Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
FATE #1733937 02/22/20 01:12 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
What you say is completely fair, my frustration was with the one sentence or comment saying they wanted it to be easy. I mean they might have been referring to scheme, keeping things simple ... Maybe a few things. It equally could mean that after success and his rookie season they thought things would come easily. Sort of ambiguous but I still think it's a little naive to make that kind of comment.

At this point none of it really truly matters, what have you done for me lately? When the season starts, his play at that time will be the only thing that counts.

Last edited by mgh888; 02/22/20 01:14 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1733940 02/22/20 01:27 PM
Legend
Legend
Yep. It was the mindset that started the snowball. It came from the top down (in my opinion) and spread throughout the entire NFL. Fans and talking heads alike thought it would be easy.

And now it's up to Baker to shoulder the load. Regardless of scheme, coaches, or other personnel, it's his performance going forward that's the real litmus test.

That said, if the entire organization didn't learn the lesson, we're in big trouble. Winning football requires a lot of moving parts and people to synchronize them so that they move and perform like a world-class ballet. Part of that ballet is learning what to say and what not to say, Baker needs to show some improvement in that aspect as well.

Ironically enough, those comments came on the same day as the response to Rex Ryan... A clear example of what not to say.

Last edited by FATE; 02/22/20 01:28 PM. Reason: punctuation

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Take our interactive quiz to see if you could join Mensa | Daily Mail Online
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...ains-world.html

wink

I would not trust that link. MenZa is spelled wrong.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
FATE #1733962 02/22/20 03:45 PM
Legend
Legend

Good discussion and relevant points.

It made me wonder "if" Baker would have had the fortunate opportunity that Mahomes had.

Drafted to a mature team with a great proven head coach. A head coach who knows how to develop a quarterback. The benefit of sitting for a full season behind a very good quarterback.

Playing in the same system with the same coaches for the entire time.

Baker came from success in college in a college system. Drafted numero uno. Was expected to sit behind a veteran. Then all that has happened since then.

Not exactly the blueprint for developing a quarterback.

Baker needs coaching. But that coaching needs to be proper coaching and consistent. Van Pelt comes in and says right off the bat I need to change his footwork out of shotgun?

Where was Ryan Lindley, Haley, Monken and Freddie?

So Baker comes from success in college to the Browns and right away changes happen during the season and after the season. Then new players new schemes.

Jarvis and Odell didn't practice with Baker as much as what needed to take place.

Now both are recovering from surgeries.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Not just practice.

In addition maturity with the media takes maturity.

You don't get to practice that. You learn by putting your foot in your mouth a number of times.

When the 2020 season begins we will find out what how much learning has been retained.

mgh888 #1733964 02/22/20 04:01 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: mgh888
What you say is completely fair, my frustration was with the one sentence or comment saying they wanted it to be easy. I mean they might have been referring to scheme, keeping things simple ... Maybe a few things. It equally could mean that after success and his rookie season they thought things would come easily. Sort of ambiguous but I still think it's a little naive to make that kind of comment.

At this point none of it really truly matters, what have you done for me lately? When the season starts, his play at that time will be the only thing that counts.

I interpreted a bit different. I read it as they wanted the new system/staff/roster to come together and start working well without too much difficulty. That’s simply my take on that one sentence.

bonefish #1734025 02/22/20 08:50 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
No offense, bro..........but, I don't agree w/part of this take.

I certainly don't agree w/the Mahomes comparison. Baker had two very good QB coaches in Hue and Haley. They both had success w/multiple qbs.

I think the difference is that Mahomes was willing to sit and learn and Baker was incredulous that he had to sit. I think he disliked both guys because of it. Even before he was drafted, it has been my contention that his personality has been a problem. You read stuff about guys like Lamar working so hard to get better during the off-season and then read stuff from Baker saying he doesn't need help w/his 3-step drop or a guy sweeping a broom at his feet.

I'll never forget watching the victory celebration after the Browns beat Baltimore early on in in the 2018-19 season. Hue was talking the team up and almost everyone was so happy and excited. Guys were jumping around and Peppers almost knocked Hue down because he was so excited. And then there is Baker, wearing a white ball cap and walking around saying crap to guys. The looks on their faces told me what his message was even though I couldn't hear him.

Baker wanted Freddie and Lindley. That's not a secret except on this board. I believe that he resented his coaches because he was not handed the starting job. Mahomes didn't pull that kind of crap. Neither did Lamar.

Leadership isn't something that is given. It must be earned.

There is a chance Baker learned from his mistakes and realizes his potential. I am not saying he is a bust. I am saying his attitude is an issue. I think folks blaming the people around Baker are barking up the wrong tree.

That is just my opinion and I will discuss this further w/you and some other reasonable posters, but I will NOT respond to those who come at me w/the usual insults. Hell, I posted Baker's stats twice and you think I had called him the worst names in the book by the comments from some of his biggest defenders.

One last thing.............why is it okay to question/criticize other Brown's players and not Baker? Aren't they ALL part of the team?

Legend
Legend

How it all went down we don't really know.

We can only speculate.

The fact is it happened. Hue wanted Baker to sit behind Taylor. Baker was forced into play by injury. Hue and Haley were gone soon after. So Van Pelt comes in now and says he needs to change his feet position out of the gun. They have not been on the field together yet. How come none of the above made that change? Hue and Haley had him from OTA's. Then Freddie and Monken had him.

Did they try and Baker said I am not changing. I doubt that. He came from a spread in college. Not much if any under center.

The changes happened. How? Why?

It doesn't matter.

My point is simple it went down and it is not the formula to develop a quarterback.

If Baker had gone to the Chiefs or a situation that was similar; the results may well have been different. Even under those changes he set the rookie record for TD's.

Hue, Haley, Monken, Lindley, Freddie all may have had different opinions. No matter the problem is too many coaches and nothing consistent.

Big Ben, Mahomes and others were not faced with all the crap that has taken place since Baker became a Brown.

I am not going to rehash the whole Baker thing. It has been beaten to death.

In the past quarterback development was a thought out process. The route that went down with Mahomes was the norm. Hue wanted that. It just didn't happen.

bonefish #1734046 02/22/20 11:13 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
We disagree. I think it's pretty obvious to see that Baker's accuracy was much worse in his second season than his first. If you can't see that, than I don't know what to tell you.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'll never forget watching the victory celebration after the Browns beat Baltimore early on in in the 2018-19 season. Hue was talking the team up and almost everyone was so happy and excited. Guys were jumping around and Peppers almost knocked Hue down because he was so excited. And then there is Baker, wearing a white ball cap and walking around saying crap to guys. The looks on their faces told me what his message was even though I couldn't hear him.

I'm not following. What are you saying here?

Rishuz #1734068 02/23/20 08:48 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Watch it for yourself. It was on YouTube.

Rishuz #1734070 02/23/20 09:07 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I'm not following. What are you saying here?

Baker = bad. Sends negative messages through osmosis.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
Even if I watch it how am I supposed to tell what he is saying? What do you think he was saying?

Rishuz #1734073 02/23/20 09:11 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Pretend you are a grown-up and make up your own mind. Btw......I just read that crap you wrote on another thread. Take a freaking hike.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Why can't you just answer the question?

You made a generic claim to paint someone you don't like in a bad light and are being asked for clarification. You don't have to give it but why make the claim if you're not willing to discuss it or go into more detail?

And I would take a hike but rain is in the forecast today.

Legend
Legend

There is no disputing his drop in performance. That is not what I am saying.

I don't think anyone would dispute that starting on your fourth head coach and OC in three years is not how you develop a quarterback.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Take our interactive quiz to see if you could join Mensa | Daily Mail Online
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/...ains-world.html

wink

I would not trust that link. MenZa is spelled wrong.

Best bartender ever .... thanks for the rofl bro ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We disagree. I think it's pretty obvious to see that Baker's accuracy was much worse in his second season than his first. If you can't see that, than I don't know what to tell you.

It's not that people disagree on his accuracy, it's the why his accuracy was worse. You kind of seem overly focused on Baker.

How much does confidence play into accuracy?

Between bad drops and running plays they hadn't practiced, lack of confidence seemed to creep in some. It's hard to throw with authority when you're not sure what your pass catchers are going to do. Throw in two bad, banged up OTs, a rotation of RGs, and it's not a good mix.

Here's hoping we can get everyone on the same page and see better results.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1734105 02/23/20 11:50 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

I've come to this party late, so I haven't read the whole thread. Many times in football when trying to analyze offensive failure there is a lot of focus on the QB. To me that's tricky. There are a lot of variables in this equation. I don't think winning hinges on personality alone. Unitas, Brady and good Ol' Payton Manning are just a few who were known to have an edge about them.

The problems come from a sense of entitlement. I don't know if that's what I'm seeing in Mayfield or if it's just an enormous resentment (chip) built up from being doubted throughout his career.

This year will tell us a lot. He must change his game for the team to get better. That's obvious. He's going to have to take more snaps under center. He needs to take the QB coaching and whatever that entails. I hope the offense will truly be "run first" and he'll need to accept that for the sake of the team's success and his own success. I want him to take the underneath, six-yard completion on 2nd and 9 or whatever. Instead of trying to throw a dart through a tight window between two defenders 20 yards downfield.

Also, I want him to do what he said in his interview with Rex Ryan. Don't be overly clever, cute or confrontational with the media. Keep your head down Baker, keep grinding every day and internalize your motivations. Lead the team to sustained success on the field then you can talk all the shizzle you want.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
One last thing.............why is it okay to question/criticize other Brown's players and not Baker? Aren't they ALL part of the team?

There is no problem criticizing any player on the team. But in your case you provide no evidence to support your claims. You add a narrative to an incident and posit that must be the truth based on your predetermined notions. You further say you're not going to provide evidence to your stance, but everyone should just go find a video or article for themselves and come to the same conclusion as you or they're not being truthful.

devicedawg #1734127 02/23/20 01:21 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:

There is no problem criticizing any player on the team. But in your case you provide no evidence to support your claims. You add a narrative to an incident and posit that must be the truth based on your predetermined notions. You further say you're not going to provide evidence to your stance, but everyone should just go find a video or article for themselves and come to the same conclusion as you or they're not being truthful.

If you don't watch the clip and come to the same conclusions you are being deceitful!

Bull_Dawg #1734153 02/23/20 03:30 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
What a moron Vers is ... focusing on Bake on why Bake was so inaccurate this year ... silly man ... rolleyes ...

DiamDawg #1734167 02/23/20 04:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
What a moron Vers is ... focusing on Bake on why Bake was so inaccurate this year ... silly man ... rolleyes ...

I'm trying to calmly and rationally point something out and you go riling people up for no reason.

Yes, Baker was part of the problem, but pointing at him to the exclusion of everything else is seemingly a bit biased.

Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1734169 02/23/20 04:41 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You know better than to come here without an agenda. smile

FATE #1734187 02/23/20 08:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Short version: Hard work wins when Talent doesn't put in the Hard Work.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

There are a group of posters here who do not debate fairly. They misrepresent what some others say. I have PMed them and asked them on the board that we shouldn't talk to one another because it ruins threads and turns into stupid bickering. They can't accept that.

For the record............I NEVER once said that Baker was the "exclusive" problem. That is just a lie. I am also not going to reply to folks who are clearly trying to start a fight.

I will respond to folks like bonefish. He and I obviously disagreed, but he can speak his mind w/out hurling insults and twisting my words around. I have ZERO problem w/him and others who disagree w/my opinion. Differences of opinion are a good thing. Lies and bullying are not.

guard dawg #1734200 02/23/20 10:59 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I really liked your post. It was honest wand well stated, but I do want to address this quote:

Quote:
Also, I want him to do what he said in his interview with Rex Ryan. Don't be overly clever, cute or confrontational with the media. Keep your head down Baker, keep grinding every day and internalize your motivations.

Not so sure Baker was being contrite. Check out this post from Milk Man. Look at the link and watch Baker's reaction. Not sure what you think, but it seems like Baker is making fun of Rex. I think the dude is a total ass!

Quote:
Or did Baker just fool everyone this morning on Get Up!?...

Milk said something like this was "well played" by Baker. crazy

And then, there is this.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/1769...-under-his-nose

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for the props for my post. I respect your opinion on Mayfield. I haven't made my final determination on him. If he continues to conduct himself as he has up to now and the team doesn't improve he will cement his reputation.

I recall it was at least a year ago that you made it known that Mayfield rubbed you the wrong way. You have been consistent in your position and have been willing to defend it. Even in the face of considerable push back. Again, I respect your conviction. That stuff you last posted reflects on Baker as juvenile and immature. I don't see Mahomes or Lamar or Watson or Goff or other young QBs placing themselves or their teams in these compromising situations. The risk involved is that other peoples' interpretation could become a distraction for the team. And if the team is underperforming by extension the QB, "the Face of the Franchise" will get muddied up in the process.

Somebody purposely put those two clips together. It wasn't Mayfield but by being goaded into some snide quip he looks bad. I'm not aware of the context about the feet thing so maybe if I understood it, I'd feel more strongly.

Social media and today's "gotcha" culture set traps. Mayfield has to be smart enough to not fall into them.

guard dawg #1734236 02/24/20 09:09 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you about the clips. I watched Baker on Get Up and I was impressed. He seemed to have matured. Then, Milk posted that video and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I'm still not sure, but it's bad news if he did that intentionally. Hopefully, it was a coincidence.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If the narrative of the other clip led to the Get Up clip... I'm still fine with it. I don't really have a problem with Baker giving it back to the media, especially clowns like Rex and Tony and the like. That's as long as he has his on-field stuff squared away. I do believe that he'll use the humble pie he got this past season appropriately.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Does it win or lose games? I think not.

If it does not, then it is just media and audience being busy with what they choose to be embroiled about. This social media is mostly manufactured noise to me.

Meh. I hope BM and his under-performance last season helps to get this season off on the right foot (ouch — too soon?).

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
ESPN Cleveland suspends reporter for using 'derogatory slur' to describe Baker Mayfield
Chris Cwik
Chris Cwik
Yahoo SportsFebruary 25, 2020, 2:59 PM EST
An ESPN Cleveland host was suspended after using a derogatory slur to describe Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield. (AP Photo/David Richard)
An ESPN Cleveland host was suspended after using a derogatory slur to describe Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield. (AP Photo/David Richard)
An ESPN Cleveland radio personality has been suspended by the station after using “a derogatory slur to describe Little People” when talking about Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield. Tony Grossi, who has gotten into it with Mayfield in the past, was caught using the term on a hot mic.

Grossi, 63, believed he was off the air when he made the comment. After being presented with all the quarterbacks the Browns have passed on in recent years, Grossi responds by saying, “And who do we got? A f---ing midget.”

ESPN Cleveland suspended Grossi indefinitely following that comment. In a statement, ESPN Cleveland said it “will not tolerate derogatory language that demeans others or groups of people.” The station also apologized to “our fans, our partners, the Browns and Baker Mayfield.”

ESPN Cleveland
@ESPNCleveland
View image on Twitter
1:40 PM - Feb 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
985 people are talking about this
Good Karma Brands — which is listed at the bottom of the statement — is a media conglomerate that manages several ESPN affiliates, including ESPN Cleveland.

The term “midget” is considered a derogatory slur, according to the Little People of America. The organization asked people to abolish the term in 2015.

Following the suspension, Grossi apologized “to anyone who was offended by my remark.”

Tony Grossi
✔
@TonyGrossi
View image on Twitter
2:42 PM - Feb 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
1,630 people are talking about this
It’s far from the first time Grossi has expressed displeasure with Mayfield. Grossi has been one of Mayfield’s biggest critics, and the reason Mayfield stormed out of an interview during the season. While the two have butted heads a couple times, Grossi’s comments Tuesday crossed the line.

It’s unclear when — or if — Grossi will return from his suspension. Mayfield has yet to comment on the issue.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/espn-clevel...-195907353.html

The twitter comments from the story did not copy .. the link is included

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
F
Legend
Legend
F
I hope Mayfield takes the high road and just let it go.

But I doubt he does.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
FloridaFan #1734912 02/25/20 08:39 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan

But I doubt he does.

A "no comment" would be very nice.

Rishuz #1734919 02/25/20 09:02 PM
Legend
Legend

But I doubt he does.

That would KILL Grossi if he said that.. Sometimes saying less.. hurts people more.

I died laughing with this Benjamin Albright tweet.. He hates Tony.

Halfback32 #1734953 02/25/20 09:39 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
People need to quit being offended about everything. Now Midget is a bad word?

What Grossi said was an accident. Who cares except a bunch of sissies. He dropped a F-bomb, so what. Are your ears bleeding?

Goldhammer offends me everytime he opens his mouth. Everybody I know hates Goldhammer's guts but Grossi gets suspended for a F-bomb.

Rishuz #1734975 02/25/20 10:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

But I doubt he does.

Unfortunately, he'll probably say,"no comment, I'm going to be the bigger man."

Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1734978 02/25/20 10:03 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LMBO

Bull_Dawg #1734983 02/25/20 10:10 PM
Legend
Legend
rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Bull_Dawg #1734989 02/25/20 10:24 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll be sending my $8.50 to Baker.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grossi is a jerk and keeps on proving it.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker .....

Link Copied to Clipboard