Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
My point was simply that there are guys here on this site doing mock drafts year in and year out that do as well or better than many of the so-called professionals, and they do it with nothing but whatever junk information they find on the internet from the exact people that tweet mentioned.

Regardless of who it is, it smacks of being a troll account... be it affiliated or unaffiliated with anyone connected to Sashi, it seems to be an account with the sole purpose of triggering people that are easily triggered on that topic smile

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
My point was simply that there are guys here on this site doing mock drafts year in and year out that do as well or better than many of the so-called professionals, and they do it with nothing but whatever junk information they find on the internet from the exact people that tweet mentioned.

To an extent, yes. Though there's always the issue of draftniks picking players in their mock drafts that go to other teams, and then retroactively thinking those players' success with other teams would have necessarily happened with the Browns. I think that is a mistaken assumption in the first place, due to the effect of coaching, scheme, culture, etc etc etc. on a player's development.

Also the Browns have been so bad at this, collectively over the last twenty years, it wouldn't surprise me if draftniks could do better than this team even if you could somehow adjust for the above. However, being better than the worst in the league doesn't mean they'd do better than the good teams, which is really what counts.

Quote:
Regardless of who it is, it smacks of being a troll account... be it affiliated or unaffiliated with anyone connected to Sashi, it seems to be an account with the sole purpose of triggering people that are easily triggered on that topic smile

Lol, yes, I can go with that.

Whoever it is, that person is *very* dedicated to that topic and, in my opinion, has an obvious agenda.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Haus
Whoever it is, that person is *very* dedicated to that topic and, in my opinion, has an obvious agenda.

Mac's evil twin!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c:

A quick Google search shows that the guy is an 80 year old, award winning Ivy League professor and philosopher. Graduated from Princeton and works at MIT and Columbia University.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
J/c:

A quick Google search shows that the guy is an 80 year old, award winning Ivy League professor and philosopher. Graduated from Princeton and works at MIT and Columbia University.

so, Sashi's grandpa?

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I don't think it will over rule anything. It will simply help the people making the picks or calling the plays be more informed.

It's a tool just as video tape is a tool.
But the fact is it has.

The fact we have fired guys for not listening to the data says it WILL over rule things.

If your Stefanski, and you disagree with the data on something - guess what, you better go with the data or youll be shown the door. That's the precedent that has now been set.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I don't think it will over rule anything. It will simply help the people making the picks or calling the plays be more informed.

It's a tool just as video tape is a tool.
But the fact is it has.

The fact we have fired guys for not listening to the data says it WILL over rule things.

If your Stefanski, and you disagree with the data on something - guess what, you better go with the data or youll be shown the door. That's the precedent that has now been set.

No, we'll fire guys if they ignore data. I.e, throwing Depo's binders in the trash without even opening them.

Data should influence decisions. It doesn't make them.

Dorsey's insistence on effectively working with one hand tied behind his back was idiotic. Just because you don't know how to use a program, doesn't mean it can't help you if you figure it out. Dorsey was the old dog that refused to learn new tricks.

Data doesn't tell you what to do. You decide what to do with the data. Pretending the data doesn't exist is a road to being Blockbuster video.

Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Too harsh on me .on here ... *L* ...

I appreciate the concern .... but u don’t have to worry about me being offended ... I’ve been called everything on here ... in one ear and out the other ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c:

so, Sashi's grandpa?

In spirit it would seem.

It might not even be the same Robert Stalnaker, but it seemed like a fairly unusual name and the pieces seemed to fit.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P

Old school. Cool, so am I.

Old school doesn't work anymore.

Yeah the Titans suck!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
They lost. It didn't work.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wasn't unfair. I was just commenting on your tool analogy. You made a point, I made a counterpoint. I wasn't disagreeing with your point.

I think you were twisting everything he said.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

Yet John Lynch and Shanahan are in the SB. Old school Andy Reid is in the SB.

I suppose that didn't work either.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
J/c:

I saw that. Side note: MIT is in Cambridge, MA. Cambridge is a suburb of Boston, which is where Sashi was born. The plot thickens! *play sinister music here*

Seriously though, I don't think the above matters at all. It's probably a different Robert Stalnaker or an alias (my money is on 'alias'). Though maybe it is that 80 year old professor/philosopher from MIT. Why he'd be so dedicated to posting about the Browns and how horrible everybody except Sashi/DePo/Berry has been in the Browns organization is up for debate.

I'll just chalk it up to the account belonging to a very, very dedicated Sashi fan while acknowledging the possibility that it could potentially be someone close to him or one of the analytics crew.

B
Legend
Legend
B

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Now you're trying to twist his thoughts. No fair, 'Peen.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P

That's the difference between us. I think analytics is a great tool. I'm just not as thrilled with a staff that has never had experience in their previous positions who rely too heavily on it. I'd say every team uses them.

Yet it appears that some people actually in the loop feel we will rely too heavily on analytics. There's a difference.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's the difference between us. I think analytics is a great tool. I'm just not as thrilled with a staff that has never had experience in their previous positions who rely too heavily on it. I'd say every team uses them.

Yet it appears that some people actually in the loop feel we will rely too heavily on analytics. There's a difference.

What is too heavily on analytics? Letting an algorithm determine signings and draft picks? I don't know the answer. I do know that we have examples in other sports of data being used a ton and it works.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would say to the extent that a great HC candidate pulls his name and a very highly respected football mind can't be convinced into staying here may be a clue.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
I wouldn't want to work for the Haslams either!

(Are you talking about Matt Rhule? Also, we know nothing of the Paton situation other than what reporters have said and both sides have been presented.)

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/30/20 02:11 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It was publicly stated that the Browns wanted to keep Wolf. It was also publicly stated that Paton withdrew his name from the HC job.

There was certainly something that appeared wrong here and even Wolf's dad talked about it being analytics being too heavily used.

I know, ten division titles and three SB rings means the Wolf family knows nothing.

Carry on......

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
It was also publicly stated that Paton withdrew his name from the HC job.

Whoa. Things are even worse than we know.

There was certainly something that appeared wrong here and even Wolf's dad talked about it being analytics being too heavily used.

If we are pissing of the 81 year old ex-front office people then we are doing something right in my book.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah he just made that up without talking to his son about what's going on here. Andy Reid is 61. How old does a person have to be before we would need to do something to piss them off?

See you're ignoring the fact that his son has told him what's going on here. But that's okay. i know you have an opinion to bolster.

wink

#gmstrong
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
“When something goes wrong, who takes responsibility?” Ron Wolf said. “Their answer: ‘Well, that’s what the data told us.’ What a crock. That’s what got ’em 1-31 [from 2016-17].”

"Well, that's what the data told us"

I can't believe anyone would say something like the above quote and use it as an excuse for screwing up. Just a guess, but I can think of only one person that might say something like that.

NFL fans have to laughing like hell at what the Browns have once again become and the lame, canned excuses Haslam and his numbers boys plan to use when their analytics fail them.

One serious concern I have..will the Browns locker room buy into another attempt at Moneyball?

Many of our players have already lived through Depodesta's first attempt at Moneyball...a 2 season trial run that produced 1 win. I seriously doubt there is one player in the Browns locker room that expects Moneyball 2.0 to work.

How many of our players that know what farce Moneyball is ARE GOING WANT OUT OF CLEVELAND, ASAP.

Two drinks!!

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Anyone believe that Myles Garrett is going to buy into the Moneyball 2.0 scheme?

After experiencing Moneyball 1.0 at it's worst, 0-16 in 2017...I have my doubts that Myles is planning on buying a new house in the Cleveland area.

The Browns can franchise him or do anything they want to try to keep Myles in Cleveland...but Haslam and Depodesta cannot make Myles put out for a loser.

Bitonio is already on record about playing for a loser...he expects Haslam to backup his talk with wins on the field.

Odell Beckham is going want out now, not wanting to play his career for a loser like Haslam and Depodesta.

No doubt, THE PRESSURE IS ON...LIKE NEVER BEFORE...Depodesta and Haslam must produce wins on the field that lead to the Browns into the playoffs in 2020.

Failure to win this year will set the franchise back 10 yrs or until someone forces the Haslams to return to Tenn.

Two drinks!!

Legend
Legend
I'm glad I got sober.... this site would be KILLING me lately.

Browns is the Browns

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I understand that you are having fun at Mac's expense here,but he raise's a valid point.
Just how much respect are these data guys going to get from the players?
They are all raw,green and one of them doesn't even reside in Cleveland.
Oh well,the 2020 Browns will look good on paper.The field will be a whole other story.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend

"well, that's what my eye told me"

"well, I know what my eyes tell me"

<Scouts taking accountability for every failed player they're responsible for>

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yet John Lynch and Shanahan are in the SB. Old school Andy Reid is in the SB.

I suppose that didn't work either.

I'm having a hard time seeing Andy Reid as Old School.

One thing that surprised me when researching Saleh was how tech savvy he apparently is.

Adapt or die.

Those that have sustained success do it. Those that don't... were with the Browns.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
I understand that you are having fun at Mac's expense here,but he raise's a valid point.
Just how much respect are these data guys going to get from the players?
They are all raw,green and one of them doesn't even reside in Cleveland.
Oh well,the 2020 Browns will look good on paper.The field will be a whole other story.

It'll be interesting to see what the Vegas over/under pings us as. I believe last year it was only at 9, despite what preseason expectations were.

The over/under isn't perfect, but then again, biased/emotional fan predictions aren't either. smile

I'm thinking 7 or 7.5 range. I'd take the under.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Who is in the loop? Wolf? He was in the loop in his day. It's a different day.

Talk to me properly, I'll talk to you properly. I consider you a friend. This is a start.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

"well, that's what my eye told me"

"well, I know what my eyes tell me"

<Scouts taking accountability for every failed player they're responsible for>

Exactly. There is no fool proof way. My eyes told me this, the numbers told me this....it takes both in todays football.

You best look at it from every angle possible to make a informed decision. It still doesn't mean it will work. The unknown is always going to be there.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P

Talk to me properly, I'll talk to you properly. I consider you a friend. This is a start.

So you don't think he talked to his son about what's going on here? The team wanted Eliot to stay. He refused to. Now how did his dad form his opinion of what's going on here?

I think one would have to admit that his dad based everything he said on what he was told by his son. That's what I meant by in the loop.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
saywhat

B
Legend
Legend
B

So you don't think he talked to his son about what's going on here? The team wanted Eliot to stay. He refused to. Now how did his dad form his opinion of what's going on here?

I think one would have to admit that his dad based everything he said on what he was told by his son. That's what I meant by in the loop.

I don't doubt that. He was a Dorsey hire. New guys come in and want their guys around. I feel confident that Haslam put in a word, but he can't get any credit.

Elliott couldn't take the position being offered. Plus we don't know Elliots attitude towards Berry, who Haslam wanted to keep.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If Haslam wanted Eliot Wolf, he would be here.

P
Legend
Legend
P
How do you know any of that? What we know is the Browns wanted to keep Eliot. He refused to stay. We know his dad then spoke out about analytics running things here.

We have no clue if he would have been kept at his current position or offered a different position. And you're right, we have no clue how he felt about Berry. But why would the Browns have tried to keep him if he wouldn't get along with Berry? Isn't that the exact opposite of what they said they would be doing with the people retained and hired? Make sure they would get along?

See, this is why we have communication problems surrounding this. I state what we do know. You try to fill in the blanks with pure conjecture.

It simply doesn't make sense that they would try to keep Eliot if they didn't have faith that he and Berry would get along. That doesn't make any sense.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
It simply doesn't make sense that they would try to keep Eliot if they didn't have faith that he and Berry would get along. That doesn't make any sense.

One of the major factors not being discussed is what position were the Browns gonna offer to Wolf to keep him?

If contract are poorly written leaving loop holes like the lack of a specific job title that nails down exactly what the individual is being hired for, the Browns likely offered Wolf a crap job if he wanted to stay...thus forcing him out.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cont...Football guys did half the job, now it's up to numbers boys to finish the job...

Link Copied to Clipboard