Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I'm a Georgia guy... I don't have any confidence that Fromm will have any major success in the NFL.

I saw someone call him a better version of Cody Kessler. Oof.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think he is better than that, but he isn't elite by any means.

I'd say he gets picked mid 2nd round, but you never know. Maybe late 1st.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Except that we've seen their talent and ability on display.
If there are issues, it won't be from a talent perspective, but from a personality, attitude, or work ethic perspective.

Yet even this season I know of at least one game where Higgins had more than 20 plays and Baker only threw to him one time. No matter how great people wish to make Higgins out to be on here, even in his best season he had less than 600 yards receiving and four TD's.

Talent? Sure. Overrated by Browns fans? I certainly think so.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
As for Higgins, he is a decent player. He can contribute, but not carry.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Higgins is a useful player, who we should have kept involved in the offense. People talk about Dorsey making a mistake with Zeittler, but Dorsey trading Fells, and Freddie sitting/ignoring Higgins are probably even bigger mistakes.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe we wait and see how the next HC values Higgins. People somehow think a players trajectory is always positive and they think that no matter the changes on your roster their role should remain the same. That's certainly not always the case. Heck, the next HC may not even want him on the roster next year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just how many high paid PROFESSIONAL coach's ( not counting the next one ) have the Browns had that got the roster right ..lol

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My top choice is Andrew Thomas OT Georgia
I cannot see any scenario that he falls to #10
I would consider trading up for him it he starts to fall a few spots.
I can see him going as high as #3 overall.

My second choice would be Derrick Brown DL Auburn
We get more stout against the run and he can rush the passer as well
I pair him with Larry O and move Richardson to DE

My 3rd choice is Isaiah Simmons LB/S Clemson
We need to improve at both the LB and safety position
We need someone who can cover a TE
Against Baltimore I put home on Marc Andrews 100% of the time
Let's see what Lamar can do when Andrews is covered

If all 3 are gone, I look to trade dow targeting one of the following players:
Mekhi Becton OT Louisville
Creed Humphrey C/OG Oklahoma
Tyler Biadasz C/OG Wisconson
AJ Epenesa Edge Iowa
Javon Kinlaw DT S Carolina

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Jester
My top choice is Andrew Thomas OT Georgia
I cannot see any scenario that he falls to #10
I would consider trading up for him it he starts to fall a few spots.
I can see him going as high as #3 overall.

My second choice would be Derrick Brown DL Auburn
We get more stout against the run and he can rush the passer as well
I pair him with Larry O and move Richardson to DE

My 3rd choice is Isaiah Simmons LB/S Clemson
We need to improve at both the LB and safety position
We need someone who can cover a TE
Against Baltimore I put home on Marc Andrews 100% of the time
Let's see what Lamar can do when Andrews is covered

If all 3 are gone, I look to trade dow targeting one of the following players:
Mekhi Becton OT Louisville
Creed Humphrey C/OG Oklahoma
Tyler Biadasz C/OG Wisconson
AJ Epenesa Edge Iowa
Javon Kinlaw DT S Carolina

I would be ecstatic any of the first 3 (Andrew Thomas OT, Derrick Brown DL, and Isaiah Simmons LB/S) you mentioned and I also like Tristen Wirfs OT, Grant Delpit S, Tyler Biadasz C/OG, AJ Epenesa Edge, and Javon Kinlaw DT thumbsup

Last edited by PastorMarc; 01/11/20 08:53 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Draft the best LT available, then sign RT Conklin from Ten.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can get on board with that.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Draft the best LT available, then sign RT Conklin from Ten.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Then sign G Joe Thuney from NE if they he can play RG, he has played LG in his first 4 years in the league.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Then sign G Joe Thuney from NE if they he can play RG, he has played LG in his first 4 years in the league.

Between Forbes and Teller I think we're okay at RG. Got to fix the tackles and the FA pickings are slim.

Wilks might have some insight on DJ Humphries who is one of the few who might be worth looking at.

Looks mainly like aging, injury prone guys or guys who are on the same level as what we've had.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
How tough would it be for Robinson to slide over to RT?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
How tough would it be for Robinson to slide over to RT?

We won't have to know.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hahahaha. Fair enough.

I'm just thinking it'll be too tough to address both starting tackle spots in 1 offseason. Getting someone better than Robinson in at LT is needed, and getting someone better than Hubbard at RT is needed, and filling the RG spot with SOMEONE is needed... I just don't think 3 people need to lose their jobs (or more specifically, we need to bring in 3 new people that are actually going to succeed) in order for us to accomplish the task of significantly improving the Oline.

Put another way, I kinda see it like the old WR arguments we used to have. So-and-so would be pressed into that nebulous #1 WR role and would struggle, but as soon as someone else would come in and move them into the #2 or #3 role, they would play much better. I see the same thing with the Oline, in terms of LT -> RT -> RG.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Robinson is going to be an unrestricted free agent.

I bet Wyatt Teller and Drew Forbes get a shot at right guard.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Robinson is going to be an unrestricted free agent.

I bet Wyatt Teller and Drew Forbes get a shot at right guard.

and Robinson isn't good enough to give him a new contract just to experiment with him at RT.

Unless he's willing to come back as a backup at veteran minimum, and again on a one year tryout deal, he has no place here.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I see what you and cfrs (and others probably) are saying. I guess it took a while for it to click that he's an UFA. He won't agree to a lesser contract to come back and compete for the RT spot. Someone will pick him up, I bet.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Someone will pick [Greg Robinson] up, I bet.

We are the third team Robinson has failed with, he might be toast unless he is willing to take a big pay cut and a reduced role.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
He bullied the heck out of him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been reading up on Austin Jackson USC LT.. I'm intrigued.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Saahdiq Charles, LSU's OT just declared, so there's another quality tackle in the mix.

Fiercely Independent.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
I've been reading up on Austin Jackson USC LT.. I'm intrigued.

I like him as well, reminds me of Winston Justice (who was a fine college tackle for USC as well) But he moves well...be interesting to see more of him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Looks intriguing, but he looks like he has about 100 pounds on every guy in that video.
I'd like to see something of how he did against larger DE's.
He showcases one technique here: the "Shove them to the ground with brute force" move.

Probably not a 10th overall pick.... grab in later on as a dewvelopmental guy, perhaps.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 01/16/20 02:04 PM.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Dane Brugler's offensive tackle rankings from mid-December:

Offensive tackles
1. *Jedrick Wills Jr., Alabama (6-5, 322, 5.28)
While most have Wirfs or Thomas as OT1, Wills is the best tackle prospect I have evaluated in this class. He is explosive through his hips with the wide, lower body movements to mirror in pass protection and the upper body power to steamroll defenders in the run game. While he needs some fine-tuning, Wills has all the talent and upside to be a top-five pick in this draft.

2. *Tristan Wirfs, Iowa (6-5, 320, 5.08)
3. *Andrew Thomas, Georgia (6-5, 318, 5.11)
4. *Austin Jackson, USC (6-6, 308, 5.08)
5. Josh Jones, Houston (6-5, 309, 5.31)
6. *Isaiah Wilson, Georgia (6-7, 339, 5.42)
7. *Mekhi Becton, Louisville (6-7, 365, 5.47)
8. *Alex Leatherwood, Alabama (6-5, 320, 5.30)
9. Trey Adams, Washington (6-8, 304, 5.27)
10. *Samuel Cosmi, Texas (6-7, 302, 5.10)

P
Legend
Legend
P
That move alone certainly won't work against the speedy edge rushers across the NFL. With his size, I would certainly have to see a lot of tape showing his agility to support him as the pick at #10.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Dane Brugler's Mock Darft 2.0 from 1/14/20:

10. Cleveland Browns — Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Part of the reason for Baker Mayfield’s sophomore struggles stemmed from his lack of confidence in the Browns’ protection, specifically outside at offensive tackle. Thomas needs to eliminate some bad habits and stay off the ground, but he has shock absorbers for hands and gets the job done with his lower body, projecting as a starter early in his career.

41. Cleveland Browns — Ashtyn Davis, FS, Cal

C
Legend
Legend
C
We picked a good draft to need a tackle.

Legend
Legend
an OT named Thomas at #10 would make me quite happy.

He, or Wirfs, I think, are solid choices.
I wouldn't hate the idea of a trade up for Chase Young, though, either.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
2020 NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS 3.0

BY: JOE MARINOJANUARY 16TH, 2020

Photo: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
I’ve had a fun week of evaluating prospects and want to talk about some of those players I studied. This week’s 6-Pack is again focused on discussing players I recently evaluated in a different format.

I hope that this column has become a staple for you each week, but just in case you are new, 6-Pack Thursday is my weekly brain dump on six football-related things that involve the NFL, college football or NFL draft.

Let's crack this thing open.

JEDRICK WILLS, OT, ALABAMA
Jedrick Wills is a joy to watch on tape. His performances against Auburn and LSU were arguably the best two games of film I’ve watched for any offensive linemen in the 2019 or 2020 class. Wills displayed plenty of flashes in 2018 and his power was easy to fall in love with last season, but he put together the technical side of things this year. I believe he’s the best offensive linemen in the class.

Wills is so smooth. His ability to frame rushers on the perimeter, stay square and stymie rushers is second to none. Rushers literally come to a halt with the roadblocks Wills sets up by reaching his set points and taking away rush angles. He is outstanding in space and is truly a fit for all schemes.

Don’t get hung up that he played exclusively on the right side in Alabama. First, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is left-handed so he was the blindside protector. Secondly, Wills progress at right tackle makes me want to leave him there, but there’s nothing about his skill set that suggests he couldn’t play left tackle if that’s where his NFL team needed him to play. He’s OT1.

DAMON ARNETTE, CB, OHIO STATE
Like most, I was lukewarm on Damon Arnette entering 2019 but he had a terrific season and now I view him as a top-five cornerback in this year’s class. No, his shaky moments in 2017 and 2018 shouldn’t be forgotten but I love to see upward growth from prospects who ascend throughout their career and play their best football as a senior. That’s Arnette.

The first game I watched from him was versus Michigan State and let me just tell you I’m certain Spartans wide receiver No. 7 is still having nightmares about how to beat Arnette’s jams in press coverage. He is dominant both in soft press or when tasked with truly creating jams at the release. Arnette is suffocating with his ability to crowd routes and disrupt timing. He’s patient and fluid in his pedal and you can just tell he has a natural ability to mirror routes.

For a defense look for a press corner that also thrives in zone, Arnette should be an early starter. He’d be a dream top half of the second pick.

NEVILLE GALLIMORE, DT, OKLAHOMA
I love urgent defensive football players and that’s exactly what you get from Neville Gallimore. It wasn’t always the case when studying him last seasons but Gallimore flipped the switch in 2019 and put some incredible hustle plays on tape. Gallimore is one of those players that “brings the juice.”

While Gallimore does attack the line of scrimmage with reckless abandon, he generally stays under control and shows strong penetration skills. His hands are powerful and he really developed counters to help him clear contact. His ability to rush the passer from the interior is really exciting and something that is of great value in the NFL.

I don’t love Gallimore against the run. He has some inconsistency anchoring at the point and not getting washed against drive blocks. He’s one of those guys that brings the fight and a lot of power when in attack mode but if he has to fight for his gap there is something to be desired. But the things Gallimore does well can help an NFL defense get pressure in the face of the quarterback and that trumps some concerns about his ability to defend the run.

A.J. EPENESA, EDGE, IOWA
The Bill Belichick disciples are going to love A.J. Epenesa. He’s long, heavy-handed and has all the power in the world to defend the run and compromise the width of the pocket as a pass rusher.

Epenesa stacked consecutive seasons of dominant tape in 2018 and 2019 but I really appreciate his technical growth this season. His pass rush arsenal and hand technique took a major step forward. He became more consistent with the timing and placement of his hands while taking full advantage of his length to play with extension and control blocks. Epenesa’s bull rush and push-pull moves are devastating. He simply puts a lot of stress on offensive tackles to anchor because of his blend of length, size and power.

You won’t come away from Epenesa falling for his burst or flexibility, but that’s not why he wins. While he eats up ground with his stride length and moves well, he wins because of power, length and technique. I think he’s such a clean evaluation and prospect to figure out. Epenesa has inside/outside rush ability in even fronts and there’s no doubt he can also play five-technique all at a high level.

J.K. DOBBINS, RB, OHIO STATE
Good luck trying to poke holes in J.K. Dobbins’ game — he’s such a complete running back. Dobbins is another prospect that improved throughout his career and dominated in his final year racking up 2,250 yards from scrimmage with 23 touchdowns.

I love Dobbins’ vision, decision-making, pace, physicality and burst. That blend of traits enables him to effectively pound the rock between the tackles while also working off-tackle. He’s very natural and that becomes apparent by how he addresses late-flashing defenders. Dobbins is incredibly savvy in how quickly he responds to those situations and the comfort he shows adjusting his course.

Dobbins has outstanding contact balance and he battles for every inch he can gain. For a back listed at 5-foot-10, 217 pounds, Dobbins has more twitch and wiggle than expected. He’s good in pass protection and is a reliable receiver although I think he has room to grow as a route runner. Dobbins is the total package and will most likely be my RB1.

MEKHI BECTON, OT, LOUISVILLE
Mekhi Becton is one of those prospects that I wound up watching way more film than necessary to figure him out because he’s just so damn fun. He is 6-foot-7, 370 pounds and takes up two full yards when in a two-point stance. Becton plays with a nasty demeanor and has mobility I never expected to find.

The power components of his game are easy to spot. His punches are devastating and he drives men against their will with ease in the run game. If you need a vertical push, just run the ball behind Becton and prosper. He ragdolled college defensive ends and widened gaps to the point that an 18-wheeler can fit through them sideways. But what’s fascinating is how much lateral mobility Becton has. His reach and movement skills make him an outstanding zone blocker in addition to his obvious ability to move bodies in power concepts.

In pass protection, I love Becton’s upside. He is a smooth operator that functions with body control and balance that you’d never expect for a man of his stature. He has no issues redirecting, sliding his feet and keeping pace up the arc. And of course, his ridiculous length and functional strength increase his overall margin for error if his technique fails him.

The 2020 offensive tackle class is loaded. But don’t assume anything about Becton because of his listed measurements. He has a high ceiling with more versatility than expected.

I do think it is fair to mention his struggles with maintaining his weight in the past and how he performed prior to 2019. But the coaching staff under Scott Satterfield got the best out of Becton and his arrow is pointing up.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/6-pack-thursday--let-s-talk-2020-nfl-draft-prospects-3.0

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

Dorsey was thinking ahead!

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Becton remind me a lot of that OL we had years ago nicknamed 'Big Cakes'.

Lots of mobility with that kind of size is amazing, and the thought of the Ravens ending up with him at LT and being able to run power behind that is kinda unnerving, but I'm not certain I want to drop a high 1st rounder on him, yet. He needs to show a lot, lot more.

I expect there to be a run on OT's, though, and I figure he'll go before our 2nd round pick.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Higgins is a useful player, who we should have kept involved in the offense. People talk about Dorsey making a mistake with Zeittler, but Dorsey trading Fells, and Freddie sitting/ignoring Higgins are probably even bigger mistakes.

No arguments here. Higgins is a decent player who runs good routes and catches the ball. Solid possession guy. We should have used him more.

I think we have Njoku way over rated. I agree, Fells is way better than him. I liked what I saw of Carlson. I think he has a chance to be a plus player.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

There are quite a few good ones, and getting deeper. A LSU tackle just announced yesterday. I hope that depth doesn't tempt us to wait until round 2. This is one year where need and BPA are going to closely align. Don't screw it up. The only non OT I would take at 10 is Derrick Brown, DT Auburn. That guy is a game wrecker. No worries though, I can't see any possibility he falls to 10 barring some unknown facts.

I would love to see OBJ moved. Maybe draft safety Delpit with the OBJ pick. But, Stefanski might love the idea of OBJ being on his offensive squad.

Speaking of OBJ, we heard about a season long injury that will probably require surgery. What's he going to do, wait to have it late enough he misses camp?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
J/c

I think Stefanski views our personnel very similar to Minnesota’s. Competent QB, two good WRs, stud RBs ... just need to upgrade the OT positions

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

There are quite a few good ones, and getting deeper. A LSU tackle just announced yesterday. I hope that depth doesn't tempt us to wait until round 2. This is one year where need and BPA are going to closely align. Don't screw it up. The only non OT I would take at 10 is Derrick Brown, DT Auburn. That guy is a game wrecker. No worries though, I can't see any possibility he falls to 10 barring some unknown facts.

I would love to see OBJ moved. Maybe draft safety Delpit with the OBJ pick. But, Stefanski might love the idea of OBJ being on his offensive squad.

Speaking of OBJ, we heard about a season long injury that will probably require surgery. What's he going to do, wait to have it late enough he misses camp?

I liked the idea of Delpit better than I like the actual player on the field.

I'd rather hold onto OBJ, go OL with our first 2 picks, and take someone like Kyle Dugger at safety later. I do want to see more of Dugger at the Senior Bowl as his level of competition left something to be desired.

Fiercely Independent.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft With the 10th pick in the draft the Browns select...

Link Copied to Clipboard