Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Also, Dorsey didn't really have the entire offseason to resign Sho. I think he probably would have.

What gives you that indication?

Dorsey being fired is a pretty good indication. rofl

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Randall posted a cryptic tweet.

I wonder what that is about.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Randall posted a cryptic tweet.

I wonder what that is about.

My guess is that he still hadn't been to sleep at 5 in the morning and some tomfoolery broke out at whatever spot he was at.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If it was a good thing to sign him last season, it's a good thing to sign him now. Stop with the double standard.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
What are you talking about?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is what Joe Schobert had to say about Dorsey and his agent, "I let my agent handle all this kind of stuff, but my understanding is we haven’t gotten any offers so can’t really build on it from there."

Berry, who has had the job for five minutes, is meeting with Schobert's agent.

Dorsey had all of last off-season and the season to sign Schobert to an extension and didn't do it.

If a player reaches this point of the off-season they should probably just wait to hit the free agent market. So comparing Dorsey and Berry with regards to Schobert seems unfair.

I have no idea what you mean here. Are you trying to say that Dorsey had no idea what Joe and his agent were asking for? Because that's not what it says. It says Dorsey didn't make any offer.

That's exactly the same thing Berry is doing. Berry knows the price tag and rather than make offers to his agent, he's letting him hit the open market.

That's not "meeting with his agent".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's fairly simple. Both Dorsey and Berry thought the price tag for Joe was too high. Neither made him an offer. They both did the same thing and took the same action.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
If it was a good thing to sign him last season, it's a good thing to sign him now. Stop with the double standard.

It was a good thing then and it is now. Which is why I want to sign him and stay. How is that a double standard?

Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's fairly simple. Both Dorsey and Berry thought the price tag for Joe was too high. Neither made him an offer. They both did the same thing and took the same action.

How do we know Berry has offered a contract? Players have been offered contract before and guys still go to the market. To reference a prior example, Sashi offered a contract to Schwartz before FA and he still went to the market? Simply because someone goes to the market doesn't mean a contract wasn't offered. You're making stuff up as fact. All we know is Berry is/was planning on meeting Joe's team at the combine. For all we know that meeting hasn't even happened yet as the combine goes through 3/1. Maybe a contract won't be offered, who knows? Certainly not you at this point.

Do you have some info we don't that you like to share? We have a quote from Joe about no contract from Dorsey. That's it up to this point.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

And while the new team management under GM Andrew Berry and head coach Kevin Stefanski would like to have Schobert back, they know the time has passed for them to make sure the standout LB doesn’t hit the open market. That’s not a situation the new GM likes, and he made it clear in his press conference here at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine that he will do whatever he can to avoid letting important players get to this stage.

Berry was asked about being more proactive in the future to avoid situations like what has evolved with Schobert.

“That is one of the things that we believe at our core that we are going to be aggressive in pre-market extensions for players that we view as pillar players, long-term fixtures for our organization,” Berry responded.

He later brought up the same exact term “pre-market extension” when asked about the importance of continuity in the team-building process.

As for Schobert’s potential to return, Berry noted “we are going to spend some time here with his representation this week”.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/...s-joe-schobert/

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Do you have some info we don't that you like to share? We have a quote from Joe about no contract from Dorsey. That's it up to this point.

I have the same information you do. Berry said that Joe will hit the FA market. If he didn't think the asking price was too high, he would have signed him. When the price is too high to be able to go into negotiations, you let the player his the market.

You're really reaching on this one.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I have the same information you do.

Which doesn't confirm anything about a contract offer from Berry, just that the sides are expected to meet at some point (maybe already happened). Thank you for confirming. We all appreciate it.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Still, Berry represents renewed hope for Schobert remaining with the Browns. Berry was the vice president of player personnel for the Browns when they drafted Schobert in the fourth round out of the University of Wisconsin in 2016.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio that aired Friday, Schobert said he has yet to have a conversation with new Browns coach Kevin Stefanski, but he has talked to Berry. Furthermore, Schobert revealed he has a reason to believe his contract situation will soon be discussed between his agent, Joe Panos, and Berry.

″[Berry] said he’d be reaching out and talk to my agent over the course of the next couple weeks,” said Schobert, a full-time starter at middle linebacker the past three years who played in the Pro Bowl after the 2017 season. “I’m sure they’ll probably talk at the [Feb. 25-March 2 NFL Scouting] Combine or something.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/202...tract-situation

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Get back to me when Joe hits the FA market. The same result some of you were "predicting" would happen with Dorsey. Then make up all the excuses why it's suddenly so different.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Get back to me when Joe hits the FA market.

Yes! He most likely will hit the market. That's the entire problem with all of this, the changing of FO each January and it's been my position from the very beginning of all of this back-n-forth and the reason why I think we should have addressed this last offseason. I can go back and pull the many posts, if you'd like.

But you are making the argument because he is hitting the market that unequivocally means a contract was not/will not be offered by Berry. No one knows what the conversations have been like between Berry and his camp. Again, I'll reference the Schwartz situation as an example.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If only Dorsey would have would have had a crystal ball to tell him he would be fired at seasons end......

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
If Haslam and Depodesta wanted Joe signed, they would insisted that he would be signed...end of story.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
If only Dorsey would have would have had a crystal ball to tell him he would be fired at seasons end......

I enjoy knowing other people get to view you moving the goal posts and shifting your argument...all for our entertainment.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

LMAO at some of the stuff that is written on here.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just because there's far more than one hole in your theory and I'm pointing them out doesn't mean I moved anything.

Quote:
That's the entire problem with all of this, the changing of FO each January and it's been my position from the very beginning of all of this back-n-forth and the reason why I think we should have addressed this last offseason.

Like I said, too bad Dorsey didn't have a crystal ball to know he would be fired at seasons end. When you try and make a silly point, I'll respond. It wasn't me moving the goal posts.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
John Dorsey doesn't even talk to Joe's camp about any offer at any point in the season or last offseaon but if he was here now he would have all of a sudden started contract offer talks in January 2020? Just two months before FA? rofl

Speaking of silly points....

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess every GM who are just now talking to players about a new contract suck, huh?

And all Joe said was that Dorsey, "hadn't made an offer".

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I guess every GM who are just now talking to players about a new contract suck, huh?

If you are referring to Berry here, no. Not if they just started working for the Browns and can now officially talk to pending FAs. But in general, if a GM has been with a team and is looking to extend a player just before FA and is only now laying the groundwork to do it (now being the beginning of NFL calendar)....then absolutely. That's a ridiculous way to go about business and negotiations.

Quote:
And all Joe said was that Dorsey, "hadn't made an offer".

Correct. When he had all last offseason and during the season to make one and start the negotiating process. But alas, nothing. He did it with Tretter, why not Joe?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
If you are referring to Berry here, no. Not if they just started working for the Browns and can now officially talk to pending FAs. But in general, if a GM has been with a team and is looking to extend a player just before FA and is only now laying the groundwork to do it (now being the beginning of NFL calendar)....then absolutely. That's a ridiculous way to go about business and negotiations.

I wasn't talking about Berry at all. I'm talking about all the NFL GM's that are currently trying to keep players on their roster.

Quote:
Correct. When he had all last offseason and during the season to make one and start the negotiating process. But alas, nothing. He did it with Tretter, why not Joe?

Did you ever stop to think that the demands of Joe's agent were so out of line with what the FO considered his value, that there really wasn't a reasonable starting point to begin negotiations?

Did you ever stop to think that may be the same reason this FO hints at Joe hitting the FA market?

You see, I'm trying to give both GM's equal credit. That would be that Joe's agent is simply asking for far more than the Browns are willing to spend. It makes sense that both of them seem to be coming to the exact same outcome. Joe hitting the FA market.

You're the one trying to choose one of the GM's to blame for the exact same outcome.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
You're the one trying to choose one of the GM's to blame for the exact same outcome.

On a macro level, I'm blaming the constant turnover in FOs for the lack of player retention for pending FAs this time of year.

On a micro level regarding Joe, I am blaming Dorsey for not getting something done last year with Joe and not being in the position where it is wiser to test FA.

Joe is on record stating the situation between Dorsey and his camp. Nothing was happening. It's pretty obvious where that situation stood.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And if nothing happens now with the new GM you're going to decide that it's all Dorsey's fault rather than consider it could well be that both men simply felt his agent was asking for too much money?

See, in all of this that's the only place we have a disconnect. Sometimes people ask a price that is so far apart from what you value it at, that there's just no reasonable staring point for negotiations.

You seem to wish to find someone to blame here. I don't think that's necessarily true unless you consider it to be Joe's agent.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
And if nothing happens now with the new GM you're going to decide that it's all Dorsey's fault rather than consider it could well be that both men simply felt his agent was asking for too much money?

Like I've stated countless times in the past that I blame Banner for not getting Mack done and I blame Farmer for not getting Schwartz done, each in the prior season before hitting FA. In both instances, with a new GM after they were fired, the predecessor was in the same situation that Berry is now. And if we find out that Joe went out to the market, liked our offer best but we pulled it, then I will blame Andrew Berry like I blamed Sashi for not keeping Schwartz. It's about being consistent. I suggest you do the same.

Quote:
See, in all of this that's the only place we have a disconnect. Sometimes people ask a price that is so far apart from what you value it at, that there's just no reasonable staring point for negotiations.

We have no idea how far apart anything was/is with Dorsey and Berry. All we no is not even one offer was made to Schobert in an effort to keep him. Not one.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You seem to wish to find someone to blame here. I don't think that's necessarily true unless you consider it to be Joe's agent.

It's easy to blame King John. According to Dorsey, Schobert wasn't a "real football player." angel

Do you have any evidence of his agent asking for too much?

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Berry hasn't signed him. If the Browns didn't think he was asking for too much, a deal would be in place.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Berry hasn't signed him. If the Browns didn't think he was asking for too much, a deal would be in place.

Or Schobert just wants to see if someone is willing to throw crazy money at him now that he's made it to free agency.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well of course he does. He suddenly think that he's worth more money than he was a week ago, or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago......

I'll ask you the same thing you asked me....

Quote:
Do you have any evidence

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Or Schobert just wants to see if someone is willing to throw crazy money at him now that he's made it to free agency.
Its possible, but a bird in then hand is worth two in the bush.

IMO we either valued him at X and he thinks that's to low, or we didn't value him at all and said go get a deal and well see if we want to match it. **I don't think the latter is what happened though - you really don't want someone else doing your bidding. thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

IMO we either valued him at X and he thinks that's to low, or we didn't value him at all and said go get a deal and well see if we want to match it. **I don't think the latter is what happened though - you really don't want someone else doing your bidding. thumbsup

Joe doesn't have to hope for the two in the bush. The bushes will be coming to him now.

During the season, I agree with the idea. Now, it's not like the bird in his hand is at risk of flying far. He's healthy and free. He's going to get paid somewhere.

Fiercely Independent.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Joe doesn't have to hope for the two in the bush. The bushes will be coming to him now.

During the season, I agree with the idea. Now, it's not like the bird in his hand is at risk of flying far. He's healthy and free. He's going to get paid somewhere.
I don't doubt it will get paid - its the dollar amount that he will get that's the ?, and then its the dollar amount vs production that matters.

For me, 10-12 million a year for 3-4 would have been about fair give other players salaries as MLB with about the same production.

If we offered less, we low balled him IMO. If he wants more than that - I don't see him getting it.

Legend
Legend

So that's why he quit....his crystal ball told him he was going to be fired!! I hope it wasn't the same crystal ball that told him Freddy would be a good HC. It might have cost KJ his job. smile

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
This is what Joe Schobert had to say about Dorsey and his agent, "I let my agent handle all this kind of stuff, but my understanding is we haven’t gotten any offers so can’t really build on it from there."

Berry, who has had the job for five minutes, is meeting with Schobert's agent.

Dorsey had all of last off-season and the season to sign Schobert to an extension and didn't do it.

If a player reaches this point of the off-season they should probably just wait to hit the free agent market. So comparing Dorsey and Berry with regards to Schobert seems unfair.

I have no idea what you mean here. Are you trying to say that Dorsey had no idea what Joe and his agent were asking for? Because that's not what it says. It says Dorsey didn't make any offer.

That's exactly the same thing Berry is doing. Berry knows the price tag and rather than make offers to his agent, he's letting him hit the open market.

That's not "meeting with his agent".

I have been out of the loop all day, so maybe something has changed. I read the comment Berry said about earning the right. Berry also said he was getting with his agent this week.

I don't it any secret that Dorsey wasn't high on Schobert. Last year would have been the time to extend. Berry has said the same that with some players you don't want it to get to that point.

I am not blaming Dorsey at all. In ways I agree with him. Schobert isn't all that good. If we keep him, great. If not, I will still sleep as well as I normally do....not all that well, but it won't cause a extra loss of sleep.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
If Haslam and Depodesta wanted Joe signed, they would insisted that he would be signed...end of story.

They aren't the football guys. You may have a point with Haslam, he owns the team...Depo doesn't have that say.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Reading is hard.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I will say that Berry seems like a very nice man who comes from a great family. He came across as very likeable in his interviews. He is obviously very intelligent and a hard-worker.

I was not impressed by the job that the FO did when he was here w/Sashi and Depo. In fact, it was an embarrassment. However, I'll root for the guy because I think he is a good role model for other minorities and can inspire some folks to set high goals while maintaining a sound character. He comes across as so genuine. Good luck, young man!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Reading is hard.

For some people, yes.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I'm fine going into the season with Kirko & Mack as starters. They would be solid together. Have Taki as backup, and then draft another LB in this years draft. We've been fortunate in getting good LBs mid/late rounds. Sure we could do it again.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM Andrew Berry will listen to trade offers for Odell Beckham Jr. and others

Link Copied to Clipboard