Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Isn't the whole narrative around Mike McCarthy that he learned from his mistakes?

There's a difference in learning from something you were terrible at and tweaking some things you were already good at.

McCarthy has the record to back that up. Rodgers got his way and Green Bay isn't better because of it.

I'd argue Jim Caldwell is every bit as qualified as McCarthy, infact maybe moreso.

Caldwell got to a Super Bowl as a Head Coach

Caldwell took two different teams in 2 different conferences to the playoffs

Caldwell proved he could still win without Hall of Fame Peyton Manning, McCarthy hasn't proven he can do anything without Farve/Rodgers

Jim Caldwell is probably the best QB builder in the NFL right now and he is responsible for taking Peyton Manning play to a whole new level, and Manning himself even admitted this.

Why are we not talking to Caldwell, he is built for the Browns.

Caldwell will also pluck an assistant of the Dungy tree to run his D for him so he cna focus on O, specifically coaching his QB while having an OC call the plays.

you look how well Stafford played after Caldwell got there, and how much he fell off when he left.

Jim Caldwell should be getting every bit as much attention as McCarthy, and Caldwell isn't running an outdated O either, he is running the same system Manning ran in Indy, and that O fits Mayfield strengths to a tee.

Caldwell come soff the Tony Dungy coaching tree, He is a fantastic coach, Sad he can't even get a damn interview.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 12/31/19 10:09 PM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
One last thought

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with more than one team, so the chances of McCarthy winning one here is very slim.

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, i'd choose Caldwell. He just fits more of what we want, and he a better QB teacher than McCarthy.

PS: Caldwell also had a .500 record against McCarthy Packers from 2014-2017 despite having much inferior talent. just an FYI. Caldwell gets more out of less.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
yahoo put out that McCarthy is the first interview this why they fired dorsey and kitchens

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Isn't the whole narrative around Mike McCarthy that he learned from his mistakes?

There's a difference in learning from something you were terrible at and tweaking some things you were already good at.

McCarthy has the record to back that up. Rodgers got his way and Green Bay isn't better because of it.

I'd argue Jim Caldwell is every bit as qualified as McCarthy, infact maybe moreso.

Caldwell got to a Super Bowl as a Head Coach

Caldwell took two different teams in 2 different conferences to the playoffs

Caldwell proved he could still win without Hall of Fame Peyton Manning, McCarthy hasn't proven he can do anything without Farve/Rodgers

Jim Caldwell is probably the best QB builder in the NFL right now and he is responsible for taking Peyton Manning play to a whole new level, and Manning himself even admitted this.

Why are we not talking to Caldwell, he is built for the Browns.

Caldwell will also pluck an assistant of the Dungy tree to run his D for him so he cna focus on O, specifically coaching his QB while having an OC call the plays.

you look how well Stafford played after Caldwell got there, and how much he fell off when he left.

Jim Caldwell should be getting every bit as much attention as McCarthy, and Caldwell isn't running an outdated O either, he is running the same system Manning ran in Indy, and that O fits Mayfield strengths to a tee.

Caldwell come soff the Tony Dungy coaching tree, He is a fantastic coach, Sad he can't even get a damn interview.

Caldwell is old..thats why he's not getting a HC job again. He's not more qualified than McCarthy..thats just silly

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Any other interviews scheduled?

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I think the Browns need a leader as HC more then an Xs and Os guy.

LEADERSHIP.

Agree 100%

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I think the Browns need a leader as HC more then an Xs and Os guy.

LEADERSHIP.

A little humor to close out 2019....

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:
Quote:
No matter where he ends up, McCarthy doesn't envision a total teardown. ("I'm not a believer in [that]," he said. "I think every one of these opportunities that will be available, there's resources in there that you have to make sure you're aware of and try to utilize.") He wants to better use technology and analytics. ("We were definitely on the average side at best in my time in Green Bay there. I've looked at every team in the league and their commitment to analytics, and football technology and video. Because everybody has analytics, but it has to be part of your everyday operation to show up on Sundays.") At the forefront of the program will be player wellness, including dedicated resources for mental health. ("You have to develop the locker room from every possible angle. It can't be a subcontractor. It needs to be part of your everyday operation.")

These are excellent ideas. I especially like the bit about incorporating player wellness into the program. Positive effects from that should carry over to the film room and practice field, and ultimately on game days. Plus it's the right thing to do.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
One last thought

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with more than one team, so the chances of McCarthy winning one here is very slim.

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose, i'd choose Caldwell. He just fits more of what we want, and he a better QB teacher than McCarthy.

PS: Caldwell also had a .500 record against McCarthy Packers from 2014-2017 despite having much inferior talent. just an FYI. Caldwell gets more out of less.

Four #1 seeds never made it to the final four of the NCAA basketball tournament... until it happened.

These kind of statistical games are fairly meaningless when it comes to predicting future events. Caldwell is a good coach but it seems like using McCarthy's Super Bowl win against McCarthy (which is the logical endpoint of your argument) is very backwards...

Legend
Legend
I could live with this.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Depodesta would never get along with Mike McCarthy.

Depodesta favors an inexperience 1st year OC who graduated from an Ivy League college.

Just a hunch, but Haslam's GM will get his Ivy Leaguer

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Here’s an early prediction for how everything shakes out in Cleveland: Paul DePodesta winds up with more power, Andrew Berry becomes GM, Kevin Stefanksi as head coach.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/1212397250233667585

This is very reasonable prediction. Not a sure thing, but is the most likely scenario at this point.

https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/1212405980748754950

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
My biggest concern with the Stefanski situation is the Browns wanting him to be their guy just before MIN fires Zimmer this weekend & promotes Stefanski to HC.

There’s been rumblings that this could happen due to his popularity in the FO & Zimmer only 1 year left on his deal.

https://twitter.com/BrendanLeister/status/1212400798690414592

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Dude, you have no idea. Just like nobody else does. Nobody has any idea how much if any power DePodesta has in who the next HC will be. You're just sour right now. Give it a rest. As of now DePodesta is a part time numbers guy who lives in California.

Nothing actually points to him being any more than that other than rumors, the wishes of some and the hopes and dreams of the Sashiites.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
rofl "Part -time numbers guy."

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Depodesta would never get along with Mike McCarthy.

Depodesta favors an inexperience 1st year OC who graduated from an Ivy League college.

Just a hunch, but Haslam's GM will get his Ivy Leaguer

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

yep. He doesn't even live in Ohio and you have nothing but noise to prove otherwise. Just your dreams of what the 1-31 crowd did here. Oh how I miss that.

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

yep. He doesn't even live in Ohio and you have nothing but noise to prove otherwise. Just your dreams of what the 1-31 crowd did here. Oh how I miss that.

rofl

And yet he is now leading the HC search.

It's 2019 2020. We have mobile phones, the internet, video conferencing, google sheets, airplanes, etc.

You should check 'em out.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
He'll give his input just as he's done before. But leading it? He has done pretty well with his recommendations on who should be the HC so I hope his recommendations are taken seriously.

If Haslam's McDaniels love plays out as to him being the next HC, I'm quite sure it wasn't DePodesta who recommended that. There's a big difference in leading the search and having the final say.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Boo!

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Depodesta gets the entire organization pulling in the same direction for once good on him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Depodesta will be another waste and disaster.

The Haslem's don't care about winning, they just care about making a splash.

If they don't hire MM I'm truly done until there is new ownership.

As long as the Haslem's are in control, you will see exactly the same things you've always seen on Sunday's....LOSING!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Depodesta will be another waste and disaster.

The Haslem's don't care about winning, they just care about making a splash.

If they don't hire MM I'm truly done until there is new ownership.

As long as the Haslem's are in control, you will see exactly the same things you've always seen on Sunday's....LOSING!

MM has no say in it I suppose? He's got other interviews, other perks to consider. The NYG is a high profile gig. That has weight to it for a guy. MM or anyone might not come here regardless of ownerships effort to hire them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
True.

What decent head coach would want to work for this horrible ownership?

We will get another inexperienced and inadequate assistant head coach.

You can take that to the bank little fella.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
If Depodesta gets the entire organization pulling in the same direction for once good on him.

Posted this in the DePo thread as well....

Legend
Legend
Hmm

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
1. Assistant GM Eliot Wolf has a good chance to remain through the next head coaching/GM hire, from what I've been told. He has a good relationship with Paul DePodesta, is low-key in the org and very smart, and will likely stay unless someone comes in and insists on his removal.

2. VP of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith had not been fired as of Wednesday morning and may be headed to the University of Miami. Ownership/DePodesta will have a talk with Highsmith soon about his status in Cleveland going forward. I believe he will be out, one way or another

3. Part of why the Dorsey firing happened, beyond Kitchens' failure, is owner Jimmy Haslam realized he can't run an org w/ football & analytics being opposing forces in any way. He tried to force people to work together and it failed. He needs everyone unified from day 1 in 2020.

4. While DePodesta's title hasn't changed, he's clearly the No. 1 under Haslam in this coaching search. And if that remains the case, it's going to impact the candidate field. Josh McDaniels, for example, is going to be a problematic target if DePodesta retains a power position.

5. There's strong opinion agreement amongst those who have left the #Browns (from many departments) about 3 things: Haslam lacks patience; Haslam's word is hard to trust; and Haslam's relies to often on "side juries" to weigh in on the performance of others. None of this is good.

6. Many Ex-#Browns w/ varying opinions of DePodesta agree on 1 thing: If DePo is in the org, best shot of Browns turning around is hiring DePo's coach/GM, & having that trio lock arms on a unified vision. It will help if all 3 are working together to overcome Haslam's impatience

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1212438496880844802

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
7. If #Browns fans got anything out of this thread, please give us a shot on the
@YahooSportsNFL
podcast. Myself &
@TerezPaylor
did a late New Year's Eve taping to chop up the latest on Browns. We try to deliver on the pod and appreciate every subscriber.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-yahoo-sports-nfl-podcast/id1423422627

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1212459808282087426

#gmSTRONG
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
The Vikings had added Gary Kubiak as an assistant head coach at Stefanski’s behest, bringing the former Super Bowl-winning head coach onto their offensive staff. They also hired Kubiak’s son, Klint, and two of his longtime assistants in a series of moves that quickly signaled how significantly Kubiak would shape the team’s latest offensive overhaul.

Rather than forcing the Kubiaks, offensive line coach Rick Dennison and tight ends coach Brian Pariani to adopt the terminology that had become familiar to him, Stefanski told the group he would learn the offensive language they’d used for years together. It was easier, he reasoned, for one person to adjust to four people than the other way around. It didn’t matter that the person laying down his preference was also the one who ultimately would call the shots.

“That tells you who Kevin is. I don’t even know what words to describe it,” Gary Kubiak said. “It tells you why he’s going to get to the top and have a chance to be such a hell of a head coach in this league. Really, it was an unselfishness on his part. He could have come in here and bullhorned us into what we’re doing. He said, ‘No — let’s talk your language. I can catch up.’ I expected that, because of what I knew about him.”

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefans...ense/513047412/

If Stefanski is able to bring Gary Kubiak with him that is a pretty good situation to be in, I would favor that over McDaniels.

R
Legend
Legend
R
You mean Stefanski put the team above himself?

Novel concept.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
True.

What decent head coach would want to work for this horrible ownership?

We will get another inexperienced and inadequate assistant head coach.

You can take that to the bank little fella.

Lighten up man. You are sounding like a troll.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't quite get the "Little fella" remark towards me but hey...who cares.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/01/20 05:11 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
The Vikings had added Gary Kubiak as an assistant head coach at Stefanski’s behest, bringing the former Super Bowl-winning head coach onto their offensive staff. They also hired Kubiak’s son, Klint, and two of his longtime assistants in a series of moves that quickly signaled how significantly Kubiak would shape the team’s latest offensive overhaul.

Rather than forcing the Kubiaks, offensive line coach Rick Dennison and tight ends coach Brian Pariani to adopt the terminology that had become familiar to him, Stefanski told the group he would learn the offensive language they’d used for years together. It was easier, he reasoned, for one person to adjust to four people than the other way around. It didn’t matter that the person laying down his preference was also the one who ultimately would call the shots.

“That tells you who Kevin is. I don’t even know what words to describe it,” Gary Kubiak said. “It tells you why he’s going to get to the top and have a chance to be such a hell of a head coach in this league. Really, it was an unselfishness on his part. He could have come in here and bullhorned us into what we’re doing. He said, ‘No — let’s talk your language. I can catch up.’ I expected that, because of what I knew about him.”

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefans...ense/513047412/

If Stefanski is able to bring Gary Kubiak with him that is a pretty good situation to be in, I would favor that over McDaniels.

If we don't get McCarthy - and I've heard nothing on Jim Harbaugh who is another successful NFL ex-HC I'd strongly look at - then Stefanski probably tops my list next. This is a really nice story that highlights the selflessness of the individual and says a lot.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jim is having his usual college big game day experience currently. Having his arse outcoached and handed back to him. I couldn't stand to see him on the sideline weekly.

On the other hand, if Stefanski was DePos top pick last year he sure hasn't done anything to drop I'd say. Someone could have rose above him but who knows.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/01/20 05:14 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Good video on McDaniels while we're discussing potential HCs....

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I've spent the last couple days reading about Mike McCarthy, Josh McDaniels, and Kevin Stefanski. I think we are in a pretty good spot with any of the three. McCarthy and McDaniels seemed to have learned from their last stints as head coaches. Stefanski has the exact resume you would want a first time coach to have. Based on what I know about the three, which is very little, I'd take McDaniels first, then Stefanski, and then McCarthy but none are a bad choice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Good video on McDaniels while we're discussing potential HCs....

That was good! Thanks! "Let's do this until we cant". Like maybe...run Chubb?

Legend
Legend
I still could live with it. Not sure that Depo is as big as this board would have us believe. Maybe.

I think a solid NFL HC would help. MM can do a lot of good stuff beyond some of the others' reach. Winning may help all of us re-focus. Haven't tried that yet. No worries. Whoever we pick, the trolls and media, virtually indistinguishable too often, will have plenty of negatives to drive their chosen narrative.

I resignedly agree that all these folks may not be wrong, but also maintain that positives may be lost in the process. Too much to see yet for this flood of negativity.

PS No Harbaugh. Lousy looking loss today. Part of it was QB problems. Not the sort of continuity that we need. Going forward is a snappy phrase, widely used.
Any time now.

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 01/01/20 05:33 PM.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Well said, and I agree ... especially if/when they’re paired with the right FO set up

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns coaching rumors

Link Copied to Clipboard