Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
E
Legend
Legend
E
We should be the top HC destination in the NFL.

They should all be drooling to work with our talent.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I wonder why...

This tweet is very confusing. SI reported that McCarthy was going to interview with Browns. I think they're referring to last season

Everyone thought we were not interested in McCarthy last year, but this suggests we really were and he was not interested in us.

that's what I heard as well. I also heard he really wanted to take a year off and decompress, analyze, and rebuild his toolbelt to be a better coach.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I wonder why...

This tweet is very confusing. SI reported that McCarthy was going to interview with Browns. I think they're referring to last season

Everyone thought we were not interested in McCarthy last year, but this suggests we really were and he was not interested in us.

that's what I heard as well. I also heard he really wanted to take a year off and decompress, analyze, and rebuild his toolbelt to be a better coach.

He interviewed for the Jets job last year.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Add a top 10 pick to go with it.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I wonder why...

That's how I read it as well, but I dunno if I buy that. I say this with all seriousness, the Browns gig should (would've been moreso last year) a pretty sought after coaching position. Look, I'm kinda making fun of myself while posting this (given the season and the game yesterday) but we're a team with a young, talented QB and with young talent peppered throughout the roster. Better coaching would've netted us at least 3 more wins, if not more. Coaches don't normally get vacant positions with as much talent as we have on our roster.

I read somewhere that McCarthy was told he would have to accept Freddy as his OC and McCarthy declined.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I wonder why...

That's how I read it as well, but I dunno if I buy that. I say this with all seriousness, the Browns gig should (would've been moreso last year) a pretty sought after coaching position. Look, I'm kinda making fun of myself while posting this (given the season and the game yesterday) but we're a team with a young, talented QB and with young talent peppered throughout the roster. Better coaching would've netted us at least 3 more wins, if not more. Coaches don't normally get vacant positions with as much talent as we have on our roster.

I read somewhere that McCarthy was told he would have to accept Freddy as his OC and McCarthy declined.

That's a very believable and understandable situation.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have to disagree...

All the talent in the world does not outweigh the train wreck of ownership...

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

I have to disagree...

Pretty sure the owners are neither coaching the team nor making the draft picks.

Haslams dont seem like meddlers. They seem like inexperienced Team Owners.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have to disagree...

Ownership hires people who we think will be good.
We give all the support and the head coaches fail.
If the coaches wouldn't suck so bad or cause pure chaos... ownership wouldn't be forced to fire them.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Haslams dont seem like meddlers

Ray Farmer and the homeless guy would disagree.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Haslams dont seem like meddlers.

They don't?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Great, let's just start the whole roster over again. crazy :puke:

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have to disagree...

Pretty sure the owners are neither coaching the team nor making the draft picks.

Haslams dont seem like meddlers. They seem like inexperienced Team Owners.

They stepped in when they absolutely needed to this time. I dont love em but their timing here was right.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Urban Meyer among Browns' coaching considerations
Print

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Dec. 30, 2019 at 08:17 a.m.Updated: Dec. 30, 2019 at 02:49 p.m.

Cleveland is now set to hire their ninth full-time head coach since 2000.

In announcing Kitchens' ouster, owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam underscored they did not see the "success or opportunities for improvement to move forward with him as our head coach" and noted they're focused on "hiring an exceptional leader."

Put that more simply: We want someone with head coaching experience.

Whereas Kitchens rose suddenly from running backs coach to offensive coordinator to head coach in half a year, the Browns want the opposite, a stabilizing force who has been through the meatgrinder before.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport on Monday gave us some potential candidates Cleveland is expected to consider in its latest coaching search. In no particular order:

Urban Meyer: The former Ohio State coach brought a college championship to the area and has many supporters in the state. Meyer stepped away for health reasons but has been very visible recently, to which Pelissero notes makes some believe a comeback could be on the horizon.

Robert Saleh: The Browns have put in a request to interview the 49ers defensive coordinator, Rapoport reported. He is in his 15th NFL season and third as the 49ers DC.

Josh McDaniels: The Patriots OC has turned down several chances to leave New England, including the high-profile spurning of the Colts two years ago. McDaniels grew up in Canton, Ohio. Pelissero added that while McDaniels has eschewed other opportunities, Cleveland is one he'd entertain. Rapoport reported that the Browns and Panthers are making requests to interview McDaniels, per a source.

Mike McCarthy: The former Packers coach would bring the requisite experience, with a Super Bowl championship and years of working with QBs. McCarthy also has ties to Browns GM John Dorsey from their time together in Green Bay. Cleveland wanted to interview McCarthy last year, but at that point, it was pretty apparent that Kitchens was getting the gig, Pelissero noted. With the Carolina Panthers appearing to be closing in on McCarthy, the Browns could swoop in.

Kevin Stefanski: The Browns have put in a request to interview the Vikings offensive coordinator, Pelissero reported, per a source. He interviewed with the Browns last offseason and was a finalist for the job. Stefanski has no NFL or college head coaching experience. In 2019 under Stefanski, the Vikings had their highest-scoring offense this decade.

Greg Roman: The Ravens OC is expected to be a hot candidate this year after helping revolutionize Baltimore's offense. Roman has never been a head coach, but has extensive experience guiding multiple dual-threat offenses and has proven he can conjure schemes that best fit his personnel.

Dennis Allen: The Saints defensive coordinator has head coaching experience, compiling a 4-28 record in less than three seasons in Oakland. Allen has helped lift a limp Saints defense into one of the better units in the NFL in three seasons in New Orleans.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-considerations

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd take Urban and Dorsey over McDaniels and a whole new GM or McDaiels acting as GM. And I don't particularly want Urban ....

It doesn't sound as if my top 2 choices are really viable: McCarthy / Rivera. I'd much prefer an experienced NFL HC rather than promoting a coordinator or seeking a college HC, no matter their resume. Ugh - My preferences in order, at this stage, (assuming Rivera is going to the Redskins as widely speculated):

McCarthy - big push.
Jim Harbaugh.
Urban.
Stefanski.
Matt Campbell (Iowa State).
Matt Rhule (Baylor)
Greg Roman.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/30/19 05:44 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think the best choice for the Browns is McCarthy.

Which means he will not be the guy.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Something tells me McDaniels is coming in here and is going to bust this thing up
. If McDaniels wants it you know the Haslams will be all giddy.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
Something tells me McDaniels is coming in here and is going to bust this thing up

I think the player personnel currently here is why he's seemingly driving for the job. He sees something that piques his interest in Cleveland.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I have to disagree...

Ownership hires people who we think will be good.
We give all the support and the head coaches fail.
If the coaches wouldn't suck so bad or cause pure chaos... ownership wouldn't be forced to fire them.

Exactly. Had this season gone the way it could or should have, we wouldn't be hearing anything from the Haslams aside from congratulations.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I don't think they will let him bust it up. There's been too much invested to get to this point AND it was lack of coaching, not players or talent at the root of this crap season.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Haslams dont seem like meddlers.

They don't?

You have never seen a meddler until you have seen Arthur Blank.

Not that Arthur Blank is bad, because I like him very much.

But, the Haslams arent meddlers.

No Craps Given
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Not for nothing.

But I'm not sold on McDaniels. He does well in New England but he is doing it with Tom "GOAT" Brady and Bill "GOAT" Belichek. He tanked the Denver team, and made a mess out of his staff. And to bail on Indy like he did shows he is an unreliable. But I understand Dee Haslam is high on him, so I guess we'll see.

Furthermore, if he does come here and wants to bring his own front office then what does that do for Highsmith? Wolf? I'm sure Dorsey would be given his walking papers, but we have a solid front office. So we're gonna blow that up?

I can't help but feel, that while Kitchens was the wrong hire, and he should have been let go, I have zero faith Haslam won't overreach, overreact, or bungle up the next hire.

Legend
Legend
Front office rumor...

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
JMO but I feel Greg Roman and Kevin Stefanski bring more to the table than Josh McDaniels. GR and KS seem to really be able to fit their personnel to a scheme. JD hasn't been able to get the Pats O going all year. Their O really hasn't gotten any better from game 1 until now and he hasn't fit new players in that well.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

I think the player personnel currently here is why he's seemingly driving for the job. He sees something that piques his interest in Cleveland.

The Patriots wanted Baker:

Quote:
At least according to Mayfield's agent, Jack Mills.

"We knew the Jets at No. 3 was the bottom line," Mills said during an appearance on former NFL executive Andrew Brandt's podcast. "We had another team -- which is going to surprise you -- another team had said, 'You may get a big surprise on draft day at No. 2 if [Mayfield] is available.' It was the Patriots. They had (No.) 23 and they had (No.) 31, and they had two seconds, and I don't know. We thought, boy, that's going to be a heck of a move to get up that high from where they are. And of course, he wasn't available so we never knew if that was a reality or not."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker...adnt-taken-him/

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
JMO but I feel Greg Roman and Kevin Stefanski bring more to the table than Josh McDaniels. GR and KS seem to really be able to fit their personnel to a scheme. JD hasn't been able to get the Pats O going all year. Their O really hasn't gotten any better from game 1 until now and he hasn't fit new players in that well.

Yeah see, I can't help but think he's a one trick pony. Sure he looks good, but look who he is with. I think he's a fit in NE a bust anywhere else.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I live in Pats territory and see every Pats game. Like I said earlier, their O hasn't been right all year and never got better from game 1 until now.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Damn it I wanted Rivera

Joe Thomas #73
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Their O has not been right maybe because their OL has sucked and has been injured (Wynn and Andrews) all year and they lost one of the greatest TEs in the game as well as one of the best FBs in the game (Devlin).

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Add a top 10 pick to go with it.

Then throw in the arctic moonscape and gray overcast we get to wake up to for the next 3 months. What's not to love?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's hire our 3rd coordinator from the Patriots... what could go wrong?

Al Groh (only one season in the NFL 9-7 coached in college after)
Romeo Crennel (4-15 NFL 2 years Browns)
Eric Mangini (33-47 5 years in NFL 2 with the Browns)
Josh McDaniels (11-17 2 years in the NFL)
Jim Schwartz (29-51 5 years with the Lions)
Bill O’Brien (52-44 the only coordinator with an NFL winning record at .542 thanks to the last 2 seasons with Watson he was 31-33)
Matt Patricia (9-22-1 2 seasons in the NFL)

combined record: 147-203-1 Yeah... I'll pass.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haslam wants McDaniels which means Dorsey is history.

WRONG MOVE JIMMY!

I want Mike McCarthy/John Dorsey.

Another Eric Mangini era in Cleveland. Can't wait.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Bill O’Brien (52-44 the only coordinator with an NFL winning record at .542 thanks to the last 2 seasons with Watson he was 31-33)

Where does Nick Saban fit on this list?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like both Roman and Stefanski. Roman resembles Freddie, alot. Not that that matters. Both are young 47 and 37 I think.
Both seem no nonsense and good at keeping things simple and schemes tailored to their guys talents. Could 3rd time interviewing be a charm for KS? Can you ignore what Roman has done for the Rats O?

Interested in how these two do

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. I live in Pats territory and see every Pats game. Like I said earlier, their O hasn't been right all year and never got better from game 1 until now.

Just say No to McDaniels.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

sorry! I thought I added him...

Nick Saban 15-17 (2 NFL seasons never coached in the NFL again)

combined record with Saban: 162-220-1 Yeah... I'll pass.
[/quote]

D
Legend
Legend
D

15-17 ... 2 seasons in the NFL.

wink

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I don't see why anyone would want McDaniels after he bailed on the Colts. I don't trust him.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend

Saban never coached for the Patriots.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I forgot that was why I left him off originally. LOL

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard