Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
cfrs15 #1708149 12/18/19 06:28 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Imagine Chubb behind a good run blocking line. Imagine Chubb with a good run scheme.

I love Nick Chubb.

Our line is good blocking, what are you saying here?

Give the guys credit, before Chubb came in we were already running the ball.

Swish #1708153 12/18/19 06:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
i think just simply due to the makeup of this city and such, we have to keep chubb. i agree we need to lock him up quickly.
i agree ... he’s gotta be our Barry sanders

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1708161 12/18/19 08:03 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Happy birthday Dawg!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
So you want to give Freddie credit for the player Nick Chubb is and was prior to coming to Cleveland? Got it rofl

Let’s say for arguments sake I spot you Chubb and I’ll be generous and throw in Hunt, and we’ll credit Freddie for their performance.... let’s all stand and slow clap as you give Freddie the Coach of the Year Award because he managed to get 2 whole players out of 53 to be consistent. Bravo sir, Bravooooo.

If you are going to blame him for the poor play of others, you have to give him credit for the good play of others. Your hyperbole and snarkiness doesn't change the fact you wish to blame him for all of our ills but no credit for what's right.

I've actually stated that I have no problem if Freddie is fired, but the double standard and two faced way you are packaging your opinion holds zero merit.

Everything wrong = Freddie bad.

Everything good = Freddie bad.

I guess the art of fair play is lost on you.

And yeah, the special teams has sucked too, right?

Let me guess, the ST's coach gets credit for the good but the poor O and D has nothing to do with the OC and DC. That's all Freddie's fault.

You sir have a very slanted and one sided way of looking at things. Trying to blame me for that is lame at best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
rastanplan #1708235 12/18/19 11:50 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Imagine Chubb behind a good run blocking line. Imagine Chubb with a good run scheme.

I love Nick Chubb.

Our line is good blocking, what are you saying here?

Give the guys credit, before Chubb came in we were already running the ball.

I agree with you. I think our Oline, while it should be improved this offseason, is good enough to run a decent NFL offense... but there's a concerning thing that happens from time to time. On the rare occasion we do decide to run the ball on short yardage situations we seem to get stuffed quite a bit. I don't have numbers to back up what I'm saying, but those plays do stick out.

IMO, a "good" offensive line with a great RB like Chubb should be able to get 2-3 yards when they need it (even if the defense knows it's coming).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1708320 12/18/19 02:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Our tackles are NOT good. And we struggle to get any sort of push up front, at all. This is not an OLine that will blow people off the line.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I wonder if that's why we don't run more? Do you think it has anything to do with keeping the opposing D guessing so we do better with the run?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1708327 12/18/19 02:27 PM
Legend
Legend
I think that is why we go with Hunt or empty backfield inside the 5 or on 3rd downs, yes.

We've seen it every game starting in Game 1 where guys were blowing through gaps on us. How many times have we seen a DT push between Tretter & Bitonio to blow up a play this year?

I don't know if it is the blocking scheme, or what, but the end result is that we get beat up front often.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually my question was something I was pretty aware of before I asked it. I just felt people may be more receptive to the answer if it came from you. wink

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1708337 12/18/19 02:39 PM
Legend
Legend
lol!

I'm not sure anyone puts any stock at all into what I write, but thank you for the vote of confidence, hehehe

Browns is the Browns

PitDAWG #1708355 12/18/19 03:08 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I wonder if that's why we don't run more? Do you think it has anything to do with keeping the opposing D guessing so we do better with the run?
Honestly, I think the memorandum was sent down that Baker is to be the face of this team, and they want Baker getting the numbers and accolades. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
After seeing how we run on third and short and at the goal line, I have no idea how that could be the conclusion you come to.

#gmstrong
devicedawg #1708365 12/18/19 03:21 PM
Legend
Legend
Thanks buddy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I hope you're joking... or maybe just high, lol

Browns is the Browns

PitDAWG #1708387 12/18/19 03:47 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
After seeing how we run on third and short and at the goal line, I have no idea how that could be the conclusion you come to.
What? We literally run empty sets on goal to go and 3rd and short almost exclusively. We ran the ball 7 times in the half against Pittsburgh, and 1 time with Chubb two weeks ago in the 1st Q.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I hope you're joking... or maybe just high, lol
Not at all. We literally have the best backfield in the league, and run 3rd and short and goal line empty sets almost exclusively at times. They are calling the game to put the ball in Bakers hands, not Chubbs.

If it wasn't, Chubb would be on the field in crucial downs. Instead, they pull him.

Legend
Legend
I know what they are doing, it is your guess as to the reasoning that I am questioning.

If you honestly believe that they are calling plays based on who they think the face of the franchise is or should be, then I think that you should seriously take a step back and reconsider your views of things. The entire notion is absurd, frankly.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
It just makes me want to buy weed from him.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I know what they are doing, it is your guess as to the reasoning that I am questioning.

If you honestly believe that they are calling plays based on who they think the face of the franchise is or should be, then I think that you should seriously take a step back and reconsider your views of things. The entire notion is absurd, frankly.

I think if you think that what they are doing is a good idea you should be taking the step back.

They are absolutely putting the ball in Bakers hands. Its been talked about on a wide range of media locally and nationally. IN key moments of the game - they are passing the ball. just about every key moment frankly. In fact, its pretty obvious. Run Chubb run chubb Run chubb, as soon as a key play comes up or its time to score - call a play for baker to make a throw. They want Baker to be the hero, plain and simple. Its like watching a Coach Kilmer football game lol.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Our tackles are NOT good. And we struggle to get any sort of push up front, at all. This is not an OLine that will blow people off the line.

I think our line, overall, is fine (they were downright good to end the year last year). I think each of the 5 starters are NFL-starter quality. They would at least push for a starting spot on just about any NFL roster. None are world-beaters, however... and we should look to upgrade... particularly at both tackle positions. Wanting to upgrade and thinking they suck are miles apart, imo.

I think the reason we don't run on short yardage situations (much less go empty backfield) is because of stupid playcalling. I don't think it's because of our line. I tend to remember them getting stuffed quite a bit when they do try to punch it through on the ground. I acknowledge that, and acknowledge it doesn't help my argument, but I'm sticking with it regardless because I don't have hard evidence in front of me to prove it (it being our line tends to get dominated in short yardage).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1708411 12/18/19 04:14 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I think our line, overall, is fine (they were downright good to end the year last year). I think each of the 5 starters are NFL-starter quality.
You realize that our RT and guard never started before they were here, right? They were BACKUPS. So no, we don't have quality NFL starters at all 5 positions, and I would argue that Robinson hasn't played starter quality this entire year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you're saying at the most pivotal moments, at the exact time our opponents are expecting us to run the ball, are setting up for the run, against an OL the vast majority of our fan base feels is a weak OL, he doesn't run the ball?

#gmstrong
Swish #1708421 12/18/19 04:24 PM
Legend
Legend
JC

A few weeks ago we had EIGHT straight plays from the 1 yd line. Chubb had five by himself. We walked away with NOTHING. Somehow, some way, defenses seem to know what we're doing whether we're running or passing.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Their play this year has been influenced by playcalling/scheme and Baker's regression, in that order.

Hubbard actually started last year looking worse than he did this year. I glossed over the RG position because I didn't want my post to go off on a tangent. You could definitely make the argument that RG is weak. I think the guy we had in there last week looked alright. Depending on who we've had in there and their health, I think we've looked anywhere from 'ok' to 'meh'.

Offensive line needs to improve before week 1 of next year, and that will be accomplished almost solely by bringing in people via FA and draft. But to blame the Oline for this season before any combo of Freddie, Monken, Baker, the TE/FB position is wrong. Again... IMO.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

They are absolutely putting the ball in Bakers hands. Its been talked about on a wide range of media locally and nationally. IN key moments of the game - they are passing the ball. just about every key moment frankly. In fact, its pretty obvious. Run Chubb run chubb Run chubb, as soon as a key play comes up or its time to score - call a play for baker to make a throw.

They absolutely are putting in his hands because that is how the play-action game works... it goes through the QB, and they clearly don't feel we can run it effectively and consistently in a short-yardage situation. Their biggest failure is empty sets and even doing any of it without Chubb on the field because the run threat isn't as real without him there. When it is just Hunt, it is a given we are throwing out of the backfield and not running.

They want Baker to be the hero, plain and simple.

That is a completely foolish conclusion. NOBODY, not even 13 year olds playing Madden, call plays just to let one player have their image boosted.
That is flat out one of the more ridiculous things I've read - and that is saying a lot given some of the things on here lately.

Browns is the Browns

Swish #1708514 12/18/19 07:35 PM
Legend
Legend
"Maybe when I am older I will look back. I am still in my NFL career. I am still just starting so I am just trying to go find a way to get better find motivation so I am not going to say that I did great things. Try to find something else to train for & get better on” -Nick Chubb

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

That is a completely foolish conclusion. NOBODY, not even 13 year olds playing Madden, call plays just to let one player have their image boosted.
That is flat out one of the more ridiculous things I've read - and that is saying a lot given some of the things on here lately.

Well they were not shy letting people think Freddie was named HC because of Baker, so...

And yes, I also think much of our game was designed to make Baker shine, Dorsey even went and got one of the best receivers of the history...

We all know how it ended.

rastanplan #1708631 12/19/19 10:07 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Actually, we don't.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
They absolutely are putting in his hands because that is how the play-action game works... it goes through the QB, and they clearly don't feel we can run it effectively and consistently in a short-yardage situation. Their biggest failure is empty sets and even doing any of it without Chubb on the field because the run threat isn't as real without him there. When it is just Hunt, it is a given we are throwing out of the backfield and not running.
Playaction doesnt work unless there is a threat to run the ball. So the play action game, technically goes through the RB. And frankly, we do not use Play Action nearly enough, so im not sure why you would even bring that up. We dont run play action in those situations i outlined. We run empty set, shovel passes, and QB sneaks.

Quote:
Cool, multiple former players in the league have actually pointed this out - Jerrod Cherry being one, im sure being a SB winning NFL player his observations are that of a 13 year old, and yours are the final conclusion of whats actually happening.

Agree to disagree, ok. But to try to bash someone elses opinion that is actually very logical and has been stated by FORMER PLAYERS is well, beneath you. Foolish is your attitude - especially when just about every acquisition this year was to make Baker more comfortable and to give HIM opportunities to flourish.

Why did we hire FC? He wasnt qualified, but it was to appease Baker.

Why did we get Odell? Jaris before that? Hunt? This team was built for Mayfield to shine. If you dont think they want to showcase him, well... i have a beachfront condo in South Dakota i can sell you for the weekends.

rastanplan #1708643 12/19/19 10:42 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O

Well they were not shy letting people think Freddie was named HC because of Baker, so...

And yes, I also think much of our game was designed to make Baker shine, Dorsey even went and got one of the best receivers of the history...

As long as by 'gameplan' you mean when Freddie and Monken got together before the season, TC, etc and laid out "this is how we want the offense to look". The high-level scheme was certainly intended to showcase Baker throwing the ball to OBJ and others. Hilariously, we weren't built to do that. We didn't have the line to hold off a pass rush for forever while routes developed and Baker can see and pull the trigger. We didn't have the QB (as he is now) to handle execution of said offense. I think Baker can get there, but he's in his second year with his second or third offense/OC (feel free to debate this point), coming from an offense that highlighted not him, but the run game, and required him to quickly pull off simple reads and spread the ball around.

-PrplPplEater
Swish #1708648 12/19/19 10:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Playaction doesnt work unless there is a threat to run the ball. So the play action game, technically goes through the RB. And frankly, we do not use Play Action nearly enough, so im not sure why you would even bring that up. We dont run play action in those situations i outlined. We run empty set, shovel passes, and QB sneaks.

Quote:
Cool, multiple former players in the league have actually pointed this out - Jerrod Cherry being one, im sure being a SB winning NFL player his observations are that of a 13 year old, and yours are the final conclusion of whats actually happening.

Agree to disagree, ok. But to try to bash someone elses opinion that is actually very logical and has been stated by FORMER PLAYERS is well, beneath you. Foolish is your attitude - especially when just about every acquisition this year was to make Baker more comfortable and to give HIM opportunities to flourish.

Why did we get Odell? Jaris before that? Hunt? This team was built for Mayfield to shine. If you dont think they want to showcase him, well... i have a beachfront condo in South Dakota i can sell you for the weekends.

Hold on. I gotta back up here... Former players pointed out that a memorandum was handed down to make sure Baker gets most of the numbers and accolades??? From whom? Jimmy?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1708656 12/19/19 11:09 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FATE
Quote:

Quote:

Hold on. I gotta back up here... Former players pointed out that a memorandum was handed down to make sure Baker gets most of the numbers and accolades??? From whom? Jimmy?

former NFL players, not former Browns.

Jerrod Cherry was just saying the other day this was the case, and that the entire plan was to make Baker the centerpeice of this offense. Thats why they brought in Monken for the air raid. You dont build a variation of "air raid" to run the ball. . . . .

oobernoober #1708660 12/19/19 11:35 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

As long as by 'gameplan' you mean when Freddie and Monken got together before the season, TC, etc and laid out "this is how we want the offense to look". The high-level scheme was certainly intended to showcase Baker throwing the ball to OBJ and others. Hilariously, we weren't built to do that. We didn't have the line to hold off a pass rush for forever while routes developed and Baker can see and pull the trigger. We didn't have the QB (as he is now) to handle execution of said offense. I think Baker can get there, but he's in his second year with his second or third offense/OC (feel free to debate this point), coming from an offense that highlighted not him, but the run game, and required him to quickly pull off simple reads and spread the ball around.

We have a good OL, much better OL than a QB... Baker just couldn't do it, not even with Landry and OBJ.

Hope he improves, but don't pin his inability on others. Our OL was/is more than serviceable, much better than Wilson's.

IMHO the true test of the quality of the OL is the running game.

Swish #1708669 12/19/19 11:55 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

It's an odd thing to read some of these responses.

In the past fans have been upset because we didn't have quality WR's to support a young QB we drafted in order to give him the best chance to succeed. Now giving a QB those weapons is some conspiracy to make him the focus.

It's like my grandpa Dan Rosanna Danna said..... "It's always something."

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1708670 12/19/19 11:57 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Yeah, this thread has taken a strange turn.

PitDAWG #1708673 12/19/19 12:01 PM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
j/c

It's an odd thing to read some of these responses.

In the past fans have been upset because we didn't have quality WR's to support a young QB we drafted in order to give him the best chance to succeed. Now giving a QB those weapons is some conspiracy to make him the focus.

It's like my grandpa Dan Rosanna Danna said..... "It's always something."

Worst than that is people wanting to get rid of the talented players... that I do not understand.

Also Baker fans going after Dorsey, when if he did anything was give Baker the conditions to succeed... we didn't even have a viable backup QB, if we did we would probably be in the playoffs...

Legend
Legend
I read the things you are writing and I keep seeing the Billy Madison academic decathlon in my head.

Yes, Baker is the centerpiece of the offense.
Yes, the offense is built around the QB... pretty much all of them are.

That is NOT the same as calling plays at the goalline to boost a players stats/image. Nobody does that. Nobody.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Better you than me this time. wink

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I read the things you are writing and I keep seeing the Billy Madison academic decathlon in my head.

Yes, Baker is the centerpiece of the offense.
Yes, the offense is built around the QB... pretty much all of them are.

That is NOT the same as calling plays at the goalline to boost a players stats/image. Nobody does that. Nobody.

Well worst than calling plays at the goal line to boost a players image, is not sign a viable QB, when it was clear that he was struggling and had to be benched.

Also call low risk plays to boost the player image, because you can't call the players you need to take the team to playoffs.

Yes, Baker had a better second half of the season because not only the opposition was bad, but because we were more interested in protecting him than going to the playoffs.

rastanplan #1708716 12/19/19 01:00 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

This board gets harder to read by the day.......

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Nick Chubb

Link Copied to Clipboard