Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
If by some dumb set of circumstances we pick McDaniels, I sure hope we don't give him full control.

He hasn't proven he can coach a team much less control the team.

We need structure, we need someone the player will have immediate respect for, we need someone who understands what it takes and what they are getting themselves into.

The rumor is that he wants to bring in his own GM and structure. That's kind of why I don't want him. I'd rather not blow up another Front Office.

Some have said McCarthy would not work under Dorsey either.

Who knows what will happen after the dust settles.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
God I don't understand the Mcdaniels love...dude has failed every single position that wasn't at NE

All 1 of them ... *LOL* ...

McDaniels was also the OC of the St. Louis Rams after his HC stint in Denver.
How old was he with those teams

I am 35, I began management at my current position at 31. I can assure you, am above and beyond a better manager and leader today, than I was just 4 years ago.

Some people have an ability to learn to and adapt. Some dont (Freddie). Nothing about him says he cannot learn from his past.

he also took a team to the playoffs with Tebow at QB - so I would hold his entire career at Den in against him.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My first choice was Rivera.

Honestly, I think Jason Garrett would be a quality choice if he gets fired. I think so little of Dak Prescott and he has done wonders with him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
If by some dumb set of circumstances we pick McDaniels, I sure hope we don't give him full control.

He hasn't proven he can coach a team much less control the team.

We need structure, we need someone the player will have immediate respect for, we need someone who understands what it takes and what they are getting themselves into.

The rumor is that he wants to bring in his own GM and structure. That's kind of why I don't want him. I'd rather not blow up another Front Office.

Some have said McCarthy would not work under Dorsey either.

Who knows what will happen after the dust settles.

McCarthy was my #1 choice before Freddie was even let go - he's still my #1 and for McCarthy I'd absolutely let Dorsey walk if it meant landing him. . . . he's the only candidate I would do that for.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Garret as an offensive coordinator - yes. Not as a HC imo. But he fits the bill of experienced HC and I'd look at him over a lot of the coordinators we are going to talk to.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Who would you take over Garrett from this list?

Browns reported interview candidates:
-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
-Kevin Stefanski, Vikings OC
-Mike McCarthy, former Packers HC
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Garret as an offensive coordinator - yes. Not as a HC imo. But he fits the bill of experienced HC and I'd look at him over a lot of the coordinators we are going to talk to.

Apparently the entire Cowboys staff has been canned so there's more guys today searching for work.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know who the coach "should" be,

but I hope he either gives (belechic like) answers in press conferences,

Or animated off the cuff responses!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: BpG

-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

I would take Josh, Stefanski, McCarthy.

Garrett has had a good bit of talent and has not succeeded with it. WE need a guy that get into the playoffs and WIN. not a perennial 8-8 guy.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Your a fan of letting the tail wag the dawg i see ... *L* ....

diam...and you are NO DIFFERENT!... poke

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
God I don't understand the Mcdaniels love...dude has failed every single position that wasn't at NE

I am 35, I began management at my current position at 31. I can assure you, am above and beyond a better manager and leader today, than I was just 4 years ago.

Some people have an ability to learn to and adapt. Some dont (Freddie). Nothing about him says he cannot learn from his past.

he also took a team to the playoffs with Tebow at QB - so I would hold his entire career at Den in against him.

he did no such thing, Tebow was still in college when Mcdaniels took over Denver, it was jon fox that took a tebow team to playoffs

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

No he didn't. That was John Fox. McDaniels was fired the year before.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The point still stands though...

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
McDaniels coached in Denver a decade ago at 33 years old. I have to imagine he has learned quite a bit in 10 years combined with that experience.

L
Legend
Legend
L
no actually it doesn't....if you were bad, and you got a little better, how is that better than a guy who is good to begin with and can still be better..it's all about the floor

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

That we should hire John Fox as coach?

L
Legend
Legend
L
McDaniels coached in Denver a decade ago at 33 years old. I have to imagine he has learned quite a bit in 10 years combined with that experience.

thats all fine and Dandy, I just don't want that experiment tested here.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

That we should hire John Fox as coach?

Nooooo...that guys who apply things they've experienced can certainly improve and change.

I though, dont care to have JM coach AND be general manager.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

he did no such thing, Tebow was still in college when Mcdaniels took over Denver, it was jon fox that took a tebow team to playoffs
Your right. Ill was mistaken.

he did go 8-8 with them, however - with far less talent than we have here.

Legend
Legend
JC

McDaniels has been with the Pats for the better part of 16 years... He's been OC for eight years. Talk about being on the "slow track".

Yet he thinks he should walk down a red carpet, be handed the keys to the franchise and somehow be the "football czar" the day he signs on the dotted line.

That would be about as "Browns" as it gets.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

If the "list" is accurate?

This screams no brainer.

Haslam one would believe must be thinking " I need an experienced head coach.

McCarthy is available. Not easy to get a shot at a guy who has won a Super Bowl. He has sustained success.

He has a strong offensive pedigree.

He has had a year off and has had time to reflect and recharge.

He has experience with Dorsey, Wolf and Highsmith.

Maybe other candidates will succeed but all of the others certainly have more risk.

Of the "hot" coordinators I would prefer Stefanski over McDaniels.

P
Legend
Legend
P
yeah, and that would be why I wouldn't want him, if we brought him in to just coach, I could get on board and back him, but if we bring him in and give him the whole ship, I will just shake my head in disbelief.

That's the kind of power and control one earns with a proven HC record. Something a guy like McCarthy or another long time, winning NFL HC may be able to command.

Giving that kind of power to a crap shoot would be foolish.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I remember bringing up the "Mystery Box" scene from Family Guy last year around this time, when we had Gregg Williams who had just gone 6-2 and others wanted to go with some other exotic pick like Lincoln Riley, just because it represented something that "could" be better.

Here's the scene if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZJdaiJF84

McCarthy is this year's "boat". He's the established guy that taken teams to the playoffs multiple years. He would slide right into the current Front Office structure and be ready to go Day 1. Many of these other guys are the "mystery box". We don't know what we're getting, but hey! It might be a guy that could get us to the playoffs every year. We've always wanted one of those!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hiring andy reids OC is like hiring BB defensive coordinator...they aren't going to be successful.. I think this time around you pass on everyone that doesn't have HC track record... you have to know what you are getting. McCarthy, Caldwell, Gruden, or even Del Rio..but get a guy you can look at experience..McCarthy is the no brainer here. Marty diciple, offensive guru, 3 losing seasons in 13 years and won 135 games...I'm not even sure why this is debatable, usually guys like this don't last long on the market. He has same winning percentage as Andy Reid and a better playoff record than Reid...how many people wouldn't mind Reid coming here? Oh and he's never lost to the browns..lol

Doug Peterson would tend to disagree with this statement.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

I was merely pointing out that McDaniels was not just with one other organization outside NE.

Nowhere, did I insinuate McDaniels has not grown as a coach or could not.

In fact, I have no problem at all if the Browns hire McDaniels.

*Nor do I have any issues with McCarthy or Stefanski.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

All.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Hiring andy reids OC is like hiring BB defensive coordinator...they aren't going to be successful.. I think this time around you pass on everyone that doesn't have HC track record... you have to know what you are getting. McCarthy, Caldwell, Gruden, or even Del Rio..but get a guy you can look at experience..McCarthy is the no brainer here. Marty diciple, offensive guru, 3 losing seasons in 13 years and won 135 games...I'm not even sure why this is debatable, usually guys like this don't last long on the market. He has same winning percentage as Andy Reid and a better playoff record than Reid...how many people wouldn't mind Reid coming here? Oh and he's never lost to the browns..lol

Nick Saban, Florres seems like a good coach so far, Bill Obrien, Vrabel never coached for him, but played for him and has done very well in Tenn.

L
Legend
Legend
L

Brad Childress, marty Mornhinweg, pat shurmer agree with me...this is a fun game...who else you got

L
Legend
Legend
L
to add to my point about Reid...strangely enough, the people with the most success from his staffs are all on defense

M
Legend
Legend
M

-Josh McDaniels, Pats OC - Just say no.
-Greg Roman, Ravens OC
-Robert Saleh, 49ers DC (Too soon for HC gig)
-Mike McCarthy, former Packers HC - No one is above this guy on my list
-Brian Daboll, Bills OC - this is sort of a push. It'd have to be on the interview
-Mike LaFleur, 49ers PGC

See above. I'd take Garrett ahead of the guys in White.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/31/19 01:00 PM.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Brad Childress, marty Mornhinweg, pat shurmer agree with me...this is a fun game...who else you got
out of sheer statistics - how many guys succeed as HC in the NFL? How many teams have had successful HC that have retired as HC? 10? 15? Im curious.

how many other HOF HC have had guys fail when they moved on?

You seem to think there is some proven scientific method of hiring a HC. Theres not. Many HC have failed. and then gone on to be great. Bill B was one of them.

You look at resume, style, coaching strategy, and personal attitude. Many things go into being successful as a HC. Some of these guys had them, some have not.

To think that just because someone coached somewhere under someone they are gong to fail is well , idiotic. These are ALL individuals.

Legend
Legend
It really doesn't matter who we hire.

The Cleveland Browns: Where coaching careers go to die ..... but hey, at least you got a 4 year deal!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
McDaniels is the only guy who used Tebow talents correctly. I’d be good if the Browns went with him as HC. Discipline is what’s missing imo.

McDaniels actually never really used Tebow. So if you mean he used his talents correctly by keeping him on the bench, sure.

L
Legend
Legend
L
the year he had tebow he didn't even finish the year before he was fired at 3-9

Legend
Legend

We gotta get this guy!

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

We gotta get this guy!

normal franchise would get the guy thats won a superbowl and 135 games, Jimmy will get the shiny thing hoping to strike oil from a waterspout

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

We gotta get this guy!

normal franchise would get the guy thats won a superbowl and 135 games, Jimmy will get the shiny thing hoping to strike oil from a waterspout

What has been the success of Super Bowl winning coaches after they have been fired?

Legend
Legend
Let's get Mike Holmgren!

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Holmgren the coach? absolutely... Holmgren the GM..pass

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard