Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It depends on how one defines a "rush decision".

You see, some people already have a plan in place. They know the direction they're headed in. So the decision is quick and immediate. If that decision turns out to be positive, people do not call it a "rushed decision".

At that juncture they call that things like decisive, sticking to the plan, purposeful, resolute, confident and steadfast. Some even say they had their target and didn't settle for less.

What one calls such decisions is based on perception.

I just disagree. If part of this search process is identifying candidates, interviewing candidates, and then selecting a candidate, maybe we're just reaching the selecting stage. Selecting someone during the interviewing stage would be rushing a decision.

I mean, there's a whole committee making this decision. They also have to get the opinions weighed in by others who are probably there during the interview (Stefanski and Depodesta). They will use all of the information they receive to make their decision.

This is an organized process. Depodesta made that clear. That's how he does things.

We might hire Paton. We might hire one of the other two guys. Who knows if we're done with the interviewing phase. Maybe we'll interview someone else. But, i don't think anyone was going to be hired the day they came to be interviewed no matter what.

That'd just skip one of those steps

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Whose giving him the benefit of the doubt ... I been saying for over 2 years he’s been the worst owner in the history of sports so far ... that don’t sound like giving him a pass to me ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Ya, cause the problems we’ve had in the past were because we rushed ... rolleyes

Now there's an opening for constructive debate! rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Guess I was Hardy that time ... nice job Laurel ... *L* ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

I just disagree. If part of this search process is identifying candidates, interviewing candidates, and then selecting a candidate, maybe we're just reaching the selecting stage. Selecting someone during the interviewing stage would be rushing a decision.

I think we have a miscommunication here. I'm in no way judging how one comes to these decisions. I'm not trying to show favor to one way or the other.

I'm saying that the way people perceive how you made such decisions depends largely on the results of those decisions.

If hiring Stefanksi and the new powers that be turn out to work, people will see them just as you have described. If they turn out as poorly as those in the past, the process will be viewed in a negative light.

That's just how things work out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

"Normally" when a person is called in for a second interview. The decision makers have met and discussed all that has taken place up to that point.

Keep in mind it has been stated that there are less candidates than for head coach. There was much background work done before anyone was asked to be interviewed. They have met with Berry and Ossenfort. No one else has been asked to be interviewed.

After the three's first interview Paton was called in for second interview. KS has thirteen years experience with him. He knows what he needs to know. So now the others get to review the first interview and ask anything left as uncertain in the second interview.

Again over a 8 hour second meeting there is plenty of time to huddle and decide if they want to make an offer.

All of that would have been discussed before the second interview.

My guess is they made an offer and tried to close him.

IMO. He said I want to think it over? Why?

He knows what they want from him. The money is not the issue.

He must have reservations is what I come up with.

Maybe he decides to take the offer? But IMO going into the second interview he should have known if they offered wither he would take it or not.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I do agree how the results can change how something is viewed.

If a quick decision works, people can say they were lasered in on their candidate and went out and got him.

If it doesn't work, people can say they made a knee jerk decision.

In this case, we do know we went about hiring Stefanski the same way we are going about it now, so that says something. We aren't wavering in our method.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet I think we both know if it fails the narrative will be written that they let all the good candidates be hired first and the process gave us no choice but pick from the leftovers. That they procrastinated and couldn't make a decisive choice. That the better candidates like McCarthy didn't want the job because of Haslam.

Not saying that is a conclusion anyone should reach, but you know if it turns out badly the negative spin will be there.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I didn't get in to the other because there is always a flip side of things. I get that.

" We dorked around and look at what we got." I get it.

To be honest, I don't think we lost out on anybody we wanted.

Rivera was done before the season was over, no? Or, the day it was over.

I don't think we would have considered McCarthy. Just didn't fit the process plan.

I think we got the guy this year who we needed last year, and that is total hindsight talk. I didn't know Stefanski and know I liked what I saw from Freddie the final 7-8 games. I really wanted Williams, but was good with Freddie once announced.

I suppose it is good we went with Freddie. Had we gone Stefanski last year, there might have been a riot. LOL The guy would have never been given a chance in the court of public opinion.

Now he will. Just reading the board, even the early negative banter seems to have cooled once people started listening the guy. I think that was helped a great deal because Depo has been more vocal. It's hard to not be impressed with the guy. People walk away thinking he is sharp and seems like a good guy.

I think the perception that Depo was like the Wizard of OZ...this guy standing behind a curtain, holding his Harvard degree, pulling levers and pushing buttons has subsided.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Now he will. Just reading the board, even the early negative banter seems to have cooled once people started listening the guy. I think that was helped a great deal because Depo has been more vocal. It's hard to not be impressed with the guy. People walk away thinking he is sharp and seems like a good guy.

I think the perception that Depo was like the Wizard of OZ...this guy standing behind a curtain, holding his Harvard degree, pulling levers and pushing buttons has subsided.

peen...you can continue to fool yourself into thinking Depodesta didn't have a hand in what went down here in Cleveland...But, the entire team and front office knows that Depodesta pushed for more power within the franchise and he had Haslam's ear anytime he wanted it.

Haslam, being the typical jerk that he is rewarded Depodesta and found someone else to blame and fired him.

Some seem to forget, it was Dorsey who warned EVERYONE at the beginning of the season that this was going to be a tough year, with the coaching changes, new players and especially looking at our schedule.

Depodesta and Haslam have established a well deserved reputation of distrust within the Browns front office. Everyone that is hired to work for the Browns knows they need to protect their own back because the reputations of those running the franchise.

Haslam's record as an NFL owner speaks for itself...he is still the worst owner in the NFL. All the sweet talking and bs isn't going to change who Haslam is.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sometimes smart guys outsmart themselves. Like you, I preferred Williams to stay on. I thought that Freddie was given too much too soon. Looking at the evidence, Stefanski and Freddie were both good position coaches and Stefanski has a whopping eight games more experience than Freddie had at the OC position.

We have no idea what will happen with Stefanski as our HC or with Depo calling the shots.

As is always the case, most Browns fans have one of two choices, either try their best to be on board and hope for the best, or sit around and raise hell about the decisions that were made.

Freddie wasn't my choice nor is Stefanski. I'm not an "all on board" or "these guys are gonna suck" fan. I'm in a firm "wait and see" mode.

Each and every time there has been a change in HC's and FO's we get the same tripe about how this time is going to be different. How this time they got the process right. We see articles talking up the new powers that be. We see a "new structure".

At some point reality sinks in and some of us need evidence it's going to work rather than just buy the same old BS we have heard so many times before.

#gmstrong
mac #1724471 01/23/20 03:27 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

peen...you can continue to fool yourself into thinking Depodesta didn't have a hand in what went down here in Cleveland...But, the entire team and front office knows that Depodesta pushed for more power within the franchise and he had Haslam's ear anytime he wanted it.

Haslam, being the typical jerk that he is rewarded Depodesta and found someone else to blame and fired him.

Some seem to forget, it was Dorsey who warned EVERYONE at the beginning of the season that this was going to be a tough year, with the coaching changes, new players and especially looking at our schedule.

Depodesta and Haslam have established a well deserved reputation of distrust within the Browns front office. Everyone that is hired to work for the Browns knows they need to protect their own back because the reputations of those running the franchise.

Haslam's record as an NFL owner speaks for itself...he is still the worst owner in the NFL. All the sweet talking and bs isn't going to change who Haslam is.

I don't know what kind of hand he had in it, neither do you. We each have our opinions.

I don't think Depo has created distrust. Not sure where you get that. I do get it with the Haslams. Thus far they have fallen behind the learning curve, but I do think they care and are trying, unlike Randy.

It's all good Mac. I think we are going to like what is about to come down. Look at it this way...would you rather have a smart person leading the coaching/GM search, or a dummy?

I choose smart every time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with you except your statement on McCarthy. I thought Haslam wrote his speech for the press conference before they kicked off the hiring process with a picture of McCarthy in front of him. He specifically mentioned HC experience, analytics, and "playing nice with others" as well as having a hand in the GM search. IMO, that screams McCarthy (and Rivera, had he still been available). Not Stefanski.

Aside: I'm not against the Stefanski hire. I'm staying totally neutral at least until he rounds out his staff (but moreso when his team can be seen on the field). I'm extremely 'meh' on the hire, but admit that that has everything to do with the Browns recent history, and almost nothing to do with KS himself, which is unfair.

Back on topic.... so while the revisionist history machine will be in full swing if Stefanski's tenure goes up in smoke, I feel that there will at least be a shred of truth to what the vultures that pose as Cleveland sports media will be writing.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
You could be right. I just don't think McCarthy was ever a serious candidate. I also don't think he ever gave us serious consideration. I don't think he would buy in to such a set up.

Most old timers don't change much. I know.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

I am firmly in the "wait and see" mode.

I have been impressed by Stefanski. But that is all surface. I like how he carries himself.

And that carries zero significance.

I am very concerned about the GM position. That is a critical decision.

The roster has talent. However, so much depends upon Mayfield. I still believe he has the potential to be a very good quarterback. But there is still a lot that has to happen to reach that potential.

Over seven months before a new season. Until I see the product on the field I will withhold all judgement.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
You could be right. I just don't think McCarthy was ever a serious candidate. I also don't think he ever gave us serious consideration. I don't think he would buy in to such a set up.

Speak for yourself bro .... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m still recovering from the thief’s stupidity .... i expect to headed back to the Isle soon to get ready for next year ...

The talents there .... its all up to Bake and the new guys putting the finishing touches on the product ... thumbsup

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

peen...if this is true...why is Haslam the worst owner in the NFL?

I don't consider Haslam smart as the owner of the Browns, but you do even though the franchise record since becoming owner is the worst.

The Browns have finished 4th in the AFC North every year Jimmy
has owned the team....EXCEPT WHEN THE "DUMB GUY" WAS RUNNING THE FRANCHISE FOR HIM.

GO FIGURE, PEEN..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Speak for yourself bro .... thumbsup

I know....I do in some ways. I am a bigger college football fan than NFL fan. I am 100% Browns. After that I don't care much until maybe playoff time. I don't just sit down and watch Chicago V Minnesota in week 9.

I am also 100% a Gator fan. Unlike the NFL, I will watch ND v Mich. or Miss. v Miss St., or COL v Idaho.

In other words, I watch a lot of college football and it has shaped my views of what the NFL needed to become and what it is becoming.

If it wasn't for the Browns, the NFL is a after thought. College football, I watch it until I fall asleep in my chair. I call it falling asleep, thank-you.

Really, the NFL is a crappy, flag filled game. It's hard to watch. NFL games show more ref time then game time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Something is not right.

I am guessing Paton has some reservations. When you fly a guy in for a second interview. Then spend eight hours with him and he flies back with no deal?

Seems odd to me. They should have been able to address everything.

KS was evasive. "We are taking a methodical approach."

If others start coming back for a second interview. My guess is Paton is out as a candidate.

If an offer is made and Paton turns it down, I'm not so sure how much can be read in to that seeing as he has a history of turning gigs down. Without knowing what he islooking for in a GM gig it's pretty hard to view his decision as a reflection on what the Browns are doing wrong.

If both parties are methodical, it's probably not a bad thing we haven't heard anything yet. I imagine the first meeting as being both sides presenting what they have to offer, what their vision is.. and for DePo what systems do we have in place.

I can totally see Paton leaving, considering what those systems are, and coming back putting DePo through is paces so to speak: pushing back on concepts, running through scenarios.. testing their systems to see if its BS or if they are for real.

After that going home and making his own assessment.

And if the Browns are trying to play it cool and methodical, making an immediate offer and pushing him to sign kind of undercuts that image I'd think.

Just a guess

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
mac #1724498 01/23/20 04:05 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

peen...if this is true...why is Haslam the worst owner in the NFL?

I don't consider Haslam smart as the owner of the Browns, but you do even though the franchise record since becoming owner is the worst.

The Browns have finished 4th in the AFC North every year Jimmy
has owned the team....EXCEPT WHEN THE "DUMB GUY" WAS RUNNING THE FRANCHISE FOR HIM.

GO FIGURE, PEEN..

Go figure. I was talking about Depo being smart...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's not a bad scenario to consider. But when someone makes such a decision, one would also have to consider job stability.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
He specifically mentioned HC experience

I don't believe he ever specifically mentioned HC experience. I believe he said they were looking for NFL experience.

Last edited by devicedawg; 01/23/20 04:30 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
He specifically mentioned HC experience, analytics, and "playing nice with others" as well as having a hand in the GM search. IMO, that screams McCarthy (and Rivera, had he still been available). Not Stefanski.

Haslam did not say "Head Coach experience." Haslam said, "NFL coaching experience." This was all said in regards to a question on if Urban Meyer was a candidate.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Super probably has him blocked. wink

Why?

He's a bad guy.

I like your posts. Very informative.

mac #1724638 01/24/20 07:38 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Do you know what Depo's job title is? Here I will make it easy. He is the Chief Strategy Officer.

Do you know what he was hired to do? Here I will make it easy again. He was hired to implement systems and processes to strengthen the Browns organization and decision making. That included everything in the organization from hiring and training janitors, sales people, secretary's and GM's. His job was and is to set up processes to hire the right people and set up a smooth process in running each and every department. He is doing just what he was hired to do from the start. He does not tell the GM who to trade for, who to sign as a free agent, anything to do with salary cap, or who to draft. He does not tell the coach what system to run, what players to keep or who gets playing time.

He has no more power today than he did when he was hired in 2016.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And I've never heard him say or act otherwise.

D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl ...

Ya the thief decided to cut KJ’s nuts off all on his own ...

Keep drinking the kool aid bro ... he not only has the thief’s ear he’s in his head ....

Feel free to keep your head buried in the sand ... if all he did was set up process then why was he on the committee to pick head coaches .... that sounds an awful lot like being a PART OF THE PROCESS, not just setting it up ... but all he’s doing is setting them up ... rolleyes ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Comments on drafting Corey Coleman and that draft......

“We are trying to build a great organization over a long period of time,” DePodesta said Thursday night, “and tonight was the perfect example of that. We got a player we really wanted who we think is a great fit for us now, and yet we also have a few more bites at the apple.”

Those who knew DePodesta in the baseball world predicted that this was exactly how his first draft with the Browns would go. But the plan being followed in Cleveland has to do with more than just his influence. The Browns are following a path paved by both analytics and some of the most successful NFL organizations of our time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/04/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-hue-jackson-paul-depodesta-sachi-brown

It sure sounds one helluva lot more like what you're saying doesn't it?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

If Paton is not signed before Monday most likely he will not be the GM.

I can not see any reason why signing him is going to take longer?

Given any process he is either in or not.

After deciding on who to bring in which is part of a screening process. And then two face to face lengthy meetings. What else needs to be discussed?

Over two 8+ hours of talks, white boards, dinners etc. what could remain that would not have been discussed?

One would have to assume an offer has been made. He has had a couple days to sleep on it.

Cleveland or stay with the Vikings?

IMO if something doesn't leak today Paton is out.

Legend
Legend
rofl ...

Ya the thief decided to cut KJ’s nuts off all on his own ...

Keep drinking the kool aid bro ... he not only has the thief’s ear he’s in his head ....

Feel free to keep your head buried in the sand ... if all he did was set up process then why was he on the committee to pick head coaches .... that sounds an awful lot like being a PART OF THE PROCESS, not just setting it up ... but all he’s doing is setting them up ... rolleyes ...

Cool I will. As long as you continue to live in your make believe world where you think up crap and claim it as correct.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Patrons out as GM

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: chirp30
Patrons out as GM

P
Legend
Legend
P
#thehaslamcurse

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One consolation prize coming up!

[Linked Image]

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
have a feeling Elliot Wolf will become the new GM, now.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Hammer
have a feeling Elliot Wolf will become the new GM, now.
Maybe, but he would have to want the job.

D
Legend
Legend
D
So Depo wasn’t in on the interviews and wasn’t on the committee that chose FK and now KS? ... was that my made up crap? .... or was my made up crap saying that being involved in the actual interviews and decision making Was way more than just setting up processes ...

What part of that is made up crap ...

Actions speak louder than words ... this ain’t hard to figure out ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
and meetings between Paton & other higher ups in the personnel department once he returned to the office on Thursday after his 2nd interview with the Browns resulted in the assistant GM deciding to stay put.

AKA.....they restructured his contract and gave him more money.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM search

Link Copied to Clipboard