M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Bye Kareem.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
rofl

Laugh all you want. I am enjoying this. rofl

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

No expectations.

Wish him the best of luck in his new position.

Maybe Kevin, Andrew, and Paul will make magic.

Young guys in the prime of life. All qualified.

A few more spots to fill on the staff then begin preparations for free agency and the draft.

Although we have experienced more regime change than any of us would like ya never know how it will turn out?

With Dorsey and Freddie most thought we were ready for prime time. The Networks put the Browns in a bunch of prime slots. We were not ready. In one of those games the 49'ers took our lunch money and kicked us around.

So we can complain about Haslam. Say we are cursed. And are forever doomed to fail.

Me. I don't know what we will do? There is talent. Mr. Baker Mayfield has to play better. We need some holes filled and guys return healthy.

But what we really need more than anything is to win. Winning changes everything. Let's everyone breath easier. Builds confidence. And leads to more winning.

So I wish Andrew Berry the best of luck and congratulate him on being the youngest GM in the NFL.

Make us a winner Andrew.

Legend
Legend
I wonder how that worked out?

They ruled the world for 1000 years. If our success is equal we'll win the next 20 Superbowls. tongue

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: FATE
I wonder how that worked out?

They ruled the world for 1000 years. If our success is equal we'll win the next 20 Superbowls. tongue

Right? Thank you.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Well ... back to Depo, Stefnski, and now Berry ......

I am unimpressed. Maybe they'll surprise me pleasantly .... then again ....Haslam is involved .... so they'll probably all be gone in a year or 2.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Color me unimpressed.
I wish I could garner the positivity that Charlie Robinson has,what is his story,but been there,seen this too many times.
Would it be out of line to call these guys the Geek Squad?

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
rofl

Laugh all you want. I am enjoying this. rofl

Oh I do understand that. First he didn't really want the job. Then his family didn't want to move. Now some Yahoo reporter on Twitter gives you option three. The ever evolving Paton story nobody has any real evidence of.

Why am I not surprised by that?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Now, give them time to do it right.

And STAY OUT THE WAY HASLAM! Go back to marketing and counting your money for ONCE! YOU need to focus on what YOU do best and let these guys do their job WITHOUT YOUR INTERFERENCE! For once, use that gray matter between your ears. PLEASE!

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Welcome back to Cleveland, Andrew Berry!

Now there can be no excuses for this team not being in playoffs in 2020.

The only question I have...will Depodesta and Haslam allow Berry to run the show...or is Andrew Berry just a figurehead?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac

LOL we have hired and fired so many people that we have to rehire the people who left or were fired.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some people refer to that as retreads. Some people try to act like that's a good thing.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Now there can be no excuses for this team not being in playoffs in 2020.

It'll be tough, Mac, given how the team regressed under Dorsey's command in his final year.

However, I believe the Nerds are up to the challenge!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
It'll be tough, Mac, given how the team regressed under Dorsey's command in his final year.

rofl

Yeah, things were so much better when Berry and Depo were part of the trifecta.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

LOL we have hired and fired so many people that we have to rehire the people who left or were fired.

superb...I didn't think of it that way, but now that you mention it...YOU ARE 100% CORRECT..LOL

The Browns didn't have any other candidates scheduled to interviewed, did they. It's not like Haslam had much of a choice...it had to be Andrew Berry.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Oh boy. That's not going to fit the narrative the Browns blew it and Paton rejected us.

Yep.

We wanted a 2nd with the guy because he was good. As the 2nd interview went on, it became clear we weren't as hot on Paton as some think. He pulled out out of the process because he got the feeling we weren't going to hire him.

Had we wanted to hire him and he pulled out because he didn't think we would hire him, somebody would have stepped in.

I think Paton pulled out because he found out he would be workinh for a baseball guy and a idiot owner. So we get Berry. Wasn't he the of the guys that led us 1-31. the head coach we wanted from NE pulled out when he found out how things were run around here

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm guessing (since that's all we really can do), but I bet there is a bit of truth to the story that Paton bowed out because he didn't think he was the #1 candidate. I also think that there's a little bit of 'recrafting the narrative' going on. I say that because I highly doubt a GM candidate that's as sought after as he supposedly is is going to be all gung-ho about coming from a safe environment into this dumpster (I love my Browns, but we are what we are).

I wanted Paton. I'm not pumped at all over bringing people back that were involved in the Corey Coleman, Kenny Britt, Kizer, etc offseasons. Those guys established that they're really good at getting high draft picks... not so much at putting together NFL-caliber rosters. Coaching had a hand in 1-31, but so did our rosters. Recording-setting sucking might've been part of the plan, but that's their legacy here in Cleveland, and I would rather get further away from that vs going back.

But hey... they all like each other, so that's cool.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
am extremely leery of this FO pairing. Berry was part of the regime that we went 1-31 under, a part of the regime that passed on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahommes….TWICE….EACH…..traded down selected Jabrill Peppers (a tweener with no real position) and David Njoku who was almost exclusively “Potential” selection that has done absolutely nothing, in which we passed on a number of players for. That list includes All Pro’s TJ Watt and Ryan Ramcyck taken in the same round directly after Njoku…..Then names like Dalvin Cook, Marcus Williams, JuJu Smith Schuster, Alvin Kamara etc.

That is terrifying. Absolutely abysmal.

Berry was VP of player personelle from 2016-2018.

So we ended up with Corey Coleman instead of Carson Wentz, Joey Bosa or Zeke Elliot.

Jabrill Peppers instead of the Mahommes or Watson.
Njoku instead of Watt or Ramcyck

2018 – Fired, Enter Jon Dorsey.

That is horrific. So, pardon my lack of enthusiasm.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Just to add another wrinkle to your rant... they traded down (effectively passing on all those QBs) to stockpile draft ammo to draft a QB.

Now, I'm of the belief that we no longer need to worry about getting said QB, but someone/some group that's that far off the mark... I dunno.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Just to add another wrinkle to your rant... they traded down (effectively passing on all those QBs) to stockpile draft ammo to draft a QB.

Now, I'm of the belief that we no longer need to worry about getting said QB, but someone/some group that's that far off the mark... I dunno.

Yeah, if you can't identify the potential in Mahommes and Watson (who I was really an advocate of) then all the picks in the world are meaningless. We were considering passing on Garret for frigging Trubustsky if the reports are true.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Andrew Berry was never fired. His contract was up and left for the Eagles job.

O
Legend
Legend
O
For me, it's not that they missed out all these guys at different positions. The real indictment is that they were hell-bent on getting a franchise QB in place and actively, specifically, passed on 3 guys that have been playing incredible ball straight out the gates.

I can even excuse passing on Watson, what with the whole running QB thing, but passing on the other two is simply inexcusable.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

IIRC, he was still under contract, but since he appeared to be blocked for a promotion here, the Eagles were allowed to interview and hire him for a higher position than he held here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

IIRC, he was still under contract, but since he appeared to be blocked for a promotion here, the Eagles were allowed to interview and hire him for a higher position than he held here.

Regardless, not being retained in the NFL is virtually the same thing as being fired.

Todd Haley's contract "Ran out" in Pitt, everyone knew they weren't bringing him back.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG

Yeah, if you can't identify the potential in Mahommes and Watson (who I was really an advocate of) then all the picks in the world are meaningless. We were considering passing on Garret for frigging Trubustsky if the reports are true.

Now we are holding things that we "almost did" against people?

Also, if we are going off rumors then there were rumors that we were going to take Mahomes before the Chiefs jumped us for him.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Now we are holding things that we "almost did" against people?

Also, if we are going off rumors then there were rumors that we were going to take Mahomes before the Chiefs jumped us for him.

Was that meant to give them some sort of credit? If anything, you thought the guy was that good and got cute, ended up missing on probably the best player in the NFL for Jabrill Peppers. If you were trying to give them some credit for that, it just put an underline under how idiotic the strategy was.

All other teams: Trade up for franchise QB.
Browns: lets wait and see if he falls to us with our second pick.

Legend
Legend

The record shows in archives I was a giant Wentz guy. Wanted him in the worst way.

Mahomes. I made a case as to why we should take him. But to be fair hindsight is easy pickings.

Wentz as a prospect was no slam dunk.

Mahomes was a real question mark. He was all over the place as a prospect.

Many GM's have failed on picks. It is far from an exact science. Moneyball or not.

Time has passed and times have changes.

I don't believe we can look at "our new management team" and forecast failure based upon selected past events.

We don't have a clue as to how much actual power Berry had at that time or how he viewed players then.

Now the recipe is different. Different players. Different decision makers.

Between now and the first game we can access the events that will have taken place. But what will we actually know?

Not a thing. We can grade the draft. Useless. We can talk about what free agents were signed and which ones were let walk. So what.

We know something when they play games that count.

Come September we start the season 0-0. After that we find out.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Just win football games.

My excitement about any of this is non existent.

Don't really care what the names are.

Just win football games.

With Haslam it will be extremely difficult.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
am extremely leery of this FO pairing. Berry was part of the regime that we went 1-31 under, a part of the regime that passed on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahommes….TWICE….EACH…..traded down selected Jabrill Peppers (a tweener with no real position) and David Njoku who was almost exclusively “Potential” selection that has done absolutely nothing, in which we passed on a number of players for. That list includes All Pro’s TJ Watt and Ryan Ramcyck taken in the same round directly after Njoku…..Then names like Dalvin Cook, Marcus Williams, JuJu Smith Schuster, Alvin Kamara etc.

That is terrifying. Absolutely abysmal.

Berry was VP of player personelle from 2016-2018.

So we ended up with Corey Coleman instead of Carson Wentz, Joey Bosa or Zeke Elliot.

Jabrill Peppers instead of the Mahommes or Watson.
Njoku instead of Watt or Ramcyck

2018 – Fired, Enter Jon Dorsey.

That is horrific. So, pardon my lack of enthusiasm.

So tell us, Oh wise one.

How much influence did Berry have on ANY PICK WHILE HE WAS HERE?

NOONE has a clue what his responsibility was during that time.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Well ... back to Depo, Stefnski, and now Berry ......

I am unimpressed. Maybe they'll surprise me pleasantly .... then again ....Haslam is involved .... so they'll probably all be gone in a year or 2.

Why are you unimpressed? Your aside about Haslam doesn't answer the question.

I myself am very impressed. Stefanski was a riser in the coaching ranks. Berry is well regarded all around the league as a top evaluator. Depo is held in high esteem doing what he does to support the other two.

Is it going to work? Only time tells that. We thought that Holmgren riding around on his golf cart was going to change things.

I think we have 3 bright, energetic guys who are good at what they do.

I don't think you can ask for anything more than that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
For the record we never passed on Mahomes twice.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And I still don't think Watson is as good as a lot of people think he is.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yey, the boys are back in town! Yey....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I believe he was still under contract but rather left for a promotion.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Berry wasn't fired. He left when John came in because he knew Jon wasn't going to value his opinion after bringing in Wolf and Hightower.

Depo didn't leave because he could do his thing from anywhere in the world. He didn't need to be in Cleveland all the time, dealing with the Dorse.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand some of the skepticism, but I have been rooting for this team for 56 years and all I want is another winner, so I have to hope this is the time we get it right. Haslem has made many many mistakes and my hope is he has finally seen the light, I really like what I see and hear in Stefanski, we do have a talented roster and my hope is Berry and Depo do NOT clean house to the point of where we have to start over which I don't see happening. If and that is a BIG if, then we fill some holes during FA with some top talent (OL, S, LB, and TE) that we can finish the job through the draft and then start winning again as I remember as a child and as a young man. So My hope is that Haslem finally has gotten things right because I'm NOT getting any younger. GO BROWNS thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Official Cleveland Fan Press Statement upon learning of this hire:

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Actually, Berry was here with Dorsey the entire 2018 season. He left a year ago for promotion with the Eagles.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Actually, Berry was here with Dorsey the entire 2018 season. He left a year ago for promotion with the Eagles.

Cool....probably because he felt like a brown shoe at a black tie affair.

Old joke, but it applies.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns hire Andrew Berry as GM and EVP of football operations

Link Copied to Clipboard