Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Well .... on the picks gained from trading away the 2nd overall pick ..... Sashi added ....... ZERO players who contribute to this team.

Dorsey added Ward.

Wow! What a great set of trades!

The trades were good. The picks were bad.

Then the process failed.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Well .... on the picks gained from trading away the 2nd overall pick ..... Sashi added ....... ZERO players who contribute to this team.

Dorsey added Ward.

Ward is an all-pro and Thomas showed a lot of promise this season so it wasn't a total wash ...

Chad Thomas was the worst rated edge player in all of the NFL according to PFF.

I said he showed some promise not that he was ready for prime time ... Just yet superconfused

Last edited by PastorMarc; 02/03/20 01:19 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Dorsey added Ward.

Ward is an all-pro and Thomas showed a lot of promise this season so it wasn't a total wash ...

I said he showed some promise not that he was ready for prime time ... Just yet superconfused

If being the worst rated at his position is promise then a lot of our terrible players have promise.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Dorsey added Ward.

If being the worst rated at his position is promise then a lot of our terrible players have promise.

It is just my opinion, but then if I said Jim Brown showed promise you would argue about it superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Dorsey added Ward.

The trades were good. The picks were bad.

Then the process failed.

Sometimes good process yields bad results. For example, throwing a perfect breaking pitch on the outside corner of the plate is good process. Sometimes the hitter hits it for a home run.

What we don't know is if is the process is good in picking the players (we will never know that answer). I will say that traditional "football guys" have horrible drafts all the time. Literally multiple teams every year. Picking quality NFL players is really hard.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Dorsey added Ward.

It is just my opinion, but then if I said Jim Brown showed promise you would argue about it superconfused

Say Denzel Ward has promise and see what I say. . .

P
Legend
Legend
P

Jim Brown rushed for 942 yards and 9 td's in a 12 game season as a rookie. So no, in that case you would be making a reasonable comment.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some people ... superconfused

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

What a weird thing to announce.

This is from the team's official site:

Quote:
After leading the NFL with 15.5 sacks in 2016, Beasley recorded five sacks in the 2017 and 2018 seasons, and he looked to be on pace for another five-sack season before a four-sack flurry in the final four weeks gave him eight for the year.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm still not, and never will be convinced that the pressure your QB can't see coming, which the LT protects him from, is a bigger danger to your QB than the pressure he can see coming.

I agree. I have long held that protection up the middle is more important than protection on the edges. Pressure up the middle is the fastest way to the QB. In the face pressure is hard to beat. Edge pressure can easily be beat if the QB can step up 2-3 feet. By stepping up, the outside angels are ruined and the tackle is back in position to ride the DE outside.

I am not saying a guy like Joe T isn't a handy guy to have, but stonewall the middle like we did when Zeitler was here, the tackles only have one thing to think about, don't get beat inside.

Again we go back to inside pressure. QB's hate that. Give the QB room to step up 3 feet, all is good. The good one's internal clock is going to tell them when they need to do that. If you aren't throwing on the 2nd read, step up a few feet.
Buy another 2 seconds.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
That one thing being edge rushers. The highest paid, most sought after position in the front seven of NFL defenses.

The cost of the market dictates that the OT position is the most important and highly paid position on the OL.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
That one thing being edge rushers. The highest paid, most sought after position in the front seven of NFL defenses.

The cost of the market dictates that the OT position is the most important and highly paid position on the OL.

Well, maybe it needs to change. DT's who can bring it from the inside are rare, but if you get one, it is gold.

It is a fairly short list....Mean Joe, Alex Karras, Merlin Olsen, Aaron Donald, Reggie White, Randy White, There are others.

Guys like that ruin game plans. I'll tell you what, if Derrick Brown from Auburn is available when we draft, he requires a game plan for him. We need to draft him.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Well, maybe it needs to change.

All you need to do is convince the entire NFL of that.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't need to convince them. They will figure it out. The new style of QB play will tell them that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The Cleveland Browns announced their first player related move of 2020 offseason by waiving center Lo Falemaka. Falemaka was an undersized center out of Utah that spent the 2018 season with the Seattle Seahawks before the Browns added last summer when they were short on bodies that could snap due to a few injuries.

Unfortunately for Falemaka, injuries have had a big impact on his career. He only started one season in college at Utah after redshirting his freshman year and then getting approved for a sixth year of eligibility after he suffered an injury for the Utes.

Falemaka's time with the Browns seemed over almost as it started when he suffered a shoulder injury. The Browns waived him with an injury designation during the summer only to have him clear waivers, reverting to their injury reserve list.

The Browns signed J.C. Tretter to an extension to be their starting center, but they also have a few other options that can play behind him. Eric Kush, seems like the favorite to be the next man up, operating as a swing man for both guard and center.

After those two, it's a little more up in the air, though the team did sign Willie Wright to a reserves/futures contract after he spent the entire season on the practice squad. Wright played tackle in college at Tulsa, but he was utilized as both a guard and center in camp last year. In terms of physical traits, Wright has a great athletic profile, a good build and plays really hard when he's on the field. He's also younger than Falemaka, so while the Browns could bring in more competition at the position, Falemaka always looked like the odd man out at this position, functioning as a short term body that got hurt and was around due to being on injured reserve.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-waive-center-lo-falemaka

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
#RosterTurnover

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Wasn't their first move signing that PS fullback from Minny?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Yes. Sports Illustrated Maven is trash. I wish no one would ever post a link from the site.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Yes. Sports Illustrated Maven is trash. I wish no one would ever post a link from the site.

Yep. When Maven Media bought Sports Illustrated they were able to use the reputable Sports Illustrated brand to give them credibility to articles written by Maven writers, much of whom are no more than fans with time on their hands to write opinion pieces.

Maven Media guessed correctly, because many people think they are actually reading Sports Illustrated articles by Sports Illustrated journalists. They're anything, but that.

More clicks on the Maven articles because of the SI brand, higher ad revenue and they do not have to pay actual journalists.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Just a thought. How will we know if any of the players we have should be replaced until we get the new system in?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Technically it doesn't go into effect until the new league year. At least that's the way I understood the reserve/futures contracts article. Plus, didn't we sign him before the Superbowl, which would mean the off-season hadn't started yet?

Not that it was a great article. I've seen many worse, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
He was also not good.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was also not good.

Better blocker than our TEs last season. Hands about as good as some we had there, too.

Not saying a whole lot, but depending on how you plan on using him, he does have some positive uses. If he can stay healthy.

Hands are desired at receiver. If you're just looking for competent bodies on special teams and ones that can block for other receivers on bubble screens and run fly sweeps at discount prices, he's not the worst choice ever.

Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Perriman needed to go, and Nassib wasn't cutting it any longer.
Reiter is just a guy whose position was backfilled by the same.

Perriman had a pretty good year in Tampa and was the downfield threat we gave away...6 TDs;

Nassib was a team captain for Tampa...6 sacks;

Reiter is the starting center for the Chiefs and will play in the Super Bowl tomorrow.

I left out the JD-created-free agent TE Fells...7 Tds

Fine. Dorsey was a bum and the worst GM since the return. Since all of the players he brought in suck. Let's purge every single Dorsey player. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Clear out all of the players that he brought in and what do we have? Then we can get picks and cap room and do nothing at all with it which is EXACTLY what we were doing before Dorsey came. How many QB's did we pass on? Too SCARED to take a chance on one. How much cap space did we have? Yet how many FA's did we bring in? You like that so much then hell why not bring back Sashi and let him run it all? It was SO great that you want to return to those glory days... 1-15 and 0-16 were special years. By all means lets get back to that kind of Browns football since you enjoyed it so bloody much.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
B
Legend
Legend
B
Overreact much?

Nobody is saying Dorsey was a bum, and Berry has already addressed the issue of purging the roster. He has no plans to do that. Obviously the roster isn't going to stay 100% the same. Rosters turn every year, on every team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Overreact much?

Nobody is saying Dorsey was a bum, and Berry has already addressed the issue of purging the roster. He has no plans to do that. Obviously the roster isn't going to stay 100% the same. Rosters turn every year, on every team.

Depodesta has final say and Haslam backs him up. All Depodesta has to do is run to Haslam (behind Berry's back) to get his way, proclaiming this is what "the data" told the analytics side.

Then Haslam, who so easily influenced, goes over Berry's head and roster moves are made that Depodesta favors. I seriously doubt that Haslam even realizes that he is being manipulated.

The key test will be what happens with OBJ because he will be a prime target for Depodesta because of his contract and I'm sure that Depo can manipulate the data to prove that the Browns are better off "in the long run", without OBJ.

Forget what the Browns GM and/or HC want...Depodesta is still running the show in Cleveland.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
GM did a selfie.... rofl

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Think you need to combine that with this:

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
Overreact much?

Depodesta has final say and Haslam backs him up. All Depodesta has to do is run to Haslam (behind Berry's back) to get his way, proclaiming this is what "the data" told the analytics side.

Then Haslam, who so easily influenced, goes over Berry's head and roster moves are made that Depodesta favors. I seriously doubt that Haslam even realizes that he is being manipulated.

The key test will be what happens with OBJ because he will be a prime target for Depodesta because of his contract and I'm sure that Depo can manipulate the data to prove that the Browns are better off "in the long run", without OBJ.

Forget what the Browns GM and/or HC want...Depodesta is still running the show in Cleveland.

rofl

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Have a link?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Fine. Dorsey was a bum and the worst GM since the return. Since all of the players he brought in suck. Let's purge every single Dorsey player. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Clear out all of the players that he brought in and what do we have? Then we can get picks and cap room and do nothing at all with it which is EXACTLY what we were doing before Dorsey came. How many QB's did we pass on? Too SCARED to take a chance on one. How much cap space did we have? Yet how many FA's did we bring in? You like that so much then hell why not bring back Sashi and let him run it all? It was SO great that you want to return to those glory days... 1-15 and 0-16 were special years. By all means lets get back to that kind of Browns football since you enjoyed it so bloody much.

I don't know why you say Dorsey was a bum. He wasn't the worst GM we've had STR but he still wasn't very good.

You don't like the new-GM-roster-purge? Maybe that's why you said Dorsey was a bum. He jettisoned a lot of good players...and replaced them with really good practice squad players and backups.

Maybe you said Dorsey is a bum because of his lack of success in bringing in good free agents or at least better free agents than the ones he created by releasing them. Well...he did bring in Sheldon Richardson and...well...Sheldon Richardson.

Maybe you said Dorsey was a bum because of his numerous questionable draft picks...or his job-changing hire of Freddie.

In the end, I disagree with your saying that Dorsey was a bum. He wasn't a bum. But he was certainly nothing special while here.

FWIW, I really didn't have an issue with Dorsey. If he could have reigned in his ego he may have been fine here. But he got himself down-sized and couldn't deal with that. It's ok. My biggest beef is with the "all the talent he brought in" mantra... which is complete BS.

Legend
Legend
Have a link?

Don't need one.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
J/C ... you completely missed the sarcasm, didn't you?

I look at Dorsey's time here like this:

When he took over this team, we had:

0 QB
1 backup/3rd down RB
1 TE
3 OL
1 RB

That was the offense.

We had a pair of really good DL, and a pair of useful LB. (one is a guy who moved inside to become a Pro Bowler in Schobert)

We had nothing in the secondary.

People want to talk about the "mistake" he made with Nassib, but what had he done here? Sometimes a guy has to get cut in order to figure it out. It happens all the time.

Dorsey was nothing special? Turning this team around, even to get to 7 and 6 wins, is a major accomplishment in and of itself. This team was in freefall, with very little talent, when Dorsey got here. (as noted above) I think that people forget just how bad this team was when Dorsey first got here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Going into the season everyone everyone was farting rainbows and roses. They felt the talent was great. Now that Freddie botched up the season, everyone is trying to rewrite history.

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Now that Freddie botched up the season, everyone is trying to rewrite history.

Everyone includes you.

Not me though. I think John Dorsey built a great roster, he just lacks the interpersonal skills to survive in a workplace where he needs to rely on others.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I love how football fans on a message board suddenly see themselves as masters of psychoanalysis.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player movement, off-season

Link Copied to Clipboard