Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Saleh impresses me a lot. He made a huge career change to follow his passion for football, and started at the bottom of the ladder. I would think any lockerroom would respect him. He seems to have above average "smarts" to handle an HC job. I have no idea what his offensive philosophy is, but being a defensive guy, I imagine he knows what kind of offense would be most effective with our players.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds like Pettine.

That said, I favor defensive minded coaches. A little less finesse and more punch them in the mouth, but that is just my personality..

Both can work.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Just make em draw straws. Hire the winner and if he doesn't win 10 games the first year, fire him and bring in the runner up. Keep going like this till one of them sticks.. Oh Wait.. its pretty much what we been doing smile

Last edited by AlwaysABrownsFan; 01/06/20 03:56 PM.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Buffalo fans blame him for offensive woes, would love to have us take him off their hands

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Swish #1717514 01/06/20 04:41 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Swish
imma be so pissed if we end up with brian daboll.

He might be the best choice, least I like both Mcdaniels and Daboll more than McCarthy or Sefanski,

2nd thought. Day ends in a Y, so Browns fan would be pissed, I'd be scared if you said you'd be pleased.

Sadly, I think, because of how the Haslems brought in
guys from the past that had me scratching my head,
Sashi, -to (others I forget, Depo, Schurmur, and Chud...

Guy which seems to me most fits that mold as a head scratcher clearly in over his head with almost no chance to succeed, is Stefanski, so,

Either, way, I think the Browns need about double the coaches, just to work together, just to have a chance
= all the help they can get.
McDaniels, and Daboll may be the two I have the most belief in to get a chance to get a long time, and stick around, and actually build a brand, and cohesion- the other continuity word, and maybe get the ship righted:

... this could have been the start of Pettine and Farmers 8th year together \0/

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Well .... whoever they hire. I sure hope that Hasbum will give them the time to get their program going.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Serious question: does Daboll have other HC interviews, beside us?

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I heard that the Giants are interviewing McDaniels on Wednesday and the Browns on Friday.. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that.. Anyone hear anything ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
I heard that the Giants are interviewing McDaniels on Wednesday and the Browns on Friday.. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm that.. Anyone hear anything ?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thank you... I'm going to have to get twitter

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I thought we interviewed McDaniels today. Or, did I miss something?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: vadawgfan07
I thought we interviewed McDaniels today. Or, did I miss something?

Daboll today.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

This should generate some interesting posts.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Get McDaniels in here now.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

This should generate some interesting posts.

Just wait for the interesting posts when McDaniels or Stefanski is hired.

Actually, things will get really interesting if somebody other than one of those two gets the job.

Legend
Legend
J/c

Hearing thru some different avenues that Jim Caldwell is an intriguing option ...

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Surprised he didn't get another chance sooner. He and Baker seem like they would get along very well. lol.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
j/c...

Surprised he didn't get another chance sooner. He and Baker seem like they would get along very well. lol.
I'm surprised nobody is talking about this. Jim Schwartz is an old school DC with HC experience. His OC would be important.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c...

I'm surprised nobody is talking about this. Jim Schwartz is an old school DC with HC experience. His OC would be important.

Wasn't a fan of his lions teams

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Mentioned Schwartz awhile ago. Always liked his Defenses in Philly. On Bellicheck's staff in the past. I know his Lions teams were not the best. Wonder who he would bring in as OC.

Got a feeling Panthers going to be real players for Joshy.

C
Legend
Legend
C
j/c...

Jim Schwartz is definitely worth an interview, especially while we are waiting until Friday to interview Josh McDaniels. The Eagles and Schwartz are cutting edge in a lot ways, it's not a bad thing to pick their/his mind.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
j/c...

Who was his GM?? naughtydevil

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
j/c...

Who was his GM?? naughtydevil

The double M guy?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Odds are Daboll will be our next HC...

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1717694 01/07/20 08:15 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: eotab

Blech!

And another Blech for Schwartz.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I think there are a lot of other previous HCs that deserve another shot before Schwartz does.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
eotab #1717700 01/07/20 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

How did you arrive at this?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Schwartz is a tough guy and his teams play with an edge. We could do worse IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Those saying McD needs to interview here before the giants and we need to be worried, I disagree.

1. Josh still has family in the area. Its a very real possibility he wanted to interview on Friday so he could stay the weekend and see his family.

2. You actually are in a better position to be the last interviewer. If your first, they have the excuse to say "I appreciate the time, but I have a few other teams lined up I would like to speak with". We are last on his list, we can bring him in on Friday - and not let him leave. Which is what I think happens.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think there are a lot of other previous HCs that deserve another shot before Schwartz does.

I hear Pat Schurmur is free...

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/07/20 09:22 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
No Mike McCarthy for Cleveland Browns; now who is the most likely candidate?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/01...-candidate.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio — I’ve been hearing things such as, “How did the Cleveland Browns let Mike McCarthy out of the building last week?”

As Browns Owner Jimmy Haslam was explaining the team’s approach to the coach/front office situation to the media Thursday, McCarthy was at the team’s complex to talk about the head coaching job.

Right after that press conference, I talked to an NFL executive who said, “McCarthy takes that job only if he has nothing else.”

Here’s why:

1. I don’t know if the Browns offered the former Green Bay Packers coach the job. He was the Browns’ first coaching interview. I believe McCarthy viewed the Browns simply as a fallback position.

2. McCarthy had already interviewed twice with Carolina. The New York Giants also wanted to talk to him.

3. While Jason Garrett had not yet been fired in Dallas, it appeared that would happen. McCarthy had to be aware of that.

4. McCarthy was head coach of the Packers for 13 years. How would the Browns look to him? They are on their fifth coaching search in seven years under Haslam.

5. Finally, when McCarthy talked to Dallas, Owner Jerry Jones could simply say his team has talent and he stuck with Garrett for 10 very up-and-down seasons with no Super Bowl appearance. That had to appeal to McCarthy.

THE REALITY OF BEREA

The Browns will find a head coach. There are only 32 of those jobs in the NFL. This season, only five positions came open. Washington quickly hired Ron Rivera (my first choice). McCarthy went to Dallas.

The Browns now are competing with Carolina and the Giants for a coach.

Rivera coached Carolina for 8 1/2 seasons before he was fired in December. The Panthers have a new owner in David Tepper. He’s a hedge fund guy and is on his first coaching search. It’s hard to know what he’ll do, but the Panthers don’t have the quick-trigger history of the Browns.

That matters.

Coaches don’t want to take jobs where they know the only prevailing philosophy of the franchise has been change/impatience.

Name a recent Browns GM or coach and each will tell you he thought he had three to four years build the Browns. Just about every one told me that. None lasted that long.

The word on the NFL coaching street is Cleveland is a great football town but a tough place to work because of the ownership’s history of quick firings.

FACING THE GIANTS

Pat Shurmur lasted two years as coach of the Giants, just as he was the Browns’ head coach for two seasons (2011-12).

One of the Giants’ top candidates is Matt Rhule, the current Baylor coach. He reportedly turned down a chance to talk to the Browns. But he will talk to the Giants, whose 12-36 record in the last three years is the worst in the NFL. Yes, even worse than the Browns (13-35-1).

In terms of talent, is coaching the Giants a better job than Cleveland? I doubt it. New York is a bigger market. That matters.

But a bigger point is Tom Coughlin was the Giants’ coach from 2004 to 2015. There is a sense the Giants are more stable, even though they are looking for their fourth coach since 2016.

The Giants supposedly are interested in New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, believed to be one of the Browns’ top candidates. Carolina also wants to talk to McDaniels.

WHAT ABOUT THE BROWNS?

Several of the candidates the Browns are interviewing would jump at the job: Brian Daboll, Eric Bieniemy, Robert Saleh and Greg Roman.

Of that group, I believe only Bieniemy has interviewed elsewhere.

Kevin Stefanski also would belong on the list, although Carolina is supposed to be interested in the Minnesota offensive coordinator. Stefanski was the runner-up to Freddie Kitchens for the Browns job last year.

I don’t know what to make of McDaniels. Some sources have told me that he’s very interested in returning to his native Northeast Ohio. Others said he would only take the Browns job if there were no other options. It does seem McDaniels is going to take a head coaching job somewhere.

McDaniels had an 11-17 record (2009-10) as a head coach before being fired during his second season in Denver. He started his career at 6-0 and was 5-17 after that.

WHAT ABOUT JASON GARRETT?

Jason Garrett would be worth talking to, although I wonder if the University School product should take a year off after working 10 years in football-crazed Dallas.

As of now, it seems whomever the Browns hire (unless it’s Garrett), it will be someone either new to the head coaching job or McDaniels, who struggled in Denver.

The Browns still can get it right. Career assistants sometimes become good head coaches. But the Browns’ history of quick firings is hurting their search right now.

My best and wildly premature guess is Stefanski has the best chance to end up with the job because the Browns know him from a year ago.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Reaping what they've sewn

L
Legend
Legend
L
Its pretty easy to see at this point we probably won't ever win while the haslams are either alive or own the team. Slim chance they catch lightning in a bottle

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
I did not know Garrett was a Cleveland native.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Its pretty easy to see at this point we probably won't ever win while the haslams are either alive or own the team. Slim chance they catch lightning in a bottle

From reading your posts during the game day forums, while the games are being played; I never remember one where(edit:/ those posts suggested) you thought anything except the worst,

Take advice from "Monty Python", "Always look on the Bright side of life"...

The good part about not having a coach yet, is the Browns don't have the wrong coach yet!

So there's that! thumbsup

Last edited by THROW LONG; 01/07/20 10:36 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I did not know Garrett was a Cleveland native.

I don't believe he was born in Cleveland but did spend time in elementary and high school school here.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Josh McDaniels wise to leave Broncos off list of interview references
As McDaniels interviews around the league, Broncos fans will never forget what he did in Denver.

By Jess Place@Jezru Jan 6, 2020, 4:00am MST

Before the carousel of dud quarterbacks, before the Super Bowl appearances, before Peyton Manning, and before Tebow’s magical run, there was Josh McDaniels. Believe it or not, it’s been close to 10 years since Josh McDaniels was fired from the Denver Broncos.

Vance Joseph, Gary Kubiak, and John Fox have all come and gone since McDaniels was unceremoniously relieved of head coaching duties, but make no mistake which former coach many fans still regard as the worst in recent team history.

On Monday, the Cleveland Browns will meet with Denver’s notorious former coach to interview him for their current opening. Undoubtedly, questions will likely come up regarding his disastrous time in Denver. Here’s a look back at the destruction he left behind.

DISMANTLING
When Mike Shanahan was fired following the 2008 season, many Broncos fans felt that Denver had a roster that, under new leadership, could thrive into the future. Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Peyton Hillis, Tony Scheffler, and punter Brett Kern comprised a young core that appeared poised to take the Broncos competently into the future.

While there is some dissent on just who was the biggest petulant child during the Cutler-McDaniels fight, fans can agree that it was a nasty harbinger of things to come. It wasn’t just Cutler that McDaniels couldn’t get along with, he single-handedly drove, traded, cut, or alienated that young core and, while he was at it, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan for being his unlikable incompetent self.

So who did Josh bring in to replace these fan favorites?

Who can forget the arrival of Kyle Orton in the Cutler trade? How about New England castoffs like Laurence Maroney, Jabar Gaffney, Le Kevin Smith, and Lonie Paxton?

Lonie Paxton? For whatever reason, McDaniels released long time long snapper Mike Leach in favor of former Patriot Lonie Paxton to the tune of a 5 year for $5.53 million contract. To put this breathtakingly stupid move in perspective, the Broncos current long snapper Casey Kreiter’s base salary in 2019 was just $800,000. Remember, this was Paxton’s contract BEFORE the current 2011 collective bargaining agreement. To put it into perspective, the salary cap was $60 million less then than it is today.

It’s important to note that Brett Kern, the punter that McDaniels ran off in favor of Mitch Berger (who flamed out after just one season), just helped punt the Patriots out of the playoffs on Saturday with the Titans. Yes, he’s still punting, going to the 2019 Pro Bowl, and was named a 2019 1st Team All-Pro. Remarkable.

Also worth mentioning is that Josh couldn’t draft Rob Gronkowski in 2010, so he brought Gronk’s brother Dan to Denver instead. Granted, he was able to unload his historically bad 2nd round draft dud Alphonso Smith to Detroit to get him, but still.

CHEATING
What’s lost in the current Patriots videotaping scandal is the fact that it’s actually the third such time it has happened involving a Josh McDaniels team. While the 2019 Patriots’ attempts to squirm out of the cheating charges may or may not be successful, make no mistake, Josh McDaniels’ Denver Broncos were found guilty of cheating... with the SAME guy that cheated for the Patriots during the very first Spygate scandal in 2007. From MHR at the time:

The Denver Broncos and Josh McDaniels have each been fined $50,000 for taping the 49ers’ pre-game walk through before the game at Wembley Stadium earlier in November, per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network.

La Canfora also reports that Steve Scarnecchia, who was on a leave of absence, was fired from the team, and will be under further investigation from the NFL and a ban from the league is not out of the question.

Scarnecchia was the man behind the camera for Spygate I, making him a repeat offender to the league. The league also indicated that if any more evidence comes to light, there will be further discipline from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

RENEGING ON THE COLTS
When Josh McDaniels agreed to coach the Colts in the 2019 season, I wont’t blame Colts fans for trying to talk themselves into thinking it was a good idea. He couldn’t be that bad, could he? Broncos fans are just being hyperbolic, right? From our sister Colts site, Stampede Blue:

Yet when Josh McDaniels’ time spent in Denver as the head coach is discussed, we tend to drop all the weight of blame directly on him with all the nuance of an argument about politics on Twitter. McDaniels certainly failed. That fact is not up for debate. Any Broncos fan will tell you, some very heatedly about all the areas he went wrong.

The argument I would like to make is that his failure was not as spectacular as it is made out to be. I would also argue that the Broncos share equal, or perhaps even greater responsibility for that failure than McDaniels himself.

Then a week later:

Dianna
✔
@diannaESPN
Spoke with several members of what was supposed to be McDaniels’ Indy coaching staff. They have not heard from Josh McDaniels regarding the change of heart. Just as blindsided as the rest of us. #Colts

9:51 PM - Feb 6, 2018 · Manhattan, NY
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,031 people are talking about this
...and then:

Zak Keefer
✔
@zkeefer
Word from #Colts source: "We'll survive."

Here's the team's full statement. They make it clear that contract terms were agreed to.

View image on Twitter
8:35 PM - Feb 6, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
121 people are talking about this
If you have enjoyed reading this long-winded indictment of the cheating scoundrel that is Josh McDaniels, then you will love this Stampede Blue article entitled, “Colts Dodge Bullet: McDaniels Lacks Integrity, Belongs in New England,” wherein they painstakingly document every Patriots and McDaniels scandal and misstep over the last 20 years.

This is not the kind of man fans in Indianapolis want representing their team or their city. It is best that the team moves on to find someone else who will lead with the kind of ethical compass and integrity that reflects the fabric of the city of Indianapolis and is compatible with the blue blood that runs through the entire Colts fan base.

So the Cleveland Browns are getting ready to interview this man for their open head coach position on Monday. If that’s not the most Cleveland Browns thing ever, I don’t know what is. All I can say is, Josh McDaniels knows better to ask Broncos Country for a reference... because this article and the one from Stampede Blue is as positive as ones for him will ever be. Good luck, Joshy.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/1/6/...view-references

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC search

Link Copied to Clipboard