M
Legend
Legend
M

D
Legend
Legend
D
thumbsup thumbsup ... at the answer that he will not be required to submit his game plan. He's doing a good job so far with the presser.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

He is saying all the right things, that's a plus. I like hes open to having someone call the plays.

However, other than whooptyhell, buddy boy, and we have to watch the tape, hes not saying anything different than any other HC that has stood there.

#theseasonstartsinseptember

Legend
Legend
Kevin seems like a nice guy.

Too bad this has happened to him.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Kevin seems like a nice guy.

Too bad this has happened to him.
rofl

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Best answer, yet.
It's honest & concise... and well reasoned.

Add in several of the other answers where he talks about imagining how to attack defenses with the players we have and I am actually feeling a tinge of optimism. It's probably just gas or indigestion, but it could be optimism.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not in LaJolla.....

#I'mTriggered

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
Legend
Just listened to the presser,, I just don't know.. Maybe it's just that I'm so bored hearing pretty much the same thing from each new HC. Not sure what he could have said to make me think he's the one.

Oh well

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I'm SO anxious to hear what questions Mary Kay contributed.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Yea .. I liked the "Silly Season" response to the game plan approval crap. Just amazing what the media starts for click bait.. And half the people on this board fell for it..

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
jc

can somebody explain to me why a constant narrative i see is that Kubiak was the driving force on offense this year and not stefanski?

is that true or out of context?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

Best one liner of the press conference

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm inclined to believe that he thinks people who don't wear brown and orange still matter, because he didn't say anything to that effect. Take away line was "... personality is welcomed; production is required.".

M
Legend
Legend
M
Well I don't know if I've listened to other initial HC pressers.

He struck me as:

Intelligent. Maybe the most inteligent and articulate guy in 20 years.

Authentic. He used this word to describe his leadership style and it came through.

Results driven. He talked about working hard and systems and all that .... but he always tied it back to results & production. He focused and mentioned accountability quite a bit and that was something others who know him have indicated.

Engaging. He was more charismatic with his intro than I imagined. I was expecting more of a Pat Shurmur-murmer type.

I found the presser to be remarkably free from 'fluff' - there were some questions he sort of danced around carefully in order not to insult Freddie or the past.

I'm more encouraged than I thought I would be. I also liked that he was up there alone.

I'm going to add that he gave every indication that he is indeed a leader ... proof is in the pudding. But you can't (or shouldn't) put a man down for sounding good when that's the only opportunity he's been given so far.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/14/20 02:51 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
I'm SO anxious to hear what questions Mary Kay contributed.
Actually give her credit, she asked the tough one to him about what makes him different than the other coaches that stood there before them saying they were going to be successful.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
jc

can somebody explain to me why a constant narrative i see is that Kubiak was the driving force on offense this year and not stefanski?

From what I have read, was they when he was interim coach he only called 3 games. They then brought in Kubiak to advise him and work with him on Kubiaks offense. Meaning they worked on new plays and calls etc., but its based on Kubiaks scheme.

This is just what I have read.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Or proof they're gonna finally stick to something they start. At some point you'd think they'd get tired of paying out good money to ex employees.

Follow the evidence trail. That's not it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
jc

From what I have read, was they when he was interim coach he only called 3 games. They then brought in Kubiak to advise him and work with him on Kubiaks offense. Meaning they worked on new plays and calls etc., but its based on Kubiaks scheme.

There was a point in the interview when they asked and he talked about coming in this season and being "THE" OC.... you could see he was excited or pleased at the memory and he nearly called it his offense, then he very, very deliberately talked about how it was a collaboration with is team and avoided taking any credit. . . . he did something similar when talking about the Browns offense, be basically said when it's done and in place you can call it "The Browns Offense".

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Intelligent. Maybe the most inteligent and articulate guy in 20 years.
As far as his background and education, yes. Hue was very articulate though, I always gave him that. He was great speaking to people and in the press. His problem was he seemed to rather do that than coach. smile

Quote:
Authentic. He used this word to describe his leadership style and it came through.
I agree. He seemed authentic. But other than Hue (who I think was the most unauthentic person we ever seen), most of the coaches have been. Lets give Freddie credit for that. Freddie was authentic as they come, problem with that for him was - that's his downfall. Just depends on you if this is a plus or a downfall.

Quote:
Results driven. He talked about working hard and systems and all that .... but he always tied it back to results & production. He focused and mentioned accountability quote a bit and that was something others who know him have indicated
I really like this about his presser. I don't like guys that played favorites....I.E Callaway playing over Higs, etc.

Quote:
Engaging. He was more charismatic with his intro than I imagined. I was expecting more of a Pat Shurmur-murmer type.
I was surprised at this, he is soft spoken - but I was under the impression he was more dull that just soft spoken. he didn't seem dull to me, he gave good back and forth.

To be fair, unless your Adam Gase, its hard to fail the opening presser. I wanna see him when the guys are on the field. Like he said, production is the only thing that matters.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
jc

There was a point in the interview when they asked and he talked about coming in this season and being "THE" OC.... you could see he was excited or pleased at the memory and he nearly called it his offense, then he very, very deliberately talked about how it was a collaboration with is team and avoided taking any credit. . . . he did something similar when talking about the Browns offense, be basically said when it's done and in place you can call it "The Browns Offense".
I didn't watch, only listened, so I couldn't see any facial clues you eluded too.

I like the fact he seems open (so far) to working with others on the offense and even play calling. We have seen in the past Hue and Freddie recently, when guys are not up to do that and it hasn't worked out so well for us.

Legend
Legend

Kevin has been here for 48 hours.

What can he say?

First impression. Seems like a good man. Good looking guy. Speaks well, articulate. Knows how to handle himself in front of a group.

Not much else can be said. He knows a little about the team. His life has changed. He is one of 32 head coaches in the NFL.

From today going forward he will be a very busy person. Lot's on his plate.

Between today and the season opener things will be a blur for him. Assemble a staff. Get with new GM. Assess the roster. Prepare for free agency. Then the draft.

Once a new roster is formulated build them into units.

Build playbooks. Etc. Etc.

Next thing you know camp opens and then it is the first game.

Every year new coaches. New schemes. New players. Everybody learning all new things.

I have no expectations. All that went out the window last year.

I hope the product on the field looks and plays better.

I hope they play disciplined football.

I hope they look like a real team.

P
Legend
Legend
P

He hasn't been reading this message board has he?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
He comes off well. Smart, centered, polished, thoughtful, etc. It’s just if he gets respect and demands accountability. That’s it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

His interview was impressive. Yet so have so many we've heard over the years. I hired and fired a lot of people over the course of my life. I've seen great interviews that turned out to be horrible employees. And interviews I didn't see as stellar that turned out to be great employees. But any way you look at it, the interview and the way a person communicates with others is very important.

As of this moment we have no ideas how he will be as a HC. On a personal level I'm concerned over his lack of experience as an OC or as a HC in any capacity. We should all know just how eerily familiar that sounds. That doesn't mean it will be a failure, but in hiring, experience is at least as important, if not more important than the actual interview process.

What would be most impressive to help sway my feelings about this would be who he can bring in as his staff. If he can bring in experience like Wade Phillips and an experienced OC, that would help things. An inexperienced HC would certainly be well served having an experienced staff to help face the hurdles of the unknown he's about to deal with.

The GM will also be one of, if not the most critical part of the hiring process. So we are far from finished and a lot is yet to be written about how this staff will unfold.

If it ends up being a bunch of people being promoted to their respective positions I will be much more concerned. If he can draw in experienced people and build an experienced staff I will be much more impressed. It would tell me that people who know the game and have the experience of knowing what it takes to win believe in this guy.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Will he be a Vikinks magnet for players, coaches, or management types? Seems to form decent impressions on people.

Welcome aboard. Good luck, coach! Win us some games!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I suppose we'll have to quit referring to him as BM and now he's TK (the kid).

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Well spoken.

Time will tell.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Will he be a Vikinks magnet for players, coaches, or management types?

I hope he's a Browns magnet for players, coaches, etc...

I hope he's the kind of guy that our own players really, truly want to stay here to play for. If we get that, that spreads outward to other teams.... if we don't have that, well, that spreads outward, too.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Vikings' potential FA heading into March.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/minnesota-vikings/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I'd be looking to see what value we can find in their Safeties, LBers, and that OT, maybe the OG.

Browns is the Browns

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
C.J. Hamm, come on down.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Harris, Morgan, Weatherly, and Ham are the ones I might look at if the price were right.

No real got to get that guy type people, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Here's a handy guide highlighting our own free agents along with their PFF grade from this year...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
it gave baker an above average rating.....

I don't think its that handy.

Edit to add:

It gave Greg Robinson a higher rating that Joe Schobert and Austin Siebert and the Scottish Hammer. . . .. .

Last edited by willitevachange; 01/14/20 04:36 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Depends on what and how it's graded. Is it forecasting ? Or based on their empirical grading system on each play/each game? ... Is it a single game? or - Is it based on a single season? or multiple seasons? .... if a single season, which single season? Based on 2019 - and based only on the season on field performances Baker would be lucky to be considered below average. My guess is this is more a touchy feely, estimate on future performance.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would re-sign Schobert, Higgins, Burris, Hunt, J. McCray, RSJ, B. Cox Jr. and Hodge ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Leaving your mark or your stain. I had asked because of comments made about him on the main board ("What People Are saying About KS"). I expect it tone positive, flattering, not to ruin his day. But it sounds like he engages people who want to work on stuff with him, for him.

Just a tiny sip of koolaid today, just a taste. brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski named Browns head coach

Link Copied to Clipboard