Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Andrew Berry just commented in his pressure about that "time" in Cleveland - and I am paraphrasing " the one thing I would like to bring back or keep was the collaboration we had from then"

That certainly doesn't sound like the dysfunction some seem to describe.

It depends on what time he is referring back to, Sashi Brown's time or John Dorsey's time or both.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U think Sashi and Hue got along at some point ... rofl ...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
U think Sashi and Hue got along at some point ... rofl ...

I don't think so. I also don't think John Dorsey was very collaborative. My guess is that Andrew Berry was just trying to be nice and answer the question without ruffling feathers.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
My guess is that Andrew Berry was just trying to be nice and answer the question without ruffling feathers.

Or he was referring to the FO collaboration when it was Sashi, DePo, Berry & scouts.
And then there was Hue Jackson and Mike Silver's collaboration.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
My guess is that Andrew Berry was just trying to be nice and answer the question without ruffling feathers.

Or he was referring to the FO collaboration when it was Sashi, DePo, Berry & scouts.
And then there was Hue Jackson's and Mike Silver's collaboration.

I doubt Berry would want to open that can of worms at his introductory press conference.

D
Legend
Legend
D
That can should be buried Deep in the depths of the ocean .... *L* ....

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think he is opening a can of worms by referring to his preferred collaboration the last time around. I cannot imagine him meaning what he saw between Depo/Analytics Dept. and Dorsey/Scouts & Kitchens and perhaps a reason why he moved on. That was oil and water. What else would be referring to is my question.

Hue was the problem re: collaboration. Not anyone else.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well of course it was.......

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Stefanski would be crazy not to want OBJ and Kareem. With the right scheme and the players we currently have we could have a top 5 O next year.

Stop with that crap.Did you not learn anything last year?
New coaches,new schemes,new players.Be happy if the Browns are not a bottom 5 O.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Stefanski would be crazy not to want OBJ and Kareem. With the right scheme and the players we currently have we could have a top 5 O next year.

Stop with that crap.Did you not learn anything last year?
New coaches,new schemes,new players.Be happy if the Browns are not a bottom 5 O.

We also need good QB play and play calling...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So the contention of some is that Haslam chose to keep a dysfunctional group together for a year and a half after some huge debacle in the 2017 draft?

I mean it is Haslam so anything is possible. However, it sounds far more logical to conclude this entire situation was overblown than anything else.

I mean not everything in life is a conspiracy theory.

I guess it all depends on the motive behind Jimmy's contribution to the dysfunction is. I mean, if we're supposed to believe that he went running around purposefully pitting different departments against each other, and pitting subordinates against their superiors... then yeah, it's totally likely he would have kept Hue around in spite of an obvious failing working relationship.

I'm absolutely willing to side with you about the entire situation being over blown, if that reason is applied across the board.

Last edited by DevilDawg2847; 02/06/20 02:08 AM.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Looking at how analytics is used by the other teams around the NFL, the Vikings may have had the best setup...

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Ownership is said to be very into analytics, and GM Rick Spielman leans on data in making big personnel decisions. Coach Mike Zimmer, on the other hand, is known to be older school in how he approaches his job. The franchise’s analytics director, Scott Kuhn, also works as a pro scout for the team.

When Stefanski was with the Vikings, their analytics guy was also a member of the "Pro Scouting team"...

...the information from the Vikings analytics/pro scouting guy then goes to the Vikings GM, Rick Spielman.

Maybe Stefanski can setup the same structure here in Cleveland.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
This is why many people question the run-heavy approach Stefanski ran in Minnesota last year....it was mandated by Zimmer when Stefanski took on the role of OC. "Run heavy" meaning 50.5% of the pass calls but that was third highest in the NFL from what I saw.

I'm curious to see what Stefanski does here in Cleveland. I hope it is not confined to simply running more or passing more. I hope each game plan is designed to target the defenses weaknesses based on what the analysis shows.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Looking at how analytics is used by the other teams around the NFL, the Vikings may have had the best setup...

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Ownership is said to be very into analytics, and GM Rick Spielman leans on data in making big personnel decisions. Coach Mike Zimmer, on the other hand, is known to be older school in how he approaches his job. The franchise’s analytics director, Scott Kuhn, also works as a pro scout for the team.

When Stefanski was with the Vikings, their analytics guy was also a member of the "Pro Scouting team"...

...the information from the Vikings analytics/pro scouting guy then goes to the Vikings GM, Rick Spielman.

We pretty much have that structure. It doesn't look like Stefanski is as hardheaded as Zimmer at HC, though, which I see as a positive. We've got a bunch of people who combine analytics and scouting.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted By: mac

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

We pretty much have that structure. It doesn't look like Stefanski is as hardheaded as Zimmer at HC, though, which I see as a positive. We've got a bunch of people who combine analytics and scouting.

bull...the analytics guy in Cleveland is a member of the Browns Pro Scouting team?

NO, the Browns are not setup similar or even close to the front office structure in Minnesota.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
You said Depo is over everything, so he is a member of the pro scouting team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Check and Mate, lol!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U say all depo does is set up process ... he was in on the last two hiring interviews ... so he does in fact do more than set up process .... no? ..

Legend
Legend
U say all depo does is set up process ... he was in on the last two hiring interviews ... so he does in fact do more than set up process .... no? ..

Please clarify to what degree he does more, then. Be specific, because he has been specific that he creates and implements processes.

Now, if *I* have to guess, it is that he did homework on the guys being sought and because of that he is in there to see if the person in the room matches the person on the papers in front of all of them. In the end, he is a sounding board and just part of the process, but in no way a decision maker. At most, he gets to say whether or not he feels the interviewee is someone he can work with, or whom he believe will be capable of working with him.

It isn't this freaking difficult to comprehend folks, and despite it being the Browns, there isn't something nefarious around every corner.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think he just sits in on those interviews and does nothing, says nothing and has no input. He's purely the window dressing. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Well thank god you know how it works ... rolleyes

Let me guess ... he don’t have the thief’s ear either ... rofl ..

Fact is ... NONE of us know what his role is or exactly how much influence he has on the thief ... but hey ,,, fell free to think u do ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interviews are a process. The guy who put the process together making sure it's run as intended makes sense, no?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I think he just sits in on those interviews and does nothing, says nothing and has no input. He's purely the window dressing. wink

"Now sit here and look pretty DePo. You distract him, and we'll get answers when he's not thinking." laugh rofl

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Of course he has his ear... he's one of the Executives. I think we differ on just what or how much that means, however.
I mean, it clearly didn't mean much the last two coaching hires, right?

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ummm ... he wanted kev las year ... so I’m not sure how he didn’t have a hand in it ...

And IMO he’s the main reason KJ’s gone ...

U guys are kidding yourselves if u think he sat in on all those interviews just to make sure the process was done right ,,, that’s actually delusional IMO ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
The fact he didn't get his guy last year but got his guy this year plainly indicates his level in the power structure has increased.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
lol, ok... you rock on with your conspiracy of.. whatever.

Gepettodesta... the puppet master is pulling all the strings rofl

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:
U guys are kidding yourselves if u think he sat in on all those interviews just to make sure the process was done right

You got that backwards Diam. You kidding yourself if you think Depo ever picked our GM, Head Coach, Assistant coach, draft pick, free agent, traded for a player, signed a free agent, or told the Browns how much they could offer a player a contract for. That is all a bigger fairy tale than Cinderella.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not saying he's pulling all the strings. But since he didn't get his hand picked HC last year but got him this year, how does it become a logical conclusion that his level in the power structure has not increased?

I mean if you sit in on the interview and you get your hand selected HC of choice, it seems pretty obvious you have a lot of influence in that decision making.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Ummm ... he wanted kev las year ... so I’m not sure how he didn’t have a hand in it ...

And IMO he’s the main reason KJ’s gone ...

U guys are kidding yourselves if u think he sat in on all those interviews just to make sure the process was done right ,,, that’s actually delusional IMO ...
I don't really get the angst about DePo being in the interview room. Who else was going to be there? As it was, it was Jimmy, Dee, and Jimmy Jr. (or was it a son-in-law?) that was the interview panel. I mean, thank God at least DePo was in there as well.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It was his son -in-law

Legend
Legend
Also don't forget his daughter is one of our owners as well.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
It was his son -in-law

Point is, whatever your opinion of DePo may be, he's the only one in there that's even remotely qualified to interview a coach or GM. Jimmy or Dee have to be there since they're signing the checks.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I don't think it means anything in regard to influence; it merely means someone finally took time to listen to what he said. The last two coaching hires, what he suggested was not listened to, so all it says to me is that Haslam finally decided to listen to him (who also happens to be one of the only people left through all other changes).

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
IF things work out this time, then Yes, I think that will translate to an increase in influence, but I can't say that I believe that not being listened to in the past bestows added influence this time around... it feels more like Jimmy did a "ok, fine, let's try listening to the Harvard kid this time" thing.

Jimmy has been inserting himself and his ideas - like a Jerry Jones - every step of the way since he bought the team, and literally every single thing he has touched in that regard was a crapfest in short order. Maybe, just maybe, he ate a small slice of humble pie and decided that he needs to actually listen to the advice he is paying people for.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
It seems that your answer is exactly what I'm saying. If people are now listening to you and taking your suggestions/recommendations, that certainly is an obvious increase in your influence in the power structure.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think any differences in view are buried in the semantics of the word "influence".

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
So if you didn't listen to someone before and you are listening to them now, that isn't having more influence?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not necessarily or inherently, no, it is not.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
1 : the power or capacity of causing an effect in indirect or intangible ways : sway
2a : the act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cont...Football guys did half the job, now it's up to numbers boys to finish the job...

Link Copied to Clipboard