Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I remember bringing up the "Mystery Box" scene from Family Guy last year around this time, when we had Gregg Williams who had just gone 6-2 and others wanted to go with some other exotic pick like Lincoln Riley, just because it represented something that "could" be better.

Here's the scene if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZJdaiJF84

McCarthy is this year's "boat". He's the established guy that taken teams to the playoffs multiple years. He would slide right into the current Front Office structure and be ready to go Day 1. Many of these other guys are the "mystery box". We don't know what we're getting, but hey! It might be a guy that could get us to the playoffs every year. We've always wanted one of those!

I’m a sucker for a good analogy/ illustrative point and that’s a pretty good one. I can honestly say that I care less who the actual name is and more what the qualities (which I’ve gone on ad nauseum about) are that I hope they land. Ultimately, none of us are a part of the process and therefore have no *real* idea who these guys are apart from resume’. Some resume’s are lengthly, some are short. There’s less risk in lengthy ones. I feel like I can glean some things from televised interviews and discussions and can usually tell if they’re a whiff but that’s my little trip. I don’t make the mistake that I really know. Despite my very outsider objections I hope the qualities reside in McDanials or McCarthy or whoever and it’s because of those qualities we choose them. But I have deep suspicions that our coach picking is broken. We have a natural river-boat gambler at the top of the pyramid. As much as it’s not about Haslam, it’s always about Haslam.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 12/31/19 02:02 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
McDaniels is the only guy who used Tebow talents correctly. I’d be good if the Browns went with him as HC. Discipline is what’s missing imo.

McDaniels had Tebow on the bench, didn't play him. John Fox is the coach who played Tebow.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wouldn't blame you if you skipped over the second paragraph of my previous post.

I just get the feeling that since we just got done with a guy like Freddie, people want to hire the first guy that walks through the door that held an NFL head coaching position at some point... and all our problems are solved.

The retreads are just as much of a crapshoot as the unknown young guys. That was my point.

Last edited by oobernoober; 12/31/19 02:03 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Have they set a meeting with McCarthy yet?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
WAsn't McDaniels the guy who traded Peyton Hillis to us for a ham Sandwich ?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I wouldn't blame you if you skipped over the second paragraph of my previous post.

I just get the feeling that since we just got done with a guy like Freddie, people want to hire the first guy that walks through the door that held an NFL head coaching position at some point... and all our problems are solved.

The retreads are just as much of a crapshoot as the unknown young guys. That was my point.
Yes and no.

I think the "retreads" that have won before have shown they can win with talent. We have talent.

there is less risk with a retread on OUR team as of TODAY than their is with someone who has never done it before.

Take a retread on this team in 2015-16 - I agree, they probably would have failed and it would have been a crapshoot.

I don't see how a guy like McCarthy, with what he HAS SHOWN in the league, would not succeed with this roster. I cant say that about anyone with 0 experience.

Your forgetting something in your opinion. The PLAYERS.

Freddie failed because of a few reasons, one of the BIGGEST ones, the players didn't really respect Freddie as a HC. Guys like McCarthy, players listen too and get on board. he garnishes respect because of his resume. hes been there done that. Its hard to get a guy to play every down, when their in pain, hurt, and tired - if they don't respect you and your resume.

that makes a difference in this league.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy’s bye week dance card is shaping up to be a full one.

Monday brought word that the Panthers and Giants both want to speak to Bieniemy about their head coaching vacancies. Another team added their name to the list on Tuesday.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the Browns have requested permission to speak to Bieniemy. He’s free to interview this week with the Chiefs off until the divisional round of the playoffs.

The Browns have assembled the longest list of candidates of any team looking for a head coach at this point in the process. Current NFL assistants Josh McDaniels, Greg Roman, Robert Saleh, Kevin Stefanski, Brian Daboll, Mike LaFleur and Mike McDaniel have all been linked with the team. They’d also like to talk to former Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, but Baylor head coach Matt Rhule has reportedly turned down a chance to speak to the team.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Exactly as i thought, Dorsey and Company not in love with McCarthy and vice versa. Has to be the reason he was not hired or interviewed last year.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’d take McCarthy over our FO. Coaching matters

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't mind the extensive list of interviews as long as this doesn't drag out. Even if your first round of interviews is an absurdly long list... fine.

It's when the list keeps growing and growing as you're interviewing people... that's when I'll starting worrying.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I hate to sound crass,but Bienemy puts the Browns in compliance with the Rooney Rule.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agreed.

M
Legend
Legend
M

This makes sense with the recent news.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Man the thought of Mcdaniels makes me question will to live...This guy is going to bust so hard

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
I hate to sound crass,but Bienemy puts the Browns in compliance with the Rooney Rule.
Seleh the DC form 49er already did. hes a minority coach.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Thanks was not aware of that

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
After the events of today, the firing of John Dorsey, I would be shocked if the coach is anyone other than Kevin Stefanski or Josh McDaniels. Stefanski was DePodesta's guy last year and Dorsey refused to interview McDaniels last year (allegedly).

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Thanks was not aware of that
I believe he is of Lebanese decent.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess McCarthy is just to much of a logical choice for the Browns ???

L
Legend
Legend
L
Bottom line, as long as fans keep filling stadium, ownership feels zero pressure to do anything with any urgency

Legend
Legend
Agreed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

Or he REALLY likes the NYG. That's a pretty high profile gig and he also has a big coaches ego to feed.

Legend
Legend
Plus Daniel Jones > Baker Mayfield right now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Bottom line, as long as fans keep filling stadium, ownership feels zero pressure to do anything with any urgency

So it's our fault the Browns keep losing?

Hell, I didn't know me sitting in my seats was the root cause of bad football. Damn me!

Wouldn't firing people at the rate the Haslam's have speak to urgency rather than complacency?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Apparently? If what others are saying about McDaniels wanting to bring in his GM and run things his way, I don't see how he'd end up being the guy given what we've heard in the Dorsey brake up. It doesn't make sense to take a hard line and tell Dorsey he needs to capitulate to the organizational structure, then bring in a guy and allow him to alter the organizational structure.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
allow him to alter the organizational structure.

There is no organizational structure. It will be structured based on who the head coach is.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Here is a good blow by blow of what happened with Josh McDaniels and the Colts:

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post...-and-back-again

Some highlights:

Quote:
By Tuesday afternoon, Robert and Jonathan Kraft, as well as Belichick, met with McDaniels again and made an aggressive pitch. McDaniels' conversation with Belichick had particular influence, a source said. Belichick wasn’t trying to talk McDaniels out of going, but he knew his offensive coordinator was having second thoughts.

Belichick offered to include McDaniels on more of the inner workings of the organization, from roster construction to financial/salary-cap related considerations. That was viewed as “extremely valuable” to McDaniels. Ownership also endorsed it as a way to extend Belichick’s influence on the organization in future years, although no assurances were given to McDaniels that he would succeed Belichick. McDaniels, who a source confirmed got a significant raise, has privately said in the past that he did not want to be the coach who succeeds Belichick. Although he since may have changed his mind, McDaniels knows Belichick, after five Super Bowl victories, will be a hard act to follow.

Quote:

McDaniels has been looking for the perfect head-coaching situation after his first stint with the Denver Broncos went sideways quickly. The Broncos wanted McDaniels to bring the Patriots' winning ways with him to the Rocky Mountains when they hired him in 2009. What they got instead was their very own videotaping scandal to go with losing and personnel blunders. McDaniels was fired less than halfway through his four-year, $8 million deal with an 11-17 record.

He has been working his way back ever since, keeping an Excel file on his laptop titled “lessonslearned.xls.” McDaniels has in recent years turned down opportunities to pursue available head-coaching jobs in Cleveland, Los Angeles and Atlanta.

One source said: “He’s always just insisted that everything be right, or he wasn’t going to leave.” It’s unclear what it was about the Colts' job that McDaniels ultimately decided wasn’t perfect, but he reached a point where he believed he was better off staying in New England.

It doesn't seem like Andrew Luck factored into the decision at all.

Here is a 2016 article on McDaniels entitled The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His Spots:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666...-pick-his-spots

Highlights:

Quote:
He had some long talks with Tony Dungy, his one-time rival with the Colts. Dungy told him he needed to self-reflect every year, whether he was fired or won the Super Bowl. They talked about the importance of being yourself and trusting instincts. Having fun is not a bad thing. Dungy stressed that a head coach's consistency with a team really mattered. They talked about the formula that makes a good coaching staff. Dungy gave him some ideas about keeping his faith at the center of his life as his coaching world turned.

Quote:
"I would look at his years in Denver as a positive, not a negative," one NFC general manager says. "It made him realize he needs to rely on his strengths. He now realizes that Belichick is a rarity, and no one can run the show like him. [But] like Bill, Josh can adapt to any circumstance, and he can do this with limited prep time. ...

"If I were an owner, hiring Josh would be a no-brainer."

Quote:
"Lesson Learned: Take time to digest information and make good, PATIENT decisions. Never rush into anything—all things are important. Impulsive—is a bad word—listen to everyone and make the RIGHT decision. Nothing gets fixed
quickly."

"Lesson Learned: LISTEN better. To anyone who tells me something. There are so many people who can help us win & have wisdom I don't have. I will do my part in teaching but can never stop learning myself. Best results come from a group effort!"

"Lesson Learned: Be considerate of assistant coaches' time, their emotions & make sure they always know how much I care. Push them, hold them accountable and love each one of them personally. We win as a team, we lose as a team and I always take responsibility for the losses. They get the credit when we win—they deserve it."

"Lesson Learned: I wanted to practice until I felt we totally had it. Wrong Choice. I need to lighten the load and REALIZE the value in allowing the players to feel good about that. Players who feel you are taking care of them will give you all they have during the week and on Sunday."

"Lesson Learned: Stay fresh & healthy—don't overdo it—it will eventually burn me out! Never let that happen!!!"

"Lesson Learned: Lean on my faith and be myself—I love this game and enjoy working hard at it to compete with the very best. Trust our process and enjoy each day—it's a blessing to work in this game—let people see how much I treasure this privilege."

Last edited by cfrs15; 12/31/19 05:49 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
allow him to alter the organizational structure.

There is no organizational structure. It will be structured based on who the head coach is.

I disagree and I think my position is strengthened the longer we retain DePo. DePo was brought in to create a system based on data. Not his ego, not his gut feelings, not his personal preferences in offensive or defensive scheme. He knew at the beginning it would take time and more importantly discipline in sticking to it. I'm going to presume its a system that is constantly revised, each time becoming more efficient.

The problem is that Jimmy Haslam isn't the most disciplined person, or maybe I should say patient. I think he's sold on what DePo has to offer, but there's a part of him that is desperate and tries to short cut at times.

Dorsey wasn't exactly known as a analytics guy. I think Jimmy jumped the gun bringing him in to spend the capital Sashi left in his will. It wasn't necessarily the wrong call to make but I' venture to guess bringing in a guy not 100% sold on your system is a deviation from that system.

Dorsey makes some good picks, most everyone is happy with how he spent that capital ( maybe even helps bridge that analytics to football gut instinct gap by picking Baker?). But then he goes and taps Freddie, deviating even further from that system.

At least for now, I think Haslam realizes just how far he strayed and is going back closer to that system.

DePo isn't going to be the guy that makes the decisions. He's the guy who consults the Bat Computer, presents recommendations and the data to support it. That's it.

I think the goal all along was to create that objective data driven system to take out as much guess work as possible, find a GM and HC who value that data and will largely follow it, but also who can recognize that "it" factor that you can't quantify. Kinda like who Hue Jackson was supposed to be when he got hired.

The organizational structure is there. We just have yet to have the slots filled out with the right people.

Of course when DePo gets fired tomorrow.... lol

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I think you are giving Jimmy Haslam too much credit. Paul DePodesta is just the person he is listening to at the moment, he just happens to be a smart person.

Legend
Legend
I think you are giving Jimmy Haslam too much credit. Paul DePodesta is just the person he is listening to at the moment, he just happens to be a smart person.

Until the next person walks in the room.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P

That's going to be my guess. Instead they'll go with someone who either was never an NFL HC or someone who did a poor job the first time because, "He may have learned from his mistakes".

I mean that formula has gotten us where we are now. Wait a minute..... that's not good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

That's going to be my guess. Instead they'll go with someone who either was never an NFL HC or someone who did a poor job the first time because, "He may have learned from his mistakes".

I mean that formula has gotten us where we are now. Wait a minute..... that's not good.
homeless guy.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Isn't the whole narrative around Mike McCarthy that he learned from his mistakes?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Isn't the whole narrative around Mike McCarthy that he learned from his mistakes?

No .. the narrative is that he is an experienced head coach with a winning record and a Super Bowl win.

P
Legend
Legend
P

There's a difference in learning from something you were terrible at and tweaking some things you were already good at.

McCarthy has the record to back that up. Rodgers got his way and Green Bay isn't better because of it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

No .. the narrative is that he is an experienced head coach with a winning record and a Super Bowl win.

It was the super bowl win thats lead to the confusion. You see everyone was buying him dinner after the win and he couldn’t eat it all and it lead to his, “missed steaks”.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's to say MM wants us? If it were just so simple...

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think the Browns need a leader as HC more then an Xs and Os guy.

LEADERSHIP.

L
Legend
Legend
L
It’s another typical new year’s eve for browns fans: we don’t know who our coach is, who is in charge, et cetera.

Jimmy is a moron as an NFL owner. He’s as dumb as the fifth coach that was let go under his watch.

I’d take McCarthy, wanted Rivera. Josh can stay away.

Can we get GW back?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard