OP Offline
Legend
D
Manfred is a knob.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Manfred is a knob.

MLB reportedly planning to change postseason format from 5 to 7 teams per league.

- Wild card game would go away
- First round would become best 2-of-3
- Top seed in each league gets a Bye
- Teams with best records would pick their opponents.
(via
@Joelsherman1
)

Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1226993415537090560

No idea who made this new playoff format proposal, but Rob is responsible for releasing it, so I’ll direct this to you, Rob Manfred. Your proposal is absurd for too many reasons to type on twitter and proves you have absolutely no clue about baseball. You’re a joke.

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1227053354741682176

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Trevor Bauer goes off on Rob Manfred about his playoff scheme, and the overall marketing approach of MLB under Manfred's leadership. Classic rant ... Trevor Bauer for Commissioner!

Legend
Legend
Jason Kipnis, in large part the heart and soul of the Indians teams during the 2010s, thanked the fans and organization in Cleveland in a heartfelt Instagram post on Wednesday.

Kipnis is reportedly close to signing a deal with the Chicago Cubs. The Indians declined his club option for the 2020 season earlier this winter and signed Cesar Hernandez to a one-year deal to start at second base.

Kipnis, 32 and a two-time All-Star, played through a rebuilding effort, a resurgence back to contention, a trip to the World Series in 2016, four total playoff appearances and three divisional titles in his nine seasons in Cleveland. Affectionately known as “Dirtbag,” Kipnis was a fan favorite over much of the past decade.

Now that it’s closer to being official that Kipnis will be elsewhere, he thanked both the franchise that gave him his start in the majors and the fans that supported him in Cleveland.

“Cleveland, I’ll keep it short... Thank you,” Kipnis wrote. “For taking a chance on me as an organization and as a fan base. You guys joined me on this ride to get this great org back to where it belonged, at the top competing for a WS every year! I’m sorry I couldn’t finish the job for you.

“You helped shape me into the person I am today and I’m forever grateful. From the polite and respectful greetings you showed my family, friends and I everywhere we went. Every restaurant, every bar, every heinen’s, everywhere! You made me feel 10 feet tall! Many of you went from fans, to familiar faces, to even friends. Keep that Rally Together spirit going for this team. You’re holding them to a high standard and that’s the way it should be. I was fortunate enough to play with some of the best teammates, coaching, medical and equipment staff in the game and wouldn’t have had the run i did without them. Many of which are lifelong friends now.

“I’ll always cherish my time in Cleveland and always tried to show you how much I loved wearing that jersey by the way I played for you! Forever grateful, forever part of the Tribe!

Thank you Cleveland.

Kip, Dirtbag, #22.”

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2020021...th-chicago-cubs

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Domingo Santana’s deal with #Indians is complete, source tells The Athletic. One year, $1.5M with $500K in roster bonuses. Also: $5M club option with $250K buyout. Value of option escalates by amount of each roster bonus he earns. So, could end up two-year, $7.5M deal.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1228303848474894338

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Perfect.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It starts ...

Legend
Legend
Mike Clevinger’s knee surgery reminds us why Carlos Carrasco needs to stay healthy

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2020/02/...ay-healthy.html

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio – It’s a lot to ask.

That’s what I was thinking when I started writing column about Mike Clevinger and Carlos Carrasco.

Most Cleveland Indians fans have heard Clevinger suffered a knee injury working out Wednesday. He had arthroscopic surgery to repair a partial tear of his left medial meniscus Friday.

The Indians said Clevinger will be out 6-to-8 weeks. It’s seem doubtful he’ll be ready for the opener March 26.

While Shane Bieber is the ace of the staff in the minds of most fans, I considered that role falling to Clevinger, especially after the trades of Trevor Bauer and Corey Kluber.

Bieber or Clevinger? You can debate which of these talented right arms you like best for the top of rotation. But you can feel good about either one having a strong 2020 season.

Over the last three seasons, Clevinger’s average record was 13-6 with a 2.96 ERA. Batters hit only .216 against him.

When healthy, the 29-year-old Clevinger has overpowering stuff.

Clevinger also has a very violent pitching motion that puts stress on his back and legs. Last season, he missed 10 weeks with a significant back injury.

So the Indians have to go slowly with Clevinger as he recovers from surgery, even if it’s considered “minor.”

THEY NEED CARRASCO

Which brings me to Carrasco. The right-hander was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia last June. He came back to pitch in September, and won the American League Comeback Player of the Year award.

Carrasco had a 6.60 ERA in 11 relief appearances after returning to the field. A couple of rocky outings inflated the numbers.

When several of us talked to Carrasco during Tribefest two weeks ago, he stressed he was healthy. He already was throwing some demanding bullpen sessions.

Early reports from spring training are encouraging.

"He graded out pretty well as far as strength and everything,” Manager Terry Francona told the media in Goodyear. “I thought he looked tremendous. I know he gets tired of us asking him how he’s doing. I said, ‘You’ve got to understand that we have to ask you.’ "

Now, more than ever, that’s true with Clevinger’s situation.

As Francona also told Carrasco: “We’d love for you to take the ball every five days and throw 200 innings.”

In 2017-18, Carrasco averaged 196 innings. He had a 35-16 record and 3.31 ERA in those two seasons.

Can he do that after his battle with leukemia?

Carrasco will be 33 on March 21. He appears to be in excellent physical condition and he is one of the most positive people you’ll ever meet.

Pitcher Jon Lester and first baseman Anthony Rizzo both beat lymphoma when they were in the Boston Red Sox organization. So there is reason for optimism about Carrasco, but we also are talking about a man who was fighting for his life last summer.

REMAKING THE ROTATION

Let’s assume Clevinger opens the season on the disabled list. That puts Bieber and Carrasco at the top of the rotation.

Adam Plutko (7-5, 4.86 ERA) is out of minor league options. He’ll likely have a spot.

For the final two rotation spots, that leaves Aaron Civale (3-4, 2.34 ERA) and Zach Plesac (8-6, 3.81 ERA), who both rose all the way from Class AA Akron last summer.

The Indians also like prospects Jefry Rodriguez and Scott Moss, but are they ready in March and April?

There are question marks about all the young starters. Can they hold up over an entire season?

The Indians know a healthy Carrasco not only can handle the innings, he is one of the best starters in the American League.

And for the Indians to be a contender, Carrasco now looms more important than ever.

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

I remember this at-bat like it was yesterday. This sucks.

Tackles are tackles.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I remember this at-bat like it was yesterday. This sucks.

Damn, that's sad. He was so good for the Tribe during that '97 run.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Get your bets in...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting. How long until this becomes the new norm?...

Legend
Legend
They'll be available online, evidently.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Correct, you'll be able to stream via the Tune-In app.

I currently use Tune-In Live to stream out-of-market games through Alexa.

This could be quite bad for the future of select local radio stations that have deals in place with sports franchises.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I hope they lose what's left of their fan base to the Giants.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Bron Bron weighs in...

(check his twitter feed)!

Last edited by Milk Man; 02/19/20 11:41 AM. Reason: masked profanity
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
My goodness.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I've seen this movie. Good grief.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Good news...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Frankie bombs one in his second AB of Spring Training...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Going to be a long season...

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I'll vote also for Trevor for commish. This new stuff is rewarding mediocrocy (sp),used this when playing in playground/little league back in '50s-'60s. You're taught to play to be the best and earn the championship outright,just shows ownership's greed. Bad enough we have long post season playoff now in place to get to World Series which was for the best regular season record team in AL vs NL before owners decided more teams-more money. This also tends to shorten careers due to overplaying less recoop time especially pitchers,weather effect in colder climates muscle injury regular position players.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Doubtful he'd throw a breaking ball if he really wanted to hit him. I heard former Indians' pitcher Brian Anderson on the radio today saying he'd put a fastball into to Bregman's rib cage if he was still pitching.

M
Legend
Legend
M

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
You wonder sometimes if the Indians need to review their training methods. They seem to have lots of lat and oblique area muscle strains.

Legend
Legend

Have not read the whole thread just dropped in.

So I don't know what has been discussed about Lindor leaving? So I apologize if this has been covered.

I follow the Tribe and the Braves having lived in Atl for a long time.

It is very sad to me that a player like Lindor apparently can not remain because the team can not pay him. Part of baseball is having a guy come up with a team and play there for his career.

I saw Chipper Jones play his first and last game with the Braves and that felt right.

I sure hope Lindor remains with the Tribe.

However, if he has to go and that happens near the trade deadline the Braves are the right team. They have a bunch of talent ready to come to the majors with no place to play right now. Two terrific outfielders Christian Pache and Drew Waters and a bunch of quality arms.

The Braves current SS is a former first pick in the draft Dansby Swanson. Great glove solid hitter. He is not Lindor but good. I could see the Braves possible going after Lindor. They have the players to pull off win win trade.

The big question for them though is the same how much money can they afford. They have Ronald Acuna and Ozzie Albies two young cornerstone players locked up for like eight years on great team deals. But even with that they don't have the money like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, and others.

However, just this year with revenue from a new park and back to back division wins. Liberty Mutual the owners have stated they want to go for it all. And they may be willing to come up with the dough.

The Tribe could get some really good young talent under team control for many years at low cost.

Something to keep an eye on.

Legend
Legend
Lindor to the Braves might make sense. I’ve also heard Baltimore given their farm and financial situations.

He almost certainly will be traded IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Lindor to the Braves might make sense. I’ve also heard Baltimore given their farm and financial situations.

He almost certainly will be traded IMO

Who did you hear Baltimore from? Cal Ripken?

Legend
Legend

Makes sense on many levels. They wanted to resign Donaldson but were not willing to go beyond a three year deal.

They have a young power hitting third baseman Austin Riley who they moved to the outfield last year. His natural position is third. He is in competition this spring to start at third.

Swanson signed a one year deal for $3.1 mil.

Lindor would be the type guy they may go all out for given his age.

The Braves have six prospects in the top 100 with another who should have been included. Both position players and pitchers.

Dansby is a major league starting SS for any team and he just turned 26. His best years are in front of him.

The Braves have about a five year window to grab a ring. Lindor is the kind of player that could put them over the top.

They want to see how the first half plays out but they could very well pull the trigger come July.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Some thoughts on the Cheating Scandal.

--I am almost always a pro-player guy. However, granting immunity to all the players is so freaking lame. It comes across as if MLB knew there was too much information out there to ignore the cheating scandal and launched an investigation to protect as many of the people who create revenue as possible.

--I am making a second bullet-point about this because I feel this strongly about it. The players should have been suspended. I have shared on here many times about playing and coaching sports. I despise a cheater.

--The World Series trophy is not just a piece of metal. Dumb comment.

--Houston should lose their WS crown. Don't give it to another team. Just take it away from them.

--I would even consider banning them from post-season play for 1-3 years. That might be too drastic because it would reduce competition.

--Houston's owner came across as a jerk. The statement about the cheating not impacting the games was one of the worst comments I have ever heard considering the circumstances.

--I pitched and played SS in high school. I grew up w/Harry Jones and Mudcat Grant announcing Indians games. Mudcat would utter "...a little chin music, Harry!" So, I always understood the tradition and importance of brushing a hitter off the plate. However, times have changed. I am not sure that intentionally hitting a guy w/a hard object that is traveling at over 90 MPH is something baseball should tolerate. The Tony Conigliaro story, who was hit by I believe--Jack Hamilton--is proof of that. I am not saying this will happen, but imagine.........a pitcher throws at a Houston batter and the batter is severely injured or killed. What kind of look is that for baseball?

--I do support the fans continued booing of Houston's players.

Legend
Legend
I agree the title should be taken away but not given to another team.

An unjust decision to suspend the manager and GM and do nothing to the players. At minimum their WS bonus money and a stiff fine should have been handed out.

I have a deep love for the game of baseball and a thorough knowledge of it's history. Sign stealing has been going on for many moons. Houston took it to a new level and got caught. The fans around the league will be all over them and rightfully so.

Sports are a part of our fabric. But every sport has had scandals. Strange that we love competition and at the same time the drive to win at all cost has been a poison.

Every year at this time I can't wait for baseball to begin. It has been a part of my routine of life for as long as I remember. I miss coaching and the dugout big time. I love the smell of the grass in the spring and the sounds of the game.

When I see young men in their prime report to spring training I think wow what a life to have. Being young without a ache in your body. Playing ball and getting paid a ton of dough. I could do that for all eternity. Like coming out of the corn.

Last edited by bonefish; 02/28/20 11:06 AM.
Legend
Legend
Carlos Carrasco is throwing a live batting practice session today. Aaron Civale will do so tomorrow. Next step for both would be actual game action.

Mike Clevinger could start a throwing program as soon as today.

Roberto Perez will start at catcher Sat., his first spring game.

https://twitter.com/ZackMeisel/status/1233438030330884096

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Not too surprising with the game being played in March and a real possibility of a cancellation/rescheduling. I passed on them this year when they had the presale for STH...

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum MLB "Hot Stove League" thread

Link Copied to Clipboard