Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Splitting hairs; Myles is responsible for what Myles did.

Yes, Mason instigated, but Myles didn't have to take the bait. He chose that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

rastanplan #1694646 11/15/19 11:06 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
You guys are on crack. There is no part of what Myles did that is indicative of Freddie at all. Good grief!

ALL of it falls on one person: MYLES. Period.

It falls on no one. Its a game and Myles is a great player with great character.

Mason is a dirty player.

Myles is a dirty player. He defined that moniker for himself last night. Regardless of what he does moving forward, his action last night will follow him throughout his career. You don't attack someone not wearing a helmet, with a helmet and swing at his head. He has only himself to blame.

#GMSTRONG
PrplPplEater #1694649 11/15/19 11:09 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Splitting hairs; Myles is responsible for what Myles did.

Yes, Mason instigated, but Myles didn't have to take the bait. He chose that.
Agreed. But it takes two to tango.

Lets be honest, Myles is a pretty laid back dude. For him to 0-100, something was said/done.

Myles never should have used a helmet, and for that - his season is done.

But lets see the timetable of events IIRC:

* Myles takes down Mason
*Mason grabs Myles mask
*Myles reacts by grabbing Mason mask and pulling him up
*Mason kicks myles in groin
*Myles lets go, and is getting dragged away by 2 stoolers
*Mason is going at Myles and Myles takes his helmet
*Mason, snarling - after kicking Myles already - is running at Myles who is being held by 2 stoolers.
*Myles reacts by swinging the helmet.
*Pouncy attacks Myles

At what point is a studded cleat not being used as a weapon as some have said the helmet was? he could have cause testicular trauma to Myles.

Its DEF NOT ON FREDDIE.

Swish #1694657 11/15/19 11:20 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
bonefish #1694660 11/15/19 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

To somehow hang this on Freddie is absurd.

This is on Garrett and no other. A NFL helmet swung at a unprotected person by Myles Garrett is a deadly weapon.

If he would have connected cleanly the result could have been catastrophic.

the cold hard reality is... Rudolph was not injured.

He was not bleeding.

he looked more shocked than anything.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
GratefulDawg #1694672 11/15/19 11:31 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Who started the fight? Who did things that aren't a part of football? Who kept charging after the retreating person? Clearly Myles was retreating and Rudolph came after him.

At least the guy in the video above had the guts to say what really happened rather than finding a way to blame the retreating guy.

Rudolph started it...escalated it...and restarted it.

WSU Willie #1694679 11/15/19 11:40 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Who started the fight? Who did things that aren't a part of football? Who kept charging after the retreating person? Clearly Myles was retreating and Rudolph came after him.

At least the guy in the video above had the guts to say what really happened rather than finding a way to blame the retreating guy.

And he should probably get a suspension as well. That still doesn't excuse Garrett for attacking a guy with what is essentially a weapon.

Ron Artest didn't start and barely participated in the fight that lead to the Malice in the Palace. But he still did the one thing you just can't do, by going into the stands, and he had the hammer come down on him in terms of suspensions, as a result.

You just can't excuse that away. Had he knocked Ruldolph out, we could be looking at a Todd Bertuzzi/Marty McSorely situation.

Swish #1694681 11/15/19 11:42 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D

MYLES GARRETT
DL, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Mason Rudolph's representation could consider legal action against Myles Garrett following Thursday night's on-field incident.

"There are many risks an NFL QB assumes with every snap taken on the field," Rudolph's agent, Tim Younger, tweeted in the aftermath of Garrett's attack. "Being hit on your uncovered head by a helmet being swung by a 275 lb DE is not one of them." He added that the matter will be reviewed "thoroughly." Rudolph miraculously wasn't hurt in the incident, but Garrett will still be subject to a lengthy suspension and perhaps even assault charges. In using his helmet as a weapon, Garrett showed not only an egregious lapse in judgment but also little regard for another player's safety. Thursday's chaotic ending in Cleveland was an embarrassment for all involved.

RELATED: Mason Rudolph
SOURCE: NFL.com
Nov 15, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

Swish #1694682 11/15/19 11:45 AM
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Swish #1694684 11/15/19 11:50 AM
Legend
Legend
5 Thoughts on Myles Garrett and Mason Rudolph

Pete Smith
Nov 15, 2019

The morning after one of the uglier on field moments that has taken place in the NFL in years, I'm still in utter disbelief it happened. Only seconds left in the game, the Cleveland Browns go from a dominant, albeit clunky victory to having their entire season thrown into a state of utter chaos. Whatever ultimately comes from this, it's just the latest chapter in a book of franchise low lights that will haunt the team and fanbase for years.

My thoughts on this are a bit scattered on this, so I figured I'd just put them all out there as opposed to just trying to focus on one of them.

1. If Myles Garrett is suspended for the rest of the season, which has six games remaining, I'm not going to argue. It simply can't happen, regardless of what the other person does to escalate it.

He might as well have swung his helmet at his own teammates, because as much as he hurt himself, they are going to face the consequences almost as much as he is. Their season feels over, despite two wins in a row. Not having Garrett, a superstar defensive end, makes it virtually impossible for them to win five of their last six games.

2. Mason Rudoloh's actions don't excuse Garrett's, but they should be judged harshly. Trying to grab Garrett's head, then kicking him in the groin, then chasing after him, Rudolph started the situation and escalated it. My fear is that Rudolph will only be fined when he should be suspended for a game or two.

3. Trying to reconcile the Myles Garrett that took a punch in his car after taking a photo with someone and did nothing, the same person who been somewhat of a folk hero in the community with the one that swung his helmet at Rudolph is difficult.

Everything about this is awful. I feel awful for Garrett, because I adore him. These actions will change how many perceive him, perhaps even some of his teammates. Despite this incident, as awful as it is, I still view him as an extremely intelligent, thoughtful man who has shown remarkable kindness to strangers on any number of occasions. He also swung a helmet at Mason Rudolph. He will always be remembered as the player who did this, as he should, but the other stuff doesn't go away either. This shouldn't have happened and it certainly cannot happen again, but if this is the worst thing Garrett ever does, I can get past it. While Garrett's actions were monstrous, he isn't a monster.

Any notion that the Browns should get rid of Garrett is absurd. The Browns have signed players that have committed violence against women on their roster. As awful as what Garrett did is, there has to be some perspective on what is truly worse. If the argument is that Garrett has to go, other players would warrant leaving with him.

4. There are plenty of people who want to see Garrett suspended for the rest of the season, perhaps even longer. Some of the outrage on this incident is remarkable given the fact it's such a unique situation. This rarely happens. Meanwhile, there's far less outrage when it comes to players being in the league, getting lucrative contracts despite committing violence against women.

And while this is an isolated incident, violence against women is an epidemic. Numerous players across the league are making millions of dollars playing every week while victims are subjected to reliving nightmares in their lives as stadiums full of people are cheering.

Reacting in the moment is part of it. Video always plays a role in how people react, often more viscerally than if they just read about it. This happened in public for everyone to see and it's an embarrassment to the league. The track record of the NFL and its teams are worse. It has required video on multiple occasions for the league to act in anything resembling a responsible matter.

Even on the Cleveland Browns, Kareem Hunt had an extremely public incident where he was seen kicking a women in a hotel on video. Investigated along with a few other incidents, Hunt served an eight game suspension, the longest of its kind. That is what it took to get that length of punishment.

Garrett could get six games. His actions could warrant six games. What he did was simply horrifying. The outrage is justified. I just wish the NFL's unending issue with violence against women was met with the same vigor. It's taken as so commonplace, that it can be minimized and occasionally ignored rather than the horror that it is every time it happens. The sheer amount of it should make the issue that much bigger.

5. Where this leaves the franchise and its fanbase is the next shoe to drop. Whatever happens with Garrett, it's not likely to end there. I don't know how far this goes. It's difficult to imagine the team can simply view this as an isolated incident and not act further. It demands that the process from front office down to the coaching staff be reviewed as they search for answers on how this could happen.

At some point, they will have to come out and speak to the issue and have an answer as to how they prevent this from ever happening again. Garrett should continue to be a member of the Cleveland Browns, but this isn't the first time the team has been questioned in terms of their actions on the field or their motives.

Dating back to the joint practices with the Indianapolis Colts during training camp, questions were raised at the notion that head coach Freddie Kitchens was perceived to be encouraging the actions in an effort to stand up for themselves after brawls cut practices short. Critics at the time argued he was encouraging his team to fight. The team has had a high number of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this year, which will be attributed to a lack of discipline.

Ultimately, players are responsible for their own actions as Garrett is here. He deserves the punishment he's going to receive for it, but the questions are going to come at the organization. They will need answers.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-mav...-mason-rudolph/

#gmSTRONG
DiamDawg #1694686 11/15/19 11:51 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The NFL will not want this to continue on that long especially since they dind't put Rudolph in the concussion protocol after the hit to the head.

I bet Garrett gets 4 games.

Plus Rudolph can't say he isn't fine when he already said he was "good to go".

He would have to go into the concussion protocol. Which, quite frankly, is a blessing for Garrett.

The other thing going for him is that there was no blood.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Swish #1694687 11/15/19 11:51 AM
Legend
Legend
I thought of that helmet hit by the Texans guy too ... honestly, I’m expecting 6 games and a fine

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
ExclDawg #1694691 11/15/19 12:00 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

And he should probably get a suspension as well. That still doesn't excuse Garrett for attacking a guy with what is essentially a weapon.

Ron Artest didn't start and barely participated in the fight that lead to the Malice in the Palace. But he still did the one thing you just can't do, by going into the stands, and he had the hammer come down on him in terms of suspensions, as a result.

You just can't excuse that away. Had he knocked Ruldolph out, we could be looking at a Todd Bertuzzi/Marty McSorely situation.

See bold above.

Garret did not "attack" Rudolph. Not even close to an "attack". Rudolph was charging at Garrett.

That doesn't justify the helmet swing...but that swing was far, far, far from an attack. More like self-defense. Garrett was retreating and Rudolph was charging.

Bull_Dawg #1694692 11/15/19 12:04 PM
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Bull, what the hell does his race have to do with anything???

Legend
Legend

The point is intent not the result.

You fire a gun at someone and miss. Your intent was to kill.

I doubt that Myles would have swung the helmet if he was facing Rudolph straight on with no one in between.

I like Myles. Way out of character.

But you can not reach that stage of rage.

When fights start and people lose control very bad things can happen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
Bull, what the hell does his race have to do with anything???

Well it has been mentioned Mason called Myles a derogatory term.
Not sure if this is true, but if it is I would think the NFL takes that into consideration.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Someone needs to ask the coaches what the rationale was for trying to rack up sacks with seconds left in the game. That probably played a huge part in this.

The message....we’re here to smack you in the face every single play. Get use to it Steelers.

If you are serious? I like how the tide is turning on this, at least for a few.

I watched the fight a few times. Rudolph started it and then Garrett went crazy. I know a lot of people feel it's a real bad look for Garrett and possibly our team, but personally I loved watching the fight. On the other hand Garrett probably won't be playing again for awhile and because of this it sucks it even happened.

The rivalry is back on, full force.

Swish #1694719 11/15/19 12:48 PM
G
Rookie
Rookie
G
One angle that upset me was all pregame Fox was playing up the rivalry, showing the Turkey Jones slam of Bradshaw, celebrating James Harrison slamming a fan (but not spearing Colt McCoy and Cribbs in the earhole). Strahan is there, a guy who once wrote about the thrill he got from feeling the QB's body buckle underneath him and the sticky blood on his jersey...ok, fine. But then Joe Buck and Aikman are calling Garrett "barbaric" and speaking in apocalyptic hyperbole about this fight. Swinging the helmet was bad, but there is context there that is being overlooked.

Kizer rhymes with Kosar.
Swish #1694731 11/15/19 12:57 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Garrett suspended indefinitely. Pouncey got 3 games. Larry O got 1 game. Both teams got fined $250K. League makes example of Garrett. As they should have.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Swish #1694736 11/15/19 01:03 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Haslams issue apology to Rudolph and the Steeler organization. They will accept the punishment that the league issues. Yeah, it WAS that bad. SMH

Last edited by The Beast; 11/15/19 01:04 PM.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
Swish #1694750 11/15/19 01:10 PM
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
well.....atleast randall isnt suspended.

lol whatever happens, playoffs or not, atleast this is the most entertaining browns season in a long long time.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
The Beast #1694763 11/15/19 01:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: The Beast
Garrett suspended indefinitely. Pouncey got 3 games. Larry O got 1 game. Both teams got fined $250K. League makes example of Garrett. As they should have.

So Mason gets nothing for trying to rip off a helmet kicking in the groin and being the aggressor. Total BS

Joe Thomas #73
Swish #1694771 11/15/19 01:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Except the NFL says more punishment forthcoming ...
Originally Posted By: Swish

lol whatever happens, playoffs or not, atleast this is the most entertaining browns season in a long long time.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Swish #1694776 11/15/19 01:24 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Is it me, or did 4 people throw kicks, helmets, or fist, and only 3 got suspended? Am I the only one that notices what those three have in common that differs from the 4th...…,

Swish #1694781 11/15/19 01:26 PM
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
I'm baffled that Rudolph gets off scott free here?

OrlandoDawg #1694786 11/15/19 01:31 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: OrlandoDawg

More action is coming from the league per their news release. This is just the beginning.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Is it me, or did 4 people throw kicks, helmets, or fist, and only 3 got suspended? Am I the only one that notices what those three have in common that differs from the 4th...…,

So quarterbacks are allowed to kick other players in the groin?

Joe Thomas #73
Swish #1694792 11/15/19 01:36 PM
Legend
Legend
J/c

Hoping the new punishment says:

Mason Rudolph will be punished by having to play QB the remainder of the season

Swish #1694801 11/15/19 01:39 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Espn announcer just said Mason did nothing wrong thats not being debated.
REALLY?

Joe Thomas #73
bonefish #1694810 11/15/19 01:43 PM
Legend
Legend

Big team win. Hopefully the offense starts to take control.

We will need that. Losing Myles is a huge team lose.

The whole fight is sad. Football is a game.

You play to win. All parties are in the wrong.

The season now could become "what if".

I want to win games. Have a winning season. Enjoy football.

Disappointed by all this.

The Beast #1694821 11/15/19 01:50 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
In your sig, you call Freddie a hillbilly, he's no hillbilly, he's a hick. I'm a hillbilly and your sig is offensive.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
bonefish #1694847 11/15/19 02:03 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Big team win. Hopefully the offense starts to take control.

We will need that. Losing Myles is a huge team lose.

The whole fight is sad. Football is a game.

You play to win. All parties are in the wrong.

The season now could become "what if".

I want to win games. Have a winning season. Enjoy football.

Disappointed by all this.

Baker is going to rally thr troops.

Browns sneak into the playoffs and lose the first game because of no pass rush.

BADdog #1694859 11/15/19 02:09 PM
Legend
Legend
j/c

I know that this will be an unpopular opinion, but it's where I honestly am on this subject. I'll wear my asbestos suit and happily take all the flames.

After 20 years of watching PIT bully CLE like we were punks, I was pleased to see some spunk from someone wearing orange and brown.

I hope it lit a fire under the asses of every Browns player, so they really bring the pain 2 weeks from now. I'd like to see the same level of beat-down at Heinz with Rudolph on his back after every pass play.

I hope this incident with Myles sends the clear message: "We won't back down from anyone, and we're nobody's patsy."

Sad to see Myles out for the season, for sure. Just sentence for the helmet swing. That said, I want that chip on every Browns player's shoulders going forward.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1694871 11/15/19 02:26 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is where I'm at. Thank you for adding the necessary eloquence to my thoughts, Clem.

I'm bummed Myles is getting (essentially) a season-ending break. I do hope they appeal, but I accept it. While, if I had to choose, I'm more in Myles's corner than not, what he did isn't acceptable. I get the NFL making an example of him. I'm also pleasantly surprised they got Pouncey. I would've thought they would let his punching and stomping slide as well.

I would hope Rudolph doesn't avoid the banhammer much longer.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
The Beast #1694876 11/15/19 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: The Beast
Originally Posted By: OrlandoDawg

More action is coming from the league per their news release. This is just the beginning.

I would be shocked if Rudolph gets anything.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
OldColdDawg #1694878 11/15/19 02:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
In your sig, you call Freddie a hillbilly, he's no hillbilly, he's a hick. I'm a hillbilly and your sig is offensive.

I am a northern city kid. Could you educate me by explaining what a hillbilly is, and a hick? I never thought the terms were interchangeable, but I am curious what they actually describe.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Swish #1694881 11/15/19 02:34 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't want Rudolph banned. I want us to face him again in 2 weeks, because he really blows as a QB.

oobernoober #1694887 11/15/19 02:42 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
This is where I'm at. Thank you for adding the necessary eloquence to my thoughts, Clem.

I'm bummed Myles is getting (essentially) a season-ending break. I do hope they appeal, but I accept it. While, if I had to choose, I'm more in Myles's corner than not, what he did isn't acceptable. I get the NFL making an example of him. I'm also pleasantly surprised they got Pouncey. I would've thought they would let his punching and stomping slide as well.

What you and Clem are professing to love only works if the Browns beat them again in a couple weeks. This has to galvanize the team, not fracture it. It's the only way there is even a remote payoff.

Rishuz #1694907 11/15/19 03:14 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

What you and Clem are professing to love only works if the Browns beat them again in a couple weeks. This has to galvanize the team, not fracture it. It's the only way there is even a remote payoff.

I mostly agree with you. But aside from the next game I'm glad that we aren't just rolling over against our division rivals. Don't get me wrong, the is an infinite list of actions that are better than smacking someone in the head with a helmet when all of America is watching. What Garrett did was dumb. But I just can't conjure all that much outrage when I've watched years and years of us just accepting cheap shots from them.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Swish #1694918 11/15/19 03:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rudolph needs to be suspended also.

If he isn't, it will be a complete travesty.

In 2 weeks look for the "Steal"ers to cheap shot Baker.

We are now devoid our best defensive players.

The season is officially toast.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Steelers 7 Post game

Link Copied to Clipboard