Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
So when Dorsey said “I flexed my muscle and got the guy I wanted” he was:

a. Parroting the corporate pr release.

b. Saying how it would work in a perfect world.

c. Telling it exactly how it was.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Dorsey right now is water under the bridge and 5 miles downstream.

Hue Jackson is in the lake.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Dorsey right now is water under the bridge and 5 miles downstream.

Hue Jackson is in the lake.

And hopefully Haslam is exiting the swamp.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ugh ... have to say - seeing Fells play for Houston and doing so well, and knowing what hot garbage we had at TE this year .... it does piss me off.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/12/20 05:01 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
hope you meant TE. While Mayfield was not great, hot garbage is a little much, me thinks.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Hammer
hope you meant TE. While Mayfield was not great, hot garbage is a little much, me thinks.

Hot garbage is over board ..... but Bake was the reason Njoku was rendered useless ...

M
Legend
Legend
M

I did mean TE. Baker wasn't good either - but he wasn't as bad as our TE's.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Hot garbage is over board ..... but Bake was the reason Njoku was rendered useless ...

Baker's throw certainly put Njoku in harms way .... but that doesn't deflect from one area of talent evaluation Dorsey did a horrible job with.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think if you looked at how we ranked at both the TE and QB position in 2019, you'd find those rankings to be pretty close.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Maybe.

But we had a QB who was one of the top 12? 15? in the NFL in his rookie season. Every reason to have faith in him before the start of the 2019 season...... The TE's? went from at least an average group of performers in 2018 to crapolla in 2019.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Baker is a bust - D+

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
If Baker is a bust - D+

If baker is a bust it’s an f

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jaybird
If Baker is a bust - D+

All the way. You miss on the first overall pick and you fail. It's pretty simple.

Legend
Legend
ESpecially with it benign a quarterback

Can’t mess that up

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He got us OBJ and VG...LOL!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: jaybird
If Baker is a bust - D+

All the way. You miss on the first overall pick and you fail. It's pretty simple.

Agreed

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Dorsey failed to get the Browns into the playoffs
And he failed to get rid of the Browns perception
Around the league
He was by far the Browns best GM since Butch Davis but that's not saying much
Every GM has failed flopped in Cleveland
Theres no argument in that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Being the best GM we've had in years isn't saying much.

And I would argue against Dorsey being the best.

I would be surprised if he ever became GM again.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

I still say Phil was the best (change my mind smile )

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would vote Phil as well.

O
Legend
Legend
O

You might be right, but I wouldn't be confident betting either way.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. It was Dorsey's coaching hire that opened him up for criticism and made him vulnerable. Haslam approached him with a reduced role, because Kitchens had to go, and there's no way I'm giving Dorsey another shot at HC decision (whether it's retaining Kitchens or trying to hire the next guy). Dorsey wouldn't accept a reduced role, and here we are. Believable situation, and I don't really blame anyone involved (even Dorsey, to a degree). I wouldn't want to be even more under Haslam's thumb and in line with other execs in the org (like DePo and the new coach).

It sucks, but I get why we're down both a coach and a GM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This is very well true. A better HC hire and a playoff birth and Dorsey may still be here. Aside from some player acquisitions, the actual GMing Dorsey did was pretty bad.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This is very well true. A better HC hire and a playoff birth and Dorsey may still be here. Aside from some player acquisitions, the actual GMing Dorsey did was pretty bad.

With a playoff berth I don't see how anyone could make an argument to give him the boot.

Last season wasn't just bad, it was monumentally bad. In spite of our issues throughout the season, we still had the opportunity to squeak in to a wild card spot the last couple weeks. The teams we needed to lose, lost... all we had to do was play competent football. The universe was practically trying to force feed us a play off berth! The Browns were a fussy 2 year old.. every time the playoff baby food airplane was coming in to the hangar, they'd spit it out, clench their jaws, and flip the whole baby tray!

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Dorsey is out for two reasons. His hand selected pick of Freddie as head coach and his inability to swallow a little pride and allow Depo, a nerd in Dorseys eyes, lead the coaching search.

Sorry John, Haslam gave you the magic wand, and you come up with Freddie Kitchens as your head coach?

I like Freddie. I think he is a grinder, and works hard. He just isn't a head coach in the NFL.

There is nothing wrong with being a good assistant coach. Most everybody here would take that job and that pay.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The more I look at this roster, the more doubts I have now about King Johnny.

Baker looks like he could still be a bust.

He was right on the money with Nick.

He hired the worst head coach in NFL history and that's saying something.

Zeitler and Peppers look a lot better than OBJ and Vernon right now.

Legend
Legend
He didn't hire Hue

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
He didn't hire Hue

Hue didn't have the talent Freddie did.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Zeitler, Vernon, the 16th pick, and a 4th.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
He didn't hire Hue

Freddie also had more wins in his first 4 games than Hue did in his first 34.

NFL talent disparities aren't as big as people make them out to be. There are what, 200+ college programs feeding 32 NFL teams? Even fringe NFL players are very good football players, and that 2017 team had a lot more "real" players than some want to admit. We can list them if anybody is interested.

Now, that being said, Freddie clearly had a better team to work with, so how people want to sort that out is anybody's guess. I'll take the guy who won 6 games his first season and then didn't even have the chance to show improvement in season two, over the guy who won 1 game his first season and then had to cash in his promise to jump into Lake Erie because he did worse in his second season. Good riddance.

It makes me aggravated just thinking about it. The Browns are a historic franchise in professional football and to seeing them reduced to that... arrgh.

Last edited by Haus; 01/18/20 09:16 AM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Anyway, about Dorsey:

I think the book is still not fully written yet. He's been gone what, a couple weeks? We still don't fully know how a lot of the young players he brought in are going to work out. Consider the old rule that you can't really evaluate a draft class until three years later.

There's also the issue of what he brought in vs. what he had to work with (i.e. a lot). Draft picks and cap space are the currency teams use to bring in players and we were stocked with both. Reverse draft order (e.g. picking first in every round in 2018) helps a lot as well.

Comparing the talent brought in when teams are in asset accumulation mode vs asset spending mode always looks different. Same reason why Chris Grant never gets the credit he deserves for that 4 year Cavs run-- he is the one who accumulated all the assets that were later spent by another GM.

It's just another factor to consider. I'm not necessarily saying it means JD did a bad job as the list of names he brought in does appear to be impressive. Which brings up my last point in this rambling mess of a post-- remember that you're building a team, not just collecting talent. I believe that Dorsey was not mindful enough about the "building a team" aspect and that reared its ugly head week 1 vs the Titans and didn't get much better after that. Or maybe you put that all on Freddie... ok, that was Dorsey's pick for head coach and he flexed his muscles to make it happen. Either way, it's on Dorsey.

Last edited by Haus; 01/18/20 09:27 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I think the book is still not fully written yet

Agreed. Although, in the end, I still don't think it will look good. I'm interested to see the trajectory especially for Greedy and Mack Wilson.

Quote:
Comparing the talent brought in when teams are in asset accumulation mode vs asset spending mode always look radically different

Clearly, that is tough for a few people on here to understand.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
[satire] Well of course it is. [/satire]

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Haus
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
He didn't hire Hue

Freddie also had more wins in his first 4 games than Hue did in his first 34.

NFL talent disparities aren't as big as people make them out to be. There are what, 200+ college programs feeding 32 NFL teams? Even fringe NFL players are very good football players, and that 2017 team had a lot more "real" players than some want to admit. We can list them if anybody is interested.

Now, that being said, Freddie clearly had a better team to work with, so how people want to sort that out is anybody's guess. I'll take the guy who won 6 games his first season and then didn't even have the chance to show improvement in season two, over the guy who won 1 game his first season and then had to cash in his promise to jump into Lake Erie because he did worse in his second season. Good riddance.

It makes me aggravated just thinking about it. The Browns are a historic franchise in professional football and to seeing them reduced to that... arrgh.

No .. Hue was 8 - 8 with the Raiders

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I don't have much issue with Dorsey's drafts...there are a few picks I'm sure he'd rather get back...it happens. He did well...but he should have done well with the # of picks at his disposal- and the slot those picks were in in each round.

Outside of the draft? My my my. I think he completely failed at O-line, TE and D-line. He removed from the team good football players and replaced them with guys like D Harris and Kush (I'll give him credit for the chance taken on Richardson)...then made moves like paying TJ Carrie a boatload of money because he just traded McCourty - for not liking JD's stupid comment about "real football players". His "real football players" comment was as ignorant as Freddie wearing the "Pit started it" T-shirt.

So...the guy did well with the bounty of picks he inherited...punted too much of the talent already on the roster at his arrival...and failed to replace those "not real football players" with guys who were any better...and had many of those replacements turn out to be worse...while burning some valuable cap...and then the Freddie hire and management duties of a complete GM. He didn't "leave" just because of the Freddie hire.

I'd give him a C-...which rounded up for the curve in the Browns-history-of-GM-performance...gets him to a B- (not saying much there). If he wasn't gifted the 2nd additional pick in Rds 1 & 2 - resulting in Ward and Chubb - he'd be a solid D...and his choice of Corbett over Chubb et al just might have been a career-ender.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
His 3 worst moves

#! - Hiring Freddie Kitchens instead of retaining Gregg Williams. Williams had the franchise moving in the right direction. They played tough, disciplined, hard nosed football. Kitchens as OC allowed Baker to flourish as QB.

#2 - Trading Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon was a horrible trade. Zeitler was the Browns best Offensive lineman that helped to solidify an OLine with weak Tackles. Vernon was an absolute bust. He did next to nothing. Team would have been much better off keeping Emmanual Ogbah at DEnd opposite Garrett. Vernon disappeared in games he played in and was injury prone. Terrible trade.

#2 Drafted Austin Corbett at the top of the 2nd round #33 overall. Will Hernandez was taken 1 pick later and started all 16 games last season for the NY Giants.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Cutting Jamie Collins and not getting anything in return was pretty bad too. But I can't argue with your top 3, especially when the Corbett decision came over Nick Chubb taken two picks later. Imagine not having that extra pick.

Thanks, Brock Osweiler.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cle23

Zeitler, Vernon, the 16th pick, and a 4th.

Thanks for validating my post even more.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, it sucks we missed out on Chubb. No, wait, Dorsey drafted Chubb.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, it sucks we missed out on Chubb. No, wait, Dorsey drafted Chubb.

No one is saying we missed out on Chubb, obviously.

Imagine not having that extra pick. Imagine not having all those extra picks and Dorsey drafting zero pro bowlers trying to build a team.

King John, baby...Let's GOOOOOoooooo

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Why would you direct Diams go to line towards me? Here is your comment.....

Quote:
especially when the Corbett decision came over Nick Chubb taken two picks later.

How do you know he wouldn't have selected Chubb if he had only of had one pick there?

You see, part of the draft process is to be able to understand what the other teams plan to do with their picks. Evaluating that Chubb would still be there when our next piack came around is part of that process.

Already knowing you had that other pick is part of that process.

Imagine what might have happened if the powers that be before Dorsey came actually tried building a team instead of ripping it to shreds while compiling draft picks?

I mean if you wish to play the "what if" game.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Evaluating John Dorsey as CLE GM

Link Copied to Clipboard