Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I wonder where this was aimed at? rofl

Posters on Dawgtalkers obviously.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Obviously.

I'm guessing he saw your old signature and felt the need to comment on it. So, yeah, I'm guessing you're right.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl ... cause u know how much he’s learned ... rolleyes ... nothing more than wishful thinking on your part ...

Who did he learn form here ... was it Sashi or KJ the scout? .. one was so good at his job he’s in a different sport now and the other one’s just a bully scout .... Seems like re3al fertile learning grounds ... especially when he had the most football experience at the age of 27 during Sashi’s reign ...

Y’all equate years on a job to gaining experience ... that much is true ... some experience is WAY BETTER than others ...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:
Berry is a very young GM. He has plenty of experience. If he was 10 or 15 years older, with the same resume, you wouldn't be saying "He lacks experience"

Experience and age are two entirely different things...you do realize that?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Petrak:
All of our players our Browns.

What are we to make of his writing (or editing) skills? Good grief ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm guessing he saw your old signature and felt the need to comment on it. So, yeah, I'm guessing you're right.

If I'm drawing that much attention from the new Browns FO it appears I'm far more important than I could have ever imagined that I was. Either that or you're wrong. Hmmmm.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
No diam, he learned so much that entire year he was in Philly!

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
No diam, he learned so much that entire year he was in Philly!

Not impossible. People go to graduate school for a year and learn a ton.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Andrew Berry will be on CBD in roughly an hour for those interested in listening.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 02/05/20 02:32 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

If I'm drawing that much attention from the new Browns FO it appears I'm far more important than I could have ever imagined that I was. Either that or you're wrong. Hmmmm.....

Sarcasm is clearly lost on you. Of course no one gives you that much attention.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Andrew Berry will be on CBD in roughly an hour for those interesting in listening.

LOL........ I read that as the stuff they are now selling for pain.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
New Browns GM Andrew Berry on why he left last year: "I left for the chance to work with a guy who I think is the best general manager in the sport, in Howie Roseman."

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1225089815181479936

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
rofl ... cause u know how much he’s learned ... rolleyes ... nothing more than wishful thinking on your part ...

Who did he learn form here ... was it Sashi or KJ the scout? .. one was so good at his job he’s in a different sport now and the other one’s just a bully scout .... Seems like re3al fertile learning grounds ... especially when he had the most football experience at the age of 27 during Sashi’s reign ...

Y’all equate years on a job to gaining experience ... that much is true ... some experience is WAY BETTER than others ...

Nothing is a better teacher than failure. and he witnessed a lot of failure here with the Browns...LOL

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac

Quote:
Berry is a very young GM. He has plenty of experience. If he was 10 or 15 years older, with the same resume, you wouldn't be saying "He lacks experience"

Absolutely, that's my point...... He's 32. He has plenty of experience (within the personnel side of football)

Read your post. You said he's young and lacks experience. What kind of experience are you referring to? Professional? Life? Because, professionally, his resume is strong. He's held various high up personnel positions. He's worked for multiple organizations and seen how multiple people function. He's smart. He played football, and was close to an NFL player.

My thoughts: There are things that go along with high level positions that can be difficult when you are young. There's a possibility that because of Berry's age, people who work for him might struggle with the power dynamic (and taking criticism). No different than some men who struggle working for women.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/05/20 02:36 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sarcasm is clearly lost on you. Of course no one gives you that much attention.

That's incorrect. You do.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Haslam just threw Dorsey and/or Kitchens straight under the bus.

I didn't see the opening.....what did he say?

So there is more that followed this comment. He added (paraphrasing) people are no longer here with ego issues, people needing credit, not working together, etc. I thought that was more damning than the above reference.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
He really sucks at hiring people.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

So there is more that followed this comment. He added (paraphrasing) people are no longer here with ego issues, people needing credit, not working together, etc. I thought that was more damning than the above reference.

That’s the part I was talking about when I said Haslam just bus threw Kitchens and/or Dorsey.

M
Legend
Legend
M

That’s the part I was talking about when I said Haslam just bus threw Kitchens and/or Dorsey.

Yeah. I thought that was pretty deliberate and obvious. He even said, "We don't want to talk about people who are no longer here, buuuuuut....."

rofl

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D

Yeah. I thought that was pretty deliberate and obvious. He even said, "We don't want to talk about people who are no longer here, buuuuuut....."

rofl

He could also have been talking about Sashi Brown and/or Hue Jackson (in addition to Dorsey). Berry was here with all of them the first time he was here. Kitchens was RB coach the last year Berry was here.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

Quote:

Absolutely, that's my point...... He's 32. He has plenty of experience (within the personnel side of football)

Read your post. You said he's young and lacks experience. What kind of experience are you referring to? Professional? Life? Because, professionally, his resume is strong. He's held various high up personnel positions. He's worked for multiple organizations and seen how multiple people function. He's smart. He played football, and was close to an NFL player.

My thoughts: There are things that go along with high level positions that can be difficult when you are young. There's a possibility that because of Berry's age, people who work for him might struggle with the power dynamic (and taking criticism). No different than some men who struggle working for women.

pety...what did I say?

Quote:
Berry is very young to be a GM and lacks experience.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but my comment is very clear...referring to Berry being very young to be a GM and he lacks experience.

The only reference I made was to Berry's GM experience...Berry has something like 5 days or less experience as a GM in the NFL.

Legend
Legend

Haha. Obviously he's learned from every situation or he wouldn't have risen through the ranks as quickly as he did. But let's focus on Sashi and Dorsey, not Bill Polian...

“Andrew Berry is one of the brightest young men we ever had the pleasure of working with,” said former Colts executive and Hall of Famer Bill Polian. “He came to us very early in his career and very soon we realized he was on a fast track. I am not surprised the Browns hired him for this very important position. I assure you he has both the capacity and the will to do an outstanding job. The Browns have made, in my humble opinion, a great hire.”

He's not some scout that we just decided to elevate to GM. He's been lauded and applauded by everyone at every level, in every organization.

You can say it's wishful thinking, I say "we hold these truths to be self-evident".

Maybe you have some conspiracy theory for why he's achieved so much in such a short time span... I'll wait.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
fate...Berry has just days of experience as a GM in the NFL.

He is the youngest most inexperienced GM in the NFL.

Until he actually accomplishes something, no amount of words or prase can define him. What Berry accomplishes from this point forward, will define Andrew Berry.

Legend
Legend
No crap! Never made any claim to the contrary.

Saying that he has learned a lot and learned quickly is not predicting that he will do well as a GM or ignoring his lack of experience in the position.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Love Bill Polian ... he’s been wrong before ...

Why has he risen so fast? ... it certainly wasn’t because of his accomplishments other than his year with KJ he wasn’t a part of anything good ... he was part of the group that traded for T-Rich ... *L* ...

He’s well educated and sounds like he is very smart and just doesn’t have degrees ... that would lead me to believe he interviews well ... and he very well may be very good at his job ... fact is we have no clue ...

The thief was the one that gave him his ascension to this position ... that is clearly not an indicator he will be very good and doesn’t impress me one iota .... best thing we have going for us there is the thief’s due to hit one ... *L* ...

Ive said it before ... past results don’t guarantee future performance and Berry’s a different cat then when he came here .... lets see what he does ... hopefully he’s who U and your wishful thinking think he is ... thumbsup

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Love Bill Polian ... he’s been wrong before ...

Why has he risen so fast? ... it certainly wasn’t because of his accomplishments other than his year with KJ he wasn’t a part of anything good ... he was part of the group that traded for T-Rich ... *L* ...

He’s well educated and sounds like he is very smart and just doesn’t have degrees ... that would lead me to believe he interviews well ... and he very well may be very good at his job ... fact is we have no clue ...

The thief was the one that gave him his ascension to this position ... that is clearly not an indicator he will be very good and doesn’t impress me one iota .... best thing we have going for us there is the thief’s due to hit one ... *L* ...

Ive said it before ... past results don’t guarantee future performance and Berry’s a different cat then when he came here .... lets see what he does ... hopefully he’s who U and your wishful thinking think he is ... thumbsup
To be fair, I dont think you HAVE to be a great talent evaluator to be a good GM though. There is a LOT more to the position than just spotting talent.

As long as you have a great SCOUTING department, that employs great talen evaluators, the real key is BEING ABLE to take their information and use it in a way to make a good pick/FA signing/Trade.

How many times have you and I both said "the draft is a crap shoot most of the time?" A lot of times it is. A lot times, you can make the right pick and the guy still bust - could be because of fit with the team, coaching not messing well with developing him, etc. I think we all would agree P. Manning would not have been P. Manning if he was a Brown.

Now, that leaves a BIG QUESTION mark on hand as to if Berry is the type of guy to listen to the BOTH football evaluators, data, and use it all constructively to make these decisions come draft time. So for those saying he is a great hire - lets at least wait to see what the dude actually does to the team before we start saying that, huh?

Again, my issue with these hires are not Stefanski himself, or Berry himself, but the STRUCTURE of which they are to report and work under. Ultimately, I believe that will be the downfall of this FO, yet again. But I am willing to take my own advice and see. I dont have another choice. The problem is, we have seen this before.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dave

He could also have been talking about Sashi Brown and/or Hue Jackson (in addition to Dorsey). Berry was here with all of them the first time he was here. Kitchens was RB coach the last year Berry was here.

That doesn't suit their agenda. You know how it is when the mob gets together.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dave

He could, no doubt. I tell you what... I can't wait until it's not so hard to keep all our different FO's straight...

He could have been referring to Hue/Sashi, but I doubt it. KJ is fresher in his mind, and the rumors/backstories around KJ would jive with this statement being about him. That's good enough for me, and I'm a loyal subject of KJ.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I'm looking forward to that mythical time when we finally get it right and we can all just agree that ALL the previous regimes SUCKED and the only differences among each of them is the special, individual manner in which they managed to fail.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Sounds like he was definitely referencing Hue.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what your problem is, but my comment is very clear...referring to Berry being very young to be a GM and he lacks experience.

The only reference I made was to Berry's GM experience...Berry has something like 5 days or less experience as a GM in the NFL.

Okay. I got what you're saying now. He lacks experience as an NFL General Manager.

Makes sense. Especially with the context now. Misread your post earlier. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 02/05/20 08:24 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Berry for several reasons.

He is well spoken.

He is smart.

He has a solid football background.

He is inclusive.

He is a forward thinker.

He can be a role model/mentor to young minorities. Nothing wrong with being a jock and being smart. You don't get in to Harvard, let alone graduating with a Master in 4 years without having read a few books, with keen understanding.

Kudos Mr. and Mrs. Berry. You raised your boy well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Andrew Berry will be on CBD in roughly an hour

Oil or gummy's ? lol

Just listened to his presser.. I wish this young man success..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
Andrew Berry will be on CBD in roughly an hour

Oil or gummy's ? lol

... rofl

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Andrew Berry will be on CBD in roughly an hour for those interested in listening.

I'd need CBD too, if I worked at 76 Groza.
I'd probably need it hourly.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
When Berry mentioned that outside of Stefanskis wife, there is no other stronger support than him.. That spoke volumes for me.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Again, my issue with these hires are not Stefanski himself, or Berry himself, but the STRUCTURE of which they are to report and work under. Ultimately, I believe that will be the downfall of this FO, yet again. But I am willing to take my own advice and see. I dont have another choice. The problem is, we have seen this before.

But is it the structure that is/was wrong, or has it been the wrong people placed in to that structure? I made a post last week ab out the pros and cons of a more traditional linear structure vs. one that is more diffused. Both have merits and both have drawbacks.

Too often in a linear structure there has tended to be an ego that needed to be fed. Each level was more bolted down in their personal preferences and not very adaptable. Just think back to when we used to debate the relationship between GM and HC: should the GM get the players the HC wants, or should the HC coach whomever the GM wants? It wasn't too terribly long ago when there was talk about GM's preferring 3-4 or 4-3 defensive schemes. I think that kind of stuff is half of the whole "not my guy" roster turnover nonsense.

But since the game has evolved and 3-4 vs. 4-3 is no longer relevant, I don't see why organizational management and philosophy shouldn't have to evolve as well.

And so it appears we head in to 2020 with a diffused structure.

My biggest concern, and probably my only real concern at this time is if Stefanski's vision for this team schematically is well enough defined. And it's the same concern I had about Freddie heading in to 2019.

I think the 2 biggest weaknesses to a diffused structure are 1) if you don't have a member empowered to make time sensitive decisions and 2) it can be derailed when egos need to be fed.

Some thing to be said for Stefanski, Berry, and DePo... despite what some people around here accuse, none of them have reputations of having overriding egos. They all have reputations of being able to work with other people.

Here's how I envision this Triumverate working:

-Stefanski and Berry work on defining this team schematically, what do we want to do on offense and defense.

-Berry and DePo work on finding the players to fulfill that vision

-Stefanski and DePo work on identifying trends in other teams to exploit, and trends of our own to fix.

Now, here's another reason I'm fairly confident in this set up: look at where we are with our roster vs. 2 and 3 years ago. Back then we had needs everywhere. That kind of environment would let people develop their own priorities and that in turn would breed dysfunction and mistrust when those priorities clash. But now? I'd argue that our roster is closer to being 'complete' than it is 53 nobodies. Look at our needs: LT, RT, a TE that can block (he doesn't even have to be much better than average as long as he can occasionally catch the ball), LB, SS... obviously we have other minor areas to address as well, but in terms of priorities I have a hard time believing that these 3 won't be able to agree on a rank order.

Someone occasionally posts what looks like play sheet but has the organizations goals on it. It shows what I feel is a sound plan for a sound foundation. It leaves plenty of room for things like the HC to determine scheme. And to date, say what you will about the how player acquisition has happened, there's nothing to indicate DePo's crew has tried to be influential in determining scheme. This indicates to me that for as much input as the data guys would like to contribute, there is still a deference to the HC.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
Here's how I envision this Triumverate working:

-Stefanski and Berry work on defining this team schematically, what do we want to do on offense and defense.

-Berry and DePo work on finding the players to fulfill that vision

-Stefanski and DePo work on identifying trends in other teams to exploit, and trends of our own to fix.

That sums it up nicely. I would add that all three work on establishing the "Browns Way" which could encompass nearly every aspect of team operations.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

I'd need CBD too, if I worked at 76 Groza.
I'd probably need it hourly.

Then you would need THC nanner

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's Cleveland Browns Daily moving forward. thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns hire Andrew Berry as GM and EVP of football operations

Link Copied to Clipboard