Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02...-necessary.html

Browns GM Andrew Berry will listen to trade offers for Odell Beckham Jr. and others but ‘we view him as part of our future’
By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
INDIANAPOLIS — The Browns seem committed to moving forward with receiver Odell Beckham Jr., but new GM Andrew Berry, who promises to be aggressive, will listen to trade offers for the three-time Pro Bowler.

“I won’t discuss any specific player in terms of trade opportunities, trade calls or anything like that,’’ Berry said when specifically asked about Beckham. “I did work under probably the strongest wheeler-dealer in the league under [Eagles GM] Howie Roseman and it’s something that you always pick up the phone and you listen to anything across the table.

“A lot of trade talk ends up being hollow across the NFL anyway. But again, we’re going to exploit any opportunity to improve the roster through any means necessary.’’

Berry and coach Kevin Stefanski, who both addressed the national media at the NFL Scouting Combine on Tuesday, spoke in glowing terms of Beckham and Jarvis Landry, and sounded eager to have them on the roster despite both coming off surgeries. Beckham underwent a core muscle procedure on Jan. 21st and Landry a hip surgery on Feb. 4th that will keep him sidelined until at least August.

"Odell’s a very talented football player,'' Berry said. "We view him as part of our future. Kevin and I both have had really good conversations about our expectations for him and we expect him to adapt to those moving forward. We’re excited about the future with Odell, excited about what he’s going to do this fall.''

Mary Kay Cabot
✔
@MaryKayCabot
#Browns Andrew Berry when I asked him if he’d listen to offers for Odell Beckham Jr:

Embedded video
1:27 PM - Feb 25, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
36 people are talking about this
Berry said the surgeries won’t impact his approach to the receiver position in the draft or free agency because they’re both on the mend and expected to be fully healthy for the 2020 season.

"I don’t think it has a significant impact in terms of our strategic planning,'' Berry said. "Both of these guys are more than well on their way from a rehabilitative perspective and we expect them to be significant contributors in the fall. So the injury situations from my perspective wouldn’t really influence it one way or the other.''

Kevin Stefanski has talked to Beckham and Landry about learning the system and taking mental reps when they’re not with the team.

"[I] have spoken to both of those guys about it and how they have to be very proactive about learning the system maybe when you’re not getting reps due to an injury,'' he said. "I’ve been able to spend some time with them as they’ve been working with Joe [Sheehan] and the medical staff.”

Last season, Baker Mayfield struggled to develop chemistry especially with Beckham since he couldn’t practice during the week.

"That’s our job as coaches to make sure when we have the guys available to us that we’re getting really good work,'' he said. "The pass game is about precision and timing so that’s something we have to really harp on and make sure we give them a plan.''

Trade speculation will swirl around Beckham this offseason because he stated last season that he didn’t know what the future held in 2020. He later amended that to say he’ll be with the Browns and is excited to be a part of this team, but teams will undoubtedly call about him nevertheless.

Beckham: ‘I’m not going anywhere; it’s just too special to leave'

One si.com report last week stated that Beckham would welcome a trade to the Jets, but a source told cleveland.com that’s unlikely to happen.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
There is so much wrong with this article.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
yep... I think it probably should go in the trash.

Just like MKC.

Fun fact... she doesn't write 1/2 of her articles. Other people at the office do it for her and publish them as hers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

No doubt. I'm still shaking my head.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Just like MKC.

Fun fact... she doesn't write 1/2 of her articles. Other people at the office do it for her and publish them as hers.

There might be something to that because that article was all over the place and one sentence would contradict another.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Then why post it?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Just like MKC.

There might be something to that because that article was all over the place and one sentence would contradict another.

I know with 100% certainty. I worked there for 4 years and watched it happen.

Legend
Legend

Just like MKC.

I remember years ago. somebody jokingly wrote a program that would automatically write New York Times articles. It basically would pull frequent quotes and sentences found in articles and randomly insert them into a mish-mosh of a story, and the results usually looked pretty similar to an actual NYT article. Probably similar technology going on here.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Starting with the title. She's an asshat.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I mean, we “could” trade anybody ... not just OBJ. I dont think we will of course

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
MKC stirring the pot... I'm not sure much more could be said.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Agreed

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
JOE SCHOBERT
LB, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Speaking Tuesday, Browns GM Andrew Berry said impending free agent MLB Joe Schobert has "earned the right to test the market."

Translation, the Browns are not currently close to meeting Schobert's asking price. Berry did say the sides will talk at the Combine. The No. 99 overall pick of the 2016 draft is coming off a play-making 2019, though one where he actually earned negative marks from Pro Football Focus. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports "half a dozen teams or more could be interested" in the 26-year-old. He has been an every-down player for three seasons.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Feb 25, 2020, 9:40 PM ET

rofl ...

He’s earned the right ... i wonder if he’ll feel that way about MG & Chubb when there time comes ...

He’s earned the right .... rofl ..

Legend
Legend
Translation: "We are too far apart on numbers, so we are going to let the market set his price."

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not Scwatzing him would be a HUGE upgrade from Sashi’s reign ... thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Translation: "We are too far apart on numbers, so we are going to let the market set his price."

That damned GM should get him locked up before the FA signing period begins!

Never mind. Wrong GM.

naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

At this point in the off-season I'm not sure why any player wouldn't test the free agent market.

Legend
Legend
Free Agency starts in 12 days, I believe.
Real negotiating on new deals for current players start now.

When an agent gets too dug in on demands, you tell them to go see what you can get on the open market. Either the agent will be validated or we will (like with Schwartz). I just hope like Hell that we aren't as stubborn as we were with Schwartz and keep our offers out there and do NOT try to play games with them. Be above-board and players will respect them; and that carries weight.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

All the hedging on here is hysterical.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Safe to say, Schobert is a valuable member of this team. He is someone that we "should" want to retain.

But, if Joe is going to cost us a ton of money that his skill set doesn't justify, then let him walk.

I would rather he stay, but like I said, I've moved away from player loyalty. They have none to us as Fans.... Lip server, sure, we get that a lot, but in the end, no loyalty.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
And the owners have no loyalty to players. Life is a two way street.

I don't blame any man who has a very limited career putting his family first.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Speaking Tuesday, Browns GM Andrew Berry said impending free agent MLB Joe Schobert has "earned the right to test the market."

It's odd that all the folks blasted Dorsey because he hadn't yet re-signed Schobert are now strangely quiet.

Wonder why that is?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It's odd that all the folks blasted Dorsey because he hadn't yet re-signed Schobert are now strangely quiet.

Wonder why that is?

because Berry isn't even close to being qualified to be a GM in the NFL.

what can we expect out of him besides making a ton of stupid moves that will hurt the team?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure how to interpret your post, but I'm not slamming Berry for not signing Joe. I'm just pointing out that folks were so upset that Dorsey hadn't signed Joe and now they are not saying a word.

I think the answer is rather obvious.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Because it is pretty simple.

This is what I've said multiple times, but here is a comment back in November.

Quote:
But this is what happens when you continually switch FO every other January. The new FO has very little time to restart negotiations and relationships with two months to go before a FA period begins. The real blame, IMO, on both of those contracts goes to Farmer (Schwartz) and Banner (Mack) because those type of extensions should have been handed out one year before their FA rather than heading into a new year and those players getting talked into their ear about how much money they could make on the open market.

Instead of Banner extending Mack while he was here, Farmer was forced to make a decision between tagging Mack or TJ Ward. We could have had both. Instead we get some wild ass contract with an opt out for Mack after two years and Whitner (who as a disaster) instead of Ward.

Instead of Farmer extending Schwartz, we have a new FO heading into the FA with four to five starters from the prior season at the end of their rookie contract heading to the open market in less than two months. What a cluster.

Still, Schwartz should have been the priority from Sashi and Co. and they should get blame and it was a mistake but lack of obvious moves from prior FOs have hauted player retention that should have remained long-term.

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...nds#Post1691803

So yes, that is why people who understand what happens with FO changes in January are pointing the finger at Dorsey in large part if Schobert goes to the market and never comes back. Dorsey didn't do it when he had the chance to (if he even wanted to) and now a new group is picking up the pieces for all parts of the organization in a couple months' time.

Most on here are well aware you're simply trolling, but felt it important to bring this perspective back to the forefront during FA because this is an issue the organization (and fans) have had to face quite a bit recently.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So the fact that he is asking for too much money isn't the same with both GM's? It's odd how his price tag works as a good enough reason for one but wasn't good enough for the other.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So the fact that he is asking for too much money isn't the same with both GM's? It's odd how his price tag works as a good enough reason for one but wasn't good enough for the other.

It's a FACT he is asking for too much money? Where are you getting his asking demands?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
So the fact that he is asking for too much money

well, to be fair.... (insert Letterkenny references) this is only a guess by us on the outside based solely on Berry's comment. We actually have no information that directly supports this.... so, it isn't fact, it is merely supposition.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 02/26/20 02:56 PM.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
And when the guy hits free agency opposing teams always overpay for other players, which is why you want to do these contracts far in advance. You know, like the year before.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Let me pose this to you. If his demands were in the realm of being what the team considers negotiable and reasonable, why wouldn't they just sign him rather than let him hit the FA market?

A teams first option isn't bidding against 31 other teams for a players contract.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
And when the guy hits free agency opposing teams always overpay for other players, which is why you want to do these contracts far in advance. You know, like the year before.

Yeah, he would have reduced his asking price a few months ago. The excuses you guys come up with are comical.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So his price was going to increase?

You seem to be lacking how the business end of this works. A players agent knows what he values the player at. The players pay these agents tons of cash to know their value and get the most their talent allows for.

This "home town discount" and thinking a player will somehow miraculously devalue themselves mid season is a pipe dream.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Very true, all of it.... but we don't know if they are too high or if we're too low. All we know is that we can surmise they are far apart on their thinking right now because they aren't moving forward; they're instead taking the stand-offish stance.

So, we can kinda see what it is, but we cannot see or know the degree.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Pit only used 1/2 the equation ... your correct in that what he said was true but leaving out 1/2 the equation is BullCrap ...

The team also puts a value on a player and isn’t going to overspend ....

There’s clearly a gap here ... Pit wants to run his mouth like he knows the numbers being discussed .... NO ONE on here knows the numbers being discussed ... so how Pit comes to his conclusion is odd on a good day ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
The agent knows, in general, teams will most likely overpay for FA in the market....especially in the first day or two with the bidding is at its highest. In a regime change in the early part of the year and with FA looming, it makes a lot more sense only a few weeks for that camp to test the market if a deal isn't struck ahead of time.

Our chance to get Joe locked up decreased the minute the season ended. You can say he was asking for too much as it relates to the LB position and his actual value and claim it as fact, but you have no idea. If anything, there was disconnect between perceived value. That value difference is not a static number and is based on the variables involved. In this case, the variables were Dorsey and Joe's team. But value difference may not be the same between Berry and Joe's team. But this stage in the process before FA and being just weeks away, why not test FA and see if the bidding increases market value? Nah, I think I understand how this business works just fine.

No one is talking about a home-town discount as in him taking a significant amount less to stay here. That's silly and not being presented by anyone.

Quote:
The players pay these agents tons of cash to know their value

But it doesn't mean they are right....just ask Mitchell Schwartz when he went to FA in 2016 having to come back to Cleveland and try to get the original deal.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't say the agent was right on their value. Sometimes the team isn't right.

But on both accounts that value is set. Your assertion is that somehow that value increases or decreases by some magic formula as the season is coming to a close. I do not in any way believe that is correct.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Very true, all of it.... but we don't know if they are too high or if we're too low. All we know is that we can surmise they are far apart on their thinking right now because they aren't moving forward; they're instead taking the stand-offish stance.

So, we can kinda see what it is, but we cannot see or know the degree.
This is correct, but the issue here is, we don't know if AB is a good GM. All we know is that the track record we do have to go off of, is that they undervalue players, and over-overvalue assets.

So it is VERY possible that they are undervaluing Joe, and offering him a scumbag contract - knowing the fans will be on their side if Joe balks at it. "Your turning your back on the team, Joe!"

Ab was part of the FO that drafted Joe, the same FO that said we need to draft retain our good players.

I am all for letting Joe walk if he is asking insane money. But it comes out that Joe was asking a fair amount, and we balked trying to play cute, well...I wouldn't be surprised, but ill be extremely mad.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Imagine claiming someone is making up a magic formula while themselves claiming as fact that Schobert is asking for too much money in his contract extension without having a clue what he is asking for.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
we don't know

There, I summed it up for you smile

There are 12 days until free agency begins; I will be surprised if this is the one and only meet/conversation that Berry and Joe's agent has over the next 10-12 days.

Berry is a new GM, agents are going to try to see what they can get by him... I kinda expect initial discussions to be a bit far apart.

Quote:
But it comes out that Joe was asking a fair amount, and we balked trying to play cute, well...I wouldn't be surprised, but ill be extremely mad.

Ditto.
In no way will I find it acceptable for us to have another Schwartz situation. By the same token, I don't want the front office getting bullied into bad contracts by agents just because they're afraid of losing a guy if they stand their ground. It's been said that a good deal is one where both sides feel they've won.

If they are as smart as we all believe them to be, they not only have set Joe's value, but they've set it relative to everyone else they expect to be available and not just blindly going off whatever the highest paid at the position is.

If you know you can get Billy Bob from some other team for $12 million and he is an equal or better player, then you hold your ground when Joe's agent tells you $14 million. It isn't just about Joe, but also about everyone else that will be out there, and since the Giants just released two linebackers, that may soften Joe's market value.

Browns is the Browns

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM Andrew Berry will listen to trade offers for Odell Beckham Jr. and others

Link Copied to Clipboard