Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Your a pit bull ... i do it for fun ... almost all the time but not in regards to WSU ... i never saw his coming from him ... I’m not sure he is one ... this may be more about how far off base he is with KJ instead ... wink

Hi Willie ... thumbsup

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Schwartz signed on March 9, 2016 ..... the day free agency opened. There was no sudden market shift in the value of Tackles. Sashi played his games before free agency opened, and it cost him a Pro Bowl, All Pro Right Tackle.

How costly have some of the mistakes the Moneyballers made ..?

It's coming on 8 yrs since the Moneyballers failed sign Schwartz and the franchise continues to struggle in an attempt to find someone as good as Schwartz was at RT.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac

It's coming on 8 yrs since the Moneyballers failed sign Schwartz and the franchise continues to struggle in an attempt to find someone as good as Schwartz was at RT.

Exaggerate much?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Do you have trouble facing reality?

The Browns are what their record says they are!

Legend
Legend
Do you have trouble facing reality?

The Browns are what their record says they are!

Reality is that it's not been 8 years since "the moneyballers" failed to sign MS.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
4 years, 8 years, same idea right?

Next month it will be 16 years since we let Schwartz walk. 32 years later and this Moneyball approach still isn't working, says mac.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
It sure appears that Cleveland Browns fans are not buying into the Haslams latest management scheme...

Does Browns trio Kevin Stefanski, Andrew Berry, Paul DePodesta give you confidence? (poll)

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com 2 days ago
L

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Dee and Jimmy Haslam wanted alignment. With Kevin Stefanski, Andrew Berry and Paul DePodesta in place, they’re about to find out if they have it.

Berry was hired Tuesday as the GM/VP of football operations, the final prong of the trio the Haslams hope are all on the same page and ready to lead the Browns to success.

Stefanski, the new head coach, DePodesta, the chief strategy officer, and Berry, all Ivy League products, will report directly to the Haslams. While DePodesta’s role will remain the same as it has since 2016, according to Jimmy Haslam, Stefanski is a first-year head coach, and Berry, 32, becomes the youngest GM in the league.

Now that the Browns have a coach and GM in place, are you confident about 2020 and beyond?

Check out the poll below and let us know what you think.

Does Browns trio Kevin Stefanski, Andrew Berry, Paul DePodesta give you confidence? (poll)

YES = 17.66% (1277 votes)

NOT SURE = 27.09% (1959 votes)

NO = 55.25% (3996 votes)

7,232 total votes

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
All joking aside, I'm also very skeptical of this current arrangement. I'd vote 'no' on that poll, if I actually cared enough to click the link and vote on it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Maybe Mitchell just wisely decided he'd rather take less money than ever play a down for Hue Jackson.

Sashi had two drafts to replace Schwartz. I'm guessing they liked Tunsil in 2016, but he had that crazy video with the gas mask and weed show up on draft day.

No OT drafted after the first round that year has really lit the league on fire as far as I could tell.

In the only other draft he had we took Myles. Should he have taken an OT number 1 instead? He brought in Pasztor that off-season who probably gave us more bang for the buck than anyone Dorsey brought in on the OL.

Sashi brought in Zeitler and Tretter. He re-signed Bitonio.

All Dorsey did was bring in Robinson, overpay Hubbard, and waste a prime draft pick on Corbett. Traded a couple picks for Teller after Kush, McCray and other people he brought in failed to replace the stud RG he traded away.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
New Browns Kevin Stefanski has hired Callie Brownson as his Chief of Staff -- I believe this is the first time a woman has been hired for this NFL role. Brownson recently worked as intern in Buffalo, and was previously an asst coach at Dartmouth.

https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/status/1223298590199644161

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Your maybe's are pretty far fetched.

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's why I put it in purple.

You conveniently ignore the facts I was serious about.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Nice move by Stefanski.

This Sunday, as part of Kyle Shanahan's staff, the first female will be coaching in the Super Bowl.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
NO,Please God NO!

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
NO,Please God NO!

I'm guessing she's played more football and at a higher level than you. Do some research.

A couple national championships and a couple international medals.

She's done a scouting internship in the NFL.

She's coached in the Ivy league.

Time to let go of the chauvinism.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
New Browns Kevin Stefanski has hired Callie Brownson as his Chief of Staff

What does this have to do with Berry ? Isn't this a HC hire ?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
while your slurping up the kool-aid,think of this,it's a PR stunt,plain and simple.
Analytics says the LBGT community will support the Browns if we have a female on staff.
They called in Kevin Fancypantski and told him to hire a chick,or go back to Minny.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
while your slurping up the kool-aid,think of this,it's a PR stunt,plain and simple.
Analytics says the LBGT community will support the Browns if we have a female on staff.
They called in Kevin Fancypantski and told him to hire a chick,or go back to Minny.

Football Guy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Opinions are not facts. An anomaly is not a constant.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

youngest daughter falls under your Label... She has loved the Cleveland Browns since she was old enough to know football..She also loves going to the games and cheering for the Browns. She was at the Thursday night game in the cold dark night cheering for the Browns the night they beat the Steelers.

She didn't care about the all male coaching staff... And Hiring Callie is about opportunity for a PERSON to show what they have to offer..

Quote:

a Chick ? She's a coach...show some respect

P
Legend
Legend
P
She's coached in the Ivy league.

They can start their own Ivy league fraternity now! I mean there's enough of them.

Not saying that's a bad thing but it's starting to look like a prerequisite for being hired by the Browns now.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
She has more football experience than Depodesta has.

Haslam is desperate for some positive headlines...and sure enough, front page on the Browns webpage.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Didn’t know u were a sashiette ... wow ... I’m shocked ...

I'm not bro....don't sweat it. He was imminently unqualified for the role he took on after Farmer flamed out. He failed in some areas - most vividly Schwartz which I noted - and did his duty in other areas in gaining draft and salary cap capital.

Here's my deal: My thing with SB is that I am never too hard on any person who takes on an assignment that they simply/clearly aren't qualified to perform. The real 'fault' lies with the person who put 'that guy' in that position/spot to begin with.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'll add that SB's graciousness while here, at his departure and even today paint a picture of a pretty good guy who tried to make the best of a bad situation. JMO

D
Legend
Legend
D
Agree 10000000 % ... i never blamed Sashi ... and your right ... 1000000000 % class ...

The head of this snake is extremely extremely rotten ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Opinions are not facts. An anomaly is not a constant.

Which GM made which transaction seems is pretty factual.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Didn’t know u were a sashiette ... wow ... I’m shocked ...

Peen said we should let it go. I wonder where he's at now? wink

What are you talking about? I am starting to dislike you. You are starting to sound like a 12 year. Go play with them.

You want to talk to me, talk to me like a man. Not some trivial post in a middle of a thread

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

I've taken some time to consider whether Andrew Berry is going to be the kind of GM the Browns need.

First, he is young and inexperienced so there is no previous track record as GM to judge him.

Berry needs to understand that he could end up being nothing more than a figurehead as the Browns GM if he allows Haslam and Depodesta to intrude into his area of responsibility.

Being as young and inexperienced as Berry is, it's very likely that he will allow Haslam and Depo to interfere in an effort to keep his bosses happy.

If Berry allows that to happen, the Browns end up with 3 GMs but only one will be blamed if a bad personnel move is made.

Berry seems like a nice guy...but Berry will need to be strong and at times, bold enough to remind those who interfere, that he is the GM.

I haven't seen anything in Berry that reflects strength and boldness.

Last edited by mac; 01/31/20 08:34 PM.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I wish it was just as simple as this.

Because everyone I could imagine would already "get" this, but, uhh,

People reach different universities because life's progress has brought them differently onto different courses, MIT has the words "institute of technology" in it's name because, well not because they focus on ancient botany,

So, Lord Somebody tell Jimmy Haslam that more ivy league'ers isn't helping your case dude, to try and get wins in the NFL,

It's like using gasoline as a fire fighting tool,

I'm sure the Browns will have the best, most organizied board meetings in the entire NFL, (with a cast exclusively made up of Ivy league'ers) but they won't win a flipping football game.

DawPoGund,
I'm sad, I'm sad for this, I'm really sad over here, I don't want to watch this coming season, are you kidding?

Don't need to be negative, just somebody tell the Owner before my lifetime ends, Somebody tell Jimmy sometime in the next 20 years, Tell him what a football school is.

Oh Sure, the Ivy league was football aristocracy, in the 1930's! The 1930s!

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Quote:
Schwartz signed on March 9, 2016 ..... the day free agency opened. There was no sudden market shift in the value of Tackles. Sashi played his games before free agency opened, and it cost him a Pro Bowl, All Pro Right Tackle.

Two drinks!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
Quote:

Two drinks!

I don't know how one defines a market shift, but prior to that free agency period all the hype was about how a top tier RT was going to be able to command north of $10+ million a year.. some said as much as 12 or even 15.

I guess it all depends on how much of that hype Mitch and his agent thought he could get. Sashi's offer (the first I believe) was half of the hype. So I don't necessarily blame him for fielding other offers. Hindsight says Sashi was right about the value.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

I think what Jimmy has the least patience for is the BS in-fighting and egos.

Ultimately what I think Jimmy really wants is to NOT be so involved and be the kind of owner who sits back and you don't hear much from him until he steps on the 50 and hoists the Lombardi like he had a direct hand in it.

He took a back seat in the beginning under Banner and Lombardi. THEY couldn't manage the organization.

When he hired Dorsey, again he faded to the background until DORSEY proved he couldn't manage the organization.

There's 2 ways to set up your structure, both have pros and cons:

1) Linear.. top to bottom chain of command... PRO: decision making is streamlined CON: this set up is often limited by the vision provided by the top position and unless you have an exceptional individual, creativity is often limited.

2) Spread out, all parties on equal level... PRO: you exponentially increase your creativity and you have a built in check system where ideas are tested. CON: unless all parties are committed to a detailed vision, decision making can be slowed or even halted.

The assumption has been that Jimmy has created these situations where all parties are equal under him as an intent to purposefully sow division. I'd argue that is not the case and its instead because he probably believes in the second model. Just like his biggest critics accuse, Jimmy is a marketing guy right? Effective marketing strategies are based on input from several sources, and rarely from the mind of a single Visionary.

This is why true alignment is so critical.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I haven't seen anything in Berry that reflects strength and boldness.

Good, the fake tough guy route has gone horribly for us.

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 02/01/20 01:14 AM. Reason: Left an extra tag

Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

This is all very confusing...

Was Sashi trying to win and failed?

Or was Sashi trying to lose and succeeded?

Why are some people who say he failed also say we were trying to lose?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
It was announced at a press conference that there was going to be a tear down. That the next several years were going to be very painful for fans, which was very true. Supposedly, Hue was not on board with this and fought the FO on the fact. It had become noticeable that having draft picks 12 - 22 were not conducive to building a team, just sustaining the record (especially when having 1 draft pick per round ). So the goal became, to gain higher draft picks, more draft picks, and build cap space for the purpose of team building. Sashi was trying to gain draft picks by having a losing record, and he succeeded.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
It was announced at a press conference that there was going to be a tear down. That the next several years were going to be very painful for fans, which was very true. Supposedly, Hue was not on board with this and fought the FO on the fact. It had become noticeable that having draft picks 12 - 22 were not conducive to building a team, just sustaining the record (especially when having 1 draft pick per round ). So the goal became, to gain higher draft picks, more draft picks, and build cap space for the purpose of team building. Sashi was trying to gain draft picks by having a losing record, and he succeeded.

That is the word. Hue was the one who bolted from the plan....but really, we don't need to be discussing Hue and Sashi...that has nothing to do with what is going on now. We have something good cooking now.

We now have a qualified football guy who embraces analytics as part of the process in Berry, Sashi did on one end but he wasn't a football guy.

Unlike Hue, we have a coach who also embraces analytics. Both had talent as a coach. Hue wasn't a head coach. It remains to be seen if Stefanski is, but at least he is aligned with the others in the building.

Then we still have Depo...as good as it gets with what he does. This isn't moneyball for one big reason...the NFL has a cap and a minimum teams can or have to spend. Baseball doesn't have that. Teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, etc can spend as much as the want. Teams like Oakland, Cincy, Cleveland can't do that. They have less money, so they have to work harder to make their money count.

Depo doesn't have to think cheap. He is simply applying what he did in baseball to help identify players who might give us the best chance for success. Maybe give us a edge.

The whole thought of moneyball doesn't even apply. NFL teams have to spend maybe 90% of the cap as averaged over 3-4 years.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 02/01/20 12:56 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree.

Something that I'd like to hear from Depo is this:

How does analytics differ or jibe with the use of statistics?

I have my thoughts...I've read some good takes on the matter...but I'd like to hear it from Depo's own words.

Legend
Legend
I think a lot of the same strategies overlap between baseball and football. The lack of salary cap in baseball may have necessitated the approach but the "bang for your buck" theories apply to any sport.

It is never a "cheap" thing, but as a practice, I think it will eliminate a lot of high-priced free agents, or at least place a lot more scrutiny on those types of moves.

An example this year (imo) will be TE Hunter Henry. Analytics will place high value on his skill-set and value to our team, but it may also place a cap on his contract. Since he will be the "class" of the FA market for TEs, there's a slim chance we will engage in the bidding war. This, of course, will depend on his value (and price tag) compared to other options. Analytics by itself won't rule him, or any other player, "in" or "out". It will provide the starting point in the approach because it weighs the generic risk/reward.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
What are you talking about?

You said people should stop talking about Sashi. It seems that all depends on who is doing the talking and what they have to say about him.

Quote:
I am starting to dislike you.

That sounds like a you problem.

Quote:
You are starting to sound like a 12 year. Go play with them.

And you talked about me being unhinged? rofl

Quote:
You want to talk to me, talk to me like a man. Not some trivial post in a middle of a thread

So you are the one who talks about people with opposing opinions being unhinged and sounding like a 12 year old, and I'm the one who should start talking to you like a man?

Get a grip Peen.

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns hire Andrew Berry as GM and EVP of football operations

Link Copied to Clipboard