Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C. We absolutely need to hold on to Hunt for this season. It appeared that we did great with the Duke Johnson trade BUT he was sorely missed as we had no production from Hilliard and were without a TE. Not having his ability as a receiver and 3rd down back killed us. Hunt must stay because it will make us more dynamic and he has the knack for moving the chains.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Then I'd tender him at his original draft position. If that's still a thing.

Can't we trade his rights? Perhaps that's the best scenario.

It's entirely plausible that he's here for 2020. It's entirely plausible he's here much longer than that. I'm still skeptical.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We cannot trade his rights. The closest we would be able to do is a sign and trade but that’s rare and complex. Restricted free agents just don’t move very much.

H
1st String
1st String
H
We have the money this year and a little more the year after before we have to resign Myles, Ward, Baker, and Chub. Sign hunt to 2-4 year deal with most in first 2 years. When we can’t afford him anymore, year or two, trade him. He will be a lightly used 26-27 pro bowl rb with little left on contract. You can get something for him. No sense in not keeping him around as long as we can financially.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd imagine most restricted FA are not Hunt-caliber. Thus lack of movement. It will be interesting to see what happens.

B
1st String
1st String
B
does anybody remember Byner and Mack? Aside from Jim Brown, that has been our best running game. A tandem system, Chubb and Hunt. Yup, sign them both, fix the OL, resign Schobert and add to the D, pray that Baker's game gets fixed, and let's see what happens.

Legend
Legend
I have a feeling with our zone blocking system and RBs .... it’ll be an explosion in the ground and PA game. I’m actually excited about the prospects of our offense

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
I see no reason to get rid of Hunt. If Stefanski is all that with the offense (specifically the run game) it'll be a happy problem for him to feed both Chubb and Hunt and get Hunt touches on the perimeter.

Normally I rail against this weird notion where fans of this team seem to think we're not allowed to have talent, only draft picks. In this situation, I can understand where you're coming from. A team could throw some major draft capital for Hunt as a RFA, and if Stefanski doesn't think he's going to use him, then might as well get a pick.

Still. Get talent, then keep talent.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't think there's going to be much of a trade market for Hunt, due to his off-field issues. If there are any offers, figure something like a late round pick, not the second rounder or higher that some are hoping for. A team that was willing to do that probably would have signed him for cheap in free agency when he was available.

From a football perspective, there's nothing wrong with having Chubb and Hunt. Figure at least one of the two will be on the field the vast majority of offensive snaps. Occasionally both will be in on split backs or maybe line up Hunt in the slot or whatever. Hunt really isn't a lead blocker though so as much as people want to use him as a fullback in I-formation, that doesn't really make sense to do consistently.

Figure Chubb is the starter, but Hunt can spell him pretty frequently. Call it the best of both worlds.. we'll always have a great back in the game, they can stay fresh late in the game and late in the season, and it might extend Chubb's career somewhat.

Last edited by Haus; 01/21/20 10:40 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BarkinMad
does anybody remember Byner and Mack? Aside from Jim Brown, that has been our best running game. A tandem system, Chubb and Hunt. Yup, sign them both, fix the OL, resign Schobert and add to the D, pray that Baker's game gets fixed, and let's see what happens.

I agree with you for the most part. I like Joe and think he's a good player. I might take the comp pick, though.

Seems like LBs don't last very long after getting paid.

Plus, if there is a place to try to save some money on D, it's probably LB.

If we can get a "hometown" discount, sure, bring him back.

If he wants Mosley money, find some young guys that can run and hit. I don't really want LBs trying (and mostly failing) to cover athletic TEs, anyways, any more.

I'd rather solidify safeties that can cover.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
1st String
1st String
B
Originally Posted By: Haus
I don't think there's going to be much of a trade market for Hunt, due to his off-field issues. If there are any offers, figure something like a late round pick, not the second rounder or higher that some are hoping for. A team that was willing to do that probably would have signed him for cheap in free agency when he was available.

From a football perspective, there's nothing wrong with having Chubb and Hunt. Figure at least one of the two will be on the field the vast majority of offensive snaps. Occasionally both will be in on split backs or maybe line up Hunt in the slot or whatever. Hunt really isn't a lead blocker though so as much as people want to use him as a fullback in I-formation, that doesn't really make sense to do consistently.

Figure Chubb is the starter, but Hunt can spell him pretty frequently. Call it the best of both worlds.. we'll always have a great back in the game, they can stay fresh late in the game and late in the season, and it might extend Chubb's career somewhat.

A team did sgin him cheap, We did. lol laugh

B
1st String
1st String
B
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

I agree with you for the most part. I like Joe and think he's a good player. I might take the comp pick, though.

Seems like LBs don't last very long after getting paid.

Plus, if there is a place to try to save some money on D, it's probably LB.

If we can get a "hometown" discount, sure, bring him back.

If he wants Mosley money, find some young guys that can run and hit. I don't really want LBs trying (and mostly failing) to cover athletic TEs, anyways, any more.

I'd rather solidify safeties that can cover.

I see whaqt yo;u're asaying, but I'm not sure we would get a better LB than Schobert with the comp pick, I'd keep him, he's good. In fact, we need more, we can't just completely rely on Garrett, need to get him some help. Think of JJ Watt, he's a beast, but even when they had Clowney, they still didn't make the SB, now without Clowney, they may be slightly better in some areas, but still failed to make the SB. I'm not saying Clowney is the difference directly, but extra pressure makes a big difference, The rats always have any number of guys that can blitz, and well, same with Pitt.

Strong run game helps open up the pass game, and a strong defense will help win the game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe's good. He's not 5 years, $85 million good.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree. Joe is really good that the cerebral part of MLB. But he doesn't have elite speed and too often his tackles end up several yards beyond the point of impact. He's good, not elite MLB good.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I agree. Joe is really good that the cerebral part of MLB. But he doesn't have elite speed and too often his tackles end up several yards beyond the point of impact. He's good, not elite MLB good.

Letting Schobert walk without an adequate replacement on the roster is not wise. My guess is that he will/is not demanding a top tier contract. Signing him to a contract similar to what Myles Jack got (https://overthecap.com/player/myles-jack/4749/) would be a great deal for both sides.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Which begs the question why does anyone think his value is so much more inflated now?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Letting Schobert walk without an adequate replacement on the roster is not wise. My guess is that he will/is not demanding a top tier contract. Signing him to a contract similar to what Myles Jack got (https://overthecap.com/player/myles-jack/4749/) would be a great deal for both sides.

Yea I think he needs to be signed ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
1st String
1st String
B
Plus, if you're waiting for ELITE at any position, you will spend a lot of time waiting and a lot of time losing. Oh, wait, we've done that.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Which begs the question why does anyone think his value is so much more inflated now?

Bingo. That's the real issue. He's not getting moved because no one is going to give up enough for him. Kareem Hunt is more valuable playing for us during the 2020 season than a fourth round pick (or later) would be.

(I said the same thing about Duke Johnson and then the Texans gave us a third round pick.)

As I stated in a previous post, the third round pick we got for Duke Johnson was the highest pick a team has gotten for a running back since we got a first for Trent Richardson. I would be shocked if a team gave up a high pick for a player in Hunt's situation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And the things is, not only would they have to give up draft capital, but also match our contract offer. Yet we signed him for next to nothing during the off season. He carries a lot of baggage that Duke Johnson didn't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
And the things is, not only would they have to give up draft capital, but also match our contract offer. Yet we signed him for next to nothing during the off season. He carries a lot of baggage that Duke Johnson didn't.

He's a restricted free agent so we would have to match the other team's offer. The point still stands though. No one is giving up a high pick for Hunt.

P
Legend
Legend
P

He's a restricted free agent so we would have to match the other team's offer. The point still stands though. No one is giving up a high pick for Hunt.

Besides his baggage, I believe a team would offer more for Hunt than we got for Duke just because he brings more overall talent than Duke...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
1st String
1st String
B

I don't knwo, his talent hasn't suddenly disappeared. So, a team might want to upgrade their run game. Personally, I don't see us getting a high draft pick for him either, so I'd just sign him and keep the tandem of Chubb and Hunt for a long time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet nobody was offering him anything when we picked him up with zero compensation last year.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not now, but if he's having a good year in 2020, as the trading deadline approaches, if we aren't in the playoff hunt, a team that is and needs a RB might pony up.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C

Not now, but if he's having a good year in 2020, as the trading deadline approaches, if we aren't in the playoff hunt, a team that is and needs a RB might pony up.

If we aren’t in contention trade him for whatever you can get.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I think the Hunt situation is different than other RBs who did not bring much in a trade.

He's crazy young at 24...he's only played 2.5 years in the NFL so he's "fresh"...he did something stupid to get suspended but he's not got a craving for drugs that we know of...he's been praised by anyone asked.

Duke wasn't nearly as good/special as Hunt...yet drew a 3rd because he's young-ish and not beat up with overuse...and is quite good at what he is good at.

I'd give him the 1st Rd tender - which is probably more $ than we must - and try to sign him to a 3 yr deal. One less hole to fill for the near future. JMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet nobody was offering him anything when we picked him up with zero compensation last year.

True and I hope we keep him no matter what is offered for him ...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Besides his baggage, I believe a team would offer more for Hunt than we got for Duke just because he brings more overall talent than Duke...

The Texans were dumb to give up what they did for Duke Johnson. Teams, rightfully, don’t value running backs.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

You are correct. But he was under suspension by the league because he kicked a woman. The optics were awful. I give/gave JD credit for taking that chance.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm curious to see what weight Montrel Meander comes into camp at. He's listed at LB on the official site now.

I think we've got adequate replacements available. Maybe not great, but it's hard to tell without them getting more reps.

It comes down to the contract. I think someone will pay Schobert more than I'd be willing to.

He'd be nice to have back. Less nice since he won't be on a rookie contract any more. It'd be nice to make it work, but it's a business. We just drafted 2 LBs who are on rookie contracts.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P

The Texans were dumb to give up what they did for Duke Johnson. Teams, rightfully, don’t value running backs.

Your right so whose to say someone won't be dumb enough to offer a 1 or 2 for a better RB in Hunt thumbsup

Last edited by PastorMarc; 01/21/20 02:35 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What makes you think that teams who wouldn't pay anything to him last off season suddenly see him as a player they will not only give up draft capital for, but also a much larger salary than we did?

He only played eight games and his stats don't jump out at you. The best case scenario would be to keep him for a year or two and give his value time to increase. Then you may actually get a premium for him.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

If we aren’t in contention trade him for whatever you can get.

If we're not in contention at the trade deadline, Haslam is going to take a flamethrower to everything.....again.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Your right so whose to say someone won't be dumb enough to offer a 1 or 2 for a better RB in Hunt thumbsup

The Texans don’t have any picks left to trade.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The Day we trade Hunt.. Chubb will tear a ACL.

"Just gotta Coach em up" , "I thought they Battled" , " I need to watch the tape"
Legend
Legend
Colts?

Kidding don't want to trade him. Bargain bull.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: AlwaysABrownsFan
The Day we trade Hunt.. Chubb will tear a ACL.

Your username checks out here.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

You are correct. But he was under suspension by the league because he kicked a woman.

He's not under suspension but he's one slip up away from an indefinite suspension. Also, because he has assaulted a woman some teams won't even touch him (which limits his market).

I feel dirty even talking about that last sentence.

Legend
Legend
The only thing that makes me a little more comfortable is that it seems like he went above and beyond what he was required to do by the NFL.

His family is really messed up as well ....... so hopefully the help he got will help him in all of his interpersonal relationships.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum An Offseason Consideration- What To Do With Kareem Hunt?

Link Copied to Clipboard