Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If I were GM, I'd require a portion of his time spent volunteering or giving back to help women spurred by abuse.

I doubt we do that, unfortunately.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
What's a Kareem Hunt?

It's an African safari in search of the wild and rare 'Kareem'. I thought everyone knew that...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here's a random thought I had this weekend.

What if we look to sign and trade Kareem Hunt to the Redskins for Trent Williams?

We could then pick up a change of pace RB in the 3rd or 4th round.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Here's a random thought I had this weekend.

What if we look to sign and trade Kareem Hunt to the Redskins for Trent Williams?

We could then pick up a change of pace RB in the 3rd or 4th round.

All the people Trent Williams had a problem with in Washington are no longer employed.

If we get anything of value for Kareem Hunt, my guess is that, he will be gone. Data shows that running backs should not be valued highly.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If we don't get anything better than a second round pick I don't think we trade him.

If he signs in FA don't we get a 2nd or 1st rounder because he is a RFA?

If there are no takers, why not re-sign him for a similar prove it contract.

Legend
Legend
I'd say that we are the losers in that trade.

We'd have given away a young, star talent with his best days still ahead of him to acquire an old, nearing retirement talent that will cost 8x as much, not contribute for half as long, and will still need us to draft his replacement this year while we are in position with a draft stacked at the position.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's a good point.

C
Legend
Legend
C
If we don't get anything better than a second round pick I don't think we trade him.

I don't see us signing Kareem Hunt to a long term extension. So the question becomes about value. What is more valuable to the team in the short and long term -- Kareem Hunt (and his 2020 salary) or whatever we get back in compensation? Picks are not just picks. They can be used in trades and they are cheap contracts for four years. With our new front office we should be thinking about value and not just "what can this guy do for me right".

We get to tender him a contract. First, second, or original round tender (in Hunt's case this would be a third round pick). If another team signs him we have a chance to match the offer, if we do not match the offer we get that team's pick based on the level we tendered him.

If there are no takers let him sign his tender and play for one year.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

I don't see us signing Kareem Hunt to a long term extension. So the question becomes about value. What is more valuable to the team in the short and long term -- Kareem Hunt (and his 2020 salary) or whatever we get back in compensation? Picks are not just picks. They can be used in trades and they are cheap contracts for four years. With our new front office we should be thinking about value and not just "what can this guy do for me right".

We get to tender him a contract. First, second, or original round tender (in Hunt's case this would be a third round pick). If another team signs him we have a chance to match the offer, if we do not match the offer we get that team's pick based on the level we tendered him.

If there are no takers let him sign his tender and play for one year.

This is my thinking as well.

The question is, at least to me, if the Browns are perfectly fine with letting him walk for draft pick compensation because they know they won't/will not sign him long-term.....what it the sweet spot? I don't think this latest news aids the Browns whatsoever.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Uh oh....

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It does help us if we want to sign him for cheap for another prove it contract.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Uh oh....

Well this doesn't help.

Why was he pulling himself over in the first place?

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm guessing the officer flashed his lights as Hunt flew by him and we just can't see the lights.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It certainly doesn't sound good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Uh oh....

King John, baby!

Let's GOOOOOOOooooooo!

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
We had a great talent for a season for next to nothing. My how that sucks!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Played a ton too.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So now Dorsey called the plays? Keep reaching.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Nope. I was referring to the suspension.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You do realize you don't get paid for the games which you are under suspension, right?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You do realize you don't get paid for the games which you are under suspension, right?

What are you talking about? Nothing I've posted refers to what he was paid. Nothing. That's meaningless in this.

Try again.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
SMH.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What are you talking about? We got a very talented player for next to nothing who played for eight games. And that's a bad move by Dorsey why again?

Quote:
King John, baby!

Let's GOOOOOOOooooooo!

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
What are you talking about? We got a very talented player for next to nothing who played for eight games. And that's a bad move by Dorsey why again?

Quote:
King John, baby!

Let's GOOOOOOOooooooo!

Because it's another player that has mush for brains, whose value has now declined to the point where he had more value when he was ON suspension accrueing zero stats than the value he holds today. Even holding his rights as a restricted FA, whatever leverage we had to get something in return has possibly lessened.

But yea, just simply think about it in terms of 8 games and $1M. How about we try and think of a broader picture, shall we?

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Quote:
An Offseason Consideration- What To Do With Kareem Hunt?

I guess this was answered with the release of the video....

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
J/C

Quote:
An Offseason Consideration- What To Do With Kareem Hunt?

I guess this was answered with the release of the video....

Possibly.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you mean 665k. We got his talent for eight games on the cheap. He played in every game we knew he would be eligible for. The only thing you have to complain about now is we didn't get even more than that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hunt was active for 6 games.

Prior to this event, I would have said to put a 1st round tender on him. Now I would think more along the lines of a 3rd/4th.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hmm .. I could have sworn it was 10. Guess I was wrong.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Wow that TMZ report was kind of damning. I wonder if he will be suspended again.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
I agree, sign him to a 1st round tender. Try to sign him to an extension. With Hunt you extend Chubb’s career maybe 2, 3 years.

Frenchy...the only problem with your idea, while it makes a lot of sense from "a football stand point"....

...from the viewpoint of a Moneyballer, you "never pay" a player filling a backup role. MBers believe anyone can run the ball for 1300 yds as a rookie..nothing special about that..those type of RBs are a dime a dozen according to a MBer.

As for extending the career of Chubb, that consideration is not even on a MBers list.

Kind of sad, isn't it crazy

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

Do you have a link ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
O
Legend
Legend
O
TMZ video aside, Kareem Hunt (on the field)... isn't he the type of player that #analytics would WANT to bring onto the team?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
TMZ video aside, Kareem Hunt (on the field)... isn't he the type of player that #analytics would WANT to bring onto the team?

Usually data driven front offices are willing to take chances on players with off the field issues because their acquired for little compensation but can provide big upside.

With that said, you don't being any value when you can't play. And running backs are seen as highly fungible.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I could see not wanting to give him that next big contract, but we've got him for another year for super cheap.

So even if we get very little out of him, we paid even less to get him here. Let his latest run-ins sort itself out and then go from there. The decision on him doesn't happen for another year, imo.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
With that said, you don't being any value when you can't play. And running backs are seen as highly fungible.

Imagine that...some dude with an economics degree from Harvard and just 4 yrs of half-arsed experience in the NFL making decisions such as...determining Kareem Hunt's value according to some kind of football rule that he (Depodesta) made up.

A MBer rule declaring RBs like Hunt have little to no value in the NFL. RBs who run for 1300 yds as a rookie are easy to find in the draft, right?

Don't you love the way the Browns are going to roll, playing MB 2.0

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I could see not wanting to give him that next big contract, but we've got him for another year for super cheap.

So even if we get very little out of him, we paid even less to get him here. Let his latest run-ins sort itself out and then go from there. The decision on him doesn't happen for another year, imo.

My guess is that he will miss more games this year because of a suspension. I'd hold on to him until we find out how long he is going to be out. Nobody is giving anything up for him at this point.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Imagine that...some dude with an economics degree from Harvard and just 4 yrs of half-arsed experience in the NFL making decisions such as...determining Kareem Hunt's value according to some kind of football rule that he (Depodesta) made up.

A MBer rule declaring RBs like Hunt have little to no value in the NFL. RBs who run for 1300 yds as a rookie are easy to find in the draft, right?

Raheem Mostert says hello.

(Also, it's basically a general rule in the NFL that running backs are easily replaceable and not valued highly. Remember when everyone was making fun of Dave Gettleman for taking Saquon Barkley second even though he needed a QB?)

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Raheem Mostert says hello.

(Also, it's basically a general rule in the NFL that running backs are easily replaceable and not valued highly. Remember when everyone was making fun of Dave Gettleman for taking Saquon Barkley second even though he needed a QB?)

cf..so you are saying that the Browns Moneyballers have a history of recognizing and selecting highly talented RBs at the NFL level, right?

Just one problem CF...our Head Moneyballer had a chance to judge a player like Mosert himself, back in 2016, Depo's first season with the Browns.

OH WAIT...THAT "WAS RAHEEM MOSTERT" and DEPODESTA HAD A CHANCE TO SIGN HIM...

What did the Browns MBers do with Mostert?...THEY CUT HIM!

Those who lack the experience to recognize talent should not be allowed to make decisions such as which RBs the Browns sign to a contract.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum An Offseason Consideration- What To Do With Kareem Hunt?

Link Copied to Clipboard