browns videos. I think Landry is doing a decent job as well, but there's only so much you can do as well if there isn't strong leadership in the coaching staff.

One of the sideline reporters mentioned that Landry came off the field after that bad blocking call and said something along the lines of "We've got to beat the Refs too", and then you get all those sideline shots of Kitchens screaming at the Refs. It reminded me of a coach that my son had in "little league" football. He would relentlessly scream at the Refs about everything. Some of the parents would join in with him, and after awhile the players acted like they were going to get screwed by the refs every game. Then he took a vacation one week, and I subbed in for him. Early in the game one of my receivers collided with a defender as the both jumped up for the ball, and one of my parents immediately started going after the Ref. I turned to him and was like "It's cool, it was just incidental contact. No need to get the Ref all ticked off at us." And the parents played it cool the rest of the game. It was probably the best reffed game all year too. tongue

But then I have these memories of Kitchens screaming at the Refs in the fourth quarter of a meaningless pre-season game. I can't imagine he's much better now. As much as it probably doesn't endear the refs to our cause, I wonder if that mentality is trickling down to the players as well? You've got Landry despondent on the sideline thinking that we'll never get a call, and he's the team leader. As frustrating as those terrible calls are, we need guys (be it coaches or players) to tell everyone to shake it off and win it on the next play. But if the guy at the top isn't doing that ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah, that’s a good point. Hiring FK meant we probably needed a more experienced staff, though I’m not sure who was available either

Gregg Williams? tongue
I meant a non-bounty-gate-scandal candidate wink

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Quote:
He was saying that to defend his clock management if I am not mistaken at first. When asked about the end of half. He said he was gong to be aggressive and always will be aggressive. That he wanted to score twice, and wont admit it was a mistake.

The problem with the clock management at the end of the first half was that they were rushing and they didn't need to. We were in FG range, we had time to score a TD if possible, we had timeouts.. Yet he and Baker both looked a bit frazzled like they felt like they needed to speed up... Baker forced the throw into the endzone like it was 4th and goal.

this is part of the problem with a rookie HC and a near-rookie QB.. somebody needs to remain calm. I also think we are way too protective of our timeouts at end of half and end of game situations... we have rushed ourselves into mistakes with TOs on the board only to never get a chance to use them..

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
He was saying that to defend his clock management if I am not mistaken at first. When asked about the end of half. He said he was gong to be aggressive and always will be aggressive. That he wanted to score twice, and wont admit it was a mistake.

The problem with the clock management at the end of the first half was that they were rushing and they didn't need to. We were in FG range, we had time to score a TD if possible, we had timeouts.. Yet he and Baker both looked a bit frazzled like they felt like they needed to speed up... Baker forced the throw into the endzone like it was 4th and goal.

this is part of the problem with a rookie HC and a near-rookie QB.. somebody needs to remain calm. I also think we are way too protective of our timeouts at end of half and end of game situations... we have rushed ourselves into mistakes with TOs on the board only to never get a chance to use them..

He said he was trying to hurry up and save the timeouts so we could score, get the ball back then score again.

Yes, idiotic strategy, but that's what he said.

I feel like he needs to just keep his mouth shut in press conferences. He only makes things worse for himself each week.

myka #1679544 10/16/19 04:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: myka

He said he was trying to hurry up and save the timeouts so we could score, get the ball back then score again.

myka #1679551 10/16/19 04:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I feel like he needs to just keep his mouth shut in press conferences. He only makes things worse for himself each week.

Ah, got it. I think this is where his inexperience shows at times. I get that he wants to try to think out ahead, that's a good plan... but when a team and a QB has struggled inside the redzone like ours has and you have an opportunity to build on your lead against a very good team.. focus on that opportunity and take it. If we needed to score twice at the end of the game, sure, think like that, but we didn't. That was not only loss of points, it was a HUGE momentum swing.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Ah, got it. I think this is where his inexperience shows at times. I get that he wants to try to think out ahead, that's a good plan... but when a team and a QB has struggled inside the redzone like ours has and you have an opportunity to build on your lead against a very good team.. focus on that opportunity and take it. If we needed to score twice at the end of the game, sure, think like that, but we didn't. That was not only loss of points, it was a HUGE momentum swing.

Agree on all counts.

Especially knowing the history of the Browns right before the half.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Nobody let's a rookie QB pick the HC. There are a lot of silly things said on this board, but that has to be near the top of the list.
I recall reading Dorsey called Baker and asked his thoughts on who he wanted as HC, and Freddie was the answer.

So what you're actually saying is that everyone's opinion was taken into consideration or at least listened to in the process.

That in no way indicates that Baker picked the coach.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Nobody let's a rookie QB pick the HC. There are a lot of silly things said on this board, but that has to be near the top of the list.
I recall reading Dorsey called Baker and asked his thoughts on who he wanted as HC, and Freddie was the answer.

So what you're actually saying is that everyone's opinion was taken into consideration or at least listened to in the process.

That in no way indicates that Baker picked the coach.

I can't find anything in Google that provides a source for saying Dorsey actually asked Baker..

But in my search I found something I forgot.. there was actually a Condi Rice rumor as coach? rofl Love her but as an NFL coach? C'mon MAN...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't recall anything reported that he asked Baker either. That doesn't mean it didn't happen or wasn't reported, but like you, I couldn't find it and I don't remember it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Baker did an interview with Tirico and it aired before the Rams game. He made it clear he let his preference be known and that it was Freddie.

That's my recollection of the interview. I think I even commented on it on the board.

Legend
Legend
Ok, well that's something.. but it doesn't say that Dorsey asked for his opinion, right?

yebat' Putin
R
Legend
Legend
R
Honestly I don't remember. It might have.

I'm sure it's on YouTube.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought it sucked for all the fans who tailgated ..spent time and money on tickets and parking...Rocked the Stadium with their energy... to once again walk out with a team that lost...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
I thought it sucked for all the fans who tailgated ..spent time and money on tickets and parking...Rocked the Stadium with their energy... to once again walk out with a team that lost...
yeah, thats the tough part of being 0-3 at home ... kick in the fans groins

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg

And they lost because they were stupid.

It's like rubbing it in your face.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Not good.

#FreeToddMonken

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
The Browns put up over 400 yds of offense. Each INT was due to poor execution. I'm not buying it.

Legend
Legend
Ehh, that’s not very good to read

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't been following this thread. Just wanted to add, Russell Wilson was by far the best player on that field, regardless of positions.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Not good.

#FreeToddMonken

I said this when we hired Monkin. Why don't Kitchens and Monkin switch off on play calling? 2 good play callers. Alternate by quarter one game, by half in another. Mix in a series here and there. If you have two play caller with different tendencies, how can you figure out the tendencies if you don't know who is calling the play?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The Browns put up over 400 yds of offense. Each INT was due to poor execution. I'm not buying it.

No kidding. If they knew the plays and still needed all the mistakes and gifts from the refs to win, it doesn't say much for their D.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Ehh, that’s not very good to read

Why not? From what I read on here, if something works, like handing the ball to Nick Chubb, or running a quick slant route.... you should just keep doing it.. over and over and over...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Yeah, if you know what the other team is doing on O and still give up over 400 yards and 28 points, I'm not sure you want to tell people about it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Is it just me or are players trashing other teams in post game interviews as well? Seems like every week somebody has to come out with something to say... is this happening to other teams and I'm just not paying attention?

Seems these teams are mad because the media hyped the Browns in the off-season..

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Is it just me or are players trashing other teams in post game interviews as well? Seems like every week somebody has to come out with something to say... is this happening to other teams and I'm just not paying attention?

Seems these teams are mad because the media hyped the Browns in the off-season..

I would be really surprised if players/teams actually took the Browns hype to heart. Your question is a good one, though. I wonder if there's this much post-game trash talk going on with other teams.

It could just be that some guys running around out there have a bit of the Richard Sherman thing going on... they gotta play with that edge, and so they try to get that edge however they can. Gotta convince yourself it's you against the world.

I'm no pro athlete or psychologist, so take this post for what it's worth (not a whole lot).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I am really the wrong person to ask about that. I watch the games and pretty much leave it at that. Over the decades, and especially during the last decade, I just got tired of hearing all the noise.

IMO it's simply gotten out of hand. The Twitterverse and the entire "sound bite/30 second attention span" world is not something that I find attractive nor productive.

In that world, everyone who has an opinion, no matter how far fetched, suddenly has a platform a certain segment of our society feels some need to pay attention to.

I don't doubt that people had the same opinions and views before this catastrophe began. It's just that now they have an audience to listen and publicize it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I would be really surprised if players/teams actually took the Browns hype to heart.

There were players in our first few weeks who specifically talked about being tired of hearing about the Browns in the offseason...

And national commentators who openly said they hope the Browns lose because of all the hype (that their peers created)...

I mean, I get it.. you shouldn't get that much hype until you have earned it.. but it wasn't like it was Berea that was making playoff and super bowl predictions, it was the national media..

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:
I would be really surprised if players/teams actually took the Browns hype to heart.

There were players in our first few weeks who specifically talked about being tired of hearing about the Browns in the offseason...

And national commentators who openly said they hope the Browns lose because of all the hype (that their peers created)...

I mean, I get it.. you shouldn't get that much hype until you have earned it.. but it wasn't like it was Berea that was making playoff and super bowl predictions, it was the national media..

Ok, I should've been more clear.

I TOTALLY get the Ravens (and Pitt, Cinci) getting ticked about all the Browns hype. I don't at all get San Fran and Seattle players getting all worked up (except for Bosa with the flag-planting connection).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Oh, I absolutely am considering it and it's not just about the INTs. (1) Because I don't think he made it up out of thin air, (2) I think we saw this evolve over the course of the game, and (3) Even I called it that Freddie was going to run the same play with Chubb after that failed challenge on the second 4th and inches attempt (in front of the TV with family as the only alibis). Personally, I think QB sneak was the answer (higher % of being successful) but essentially the SAME PLAY was ran twice in a row. The Baker injury may have muddied the waters on that for Freddie.

You can mention the 406 total yards, but they had 104 yards in the entire second half. The first three drives totaled 189 yards .....guess how many yards remained from drives 4-12? That math isn't hard. tongue

All I'm saying is, as the game progressed, it is plausible to consider that what Shaq is saying is correct. Personally, I don't know why he'd make that up and Browns production waned as the game went on. My concern is, regardless of total yards, is at the end of the day, do teams have leverage over us because of formation coupled with down/distance? Will teams get every guess right? No, of course not. But they are in a much better position to capitalize if they can narrow call possibilities....if this is true.

There were only two drives of 30+ or more yards after the first three drives....Could it be Baker? Or the line? Or (insert issue here)? Yeah, it could. It could also be what Shaq said. I mean, do we hear that quote often in the NFL post-game?

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Even I called it that Freddie was going to run the same play with Chubb after that failed challenge on the second 4th and inches attempt

As did I.

I actually said something like watch them run the same play and get stuffed...

Blew my mind.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
Even I called it that Freddie was going to run the same play with Chubb after that failed challenge on the second 4th and inches attempt

As did I.

Blew my mind.
same here! Totally forgot about that ... but I was like “Watch us run the same play they just saw” .. and then we did ... just horrendous lol

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:

As did I.

Blew my mind.

I agree, that was the worst coach call of the game by far.

myka #1680474 10/20/19 08:52 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...thoughts:

Refs sucked. We should have won the game we made mistakes but I don't wish to lose do to Ref input as a big say in the loss. The most haneous of the calls was that defenseless block assessed on Landry after a big run. We went from first down (I think) to 1st and 25. The replay shows the guy that Landry blocked actually saw Landry and it was he who lowered his head and went after Landry with the hit not the other way around. A worst call I have never seen.

Baker not on accuracy especially with OBJ....gee I wonder if him missing training camp had a thing to do about that. Just too many not perfect throws but catchable going off the hands and a few not all but a few ended up in INTs.

Chubb is an elite RB.

We miss Njoku A LOT!!! This new guy 83 RS Jones looks ok but we don't have him in that much...most of the TE reps go to Pharoah and Harris.

I like this kid Lawrence on Defense...
Vernon is almost none existing??? Sometimes I wonder if he's playing and then I see #54 in there.

We miss Zietler.

I think Dorsey has made some mistakes...trading Zietler was one of them the other biggy was missing out on the first pick of the 2nd round on Corbett! We miss that hit big time making the loss of Zeitler bigger!

Robinson and Hubbard are back up players playing the best they can. Reminds me of Browns OL of the past where we would get a guy who started 7 games in 3 years and think he can man a position.

Well those are my thoughts as I watched us lose a game that we should 100% of WON!

Can't wait for Higgins to come back.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
The Browns picked the wrong HC. Who ever made that decision needs to go.

You want to get rid of Dorsey? Best GM we've had in decades? Everyone is entitled to making a mistake. Keep Dorsey, hire a new HC if necessary. Do NOT get rid of the GM. This team is pretty close. Maybe it takes another year or two but we are in a lot better shape than we were under any of the other bums we've had for GM's.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Seahawks 32 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard