Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
All Pro
All Pro
Sorry for any confusion. I wasn't saying cut them right now or even cut all 3, just that I had a list back in November of guys I expected to be "replaced" in some fashion and we took out a large chunk of them today.

I was mostly laughing to myself.

Seriously though, I would rather bring back Robinson than Hubbard and Kirksey's clock is ticking either way.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
These are not the type of guys we should worried about cutting. We can sign guys to one year contracts and replace their production.

They ARE the guys you worry about cutting when they're the best you've got. If we can sign a guy that's better w/o much effort, then let's do that and then we can cut starters.

That is a good compromise. I would just say that just because guys started it doesn't mean they are starters. Hubbard is way below the level of production you would with your starting right tackle.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Glad the Analytics guys are back in charge. With Dorsey, we had to read boring stories about all his trades and signings. The Analytics guys provide us exciting reads where we are cutting players so we can save $2 million on a particular player.

Let the good times roll...

Quit acting like some if not all of those guys weren't going to be cut.

Sorry man, the roster wasn't going to remain the same even if the Dorse was still here.

Geesh.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: mac
Depo's degree is in economics...something Jimmy really likes..making his money and keeping it.

The Browns front office is still waiting for that award for cap space...

I love how people's asses are chapped for cutting bad players/contracts so we can allocate it elsewhere.

I don't love it. I find it sad.

It's chapped asses sore because their guys failed to produce a winner like they expected.

Don't blame the new guys for the old guys failure is my attitude.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
These are not the type of guys we should worried about cutting. We can sign guys to one year contracts and replace their production.

They ARE the guys you worry about cutting when they're the best you've got. If we can sign a guy that's better w/o much effort, then let's do that and then we can cut starters.

Like I said, I get that we want someone better/more reliable at those positions, but cutting players doesn't get us any closer to having a competent player in there. It only opens up the possibility that you get worse.

But opening up more money possibly does.

Every team cuts players this time of year and we have some Whining about cutting Kush. LOL

Give ma a break!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A lot of people down on Hubbard. He was the best RT on the roster last year. I agree he was pretty bad as a RT. But I think he would be the best RG on our roster and actually be pretty decent as RG compared to the others in the league.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Good cuts IMO. Marginal (very marginal) players in exchange for that cap savings.

Harris is one of the worst TE’s we’ve ever fielded

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Jester
A lot of people down on Hubbard. He was the best RT on the roster last year. I agree he was pretty bad as a RT. But I think he would be the best RG on our roster and actually be pretty decent as RG compared to the others in the league.

Is the experiment worth his salary?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Depo's degree is in economics...something Jimmy really likes..making his money and keeping it.

The Browns front office is still waiting for that award for cap space...

I love how people's asses are chapped for cutting bad players/contracts so we can allocate it elsewhere.

I don't love it. I find it sad.

It's chapped asses sore because their guys failed to produce a winner like they expected.

Don't blame the new guys for the old guys failure is my attitude.

I really don't want to get into any personal battles, but peen.......you are off the chain. I've been reading your posts and you are telling folks to go root for another team and making comments like the one above. Hell, I just came from another thread and you were trashing YTown and Pit.

The crazy thing is that you and some others [who I won't even talk to] have been crying and complaining ever since Sashi was fired.

And you have the nerve to say don't blame the new guys for the old guy's failure AFTER the previous old guys went 1 and 31?

Seriously man. Get real! I expect that type of stuff from some posters on here, but I am surprised you have fallen that low.

And, you can fire back on me and I won't mind because I was pretty harsh just now. I just had to get that out there because it is something that I have had a hard time with for quite awhile now. So be it if this gets to the point where you and I don't speak.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Anyway.........I already knew that we couldn't make trades right now. Then again, I didn't think it was a must to cut guys now before we had replacements. This is same stupid crap that the "smart guys" did when they led us to 1 and 31.

Dorsey waited and made trades like:

Kizer for Randall. Randall was kinda crazy last year, but Kizer is beyond terrible.

He got picks for bums like Kessler and Hogan.

He got a pick for C. Coleman.......the "smart guys" first pick ever.

He got a 3rd for Duke after the world knew the relationship was doomed.

He even got a 4th for Avery, who was a 5th round pick. There are a couple of guys saying that he got less than than what he spent, but that is incorrect. He probably didn't even want to trade Avery, but Wilkes would not play him. I don't think Avery did much in Philly. I could be wrong about that, but I never saw him when I watched the Eagles.

He absolutely stole OBJ from the Giants. Peppers is an in the box SS and those guys are a dime a dozen.

I do think he lost the trade of Zeitler for Vernon. I understood it. He was trying to create a fierce pass rush and help Myles prosper. Edge dudes are more valuable than RGs. I think he lost that trade, though.

The trade of Ogbah for Murray was probably a wash. Neither guy fit into the other team's needs.

The trade of a 4th round pick for Landry was absolute highway robbery.

Signing Hunt was a brilliant and inexpensive move.

I just don't see what's so great about cutting all of these guys right now when we haven't yet replaced them. I think Carey is a much more valuable player than his PFF numbers. I do think those numbers are probably justified, but Carey played in the slot. He played outside. He played some safety when we needed him to. He is very versatile and cutting him w/out getting a better player is dumb. But yeah, we saved a couple of million. rolleyes

This is the kind of crap that happens when you get rid of the football guys. And before anyone misrepresents what I am saying.........I will say it for the hundredth time......I believe in analytics. I think you need those guys in your organization. But, that doesn't mean to get rid of all the football guys and rely on guys who have already proven to be a disaster of epic proportions!

B
Legend
Legend
B
The thing is, I don't think you were harsh. I am a big boy and consider you a friend

I expect honest talk from friends.

We will always speak.

I have had my allotment of bourbon for the evening....usually around 4:30 is when I will pick this back up.

All's good my friend. We can disagree, but we remain friends. That is how it is to work, right?

Last edited by Ballpeen; 02/17/20 08:40 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
So hope we don't cut Kirko.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Why? What has he done for the team in the past 2 years?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I get new regimes get rid of old regime players. Hate that. It’s like ego won’t let them admit someone else has eye for talent. I don’t have a problem so much as cutting these guys but this early before the staff has a chance to see them and evaluate fit just creates more holes where we can’t afford more

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was pretty harsh. It's just been something that built up because I have been holding it in for awhile.

Much respect for your reply. I deserved some grief because I went at you pretty hard. You took the high road and I admire that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester

Is the experiment worth his salary?

I don't know that I would call it an experiment. If I am not mistaken, he played a good bit guard for the steelers (don't know if LG or RG).

I don't know his salary, or more importantly his cap hit but even if I did, I wouldn't know if it is worth it.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Why? What has he done for the team in the past 2 years?

I think it's convenient to pick 2 as your lucky number, although he's been a Brown for 6 seasons.

But to answer your question, in the past 2 years, he's had 2 picks, a fumble recovery, 5 pass deflections, 54 tackles, and 3 tackles for loss.

Kirko has talent. I hope we keep him.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
We saved over $8 million in cutting Carrie.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you for the clarification.

We created another hole in cutting Carrie.

This is a difference of opinion. I'm fine w/you thinking that saving money is more important than what he gave to the team. I don't begrudge your opinion. However, I will keep my opinion that it would be wiser to keep guys like him until a better option is found. I hope that you don't mind my opinion?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This is a difference of opinion. I'm fine w/you thinking that saving money is more important than what he gave to the team. I don't begrudge your opinion. However, I will keep my opinion that it would be wiser to keep guys like him until a better option is found. I hope that you don't mind my opinion?

The way i see it, i think they just saved 14 million dollars. Hopefully that's all money being put together to make sure Schobert is here next season.

The only one of that bunch i question cutting is TJ Carrie. i get it, but as you said, he's valuable. He's a decent player who is versatile. But from what i remember, looking at his contract when he was signed, it always looked like year three he'd be cut.

I don't think losing any of these guys is something we can't come back from

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend

That is a good compromise. I would just say that just because guys started it doesn't mean they are starters. Hubbard is way below the level of production you would with your starting right tackle.

It depends on their contracts.... if any of them are due roster bonuses that we don't want to pay, then you need to cut them before we can sign anyone because free agency starts at the same time roster bonuses would become effective. So, sometimes you cannot wait - you have to pull the trigger and hope your plan to replace them falls into place.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
The way I see it is that we're clearing out guys and contracts that don't have a future here and in the process, we're creating additional money to go not only retain our own, but go after guys that will hopefully be a better fit.

As for creating holes.... all of them pretty much were a hole in the roster as it is. Each and every one of them was a weakpoint.... so, it's not like we just created some dire situation. We ripped off some bad patches and are going to try to find better patches; maybe even a way to fix things.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Plus, if you know they aren't in the plans, cutting them now it the right thing to do.

It would be a disservice to them to wait until after teams have signed other players.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If the Browns are able to add better players in place of those players they cut...they are helping the team.

If the Browns are cutting players just to escape paying the money without any present plan to upgrade the position..that can come back to hurt the team.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C - We can't sign anyone as yet, so we dont know what the plan is. Cutting the guys that were cut - I can see why we did it. As long as there is a succession plan in place, then we will re-invest the cap. It isn't about money vs players. It's about how to better utilise the $$$. That second point will remain the question.

The fact we haven't cut Vernon, for example, indicates to me that saving cap is not the priority. All FOs want to maximise the ROI. Vernon is talented but unlucky with injuries. Maybe next season, the dice roll with him.

Last edited by drobs; 02/18/20 07:20 AM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
About Carey,

Repeating what I've read in different sports reports. Both Burris and Murray have been mentioned as capable of playing in the slot. Don't know that to be true but this might have factored into Carey's release.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't want to sound like a broken record as I've said this before, but I met Carrie. He was probably the nicest, engaging, most polite Browns player I have had the chance/pleasure to meet. He was truly excited to be coming to the Browns...I met him maybe 3-4 months after he signed. I believe his wife is originally from the area and he played at Ohio U, so it was good for them in that regard..

But the guy was simply not good. There might have been a game or two where he would make a couple nice, consecutive plays on the ball but that was essentially it. He was flagged all the time as a result of not being able to stick with his WR. He was signed to starting CB money, and it was evident early on that was a big mistake. I don't believe it was that long into 2018 to where he lost his starting role.

I suppose the idea of a contract restructure could have been discussed, and maybe it was for all we know, but I think the FO decided they can get essentially anyone to do what Carrie did for us these past two years. Certainly cheaper.... and perhaps younger than 30, which is what he'll be come the start of the 2020 season. I think Carrie is what he is at this stage in his career and the upside just isn't there, IMO. Well, the upside is what money we get back for cutting him.

Best of luck, Carrie.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Gosh, can you imagine the uproar if we had cut players like Jamie Collins and Darren Fells to save a buck before we signed a free agent to replace them?

The double standard marches on...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Agreed that in order for Carrie to remain he would have had to restructure his contract. $8.1M was far too much for his on-field performance. And yes, he was one of the great guys and adults on the team.

Also, Terrance Mitchell had an overall coverage grade per PFF of 61.1 as compared to Carrie's overall coverage grade per PFF of 47.7.

Here are Carrie's numbers per PFF when covering only the slot...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

The way i see it, i think they just saved 14 million dollars. Hopefully that's all money being put together to make sure Schobert is here next season.

The only one of that bunch i question cutting is TJ Carrie. i get it, but as you said, he's valuable. He's a decent player who is versatile. But from what i remember, looking at his contract when he was signed, it always looked like year three he'd be cut.

I don't think losing any of these guys is something we can't come back from

I agree with this take on Carrie. Of the 4, this is the one I question. This does create a hole, and we are not up against the cap at this point.

The TE was a disappointment. He came he with the rep of being a good blocker with good hands, and did not show either.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Both Burris and Murray have been mentioned as capable of playing in the slot. Don't know that to be true but this might have factored into Carey's release.

Just an FYI, Eric Murray is a UFA.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I looked it up and the Browns will save $6.35 million with $1.8 million in dead money.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully cutting Carrie means they liked what they were seeing from Donnie Lewis at the end of the season.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't want to sound like a broken record as I've said this before, but I met Carrie. He was probably the nicest, engaging, most polite Browns player I have had the chance/pleasure to meet. He was truly excited to be coming to the Browns...I met him maybe 3-4 months after he signed. I believe his wife is originally from the area and he played at Ohio U, so it was good for them in that regard..

But the guy was simply not good. There might have been a game or two where he would make a couple nice, consecutive plays on the ball but that was essentially it. He was flagged all the time as a result of not being able to stick with his WR. He was signed to starting CB money, and it was evident early on that was a big mistake. I don't believe it was that long into 2018 to where he lost his starting role.

I suppose the idea of a contract restructure could have been discussed, and maybe it was for all we know, but I think the FO decided they can get essentially anyone to do what Carrie did for us these past two years. Certainly cheaper.... and perhaps younger than 30, which is what he'll be come the start of the 2020 season. I think Carrie is what he is at this stage in his career and the upside just isn't there, IMO. Well, the upside is what money we get back for cutting him.

Best of luck, Carrie.

IIRC, he had a big year w/ the Raiders (?) that led to this latest (very lucrative) contract. He cashed in off his contract year. Not a positive for the regime that signed him, but we've seen much much worse. Plus, he did help us out when we were banged up in the secondary.

We did fix a mistake regarding his contract by cutting him, but some of the hand-wringing is a bit much (by those that are doing it).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
If the Browns are able to add better players in place of those players they cut...they are helping the team.

If the Browns are cutting players just to escape paying the money without any present plan to upgrade the position..that can come back to hurt the team.

I knew you would be one of the first to complain about cutting players.

It's not about money, but I am barking up the wrong tree if I continue.

Stay clueless.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Taysom Hill (who is somehow 30 years old) and Teddy Bridgewater.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Mormon

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good gosh,,,,teams cutting players. How dare them.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player movement, off-season

Link Copied to Clipboard