Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: dawg66
If we grab a OT in free agency I want Jack Conklin from Tennessee, put him at RT and move Hubbard to RG.

Chris Hubbard is not going to be on the team next year.
fingerscrossed

He's one of the worst players in the league in the position and we can save $4.9 million in cap space. . .

heck, we’d all chip in even if we DID owe him that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Think Cincitucky would consider an OBJ package with picks and players?

I don't know if they would, but I wouldn't. I'd look NFC...

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Think Cincitucky would consider an OBJ package with picks and players?

I don't know if they would, but I wouldn't. I'd look NFC...
I wonder if Amari Cooper doesn’t re-sign in Dallas, or Arizona looks for a WR for Murray, or SF wants a true #1

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think there is a good chance something like that happens. It will just depend on the new coach and his feelings.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

10 early prospects to consider for the Browns No. 10 overall pick

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/...0-overall-pick/
It’s too early to know exactly who the Cleveland Browns will target with the No. 10 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. The team doesn’t even have a head coach or GM at this point. But it’s possible to narrow down the field of prospects for that valuable first-round pick.

Here are 10 prospects who the Browns figure to have strong interest in for that No. 10 overall pick. Some will wind up being taken well before the 10 spot, of course, but that doesn’t preclude them from being someone the Browns should strongly consider.

Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn
I don’t expect the beefy Brown to last all the way to No. 10, but he’s an ideal fit to reinforce the Cleveland defensive line. For my money he’s the best DT prospect since Ndamukong Suh, a wrecking ball with both a high motor and very high football IQ to go with his considerable physical gifts.

K’Lavon Chiasson, EDGE, LSU
Don’t let the underwhelming stats (6.5 sacks) dissuade you; Chiasson offers outstanding potential as a stand-up pass rusher. He missed almost all of 2018 with an ACL and worked the rust off in his return in 2019. Chiasson is a twitchy bundle of unrefined energy and passion.

Grant Delpit, S, LSU
The preseason top-5 overall hype faded with an injury, but Delpit remains a high-end safety prospect with instant impact ability. He’s big, instinctive and has experience being the alpha male in a very talented secondary that has included Browns starting CB Greedy Williams.

A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
Browns fans who missed Emmanuel Ogbah but wanted a more consistent and versatile presence from him will gravitate toward Epenesa. A big, physical end who wins with power-to-speed, Epenesa is a natural to line up opposite Myles Garrett.

Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
It’s hard to fathom the Browns using their first pick on a wideout when Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr. are already on board, but Jeudy is too gifted to simply ignore here. His combination of pure speed, strong hands and polished routes makes Jeudy a very high-end WR prospect.

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
Probably the biggest stretch on this list, but Kinlaw is capable of taking over games against high-level competition. His first step is lightning quick and he follows it with strength and aggressive tenacity. Browns fans might be reminded of Michael Dean Perry if they watch Kinlaw against Georgia or North Carolina.

Isaiah Simmons, S/LB, Clemson
Simmons is an athletic marvel at 6-4 and 230 pounds, capable of playing slot corner one drive and MIKE backer the next. He’s at his best as a playmaking safety, a role the Browns desperately need.

Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
It would almost certainly require a trade up to land Thomas, but stranger things have happened in the draft. An elite tackle prospect with outstanding length and power, Thomas is an instant starter for the Browns — or just about any NFL team.

Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
Playing right tackle at Alabama, Wills was known for his run-blocking domination. His pass protection technique and awareness improved enough in 2019 that he’s now a viable candidate to shift to the left side if a team chooses. Like Thomas, he’s in need of some technical ironing out, but the potential is multiple Pro Bowls at a position of dire need in Cleveland.

Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
Wirfs plays right tackle for the Hawkeyes but has the movement skills and technical adeptness to handle speed to play on either side in the NFL. He might not dominate with wins like some other OTs here, but it’s very rare to see Wirfs lose on a rep in pass protection.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
I know we need a tackle. Isaiah Simmons is a beast and I would love to have him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can easily pair best player at your spot with either Tackle / Middle linebacker or Safety ! Four picks in three round's .. Get'er done !

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Can easily pair best player at your spot with either Tackle / Middle linebacker or Safety ! Four picks in three round's .. Get'er done !

I have a feeling that we will end up with more picks if Andrew Berry is back and/or Josh McDaniels is hired.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Could be that we go back on idle again. That was so much fun before.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Right , trading back always worked well for us.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Right , trading back always worked well for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

P
Legend
Legend
P
That was my point.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just me, I would eliminate the skill position players.

I like the OT,s Delpit, and Brown.

I really like Brown, but no way he lasts to 10. If he is there, I take him. He is a game changer. Think Reggie White game changer.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
exactly, I wouldn't take a skill player before the 5th. DT/OT/LB/S biggest holes

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Jerry Judy, WR Alabama. We trade OBJ.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

So trade a guy that we know is good for a guy that might be good and then use the pick that we get from the guy who we know is good for a different player that might be good?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

So trade a guy that we know is good for a guy that might be good and then use the pick that we get from the guy who we know is good for a different player that might be good?

I am not an OBJ fan. He ruins team chemistry. We should get a pretty good draft haul for OBJ.

C
Legend
Legend
C

I am not an OBJ fan. He ruins team chemistry. We should get a pretty good draft haul for OBJ.

Having a coaching staff that is actively working against team success ruins team chemistry. OBJ played through injury and incompetence and had a decent season, trading him shouldn't even be a conversation.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree, but don't take a receiver. We need OL and D. The Titans won last night by running the ball 36 times and passing 25 times. We have the backs to do that.

Pound the rock and play solid D.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Trade down.

Always a possibility that could happen if we get a few players in FA that fill some current holes on the line.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Best LT in the draft

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Just me, I would eliminate the skill position players.

I like the OT,s Delpit, and Brown.

I really like Brown, but no way he lasts to 10. If he is there, I take him. He is a game changer. Think Reggie White game changer.

We need a TE or two Peen. One blocking and one receiving.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Best LT in the draft
agreed

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Best LT in the draft
agreed

100%

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Tua declared for the draft. That is good for us.

Legend
Legend
Very good for us w/Tua ... a team will draft him before 9, whether trade or not

C
Legend
Legend
C
Very good for us w/Tua ... a team will draft him before 9, whether trade or not

Good for the Lions, who are picking third, they should be able to get a nice haul in a trade up scenario.

(I don't see Washington trading out of the Chase Young slot.)

M
Legend
Legend
M

I have a feeling that we will end up with more picks if Andrew Berry is back and/or Josh McDaniels is hired.

It could start w/ Kareem Hunt.

** ducks **

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

It could start w/ Kareem Hunt.

** ducks **

I'm keeping Kareem Hunt. He's cheap for one more year, he is good, and he allows our offense to be very versatile.

I was talking more about trading down.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Best LT in the draft
agreed

100%

AND dropping some cash on a legit (if old) starting LT.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I don't see how we can go wrong with a LT named Thomas.

It seems preordained, even.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Getting rid of Hunt would certainly be the perfect way to "Brown things up".

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well, we just fired a coach that refused to use the talent he had, so if we're going to get a coach that WILL use the talent, our only option left is to get rid of the talent they might use.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Kevin Zeiter agrees.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Well, we just fired a coach that refused to use the talent he had, so if we're going to get a coach that WILL use the talent, our only option left is to get rid of the talent they might use.

So I wonder what people will say if the next HC doesn't see Higgins and Njoku as "talent" that wasn't used? Maybe the fans have them rated better that they really are? It's been happening here for decades.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Jake Fromm headed to the NFL...

P
Legend
Legend
P
He spelled Farm wrong.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

So I wonder what people will say if the next HC doesn't see Higgins and Njoku as "talent" that wasn't used? Maybe the fans have them rated better that they really are? It's been happening here for decades.

Except that we've seen their talent and ability on display.
If there are issues, it won't be from a talent perspective, but from a personality, attitude, or work ethic perspective.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I'm a Georgia guy... I don't have any confidence that Fromm will have any major success in the NFL.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Link has some videos that didn't transfer over

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...ilm-review.html

NFL Draft 2020: Breaking down the top tackles who could help the Cleveland Browns at pick No. 10 -- Film Review

Updated 12:36 PM;Today 4:48 AM
Andrew Thomas
AP

Georgia offensive lineman Andrew Thomas (71) blocks Auburn defensive end Nick Coe (91) in a game last November. Thomas is considered to be the best available college tackle prior to the combine and individual workouts leading to the spring's NFL Draft.

By Ellis L. Williams, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- While we wait to learn the Browns’ next head coach, fans can find solace in the plethora of blue-chip tackle prospects sitting atop the 2020 NFL Draft.

Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, Iowa’s Thomas Wirfs and Alabama’s Jedrick Willis headline a loaded class of tackles. Because the position is rich in talent this year and several teams at the top of the draft order need offensive line aid, there could be as many as five selected in the first round, and three could go before the Browns pick at No. 10.

The Dolphins (No. 4), Chargers (No. 5) and Cardinals (No. 8) all need offensive line help and could grab the top tackles. However, Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa declaring for the draft on Monday should bode well for Cleveland. Miami and Los Angeles both have question marks at the game’s most important position, which makes passing on Tagovailoa unlikely.

Chances are the Browns will have several top-rated tackles to choose from come their first-round selection. That’s a good thing, because Cleveland must resolve both the left and right sides of the offensive line to aid Baker Mayfield.

Pro Football Focus ranked the Browns’ offensive line 23rd, citing tackles Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard as liabilities. The line ranked 11th overall in run blocking, according to Football Outsiders, but was 17th-best in pass protection. The Browns allowed 41 sacks (tied for 16th most) and struggled against premier AFC North pass rushers.

Let’s kick off “Tackle Week” by taking a closer look at four tackles in the 2020 draft that the Browns should consider at No. 10

Andrew Thomas, 6-5, 320 pounds, Georgia, junior

Before we dive into Thomas’ physical attributes, understand what his longevity on Georgia’s offensive line produced. As a true freshman in 2017, he started at right tackle and earned Freshman All-American honors. In 2018 he moved to left tackle and remained there through his junior season, earning consecutive All-America and All-SEC awards.

This year, Georgia ranked within the top five in fewest sacks allowed. Running back D’Andre Swift ran for 1,200-plus yards, averaging 6 yards per carry. With Thomas anchoring the left side, Swift generated per-touch averages comparable to both Wisconsin’s Jonathan Taylor and Buckeyes back J.K. Dobbins.

Thomas looks the part in every way. At 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds, he has the size coaches covet. Athletically, he thrives as a run blocker. He explodes off the ball and moves defenders back with explosive starts and imposing size. As a pass blocker, he tends to be aggressive and attack first, but is susceptible to quicker edge rushers.

Pro Football Focus rated Thomas as an 82.2 overall pass blocker and 91.2 in the run game.

Let’s take a look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Thomas a top-10 pick.

Here, Thomas shows the football IQ, attention to detail and lateral quickness needed to play tackle in the NFL. Facing a third-and-6, Thomas (71) engages Notre Dame’s right end, but the Irish have a stunt called, meaning the end and inside tackle swap gaps. Thomas maintains his assignment, picks up the twist and helps Georgia pick up a first down.

Against Arkansas, Thomas shows his dominance as a run blocker on the Bulldogs’ first touchdown. With Georgia needing 3 yards, Thomas moves the left side of the line and creates a void large enough for two running backs to slide through.

Through sheer power, he meets his running back in the end zone and finishes his block to the end.

Tristan Wirfs, 6-5, 322 pounds, Iowa, junior

Unlike Thomas, Wirfs doesn’t project as a “plug-and-play” option at left tackle in the NFL -- largely because at Iowa, he played right tackle.

In today’s NFL, the importance of having your most talented lineman play left tackle has diminished. Playoff-caliber defenses tend to deploy more than just one pass rusher, so protecting both ends is equally important. For example, the Raiders made right tackle Trent Brown the highest-paid lineman in football last season.

If Thomas is off the board -- which he very well could be considering Washington (No. 2) and the Giants (No. 4) both need tackles, in addition to the Chargers, Dolphins and Cardinals -- Wirfs’ sweet spot could be right around the 10th pick.

Wirfs is a Midwestern kid, born and raised. He is from Iowa, played there, and would likely resonate with Northeast Ohio. His game merits a top-10 selection, proven by his Big Ten offensive lineman of the year award this season. If that isn’t enough, consider he holds the Hawkeye program record for hang cleans (four reps of 450 pounds).

ESPN College Football
&#10004;
@ESPNCFB
Just a light 450 for Tristan Wirfs &#128517; (via @HawkeyeFootball)
Embedded video

What makes Wirfs such an intriguing prospect is his athleticism and the potential his genetic gifts offer. In high school, Wirfs was the first Iowa athlete to win both shot put and discus titles in consecutive years. He was also the first to win three straight discus titles.

Also a state champion wrestler, he has a vertical jump of 35 inches, and that mark would be the second-highest jump by an offensive lineman at the NFL Scouting Combine in the past seven years. Pro Football Focus rated Wirfs as a 83.5 overall pass blocker and 82.4 as a run blocker.

Let’s look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Wirfs a top-15 pick.

In this first clip, Wirfs’ mean streak is on full display. Playing in the trenches comes down to attitude and willpower. Wirfs consistently shows that drive and fire to finish blocks and move piles. Above, Iowa faces a second-and-short. Wirfs (74) moves his defender completely off the ball at the snap. He carries him downfield and creates impressive movement that will translate at the next level.

Unfortunately for Iowa, its left side of the line gets beat and this run goes for a loss despite Wirfs popping off the screen.

Here Wirfs displays what his natural gifts provide in pass protection. Despite being pushed back at the initial point of attack, Wirfs regains his footing and holds his ground against a Wisconsin bull-rushing end. Once he re-engages, Wirfs stands firm and finishes a punishing pancake block by fully extending his arms and driving through his hips.

Jedrick Wills, 6-5, 320 pounds, Alabama, junior

Wills may not have been the best tackle on his team, as left tackle Alex Leatherwood features characteristics of a franchise-changing prospect, but that doesn’t mean Wills won’t go on to have a successful NFL career.

With Leatherwood announcing his return to Tuscaloosa last week, Wills is the top Crimson Tide offensive lineman available. Alabama finished third in sacks allowed, and running back Najee Harris ranked in the top 25 for rushing yards behind Wills at right tackle.

Like Wirfs, Wills’ future as a left tackle is unclear, but he improved upon his 2018 season by dominating the right side of Alabama’s line. He bulldozed defenders with his overpowering size and strength. According to Pro Football Focus, Wills grades as a 90.5 overall run blocker and is a 75 grade in pass protection.

Over two seasons on the right side, Wills earned second-team All-America honors from the Associated Press, Sporting News and Walter Camp, on top of All-SEC honors. His ability to create leverage using angles in the run game helped Wills clean up offseason awards and clear holes for Harris.

In a time when it is commonplace for potential high draft picks to skip their bowl games, Wills helped the Crimson Tide beat Michigan 35-16 in the Citrus Bowl. He told SI.com there was no doubt he would play.

“I feel like no matter what I was going to play,” Wills said. “If I had the opportunity to leave or if I didn’t. If I was a, like, first-round draft pick or if I was a fifth-round draft pick. No matter where I was standing or if I had the opportunity to leave I would still play just because, you know, just to be there for my brothers. Play for the last time in the Alabama uniform.”

Let’s look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Wills a top-15 pick.

Wilks (74) shows signs that he’s the best pass-blocking prospect available. Against South Carolina, he serves as a wall on the Tide’s right side that no Gamecock could penetrate. His combination of lower body strength, strong punching and understanding of technique are on display below.

Though he played right tackle, Tagovailoa is a lefty, so Wills protected his blind side. Often coach Nick Saban trusted Wills on an island versus the SEC’s top pass rushers. Wills probably is the most NFL-ready prospect available in terms of pass protection.

Austin Jackson, 6-6, 310 pounds, USC, junior

Jackson has not declared for the draft yet. Players have until Jan. 20 to do so. His case is puzzling. His slightly leaner build suggests he’s not a finished product. Last offseason, he donated bone marrow to his sister, which kept him out of USC’s summer strength and conditioning programs.

For the same reason, he also was limited in training camp. But that didn’t stop Jackson from earning first-team All-Pac 12 honors. Still, his physical attributes will likely make a front office look past his limited 2018 offseason. Perhaps plugging Jackson into an NFL strength and conditioning plan could be what unlocks his potential.

What stands out about Jackson is his length. His arms are long and he features NBA-caliber height. Take a smooth, fluid approach that combined the flexibility and agility typically reserved for smaller players, and it’s easy to see why Jackson should have a long NFL career.

In the Holiday Bowl, which USC lost 49-24, Jackson struggled against Iowa edge rusher A.J. Epenesa. Jackson picked a poor time to disappoint, but again, his physical traits could be enough for a GM to overlook a lousy bowl game against a premier pass rusher in Epenesa.

Let’s look at a few plays that highlight what will likely make Jackson a top-15 pick.

Quickness is one of Jackson’s brightest attributes. He can handle twitchy pass rushers by keeping his feet, moving his hands and reacting to a spin or other evasive moves thrown at him. Against Utah, Jackson (73) is at left tackle and facing a one-on-one with a defensive end.

At the snap, the Utah defender tries putting Jackson through a spin cycle, but he shows great discipline by not overpunching. Instead, he keeps his target in front of him. After the spin move, Jackson is there waiting and puts the clamps on. This is an impressive sequence on a third-and-4 at midfield against a creative pass rusher.

Jackson struggled against Iowa, but here he got the better of Epenesa (who is also a projected first-round pick) by using his quick hands. Epenesa lines up at defensive end at the top of the screen, tries shooting his hands fast. But Jackson’s quick reflexes shoot his gloves down, and momentum drives Epensa into the turf.

What’s next?

When “Tackle Week” continues on Friday, we’ll take a look at other tackles who could garner consideration for the No. 10 pick, along with other possible tackles the Browns should consider on Day 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft With the 10th pick in the draft the Browns select...

Link Copied to Clipboard