Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
There are 12 days until free agency begins; I will be surprised if this is the one and only meet/conversation that Berry and Joe's agent has over the next 10-12 days.

Agreed. I hope they can pan something out before it "officially" starts, but I have my doubts.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Worst case: Malik Harrison will be sitting there for us in the 3rd round wink

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Imagine claiming someone is making up a magic formula while themselves claiming as fact that Schobert is asking for too much money in his contract extension without having a clue what he is asking for.
I don't think that's what said.

What pitt implied is that the Cleveland Browns have set a value for Joe, and Joes agent set a value for Joe.

He is saying, based on what has happened, that Joe is asking for more money than the Cleveland Browns have valued him at. He didn't say was asking for too much, just more than the Browns offered.

Because if Joe wasn't asking for more than the Browns offered, he more than likely would have been signed.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
If they are as smart as we all believe them to be, they not only have set Joe's value, but they've set it relative to everyone else they expect to be available and not just blindly going off whatever the highest paid at the position is.

If you know you can get Billy Bob from some other team for $12 million and he is an equal or better player, then you hold your ground when Joe's agent tells you $14 million. It isn't just about Joe, but also about everyone else that will be out there, and since the Giants just released two linebackers, that may soften Joe's market value.
Completely agree.

My issue is, they Billy Bob is worth about 2 million, and they pay him 3 million, saving the 11 million from Joe, but he gives you 1.5 million effort.

That's pretty much what we saw the last time we did this numbers thing in the FO.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I didn't say the agent was right on their value. Sometimes the team isn't right.

But on both accounts that value is set. Your assertion is that somehow that value increases or decreases by some magic formula as the season is coming to a close. I do not in any way believe that is correct.

Reading is fundamental. It's too much according to the teams evaluation. If it weren't the team would have signed him.

To borrow one from diam here.....

0+0=0

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
If my boss told me I'd earned the right to join another department I'd think she didn't like me.

LOL...what a dumb thing to say.

The Cleveland Browns...consistently getting rid of good players for the last three decades. Good players aren't good enough. Need a HOF at every position.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
What pitt implied is that the Cleveland Browns have set a value for Joe, and Joes agent set a value for Joe.

Pit literally said Joe was asking for too much money w/o having any idea if that was true or not. Perhaps Dorsey could have easily been punting another guy from the past regime off the roster that he wasn't responsible for and wanted to start his guys, Wilson, Takitaki, & A. Taylor and, as result there was no chance at a deal. We've seen that before but at least I'm not claiming that is a fact. He was claiming Joe was asking for too much $ w/o really knowing a thing. I've heard things that Dorsey never really approached Schobert about a deal.

How about this:

https://chroniclet.com/news/182983/brown...-extension-yet/

One can make an assumption that numbers weren't really discussed. I/m not claiming it as fact but there was several things out there that extension talks were ever really happening.

Anyways......

But even with your comment interpreting his, I still disagree. Maybe the value was set for Joe in Dorsey's opinion. And that's why a deal wasn't struck. But Berry's value of Joe and Dorsey's value can be something completely different in terms of a contract. That's why I said earlier the perceived value is not static number and based on the person making the decision at least ahead of FA. It can fluctuate based on opinion. But as many people have suggested, and I agree, at this point it makes sense for Joe to see in FA is team will overpay on the market for his services. I think that is where he is headed but hope a deal can be struck ahead of time.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

It's been explained to you but you just keep harping on about it. Enjoy.....

The asking price for Joe was obviously too high for either of them to sign him or he wouldn't be hitting the FA market.

Please do continue though....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
If they are as smart as we all believe them to be, they not only have set Joe's value, but they've set it relative to everyone else they expect to be available and not just blindly going off whatever the highest paid at the position is.

If you know you can get Billy Bob from some other team for $12 million and he is an equal or better player, then you hold your ground when Joe's agent tells you $14 million. It isn't just about Joe, but also about everyone else that will be out there, and since the Giants just released two linebackers, that may soften Joe's market value.
Completely agree.

My issue is, they Billy Bob is worth about 2 million, and they pay him 3 million, saving the 11 million from Joe, but he gives you 1.5 million effort.

That's pretty much what we saw the last time we did this numbers thing in the FO.

I will simply refer you to all the prior statements about how the goals of the team were different then and advise you to let that thought simmer until understanding sets in.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
No...this is what he said:

Quote:
So the fact that he is asking for too much money isn't the same with both GM's? It's odd how his price tag works as a good enough reason for one but wasn't good enough for the other.

and then he clarified by saying the team as a value set for him in a post after that.

The FACT that Joe hasn't signed a contract extension, says that the Browns have value X and Joe and his agent feel they have value Z.

He is implying that that Joe's asking price is too much for the BROWNS. Another team could say, he we think your worth Y, Joe, heres our offer.

Quote:
Perhaps Dorsey could have easily been punting another guy from the past regime off the roster that he wasn't responsible for and wanted to start his guys
So then what is AB and Depo doing now, they were part of Drafting Joe, where they not?

Quote:
That's why I said earlier the perceived value is not static number based on the person making the decision. It can fluctuate based on opinion. But as many people have suggested, and I agree, at this point it makes sense for Joe to see in FA is team will overpay on the market for his services. I think that is where he is headed but hope a deal can be struck ahead of time.
That's all nice and dandy, but we know that's not the case - as its been widely reported John Dorsey never even reached out to Joe's Agent. So we KNOW, that the offer being presented now, is the first offer he's received from the Browns.

Which takes us back to the point, that more than likely, Joe and his reps feel that offer is too low, and the team feels its his value thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M

And then this drops. If so, I'll stand corrected in terms of the new regime not valuing Joe as high as I think they will/should.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
[/quote]

I will simply refer you to all the prior statements about how the goals of the team were different then and advise you to let that thought simmer until understanding sets in.

[/quote]

Oh, its a wait and see thing, absolutely.

I didn't claim it was going to happen, I just said it I will be mad if did.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
as its been widely reported John Dorsey never even reached out to Joe's Agent. So we KNOW, that the offer being presented now, is the first offer he's received from the Browns.

Yes, it could very well be.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

And then this drops. If so, I stand corrected.

Im don't look at it as a right wrong thing - I don't have the history you two have with each other. I was just explaining what I read in his post.

I saw what you were saying, I was just trying to play peacemaker and explain what pitt was trying to say.

as far as the tweet you posted, if there is a market for Joe, I would ASSume that means several teams are interested in his services.

To me, that means Joe IS worth more than the Browns are willing to pay.

This is where I have a problem with the FO.

Joe is a stand up player, we drafted him. He is a leader on the field and in locker room. he is young, still able to get better, and produced on a team that has well, stunk forever.

We have roughly what, 60 million in cap space. Retaining Joe is not going to break us.

If we find out that joe signs with another team for a reasonable amount of money for her services - that's all I need to have seen from this FO. Dollars over wins.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Im don't look at it as a right wrong thing

I don't look at it as a right or wrong thing w/ Pit I think his argument is silly and wavering. I look at is as a right/wrong thing with me thinking Berry's perceived value of Schobert is higher than that of Dorsey's. I don't think Dorsey had intentions of signing Schobert at all.

Going to the market means his camp feels teams are going to overspend for Joe, like they do for a handful of players early on.

He is worth paying, I completely agree, which is why it would have been best to extend him last season.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
You see/hear what else Zac Jackson said during that interview?...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
the way I look at it is this:

Alec Ogletree
Lavonte David
Benardrick McKinney
Eric Kendricks

Is Joe better than any of those guys?

Id take him over Ogletree
I would say Lavonte David and him are about similar in production - maybe Joe edging him out but could make case either way.
Hes better then McKinney
And I would say better then Kendricks as well.

All those guys are in the 10mill area for average per year.

If we offered him less than that, we low balled him IMO.

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

To be fair, Keith Britton is a nobody. hes a writer. plain and simple (and I actually with this - its doenst mean anything).

with a Healthy Ben in Pitts, we are number 3 in the division.

M
Legend
Legend
M
He is not a writer, he is a producer. He is quoting a writer....Zac Jackson of The Athletic.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
As far as the 'he said/she said'...

In just about any article about Schobert that came out this season, it was mentioned that he was looking at big bucks coming his way this FA. The word on the street ("for what it's worth" preface here) was that he's in line for a big contract. I think a certain amount of that fueled the "he's demanding too much money" argument.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
He is not a writer, he is a producer. He is quoting a writer....Zac Jackson of The Athletic.
Well, that even backs what I said more so lol.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

In just about any article about Schobert that came out this season, it was mentioned that he was looking at big bucks coming his way this FA. The word on the street ("for what it's worth" preface here) was that he's in line for a big contract. I think a certain amount of that fueled the "he's demanding too much money" argument.
and I bet he will get it, and we will be left with a hole at MLB to add to the list of needs we have.

We are so thin at LB as is, I think its wise they would consider that into their calculations.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

All this is moot if Baker plays well.

It really boils down to Baker. Have a bounce back season and improvement on his rookie season and they could be a contender. But if the real Baker is last year's Baker or somewhere in between 1st year and 2nd year, not only will Zac be right but the Browns may be looking for a new QB.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

and I bet he will get it, and we will be left with a hole at MLB to add to the list of needs we have.

We are so thin at LB as is, I think its wise they would consider that into their calculations.
I 100% agree with you, and I hope we are the one that give it to him, albeit hesitantly. I get why we'd be against giving him a top'ish LB contract, but I don't see how we realistically expect to field a competent LB corps without.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Well, that even backs what I said more so lol.

Not sure how, but ok! thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Finally! MKC found something negative to put out there, nothing positive here in this tripe.

Redefines "blinders on." How about pumping us up for once?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Sucks. She was on a roll there, for a minute.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Schobert is THE MOST OVERRATED Browns player on the team...

I do NOT understand the love for the centerpiece of a CONSISTENTLY UNDER PERFORMING DEFENSE!

We have THE SOFTEST defense in the league.

This defense cannot move forward with Schobert in the middle...period.

Just my $0.02....

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Not sure how to interpret your post, but I'm not slamming Berry for not signing Joe. I'm just pointing out that folks were so upset that Dorsey hadn't signed Joe and now they are not saying a word.

I think the answer is rather obvious.

I'm saying Berry shouldn't be a GM and he is more than likely going to make a ton of rookie GM/terrible moves.

Also, Dorsey didn't really have the entire offseason to resign Sho. I think he probably would have.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Also, Dorsey didn't really have the entire offseason to resign Sho. I think he probably would have.

What gives you that indication?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
rofl

It's been explained to you but you just keep harping on about it. Enjoy.....

The asking price for Joe was obviously too high for either of them to sign him or he wouldn't be hitting the FA market.

Please do continue though....

The difference is that, if you re-sign a player while he still has games to play under his current contract, the team would be taking on the injury risk rather than the player, so the price is generally less than if the player makes it to the end of his contract healthy.

If a player gets seriously injured during that final season, he's likely to make less money in free agency, which is why the deals are slightly more team friendly if you do them early. That and you're not bidding against other teams.

Now it's in the players best interest to see how much he can make. He's not risking injury on the field which could impact future earnings. Berry doesn't have that "leverage."

I've generally leaned towards Schobert being somewhat overrated, so I'm not that upset that either guy didn't/hasn't signed him.

Joe's a nice guy and he's football smart. He's not a bad player. However, saying he's the best leader on our D, in my opinion, says more about the rest of our D than it does about him. We need to do a better job developing "leaders" and drafting guys with those characteristics. I'm hoping Kirksey can temporarily fill that void if Joe ends up elsewhere. Getting a compensatory pick would soften the blow of losing him, but we've got some holes that, if we fill them in FA, might cancel such a comp pick out.

While we've had some talented guys, a bunch of them have kind of been knuckleheads. We've had some loud talkers, but not really vocal leaders on the field keeping guys focused and on point for some time. Joe gets guys on D lined up right, but I've never really felt he's the heart of the D or anything like that. Brains perhaps, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that gets others fired up to follow him into battle so to speak. I'm still not sure how no one from our squad did a better job of/tried to de-escalate the Myles-Rudolph incident.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I couldn't even read all the crap after I posted what I did. All I know is that I read stuff like "Dorsey's really dropping the ball by not signing Schobert," "Why aren't more people questioning Dorsey," "we have to keep Schobert," "Dorsey doesn't want Schobert because the previous regime drafted him," "Dorsey is so overrated," Etc, etc.

Now, those same guys aren't saying boo-peep about Joe's status. And they say I have an agenda and am trolling. What amazes me the most is how more people can't see through their lies and deceit.

For what it's worth..........I am not blasting either Dorsey or Berry. I don't know how much money Joe's people want. I don't even know his true value. So, it's kind of hard for me to take a strong stance either way. I do think he is a very good player. I think he is extremely smart and very important to a D's pass defense. I also think he is a good dude and hope the Browns keep him.

I just wanted to point out how full of crap some of our more vocal posters are. You know, the same guys who trash Landry.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This is what Joe Schobert had to say about Dorsey and his agent, "I let my agent handle all this kind of stuff, but my understanding is we haven’t gotten any offers so can’t really build on it from there."

Berry, who has had the job for five minutes, is meeting with Schobert's agent.

Dorsey had all of last off-season and the season to sign Schobert to an extension and didn't do it.

If a player reaches this point of the off-season they should probably just wait to hit the free agent market. So comparing Dorsey and Berry with regards to Schobert seems unfair.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Perhaps you should re-read my posts. I am not criticizing Berry. I am talking about the double-standard of certain posters.

I'll leave it at that and won't get into a "poop" exchange w/you.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Perhaps you should re-read my posts. I am not criticizing Berry. I am talking about the double-standard of certain posters.

I'll leave it at that and won't get into a "poop" exchange w/you.

Maybe some are having double standards. I don't know. Others probably realize it's a nuanced situation.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Look at what you are saying. You quote Joe saying something about him not believing they got any offers and then you mention that Berry met w/him. Did Berry present any offers? Do you know that Dorsey did not even meet w/him?

Dude, just stop!

This deception stuff is out of control.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Let me sum this thread up, and hopefully the refs will lock it.

Nobody here knows jackshit about Schobert’s contract negotiation. Nor does anyone here know jackshit about what the previous front office did with said contract.

The whole thread is hot air.

Talk about football.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Look at what you are saying. You quote Joe saying something about him not believing they got any offers and then you mention that Berry met w/him. Did Berry present any offers? Do you know that Dorsey did not even meet w/him?

Dude, just stop!

This deception stuff is out of control.

You constantly cite articles and quotes as definitive proof of a position when it supports you. Now cfr produced an actual quote from Schobert and you find a way to discount it.

You are by far...and I mean very far...the most deceitful poster on here. I mean it's not even close.

Deceitful!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With depleted to almost no linebackers, we want to say bye to Joe?

I won't be surprised to see him go, because this clown show continues.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
If my boss told me I'd earned the right to join another department I'd think she didn't like me.

LOL...what a dumb thing to say.

The Cleveland Browns...consistently getting rid of good players for the last three decades. Good players aren't good enough. Need a HOF at every position.

No it wasn't. When you read the entire statement you will see it was a respectful comment.

Joe and agent want to see what the market holds.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 02/27/20 07:38 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM Andrew Berry will listen to trade offers for Odell Beckham Jr. and others

Link Copied to Clipboard