Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

I think, while painful, this is an important step in the process. You can't have a high level executive be around and not be on the same page as his bosses. In the past we have kept around people when we probably shouldn't have. For example, we probably should have fired Paul DePodesta when we hired John Dorsey. We didn't and it created divisions in the organization. Get everyone on the same page.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
The point is we were "right there" and Dorsey failed. With everything he had to work with, he couldn't build a winning team and there are some people who think he did a good job.

He chose the wrong coach and sounds like wasn't exactly respectful of those he worked with.

A different coach and he's probably still here.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The point is we were "right there" and Dorsey failed. With everything he had to work with, he couldn't build a winning team and there are some people who think he did a good job.

He chose the wrong coach and sounds like wasn't exactly respectful of those he worked with.

Or the same coach that we currently have.

Legend
Legend
I'm a little surprised about these guys being gone..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I'm a little surprised about these guys being gone..

You should not be surprised.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Sashi,Depo and Berry led us to 1-31.And there are some people(Haslam is one)that think they did a good job.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie

Sashi,Depo and Berry led us to 1-31.And there are some people(Haslam is one)that think they did a good job.

The space bar is your friend.

You forgot Hue.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
You don't have a clue.

Actually none of us do including you. This could be a great thing or a failure of epic proportions.

To act as if there isn't two sides to this coin and it could land either way is preposterous.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
He did a good job in certain areas, and an awful, fireable job in one particular area.

But because of his HC hire, he's also a terrible talent evaluator, which I think is ridiculous (at least, that's how I read some of the opinions on here). And those same people are lauding the re-arrival of someone that had a part in overseeing the construction of the record-settingly terrible roster we had when Dorsey took over.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B

At least you're honest, Alonzo. But we all know nobody on this ship is a "title guy." wink

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I've been to the space bar,way too fancy and not my crowd.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You can rack up a lot of frequent flier miles commuting from San diego to Cleveland and back. Over 2000 miles each way.

I seriously doubt the Browns are paying for him to get to work and back any more then they pay any other employee.

Really? When I was younger I traveled a lot for work. I always had an allowance for travel expenses and per diem. Besides, I never said anything about that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I think people might be quick-reading over the word "fix" in that quote. Jake isn't claiming that JD didn't do anything of value...it means he botched a lot of assets because he didn't do enough with those assets...and Jake is right.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
And those same people are lauding the re-arrival of someone that had a part in overseeing the construction of the record-settingly terrible roster we had when Dorsey took over.

Just to be clear, I think John Dorsey is a good talent evaluator (although somewhat overrated). I also think the reason was fired because he was not open to new ideas and lacked interpersonal skills.

I am happy about Andrew Berry being hired because I think it gives the team to be on the same page for the first time in a long time and because I think data should be used more in almost every aspect of life and that includes football. More information is better than less information.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Lol...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

HUE! Hue led us to 1-31. HUE! HUE! HUE!

Why is this so hard?

C
Legend
Legend
C
j/c...

Lol...

No comment.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Quite possibly. But we were destined to fail with Dorsey as GM. We should all be grateful Haslam pulled the plug.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:

Why is this so hard?

Because it was a group effort.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I didn't really get the point of the Jake Burns post either. It seems like he didn't think it through.

I agree. No one was complaining about a lack of talent last year.

It was more general incompetence.

Except at the tackle spots, and RG, and along the DLine, and Linebacker, and Safety, and even TE or that we didn't have a FB, or that the talent we did get wasn't performing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Haslam is clueless. This is the main reason why the Browns continue to suck. Yes, it is that easy to explain.

Last edited by The Beast; 01/29/20 02:22 PM.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I don't have a clue, you said they will retain the scouts, yet the head of the college scouting department was just canned. . . . hmmmm

We don't need him now. That position is more administrative. He is over the scouts. I would suspect either Berry is going to hire someone or he may take on that role for the time being.

From what I understand many of the scouts on staff were hired by Berry the last time he was here. Most of them are probably already back in the building, filing their last reports from bowl season. Now they prepare for the combine.

It's not like we don't have scouts and don't have the information they have gathered in house. Also, it not like Berry is totally void of what the Eagles scouts were saying about players.

Calm down, it will be ok...really.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. That was his big mistake. I think he would still be here had he accepted that Haslam wasn't going to allow him to be the only voice on hiring the next coach.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: The Beast

Haslam is clueless. This is the main reason why the Browns continue to suck. Yes, it is that easy to explain.

I don't doubt, actually, that this is really a part of it, but I don't think it is as derogatory as people make it out to be. I don't know that "clueless" is the right word, but it definitely isn't his area of expertise which means he has to find people to lean on in order to build this and put the right people in the right place.... and as we saw all too clearly with The Walrus, listening to and trusting the wrong person can set you back years. In business, you get 90-day reviews and can see how people are working out by the 6-month mark. It doesn't flow that way in football unless they're REALLY bad.... you gotta wait for the next season to see how things roll. It all just takes more time and you're a slave to the annual NFL schedule in evaluating your people.

IF listening to DePo proves to be the sound bit of advice he's been missing along with *FINALLY* getting universal buy-in all around on what we're doing during the actual setup of things, then we could well *FINALLY* be starting down the correct path.
The part that sucks is above: we're slaved to the NFL's annual schedule, so we won't know the answers to any of this for months upon months, and if things go awry yet again, part of the pain will be for him, and Dee, and whomever else, to find out Who, What, Where, Why, and How it all went wrong and then HOPEFULLY get it right the next time.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
-- Will Rogers

"Experience is that thing you get right after you needed it."
-- Steven Wright

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
You can rack up a lot of frequent flier miles commuting from San diego to Cleveland and back. Over 2000 miles each way.

I seriously doubt the Browns are paying for him to get to work and back any more then they pay any other employee.

Really? When I was younger I traveled a lot for work. I always had an allowance for travel expenses and per diem. Besides, I never said anything about that.

That is different if your company is sending you to do a job. Depo chooses to live in SD because of his business, thus he chooses to pay when he is required in Cleveland.

I brought it up because you have referenced frequent flyer miles several times. If I read too much in to it, my bad, but it read like you have some sort of problem with that. I mean, why would you care?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I didn't really get the point of the Jake Burns post either. It seems like he didn't think it through.

I agree. No one was complaining about a lack of talent last year.

It was more general incompetence.

Except at the tackle spots, and RG, and along the DLine, and Linebacker, and Safety, and even TE or that we didn't have a FB, or that the talent we did get wasn't performing.

J/C .....Most teams don't carry a FB on their roster, often preferring an extra TE. We lost our starting TE at the start of the tear, and for some reason, didn't play him when he returned from IR.

At S .... how many did we go through? It was a lot.

At LB, we counted on Kirksey, and again he got hurt. We did draft a pair of LB, but they were not really ready to be full time contributors. They might develop, or they might just as easily be gone in the coming purge. (version 9.3, or something)

The OL was a mess. Dorsey was almost certainly counting on having Corbett step in there, but he proved to be completely incapable of taking the job.

I cannot agree that the talent we got was not performing. Landry had a career year last year. Our CB depth was outstanding when both Ward and Greedy were hurt. Even our S depth was decent .... even when we were down to starting a guy signed off the street.

This team was awful for 2 straight years. The team had a ton of holes. Did Dorsey fill them all in his 2 seasons as GM? No. Could he have? Maybe if he had a legitimate magic wand. He plugged holes with the best players he could acquire, that fit the scheme, cost, and budget.

I am curious to see what happens to the roster this off-season. I suspect it won't be pretty, and we'll be looking at less than 5 wins in 2020.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I highly doubt that depo would have negotiated his travel into his contract. If he didn't, I would feel a lot worse about him than I already do. smile

P
Legend
Legend
P

I brought it up because you have referenced frequent flyer miles several times. If I read too much in to it, my bad,

Frequent flier miles are just a rewards program you recieve that is based on the amount of miles you fly.

Quote:
but it read like you have some sort of problem with that. I mean, why would you care?

I just have fun with it. The guy will be having meetings with Haslam weekly according to the reports from the team. Yet he lives in San Diego. That would require a round trip flight every week would it not?

For a numbers guy I wonder how he thinks that's an efficient use of time management?

wink

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm not questioning that there aren't reasons behind all of it; I'm just reciting things that people griped about with our talent all season long.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
So much for the scouts staying huh?

Goodness - this is starting to go just like a lot of people anticipated.

So on top of being 32 year old GM, with no experience, having to deal with Kareem, Odell, egos, 1st year HC, pushy owner, starved fanbase, morbid history, 0 culture, having multiple coaching positions to fill, etc. Berry can add having to hire a start at square one with building a scouting department before the draft. . . . [/quote]

same as it ever was.... same as it ever was.... same as it ever was....

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'm not questioning that there aren't reasons behind all of it; I'm just reciting things that people griped about with our talent all season long.

I think most of those complaints began as the injuries started mounting up and the losing continued. Before the season began, for the most part, people were raving about the talent and how we were playoff bound.

how quickly the mood changed.

A quick look back at the preseason prediction thread would point that out.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: The Beast

The main reason Haslam has been terrible is that he listened to "football guys" who told him he needed more "football guys." Unfortunately what he really needed was someone who was good at managing "football guys" which most "football guys" aren't because they are generally hyper-competitive and self important. We never had one team. We had dictators (often competing) with cowed subjects and a good bit of underground resistance.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

Why is this so hard?

spin away, but the only people who crowed about tearing the Browns to the studs were Depodesta and Sashi.

The Browns low point in franchise history, the 1-31 record, will forever be linked to the Moneyball boys and no one else.

The GM provides the talent, then it is up to the coach to try to develop a team with the talent provided.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
The main reason Haslam has been terrible is that he listened to "football guys" who told him he needed more "football guys."

Yet oddly enough, it's Depodesta who is still here going into the third regime change since he was hired. But let's not let facts get in the way.

Carry on.......

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

Here is the scouting department that remains in place:

Mike Cetta - Director of Scouting
Dan Saganey - Director Pro Scouting
Glenn Cook - Assistant Director Scouting
Jimmy Noel - Assistant Director Pro Scouting
Adam Al-Khayyal - Scout
Zach Ayers - Scout
Colton Chapple - Scout
Sam DeLuca - Scout
Matt Donahoe - Scout
Gerald McCully - Scout
Max Paulus - Scout
Brad DeAngelis - Manager Football Information Systems
Scott DiBenedetto - Scouting Assistant
Tosan Eyetsemitan - Scouting Assistant
Branden Francis - Scouting Assistant
Tyler Hamblin - Scouting Assistant
Andrew Healy - Senior Strategist Player Personnel
Dave Giuliani - Senior Analyst Coaching and Personnel
Aditya Krishnan - Football Research Analyst
Dax Nollenberger - Scouting Assistant
Thomas Pack - Scouting Assistant
Michael Romanella - Scouting Assistant
Scott Skuteris - Scouting Assistant
Zach Wigmore - Scouting Assistant

Departed from the Personnel and Scouting Department:

Alonzo Highsmith - VP of Player Personnel

Steve Malin - Director of College Scouting (Dorsey guy)

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac

The Browns low point in franchise history, the 1-31 record, will forever be linked to the Moneyball boys and no one else.

Interesting, then why is Hue the one hawking tequilia at local grocery and liquor stores and willingly making a fool of himself on Cameo for $60?

M
Legend
Legend
M
There is a Giuliani on staff?!

I am deceased.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
DEPODESTA is running this team...no one else.
Stafanski and Andy Berry are nothing but yes men for Depodessta.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
The main reason Haslam has been terrible is that he listened to "football guys" who told him he needed more "football guys."
Haslam is terrible because Haslam cant stick to a plan when it theres a few bumps. The problem with Haslam is he doesn't know what he wants - and is quick to change.

Im gonna let you in on a secret - the Data guys were on a course, we might have actually won had we stayed on it. Then, we went on another course (Dorsey), we may have won by staying on it. Now we are on another course (this new guys) and we will have to wait and see.

Hue and Freddie needed to go - ill give him that.

But he needed to stick either with the data guys. He didn't, he then needed to stick with Dorsey, he didn't. He now is back to the data guys - see a pattern?

What he needs is to give SOMEONE more than 5 min to build their vision. If at that time its not working - then you "blow it up".

B
Legend
Legend
B

I brought it up because you have referenced frequent flyer miles several times. If I read too much in to it, my bad,

Frequent flier miles are just a rewards program you recieve that is based on the amount of miles you fly.

Quote:
but it read like you have some sort of problem with that. I mean, why would you care?

I just have fun with it. The guy will be having meetings with Haslam weekly according to the reports from the team. Yet he lives in San Diego. That would require a round trip flight every week would it not?

For a numbers guy I wonder how he thinks that's an efficient use of time management?

wink

Pit, I know what frequent flyer miles are. Really? I have enough for several trips to Hawaii....like 5-6.....maybe 12 to Paris. That's for the both of us.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Highsmith and Wolf Are Out

Link Copied to Clipboard