Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
I just want to point out what we have missed without Garrett the last five games:

In only 10 games played this season, Garrett had:

10 sacks
2 Forced Fumbles
29 Tackles, 20 solo
11 Tackles for Loss
18 QB Hits
29 Pressures (good for Top 30, still)

Heading into the last game of the season, he STILL leads the team in Sacks (by almost 2x!), TFL, and QBHits. Only Larry Ogunjobi even comes close to him on those last two and it took him 14 games to be in that position.

(also, a side note on Vernon: in only 9 games, he is in 3rd on the team for QB Hits and has as many TFL as Richardson, who has been phenomenal for us. The takeaway being that without Garrett and Vernon, only Ogun has really been hitting QBs... that leads to completions by backups)

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Good thing we cut/traded away good depth for crappier depth.

#RosterTurnover
#NotEnoughTalent

And that also shows how awesome Myles Garrett is. And to think people wanted Trubisky.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Just averaging out his stats here’s what we’ve missed production wise in the past five games without Myles.
24.5 pressures
5 sacks (likely more since our competition was worse in the games missed, ie the bengals OL.)
14.5 tackles (most of these are short gains.)
5.5 TFL
9 QB hits (see the sacks comment)

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Dumb Dorsey shouldn't have gotten rid of Avery.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Incredible stats make your side note even more telling for me.

Any backups we did not make look great? Just really hard to fathom.

Go, Browns! Carry Freddy.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
People wanted Mitch .... rofl ..

By people u mean me .... you like being cute ... I’m more direct ... *L* ...

And not that FACTS matter to u ... But by draft day

I said we had to take MG cause he was a NO BRAINER ....

Tip of the hat to your boy Sashi ... one of about 3 or 4 things he did right ... thumbsup

Its really funny when u bash KJ after your love affair with the Sashter ... thats as funny as the dudes pimping for Mangini .... *L* .... i so miss the sashiettes ... *L* ....

Good Job Sashi ... on that one anyhow ... thumbsup.

D
Legend
Legend
D
No one want to talk about this purp ....

MG was selfish on that play ... there was no reason for him to be doing anything but playing patty cake with the LT on that play ... game was over .... he wanted STATS ...

IF he gets hurt on that play ... for what? ... it actually ended up worse but that was the mother of all flukes ....

I LOVE MG and he's a great dude ... but that was extremely selfish and it hurt him and our team ... that was the end of our playoff chances right there ...

No menZas im not blaming him for us not making the playoffs ... it was the final nail in the coffin we started assembling in week 1 ...

Lets just hope we have him for week 1 next year ... it will help my side of the debate as I’m sure my optimism will be met with hurricane force head winds after this year ... *L*

PS. We have plenty of talent and i am confident KJ will find even more ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

MG was selfish on that play ... there was no reason for him to be doing anything but playing patty cake with the LT on that play ... game was over .... he wanted STATS ...

IF he gets hurt on that play ... for what? ... it actually ended up worse but that was the mother of all flukes ....

I LOVE MG and he's a great dude ... but that was extremely selfish and it hurt him and our team ... that was the end of our playoff chances right there ...

No menZas im not blaming him for us not making the playoffs ... it was the final nail in the coffin we started assembling in week 1 ...

Lets just hope we have him for week 1 next year ... it will help my side of the debate as I’m sure my optimism will be met with hurricane force head winds after this year ... *L*

PS. We have plenty of talent and i am confident KJ will find even more ... thumbsup

Selfish or not.. I want a guy who is going to play all out til the clock hits 0:00. If I'm a coach, and saw a player playing patty cake at the end of the game.. I'd be livid.

Legend
Legend
What we need are some veteran leaders who have won in the playoffs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I completely disagree.... his sack attempt was legitimate and perfectly fine.
Play until the clock is at 0:00.

The selfish part was the rash and emotional helmet swing. That's it.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I completely disagree.... his sack attempt was legitimate and perfectly fine.
Play until the clock is at 0:00.

The selfish part was the rash and emotional helmet swing. That's it.

+1

Rip the helmet off and toss it into the stands. He’d get fined and be a hero, but swinging helmet was one of the dumbest And dangerous things I’ve ever on a football field.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

The part about Garrett here is 100% spot on.

S
1st String
1st String
S
BUMP

Ian Rapaort tweeting Raiders CB Nevin Lawson suspended 1 game without pay for actions in last weeks game against Denver Broncos. He used his helmet as a weapon.

My take:
Seems fair.....Ridiculous!!!!

.Myles Garrett on line one for the commish.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: savagedawgs
BUMP

Ian Rapaort tweeting Raiders CB Nevin Lawson suspended 1 game without pay for actions in last weeks game against Denver Broncos. He used his helmet as a weapon.

My take:
Seems fair.....Ridiculous!!!!

.Myles Garrett on line one for the commish.

He didn't swing it at a helmetless player.

That said, Rudolph should have been suspended 2 games for allowing another player to take his helmet. In the military, you don't allow someone to take your weapon. You just don't allow that to happen, even when sleeping. You sleep with the thing. Gunpowder is your incense.

I am mostly kidding, but this suspension better not go on much longer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Little doubt they will drag this out and make us wait as long as possible.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
As long as he is back by mandatory camp.. I'm cool. If its anything longer than that, the NFL just playing games.

Legend
Legend
Counseling?
Well, they are turning it into a dog & pony show, aren't they?

Browns is the Browns

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face when talking to Goodell about counseling. Man is that guy the most low lifed self righteous piece of crap. So you completely emasculate a guy because of a mistake? I'd have a hard time not retiring if I were Myles based on principle alone.

Rishuz #1730695 02/11/20 06:21 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I'd have a hard time keeping a straight face when talking to Goodell about counseling. Man is that guy the most low lifed self righteous piece of crap. So you completely emasculate a guy because of a mistake? I'd have a hard time not retiring if I were Myles based on principle alone.

It's the society we live in...I have to admit I would consider retiring as well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
This one time in Banned camp.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Counseling?

They sure are. It's ridiculous. I don't even agree with the ridiculously long suspension in the first place.

Garrett is held back by a linemen. He's attacked by Rudolph. He has one thing in his hand, a helmet.

It's like when you just got into a scuffle with a guy at a bar who has a beer bottle in his hand that he took away from you, and he's being held back, and you charge him. Then you wonder why you got hit in the head with a beer bottle.

If Rudolph's Helmet wasn't in his hands (which Myles had every right to have), Myles would have thrown a punch. He had a helmet in his hands, so he swung a helmet.

Yet, it seems like Myles got the brunt of all blame in all this. Steelers have become enemy Number 1 as far as i'm concerned (they were number two to the Ravens). It's what makes that second game we played against them all the more painful.

Can't wait for this to be over so we can get Myles back. I just hope he doesn't have some stupid label with the refs that he's a dirty player or something, so he starts getting flags everytime he's a half-second late to a freakin sack.

As far as i'm concerned: Pittsburgh started it, Mason Rudolph is a racist, the NFL is ridiculously biased and initiated a coverup. There it is. My take on the situation.

Now Free Myles Garrett!

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/11/20 08:16 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
So maybe MKC can tell us, or someone, why this "punishment" which has been way more severe than I thought was fair, is so mysterious. Says a lot about the NFL, especially Goodell, that we fire up the media circus for leaked info and releases, but the Browns and MG are not clear as to when this ends. Badly handled and milking this furiously seems purposed to something beyond the discipline of Garrett.

Let this man play and get the NFL off his back and out of his way. Not an AB type, after all.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Rishuz #1730720 02/11/20 10:01 AM
Legend
Legend
...emasculate a guy because of a mistake?

If Myles has to attend some counseling appointments to avoid a further suspension, he better be thankful that's all he has to do.

If I'm not mistaken, I remember Myles, not Goodell, ripping the helmet off a QB and then bashing him over the head with it. He brought shame to the guys on the team, the coaches, the city, the franchise and the league.

This is still 100% all on Myles.

This board would be killing the player, team and league if this happened to the Steelers, Ravens or Bengals. Most would be complaining the player wasn't kicked out of the league forever. Since it's our guy, it's a farce that he was even suspended at all. Sorry guys, I just don't see how anyone can defend Myles for his actions.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

If Myles has to attend some counseling appointments to avoid a further suspension, he better be thankful that's all he has to do.

If I'm not mistaken, I remember Myles, not Goodell, ripping the helmet off a QB and then bashing him over the head with it. He brought shame to the guys on the team, the coaches, the city, the franchise and the league.

And yet Nevin Lawson only got a 1 game suspension for doing the same thing in the season finale? That's the part that gets me.

Goodell talking about how completely unacceptable it was and laying the hammer down on Myles, then giving the next guy to do it less than 1/6 of the punishment.

link

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting how NFL punishment varies...

Antonio Smith Suspended by NFL After Richie Incognito Fight

ROB GOLDBERG
AUGUST 19, 2013
Link

Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith should prepare for punishment after an ugly incident in Saturday's preseason game against the Miami Dolphins. According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the NFL is investigating the incident.

During the contest, the nine-year veteran got into a scuffle with opposing offensive lineman Richie Incognito. After the play, Smith ripped off Incognito's helmet and swung it at his face.

UPDATE: Friday, Aug. 23 at 2:15 p.m. ET

From ESPN.com's Tania Ganguli:

---End of update---

UPDATE: Friday, Aug. 23, at 12:15 p.m. ET

From Alex Marvez of Fox Sports 1:

---End of update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 11:08 p.m. ET

From Alex Marvez of Fox Sports 1:

---End of update---

UPDATE: Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 1:05 p.m. ET

The NFL made its ruling on Smith official today, suspending him for the final two preseason games and Week 1 of the regular season:

Smith may attend team meetings prior to the next two preseason games but will not participate in practice or play in the Texans’ games on Sunday, August 25 against the New Orleans Saints and Thursday, August 29 against the Dallas Cowboys. Beginning on Saturday, August 31, Smith is suspended for Week 1 of the regular season and may not take part in any team activities, including the club’s game on Monday, September 9 against the San Diego Chargers. He will be reinstated on Tuesday, September 10.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport had more details about Smith's disciplinary record.

---End of update---

UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 20, at 3:51 p.m. ET

From ESPN's Adam Schefter:

---End of update---

UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 20, at 3:30 p.m. ET

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio provides quotes from Incognito regarding the incident:

“Football’s an intense game, it’s played with a lot of passion, blood runs hot, I’ve been there, I’m no choir boy,” Incognito told reporters. ”People lost their cool, just thank God no one got hurt.”

Incognito was mum regarding the specifics of the incident.

“You know I’m not really going to touch on anything like that, I’m moving past it and just moving on to the Tampa Bay game,” Incognito said regarding whether the helmet hit him in the face.

---End of update---

UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 20, at 1:36 p.m. ET

From ESPN's Adam Schefter (via ESPN's Tania Ganguli):

ESPN.com had more information about Smith's punishment:

He was also expected to be fined for the incident.

Even though the incident took place in a preseason game, the league decided it was appropriate to discipline Smith by forcing him to miss a regular-season game and to forfeit that game check.

Smith declined to talk about the scuffle, telling reporters after the game that he "took a blow to the head. I can't remember."

---End of update---

UPDATE: Tuesday, Aug. 20, at 8:10 a.m. ET

From ESPN's Ed Werder:

---End of update---

---Original Text---

Peter King of Sports Illustrated believes this should result in a suspension:

He is not alone. Miami head coach Joe Philbin is looking for a similar punishment, via Fox Sports:

Miami head coach Joe Philbin has already contacted the league about a possible fine and/or suspension.

The NFL could fine Smith as the helmet cannot be used as a weapon, by rule.

And there is history between the two: last season, Smith was fined $21,000 by the NFL - reduced to $11,000 after an appeal - for kicking Incognito while he was on the ground.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting the NFL is expected to suspend Smith for "up to two preseason games." The report states the NFL will announce the suspension on Tuesday.

Smith is coming off a great year where he totaled a career-high seven sacks for the Texans. He has played in every game in four seasons since coming over from the Arizona Cardinals in 2009.

Altogether, the former fifth-round pick out of Oklahoma State has totaled 36.5 sacks in his career.

Smith had this to say about Incognito in 2012, via Nick Mathews of the Houston Chronicle:

A dirty player being let to play dirty...Richie Incognito. Everything that’s illegal that can be done on the football field he does it, but mainly he was hitting people after the play, sliding down on your leg grabbing your ankle and trying to twist to break your ankle and he was doing it right in front of the referees and he was still in the game.

According to Dan Hanzus of NFL.com, Incognito said last year that his deviant ways are a thing of the past:

It's a label that has been with me since I was a younger player, when I quite frankly did play dirty and I would go after guys. ... So I think back then the tag was deserved. I have evolved, and I think that label still sticks. Once you're labeled with it, it's very hard to shake.

Smith clearly isn't buying it, and we'll learn soon enough if it will cost him any games.

Follow Rob Goldberg on Twitter for the latest breaking news and analysis.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
R
Legend
Legend
R

This board would be killing the player, team and league if this happened to the Steelers, Ravens or Bengals. Most would be complaining the player wasn't kicked out of the league forever. Since it's our guy, it's a farce that he was even suspended at all. Sorry guys, I just don't see how anyone can defend Myles for his actions.

Myles is a meathead who cares about Myles. He does not care about the team. He deserved punishment.

The punishment did not fit the crime.

Both of those are true.

The rest of your post is melodramatic.

Rishuz #1730730 02/11/20 10:55 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Myles is a meathead who cares about Myles. He does not care about the team.

I could not disagree more.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

I don't think we can really say either way. I don't think it's anywhere near far-fetched as some of the other theories floated on here. I also don't really care if he is all about Myles.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
And yet Nevin Lawson only got a 1 game suspension for doing the same thing in the season finale? That's the part that gets me.

Goodell talking about how completely unacceptable it was and laying the hammer down on Myles, then giving the next guy to do it less than 1/6 of the punishment.

link

Where’s the video of the incident? Did he hit anyone? Was it on national tv for all to see? What was the context of him swinging the helmet?

I can’t find anything.

Plus, he’s not under contract for 2020 and it’s probably the end of his career.

[Linked Image]

Rishuz #1730738 02/11/20 11:49 AM
Legend
Legend
The rest of your post is melodramatic.

Fair enough, but it doesn’t mean I’m wrong. thumbsup

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was it on national tv for all to see?

I am not downplaying what Garrett did, but whether or not the incident happened on national TV should have no bearing on the punishment. Being a locally-televised blacked-out game does not make the situation any less dangerous.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Was it on national tv for all to see?

I am not downplaying what Garrett did, but whether or not the incident happened on national TV should have no bearing on the punishment. Being a locally-televised blacked-out game does not make the situation any less dangerous.

Key word here is 'should', which brings us right back to bulldawg's and others' post.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

I'm an actions speaks louder than words guy.

He may be quiet. He may like dinosaurs. He may text his Twitter followers to meet up for a puppy play date. None of that matters. His actions put himself before the team.

Rishuz #1730766 02/11/20 12:59 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I will add that I have no confidence that Myles will ever put the team above himself.

Rishuz #1730767 02/11/20 12:59 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
Rishuz #1730768 02/11/20 01:00 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I'll add that I have no confidence that Myles will put the team above himself in the future.

Legend
Legend
Counseling?

Yeah, but this is a perfect person to make an example of. He's a high character kinda guy. That says, we (the NFL) don't care who the guy is, troublemaker or good guy, if they do wrong (and he did) we'll going to treat them all the same.

I hate it, but I understand it

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garrett Part 3

Link Copied to Clipboard