Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
For the sake of argument I'll go along with the theory he has lost the locker room for the purpose of this debate.

What possible good would it do to name an interim HC with two games left?

I mean to me it was far more debatable to question if he had lost the locker room before the Arizona game. I think we both agree that giving a first time HC only one season to prove himself doesn't look good to future HC candidates looking at the possibility of considering Cleveland as their next destination. Could you imagine how much worse the optics would be to those potential HC candidates if Freddie wasn't even given the full season?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don’t agree oooob ... bring in fresh blood, switch things up .. give the troops a jolt ...

If he’s lost the LR were a rudderless ship .. ok, more rudderless than it appears tp be now .. *L* ...

If he lost the LR make the change now ... give the troops a “jolt” something different ...

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
… if you listen to the propaganda network of the Cleveland Browns, it seems the setup for a fall guy is wilks (the drum was really beating right before AZ)

nobody has earned / deserves their jobs on this staff but I think the FO knows they need to make a sacrifice to the blood god and tag you are it

O
Legend
Legend
O
Give the troops a jolt in time for the off-season? Sorry, don't see the point.

If it were as little as 2 weeks ago, I'd wholeheartedly agree with you.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So who is it exactly you are depending on to tell you how they meant it?
No one. Its one of those things, we will never truly know.

Just have to make an educated OPINION or GUESS as to what it really was.

But to say it was one way or other, I was just pointing out that either side is wrong if they do.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: RAWISRADFORD
… if you listen to the propaganda network of the Cleveland Browns, it seems the setup for a fall guy is wilks (the drum was really beating right before AZ)

nobody has earned / deserves their jobs on this staff but I think the FO knows they need to make a sacrifice to the blood god and tag you are it

Pulling a "Ray Horton," eh?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think there's a difference between a logical conclusion and a far fetched one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I don’t agree oooob ... bring in fresh blood, switch things up .. give the troops a jolt ...

If he’s lost the LR were a rudderless ship .. ok, more rudderless than it appears tp be now .. *L* ...

If he lost the LR make the change now ... give the troops a “jolt” something different ...

Two reasons:

1. Who takes over - Monken or Wilkes. Niether honestly IMO are going to be a good option, so there really is no difference.

2. If the FO knows they are canning Freddie, and have outside idea of who they want or a list of guys, the last thing they want is to can FK and then we beat Baltimore and cincy under Monken. Then the "keep monken" train will start. Its best to just let them finish the year and wipe the slate clean IF that is whats going to happen.

Honestly, idk if they are going to can him. I think they should, I think if we get blown out this week they will. But if we give a good showing this week and win next week, I can see the case for keeping him and making other changes.

But that's not we are talking about in this post, so we wont go down that road. . .

For your question only - with two weeks left, your out of the playoffs more than likely, and you don't want either of the guys behind him as your gonna can them too - let him finish the year and move on.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think there's a difference between a logical conclusion and a far fetched one.
Agreed, there is. I am not debating that is a real possibility you are correct. I am saying that posting as if it is correct, is wrong. That's all.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I didn't know saying, "It does sound more like trash talk than anything else" was saying it was correct.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thats one way to go i guess ... i just don’t agree with it ...

I’m certainly not going to keep him cause I’m worried about whoever takes over winning the last 2 and the ground swell of support for me to keep that person the following year ...

Thats just silly bro ... your reaching on that one .. thumbsup

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I have refrained from posting most of this season but to say I’m disappointed is a massive understatement.

The only thing I will say. If we had played disciplined, well executed, well prepared ball this season, with the infusion of talent, we’d be sitting fairly prettily. We were playing disciplined, well executed and well prepared ball end of last year. It’s the most frustrating season I’ve ever watched. We’ve absolutely handled Baltimore at their house. Then we turn into the pumpkin. That kind of inconsistent is on the coaches. Plain and simple. Urgh.

Last edited by drobs; 12/18/19 05:01 PM.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And to a large degree I certainly agree with that. What does puzzle me is when posters attribute things to the coaches that isn't on them.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
And to a large degree I certainly agree with that. What does puzzle me is when posters attribute things to the coaches that isn't on them.

I don’t think I did? I think I posted a very balanced narrative. My main point is the difference in attitude, preparation and execution between now and then. Plays are getting in late. Baker is having to tell guys where to line up for the love of all things orange. Who’s that on? Where’s the accountability for that? It’s more frustrating than the 1-31 because it’s all mental.

Last edited by drobs; 12/18/19 05:08 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
When the ball hits you in the hands, you can't blame the O being ran for dropping the ball.

Now the injury may very well be why he isn't running free but when your QB puts the ball in your hands, you can't blame the HC for dropping it.

Freddie deserves a lot of blame, but let's not act like the O that's being ran is making him drop balls.

I blame OBJ for all the balls he's dropped.

I account for a certain amount of drop off in OBJ's ability to get open (by his own standards of shiftiness and separation) to his injury.

I blame Baker for missing open WR's much, much more frequently than a franchise QB should.

I blame Freddie for not having a scheme that makes more use of OBJ's talent and every other WR on the team. I blame Freddie for throwing too much - and for not adjusting to Baker's struggles.

In the post I made initially I didn't blame anyone but OBJ for his drops - and I see you have another new post talking about posters blaming drops on other things - or about posters blaming coaching for things that aren't the coaches responsibility .... I'm curious to know what you think you are reading ?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
When the ball hits you in the hands, you can't blame the O being ran for dropping the ball.

Now the injury may very well be why he isn't running free but when your QB puts the ball in your hands, you can't blame the HC for dropping it.

Freddie deserves a lot of blame, but let's not act like the O that's being ran is making him drop balls.

I account for a certain amount of drop off in OBJ's ability to get open (by his own standards of shiftiness and separation) to his injury.

I blame Baker for missing open WR's much, much more frequently than a franchise QB should.

I blame Freddie for not having a scheme that makes more use of OBJ's talent and every other WR on the team. I blame Freddie for throwing too much - and for not adjusting to Baker's struggles.

In the post I made initially I didn't blame anyone but OBJ for his drops - and I see you have another new post talking about posters blaming drops on other things - or about posters blaming coaching for things that aren't the coaches responsibility .... I'm curious to know what you think you are reading ?

I blame Freddie and Monken for the fact that 3 or 4 other teams have come out after our game and admitted they KNEW what we were going to do before we did it on most plays. If 3 or 4 picked up on it, the other 11 or 12 did too, they just didn't say anything.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I blame Freddie and Monken for the fact that 3 or 4 other teams have come out after our game and admitted they KNEW what we were going to do before we did it on most plays. If 3 or 4 picked up on it, the other 11 or 12 did too, they just didn't say anything.

The Cardinals defensive coordinator came out before the game and said our plays are predictable.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
You know, will, the weather has sucked lately. I guess that is on Freddie too?? lol

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
And yes, OBJ has dropped more catchable balls than I’d expect. Landry has been the #1 playmaker without doubt. I have always liked him and I hope he stays a Brown a long time. I hope the same for OBJ. We need quality. I think those two together wreaking havoc would be beautiful to behold. Saying that, I’d rather Chubb / Hunt ran 30 times a game. Man, we have so much offensive talent it’s galling.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: RAWISRADFORD

Making a minor sacrifice is really just kicking the can down the road. If I'm Dorsey, I realize this isn't about Freddie's job, it's about mine. Dorsey can get a do-over on butchering his coaching selection if he fixes it now and fixes it right. If his decision is to ride another year with Freddie and it turns out to be anything less than a solid playoff season... then not only is Freddie gone, Dorsey is likely gone with him.

I'm not in the building every day to know what's going on but from my couch, if you asked me to put MY JOB on the line that Freddie can pull this together?.. I don't think so.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 12/18/19 05:35 PM.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
This is how I envision all of our coaches meetings during the week:

Asst. Coach: I've watched all the film. Our opponent struggles to stop the run and their offense really struggles when you blitz them a lot.

Other Asst. Coach: Yea, I saw the same thing. It seems obvious but, what game plan are we setting up?

Freddie: It is obvious, we aren't going to run the ball or blitz because that's what they'll be expecting........

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
You know, will, the weather has sucked lately. I guess that is on Freddie too?? lol

I see you continually criticizing other posters for finding and detailing issue with our coaching staff ... but instead of supplying reasons why they are wrong, or an alternate viewpoint you call them 'geniuses' or poke fun at them. If you think Freddie is doing a great job - please provide some context for that perspective.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
which coordinator has done enough to warrant the interim HC badge?

I think Mike Priefer has done a pretty great job. I'm not sure he's qualified to be a HC, but he did improve our Kick/Punt teams over last year. The thing I like about ST coaches being Head Coaches is that they are smart enough to know what they don't know, and are more willing to delegate to their OC and DC. Bill Cowher comes to mind when I think about ST coordinators who became successful HCs. There's others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Edit: John Harbaugh was the ST coord whose name escaped me.

Last edited by Dave; 12/18/19 05:57 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:

I think Mike Priefer has done a pretty great job. I'm not sure he's qualified to be a HC, but he did improve our Kick/Punt teams over last year. The thing I like about ST coaches being Head Coaches is that they are smart enough to know what they don't know, and are more willing to delegate to their OC and DC. Bill Cowher comes to mind when I think about ST coordinators who became successful HCs. There's others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

The Browns likely won't want the guy that was suspended 3 games for saying, “We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows," leading the franchise.

They've had enough headaches in the PR department.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Quote:

The Browns likely won't want the guy that was suspended 3 games for saying, “We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows," leading the franchise.

Do things like that and let’s say Bountygate really prevent those guys from getting HC gigs? If the team is willing to hire them as a coordinator, it’s not like that’s a low profile position either. Sean Payton was banned for his role in Bountygate and they still held his job for him. If he decided he wanted a change of scenery, I’m not sure another team would say no to hiring him over it like some tend to attribute to GW.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

We can forgive domestic abusers, habitual drunks and drug abusers, even felons, but God forbid we forgive a guy who told an offensive and regrettable joke that witnesses say the "offended" person (Chris Kluwe) laughed at. He was suspended without pay, sent to sensitivity training, widely castigated and humiliated, and he then apologized publicly. But that's clearly not good enough, nor will it ever be. Maybe Oprah Winfrey, Phil Donahue, or Dr Phil will take the job, because I doubt you'll find a football guy who never told an off-color joke.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

We can forgive domestic abusers, habitual drunks and drug abusers, even felons, but God forbid we forgive a guy who told an offensive and regrettable joke that witnesses say the "offended" person (Chris Kluwe) laughed at. He was suspended without pay, sent to sensitivity training, widely castigated and humiliated, and he then apologized publicly. But that's clearly not good enough, nor will it ever be. Maybe Oprah Winfrey, Phil Donahue, or Dr Phil will take the job, because I doubt you'll find a football guy who never told an off-color joke.

Just noting the likely reality of the situation of Priefer becoming our HC.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I have a theory I want to throw out there. Maybe the players haven't soured on Freddie, but maybe it's Baker. How many games have we seen Jarvis or Odell open and the ball thrown over their head and intercepted, or not even thrown their way? The passing game IMO, next to horrible schemes, is suffering more from Baker's poor play, than playcalling IMO. He has a progression, I doubt he is told throw to one guy only on a given play. Freddie has his own problems, don't get me wrong, but Baler has not been good. Without garbage time this past week, he wouldn't have even broken 200 yards against a team giving up an average of 300+ weekly.

Just a thought

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
As for the "horrific collapse", I see the Cardinals game as step one. If these guys show the same effort against Baltimore at home, I would call that the final nail. Losing to Cinci would throw the dirt on the coffin.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
As for the "horrific collapse", I see the Cardinals game as step one. If these guys show the same effort against Baltimore at home, I would call that the final nail. Losing to Cinci would throw the dirt on the coffin.

If this were early in the season and everyone were healthy, maybe. Our defense stands no chance as is (assuming no Vernon.) Plus there's the likelihood that these games are likely meaningless anyways. We're ~99.9% out of the playoffs. Winning would really only drop us further down the draft board and maybe make us drop down a tier on the available OTs when we pick.

We might both be trying to lose in week 17.

Sad, but some of Dorsey's decisions after Myles' suspension looked like he was going full Sam Hinkie on the rest of the season.

If we can work on specific aspects of something and get better, that's great. I'm not worried about winning when it no longer matters and our roster is missing key pieces.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a theory I want to throw out there. Maybe the players haven't soured on Freddie, but maybe it's Baker.

Maybe the players have just soured on losing. Who can blame them? Losing sucks.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, win two of these games and we would be in very good shape.

Denver, Cardinals, Steelers.

If you are a playoff caliber team; you can not lose those games. Cardinals with a rookie quarterback and three wins.
Denver started a guy who had never played a NFL game. And then we lose to a guy named Duck. A undrafted, third string quarterback with zero NFL experience.

The worst thing about this season is expectations versus results.

Something is wrong when you look at the players on the Browns and their record.

At the end of last season I could not wait to play again. As this season progressed it became close to unwatchable.
I have looked at this every which way. In the end analysis
the head coach's job is to get the most from every player on the team.

Some players like Chubb, Landry, Schobert, Bitonio, Tretter and probably others have played well. But those guys are made that way. They are self motivated.

Some of the others I am not sure about?

The question is did this team reach it's potential?

Blaming players is ok but did the team underachieve?

The next question has to be Freddie.

Is he worth keeping? If the record is on him will he improve?

Or, are there better options?

Haslam owns the team. It really is up to him. If Dorsey fights for Freddie then he believes he will get better. If Dorsey gives up on Freddie. It is over for him.

My guess is Haslam will want him gone.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
As a lifelong fan, I could never say this

Quote:
I'm not worried about winning when it no longer matters and our roster is missing key pieces

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
I have a theory I want to throw out there. Maybe the players haven't soured on Freddie, but maybe it's Baker.

Maybe the players have just soured on losing. Who can blame them? Losing sucks.

The players know why they are losing. They see the film. Losing brings out the blame game, and I have to believe that when they watch the film, they know who is to blame.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
I guess I only speak for myself,

oobs...you are not alone...those of us who thought OBJ would be a different player once free of the NYG...we learned that some players are what they are.

OBJs performance is a reflection upon who OBJ is...disappointing.

Sorry Mac. I don't agree, even if I have mellowed a bit and consider you a friend and try to agree.

I don't think OBJ is disappointing. A player doesn't go from one of the most dynamic in the league to a "average Joe" at his age unless something is causing it.

There are factors in play that are causing him to look rather average, and it isn't just OBJ.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have a theory I want to throw out there. Maybe the players haven't soured on Freddie, but maybe it's Baker. How many games have we seen Jarvis or Odell open and the ball thrown over their head and intercepted, or not even thrown their way? The passing game IMO, next to horrible schemes, is suffering more from Baker's poor play, than playcalling IMO. He has a progression, I doubt he is told throw to one guy only on a given play. Freddie has his own problems, don't get me wrong, but Baler has not been good. Without garbage time this past week, he wouldn't have even broken 200 yards against a team giving up an average of 300+ weekly.

Just a thought

Interesting take. Baker clearly isn’t the same charismatic leader he was last year. It’s probably not helping matters, but I don’t think he’s been so bad that he’s the primary source of the overall team demeanor.

Jarvis seems to be getting his. If he had a problem with Baker I’d think we’d see him yelling at Bake, not Lindley and Freddie. Unless there is some seriously bad blood between he and Bake.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend

We gave up 38 points.

Not many games are won when you can not stop the oppositions offense.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just clicking.

Here's a question. When all is said and done, who is going to be our head coach for game 1 of the 2020 season?

1) Freddie Kitchens
2) Someone other than Freddie Kitchens

If you had to put your money on one of those, which would it be?

I'm going with 2) someone other than FK. Call it a gut feeling, but it's a gut feeling based on how the season has transpired and some of the distractions along the way.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

Just a thought

Interesting take. Baker clearly isn’t the same charismatic leader he was last year. It’s probably not helping matters, but I don’t think he’s been so bad that he’s the primary source of the overall team demeanor.

Jarvis seems to be getting his. If he had a problem with Baker I’d think we’d see him yelling at Bake, not Lindley and Freddie. Unless there is some seriously bad blood between he and Bake.

Baker is one of the 5 worst QB in the league this year, so yes he's the primary source of problems in this team, he and the HC.

Let me rephrase that. taking into consideration the quality of the OL receivers and support cast, Baker is hands down the worst QB in the league this year.

Last edited by rastanplan; 12/19/19 11:40 AM.
Legend
Legend

Obviously there will be one very important meeting between Haslam and Dorsey.

That meeting will decide Freddie's fate.

As I stated it is my belief that Haslam will want to make a change. Haslam has turned football operations over to Dorsey. So he will listen to Dorsey. If Dorsey makes a strong enough case to keep Freddie; Haslam may accept his viewpoint and Freddie remains.

If Dorsey wants to move on; it is over for Freddie.

If Dorsey states his position and Haslam strongly disagrees Freddie is toast.

IMO Haslam went along with Dorsey on the selection of Freddie however he may have had reservations.

So Dorsey has to be very convincing in his argument to keep Freddie.

In the end Haslam will do as he sees fit.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Report: Browns plan to retain Freddie Kitchens 'barring a horrific collapse'

Link Copied to Clipboard