Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
Any rumors about McCarthy getting an interview? It seems like Rivera to the Skins is a done deal, so I guess we can cross him off the list.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I like that we're at least not wasting any time with our interviews.

I think we can interview the Saleh & Roman this week. I think we need to wait after NE's game (so next week) for McDaniels.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Saleh is interesting to me as well .. good one

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
i dont want saleh. reminds me of another mike pettine

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Swish
i dont want saleh. reminds me of another mike pettine

Not all guys who shave their heads look or act alike.

Legend
Legend
thats a stupid stereotype and not at all was stated.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Legend
Legend
R
Why does he remind you of Pettine then?

Btw, I was just pulling your chain. I shave my head so I thought it was funny.

But yeah, why does he remind you of Pettine other than that?

Legend
Legend
i think for defenisve minded HC, they typically need to be DC's longer to be quality HC's. i think that was the issue with pettine, and will be the same with Saleh.

and dont get me wrong, i think he's a beast of a DC, but he's been a DC for 3 seasons, and assistants to the assistants prior to that.

pettine was DC for the jets i believe 3 years? then had one season at buffalo before we hired him. and like pettine, i dunno if his coaching style will carry over to the other side of the ball.

i wouldnt be upset, btw, just i dont think it will work out.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think I might like Stefanski. He is supposed to be hard-nosed and thats what we need. I'm sick of watching the Browns lay down these last few weeks.

OBJ and Landry have both been cutting off routes. OBJ might be great but I didn't see it. To many drops and tips to the other team, and whats with that under the chin wave. It looks stupid. That guy is more trouble than he's worth. Watch,shoes, visor plus I believe he is a bad influence on Landry and hurts Baker.

This team needs discipline.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
The second I saw Robert Saleh getting all fired up on the sidelines the night the 49ers took us to the woodshed, I knew he'd be the new "hot" head coaching candidate.

And my wife used "hot" to describe him in different context.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

probably because Dorsey had seen enough 3 weeks ago and knew he was going to be hiring a new HC.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Saw on an ESPN show, they mentioned Jack Del Rio. And how a hard nosed coach like him would be an ideal fit for our team/egos that exist on this team....thoughts?

What do I think of hiring Del Rio? I think I don't want to be stuck in 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 for the next X number of years (however long he is coach).

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Rumors are browns have been making calls for weeks now gauging interest

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

probably because Dorsey had seen enough 3 weeks ago and knew he was going to be hiring a new HC.

Probably because Dorsey saw enough, weeks ago, to start being proactive about keeping his own job.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My problem ( and I have many ) lol , is nothing changes with the Haslam's as owners .. Thank You NFL !

M
Legend
Legend
M

I wonder why...

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Every year the Pat's get the the door knock to approve job interviews.

Charlie Weiss on down the line. A number have gone on to be head coaches. Many have failed.

McDaniels bombed in Denver. 8-8 then 3-9 when fired. Maybe he was not ready at 33 years old to be head coach.

Maybe he learned.

Maybe??? I am leery of maybe's.

We need a guy who can command a room. A "I've been there done that guy."

Hot shot coordinators are hit and miss. It is way different being a the head coach than a coordinator or a position coach. You can be buddies as coordinators or position coaches. You don't have to look a player in the eye and cut him when you like the guy.

I would like a former head coach who has succeeded before.

People may have different views about Mike McCarthy but the guy won a Super Bowl. That is no accident.

His record:

Regular season: 125–77–2 (.618)
Postseason: 10–8 (.556)
Career: 135–85–2 (.613)

Smells like winning.

Is he the right guy? We could do worse.

I don't know if he is or not. But he has a proven record. He worked for Sean Payton who I have respect for.

The other guys? More risk versus proven reward.

That doesn't mean that McDaniels, Stefanski, or Roman can not turn out to be good head coaches.

I just prefer a guy who has held the position before.

Legend
Legend
whats the resume of Stefanski? i legit dont know much about him.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Saw on an ESPN show, they mentioned Jack Del Rio. And how a hard nosed coach like him would be an ideal fit for our team/egos that exist on this team....thoughts?

What do I think of hiring Del Rio? I think I don't want to be stuck in 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 for the next X number of years (however long he is coach).

his defenses were good. and he wouldve made a deep playoff push if Carr never broke his leg that one season. also, i think Mayfield might be the best QB he would have walking into the HC job.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm going to stay firmly seated in the "prior HC experience boat" as well. Mcarthy has the record I like, but I'd be solid with anyone with over a .500 record. It wouldn't even have to be be hugely over because you have to factor in that they may not have had top talent all years.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think based on what we have done in past, with the supposed talent on the team and what is needed..McCarthy is the safest choice, give him 3 years. You know he can win and take teams where you ultimately want to go, so then if they don't, you have to start looking at the talent. I would have Hired him already and just beat the rush. We could do alot worse and usually do by overthinking it and hiring an overhyped coordinator

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I wonder why...

This tweet is very confusing. SI reported that McCarthy was going to interview with Browns. I think they're referring to last season

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Gettleman and Dorsey, 2 peas in a pod.. How crazy would that be if both fired after they were involved in most talked about offseason moves

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

He's been with the Vikings basically his whole career. He started as an assistant to the head coach and is now the offensive coordinator.

Here is more:

M
Legend
Legend
M

If you have access to it, read The Rise of Kevin Stefanski a feature piece that was written on him in The Athletic back in September of this year. It's pretty insightful.

Legend
Legend
thanks for the intel bro

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: mgh888

MGH...I personally like Del Rio...He is the type that demands respect...And you need it with a lot of the knuckleheads we have. Now I remember him having a tough ass D and taking Jacksonville to the playoffs. I really don't remember much of him in Oakland, though I remember he had a great year there (could it have been the one year Darren McFadden actually stayed healthy? I'm not sure) I think he was tough in Denver too, however off the top of my head I get him and John Fox mixed up during Denver days there.

I am worried about hiring a guy whom has NOT been a HC before...guess that's the after effect. So to be honest, I would prefer a guy whom has a strong HC resume...And Del Rio does fit that bill...I would agree to as someone stating he would be paired with a strong suited OC...And I think that would be ideal. I however will admit...I'm not sure on the lateral moves coaches can make.

The last coach I wanted badly (and trust me when I say I was one of the very few whom wanted him on here) Was Zimmer...and he has done very well. I also wanted Gregg Williams over Freddie...for whatever it's worth.

I'll admit I don't know as much on coaches as I do with players. But we do need someone whom is well versed in all aspects of HC, and someone whom demands respect and accountability...I'm sure others will fit that forte, but Del Rio does as well...He has found success everywhere he has coached.

But in all honesty, I'm not even sure what we'll do.

O
Legend
Legend
O

If you have access to it, read The Rise of Kevin Stefanski a feature piece that was written on him in The Athletic back in September of this year. It's pretty insightful.

Based on the title, kinda sounds like it's gonna be a fluff piece, but I'll still be reading intently to get info on the guy. Thank you for the link.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M

Based on the title, kinda sounds like it's gonna be a fluff piece, but I'll still be reading intently to get info on the guy. Thank you for the link.

It's not. The Athletic doesn't write fluff pieces.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I fear the Stefanski ship has sailed for us unfortunately.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Just get it right meat heads.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
I do not see why we would want to go after McDaniels. He failed in Denver (though he might've learned from it), and he stood up the Colts like no HC candidate ever has in the past. People talking about somebody with "a strong HC resume" should run away from this guy, IMO.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

I wonder why...

This tweet is very confusing. SI reported that McCarthy was going to interview with Browns. I think they're referring to last season

Everyone thought we were not interested in McCarthy last year, but this suggests we really were and he was not interested in us.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

I wonder why...

Everyone thought we were not interested in McCarthy last year, but this suggests we really were and he was not interested in us.
That's how I read it as well, but I dunno if I buy that. I say this with all seriousness, the Browns gig should (would've been moreso last year) a pretty sought after coaching position. Look, I'm kinda making fun of myself while posting this (given the season and the game yesterday) but we're a team with a young, talented QB and with young talent peppered throughout the roster. Better coaching would've netted us at least 3 more wins, if not more. Coaches don't normally get vacant positions with as much talent as we have on our roster.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I fear the Stefanski ship has sailed for us unfortunately.

There are rumors that if the Vikings are bounced in the first round they will fire Mike Zimmer and possibly keep Stefanski around as head coach. If Zimmer is fired I would guess he ends up as the head coach of the Cowboys.

Last edited by cfrs15; 12/30/19 05:14 PM. Reason: This post got jacked up.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic

I wonder why...

Pretty much. Seems like maybe McCarthy isn't in the running afterall.

the fact he isn't in for an interview today or even scheduled for one this week is pretty alarming. Its not like he has other things going on?

He has met with the Panthers twice though....

My gut tells me McCarthy ends up in NY Giants or Panthers.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard