Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Ok, so...what is protocol on announcing a hire IF said coach is still coaching (let's say it is Saleh..when can they announce? Does it have to wait until SF lose or after the Super Bowl if they make it)?

They cannot make it official until their team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

I assume thing would leak however at certain point, however.

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
I thought McDaniels would be a slam dunk pick.Why do you think he appears to be out of the picture?

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I don't know if he is still in the picture or out of the picture at this point.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Everyone is assuming McDaniels is out of the mix, and I think that might be a mistake.

The media portrayed him as wanting full control. Nobody has heard him say that.
The media said he'd only work with the so named NE guys. Nobody has heard him say that. It's very possible they ran names by him and he may have threw out a few more and now they're hawking them down.
As far as Stafanski goes, they're not asking him while he's in the locker room or on the plane home! They'd wait until he got home and settled.
Concerning Saleh. He isn't coming in much above what FK did. But, if he can coach as mean as he looks I like him!
If we dont hear anything tomorrow his chances are good. Dark horse I think though.

I said earlier Im not for giving full control to anyone. I'm not sure anyone has asked for it demanded it.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 01/11/20 09:30 PM.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Can he bring his players with him?

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Can only take his top 5 favorites.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Saleh has about 4 first rounders playing on the front. Id be leary...

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Wait until the Browns throw everyone for a loop and name Greg Roman the HC. The forgotten man also still coaching in the playoffs.

If so hope the announcement comes in just a couple hours laugh

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Frankly...AS far as I am concerned...until they announce it...None of them are out of the running...everything else is wild speculation.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: PETE314
Frankly...AS far as I am concerned...until they announce it...None of them are out of the running...everything else is wild speculation.

Captain Obvious, party of 2, your table is now ready.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: PETE314

Captain Obvious, party of 2, your table is now ready.

My drive on Monday gets so very much better if the Ravens loose. I likely don't get much done at work, other than enjoying the crying and gnashing of teeth...

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
This whole thing is just a head scratcher.

IF its Stefanski then Kubiak needs to come with, and no way that will happen. I live in central MN, Stefanski is not all that. He's rather vanilla, and that is a product of Zimmer. Zimmer is the boss, the organizer, the disciplinarian. He is the one that holds it all together. The vikes were a mess off the field prior to his arrival. He's really cleaned it up. I don't see how any of this translates to Stefanski He really is Kitchens 2.0 (but that implies improvement so I call him Kitchens 0.2) Most viking fans are more concerned about keeping some continuity with the staff, and most really don't think he is ready for the bump to head coach.

Dabol, Saleh, Roman, Bienemy.... all coordianators without any headcoaching experience. I was under the impression that we were looking for more experience.

McCarthy was someone I wasn't really excited about. Seemed like the game passed him by. Maybe he reinvented himself, but i am fine letting the Boys figure that one out.

Swartz is a curious one, didn't have alot to work with in Detroit. His D seems to play hard.

McDaniels- as a young headcoach was a trainwreck. Left Indi hanging. But I've read some things on him, how he has really made an effort to learn from his mistakes. People around him say he is a different guy. His offense adapts to what he has, and attacks weaknesses. Of course he had Brady. He has been under the master, if anything rubbed off, that is a plus. 6 superbowl rings.

I hope the Browns have made a decision by now. I really would hate to think they've talked to all of these guys and are sitting there without a clue on who to go with. For my money, it McDaniels (and i pray its not Stefanski out of everyone else on the list). Hopefully, its a done deal and the Browns are sitting on the announcement. It would be the classy thing to contact the other candidates personally before announcing the hire. If that's the case, we won't know anything until after KC's game tomorrow.

B
Legend
Legend
B
[quote=Steubenvillian]One thing is for sure, they definitely are trying to bring these guys in as a team. I think that is huge. That being said, any of them could fail, so I'm sticking to whoever it is, I'll wait until I see the produc

No, no, no. You can't do that. You have to form a opinion now, like most of the other know-it-all's. You can't wait to make a informed opinion.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I have to say that I kinda like what I hear about Saleh.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
Saleh has about 4 first rounders playing on the front. Id be leary...

I don't think they'd be hiring Saleh because of his defense. I think they like him because of his leadership qualities.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
If Haslam hires anyone but McDaniels I may be close to a breaking point. Picking anyone but him automatically means going with a less qualified candidate, this is a crap show of epic proportions.

1. What if they went through the interview process and McDaniels just wasn't the best candidate and then Jimmy overruled everyone (again) and picked McDaniels?
2. What if McDaniels turns down the job?

(Lists are fun!)

He has a FIST full of SB rings. Name a more qualified candidate that they have interviewed that is still available? You want to make a case for a better fit with a GM then we better hire a GM first. But as far as qualifications go, of the coaches they have currently interviewed(other than McCarthy) McDaniels is the most qualified.

I'd like to see them interview more qualified guys. I'd like to see them try to get a guy that has won as a HC. But they seem determined to hire another coordinator and that makes McDaniels the most qualified candidate. He has more rings than all the others combined.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
If Haslam hires anyone but McDaniels I may be close to a breaking point. Picking anyone but him automatically means going with a less qualified candidate, this is a crap show of epic proportions.

1. What if they went through the interview process and McDaniels just wasn't the best candidate and then Jimmy overruled everyone (again) and picked McDaniels?

(Lists are fun!)

He has a FIST full of SB rings. Name a more qualified candidate that they have interviewed that is still available? You want to make a case for a better fit with a GM then we better hire a GM first. But as far as qualifications go, of the coaches they have currently interviewed(other than McCarthy) McDaniels is the most qualified.

I'd like to see them interview more qualified guys. I'd like to see them try to get a guy that has won as a HC. But they seem determined to hire another coordinator and that makes McDaniels the most qualified candidate. He has more rings than all the others combined.

Dabol won 5 Super Bowl Rings with the Patriots and College Football Championship Ring with Alabama as their OC.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jimmy is going to pick that bald headed DC Robert Salad Dressing to be the head coach.

Mike Pettine 2.0

This organization is a joke!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Jimmy is going to pick that bald headed DC Robert Salad Dressing to be the head coach.

Mike Pettine 2.0

This organization is a joke!

Nice avatar. Good to see you've been a lifelong Titans fan. rolleyesdevil

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Starting now yes, until this expansion team fields a real NFL team.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

(Lists are fun!)

Dabol won 5 Super Bowl Rings with the Patriots and College Football Championship Ring with Alabama as their OC.

Good..maybe hire him for OC not HC

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
A real leader would be swell for a change. I have some reservations about McDaniels. I would look hard at Saleh.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Well since none of the kids have said it yet about this long drawn out trip in search of a head coach and GM

ARE WE THERE YET?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
A real leader would be swell for a change. I have some reservations about McDaniels. I would look hard at Saleh.

How much evidence is there that Saleh is that leader? Never heard of him until a couple of weeks ago.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I don't think they'd be hiring Saleh because of his defense. I think they like him because of his leadership qualities.

You know in this sense, McDaniels is going to come off second best (or worse). We've seen McDaniels "leadership" when he wasn't cocooned in BB's world - an it stunk. Twice - he was a poor leader in Denver and his experience with the Colts demonstrated what Leaders would NOT do. . . . just like being a HC, I am not suggesting that McDaniels can't become a better leader or a better HC . . . but it isn't natural. It doesn't ooze from every pore. It's unlikely he'll be the guy that guys will bleed for and rally around come what may ....

I hadn't really thought about the leadership angle. It's a very good point.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/12/20 11:00 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Huh? That's the whole point of the coaching search.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Honestly from the very beginning of the search I believe that is the number one quality they are looking for.

The players have mentioned needing a leader and Jimmy mentions finding a leader..In the threads locked on the HC search many posts mention the HC being able to be a leader.

The word leader has been mentioned many of times. Hopefully the one who they hire has the best ability to be the leader of this young team.

Follow my lead on this..they are looking for a leader smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888

You know in this sense, McDaniels is going to come off second best (or worse). We've seen McDaniels "leadership" when he wasn't cocooned in BB's world - an it stunk. Twice - he was a poor leader in Denver and his experience with the Colts demonstrated what Leaders would NOT do. . . . just like being a HC, I am not suggesting that McDaniels can't become a better leader or a better HC . . . but it isn't natural. It doesn't ooze from every pore. It's unlikely he'll be the guy that guys will bleed for and rally around come what may ....

Did Shanahan ooze leadership while he was here?

I think Saleh complements him well and together they work.

Still it's Shanahan steering the boat. Saleh is just shouting the cadence for the rowers.

That's very useful, but not necessarily indicative of ability to steer.

I'm not saying he can't do it. One thing just doesn't necessarily correlate with the other as we've seen with our past coaching selections.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
ARE WE THERE YET?

Still no white smoke from the chimney

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
[quote=Steubenvillian]One thing is for sure, they definitely are trying to bring these guys in as a team. I think that is huge. That being said, any of them could fail, so I'm sticking to whoever it is, I'll wait until I see the produc

No, no, no. You can't do that. You have to form a opinion now, like most of the other know-it-all's. You can't wait to make a informed opinion.

I think they are moving to the GM process now to see who buys in with the structure they are setting up. Say they want McDaniels and his GM choices don't agree, I think they will move on. Looks like they are talking to each coaches choice and see who is on board. I like the process.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Huh? That's the whole point of the coaching search.

In one sense. sure. But there are lots of different leadership 'styles'. And being a great coach does not mean you are a great leader.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I haven't met ANY of the individuals being interviewed. I can only go by reports and what others say about the individuals and the way the individuals have behaved when in the spot light before.

Everything I have read about Saleh indicates that those around him respond to him and acknowledge him as being a 'leader of men'. What I saw of McDaniels in Denver and how he acted with the Colts says he is a wheenie. He can and probably has changed. How much idk.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Haslam heads an organization that does not value leadership as much as it should because he himself is a weak leader. He bows before the Altar of Consensus, which can often be the antithesis of leadership, because it deflects accountabilty by spreading potential blame around the room. At least until some poor, under-qualified schlub his committee hired fails, and they all agree to fire him. Then he seeks "alignment" once again with a new bunch of under-qualified schlubs.

IMO, true leadership doesn't seek consensus; true leadership forges consensus.

So he and his committee of statisticians, capologists/CPAs, wife, and son-in-law are on a new path of seeking consensus, while apparently ignoring (or not inviting) input from two bright football minds still in the organization - Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Hightower. They will agree to hire a new HC who convinces them that he is in total alignment with their so-called vision. Maybe this time it will work, but I wouldn't hold my breath. As the saying goes, "A camel is what you end up with when a committee designs a horse.".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saleh has been a coach who's name has been talked about for several years ( one to watch ). It was widely reported that he hit the intervue out of the park. He and Shanny are close and work close together .. He is purported to be a big fan of the Shanny O .. All mention his leadership. Great cast of players on D help make him look good. Plays a little to much zone more my taste... And he has been my number two pick since the start .. Would love to give this young man a chance if we can keep can keep Haslam out of the Country for a few years.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I know after watching that dynamic, explosive, juggernaut of an offense that Stefanski brought to the field yesterday, that the Stefanski train seems to have derailed rather quickly.

Oh what a fickle group. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure where the media got the "naming the coach this weekend" story from. They claimed from Berea as I read.
Not sure how that could be true when at least 2 of 4 the candidates had the chance of moving on. I'd tend to think if its quiet today then Saleh has a good shot at it. At this point my interest is waning. With this FO I'm not sure if I can distinguish due diligence from undecicisveness.

There's alot of work to be done by whoever gets it and time is flying by

B
Legend
Legend
B
Time isn't a problem. This may last until after the Super Bowl.

It is what it is. Remember, the team said they wanted to wrap it up by this weekend. That doesn't mean it will be announced. As said, it could be after the Super Bowl.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that nearly another 3 weeks plus probably a week to settle in hurts us.
I'd like to have a guy on the job while the NFL has it 2 weeks of boring SB sideshow.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually didn't mention a time line. We're already the last one to arrive at the ball. Which I don't feel makes us "fashionably late".

So at this point what difference does it make?

I just find it funny how so many were pimping Stefanski only yesterday and all I hear about him now are crickets. The Vikings offense yesterday looked like Freddie was calling the plays.

That's what often times can happen when people get enamored with the flavor of the month. It's also a prime example of why I don't fall for things like that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC Search Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard