Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1736664 03/01/20 09:44 AM
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
I would be very excited to see 1 of these 2 Tackles fall to the 10th pick. I think I would lean Becton since he is a natural Left Tackle. That seems to be much harder to find.

https://www.sbnation.com/2020/2/28/21158...lineman-records

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
No thanks, Simmons or McKinney

E
Legend
Legend
E
Simmons has problems getting off blocks especially of the caliber in the NFL....but then again in the NFL SPEED KILLS! OT is a big need for us. Simmons cannot play Mike but would be an amazing WILL...jmho Still OT if one of those two are there!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think both will be there. I think at least 1 of them will be there at 16.

I'd take Simmons or Derrick Brown in a heartbeat over any OT in the draft.

If we are going to draft for need, so be it. Trade back 4-5-6 slots. That would be far enough back we could probably add a 3rd rounder this year or a 2nd next year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Browns2020
No thanks, Simmons or McKinney

Then you better start looking for a new QB too.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I like Wirfs or Thomas if we could

Recent rumors are us liking Cleveland ... though, of course it’s silly season

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Small hands, shorter than ideal arm length...no thanks.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Small hands, shorter than ideal arm length...no thanks.
in other words, that’s who we’ll draft smile

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
2nd String
2nd String
Wills from Alabama has all the tangibles and is a monster. He played RT at Bama which is Tagovailoa’s blind side

Last edited by OrangeHelmet; 03/01/20 03:29 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
To me he is a top 10 pick. All the others are a reach at 10 IMO.

I rather stick to the board and grab a tackle or guard in round 2.

It's not like we don't have 4-5 positions of need

On O we need a tackle and guard. Even say 2 tackles and a guard.

On D we need 2lbs, a Dt, a DE, and a safety. The D needs more of a upgrade over the O. Heck, maybe 2 DT's. Larry has gone down hill since a promising rookie season. He is light in the hips. He is fairly easy to push around in the run game.

There is a reason why teams run up the middle on us and get 5 yard gash plays and we are in 2nd and 4-5 a lot. It's hard to force a 3 and out in that position.

We need to go heavy on a OT and guard in FA, then go heavy on D in the draft.

JMO, rookie defenders have a easier transition to the NFL. Just read, react, and get to the football.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Free Agency will come first, then we will see what is needed in the draft.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

True, but I don't even like to talk about the draft and needs.

Unless it makes no sense at all, take the best players on the board if you don't have to reach more than 2-3 picks.

OK....maybe in round 6-7 if you need a kicker of some sort or a long snapper you might draft for specialty need.

Early in the draft, just stick to the board you spent months working on. If you don't, don't even make a board. Just select positions. First round I am taking a OT. Second round a safety, etc.

IMO, a dumb way to draft.

Just take the best players. That is how you get better.

You can't go wrong drafting solid players.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

True, but I don't even like to talk about the draft and needs.

Unless it makes no sense at all, take the best players on the board if you don't have to reach more than 2-3 picks.

OK....maybe in round 6-7 if you need a kicker of some sort or a long snapper you might draft for specialty need.

Early in the draft, just stick to the board you spent months working on. If you don't, don't even make a board. Just select positions. First round I am taking a OT. Second round a safety, etc.

IMO, a dumb way to draft.

Just take the best players. That is how you get better.

You can't go wrong drafting solid players.

Fortunately, all of our needs right now correlate to solid players available in this draft.

My perfect day would be to sign a quality vet for the LT position, then go Wirfs with the first. Voila’ a much upgraded line. High second can go to safety, or LB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, teams get into big time trouble when the forgo the BPA and draft based on need. It's not a one-year fix. It's a long term commitment.

Think about this.........Brett Farve is one of the league's best qbs. Aaron Rodgers was probably very high on GB's Vertical board. Let's say they needed an ILBer. Do they pass on Rodgers for the LBer or take the BPA? Think long-term. Not short-term!

Another hypothetical. Joe Thomas was a great OT. Let's say that an OT who the Browns ranked as their BPA when they drafted in in Joe's last year was available and they passed on him for a guy who was ranked 3 spots lower on their board because they had a "need" at that position. Think about it........how would that have worked out?

Once again, when drafting...............think long term by picking BPA over Need if you have to move more than 1 and sometimes 2 spots off of your Vertical board.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

On D we need 2lbs, a Dt, a DE, and a safety. The D needs more of a upgrade over the O. Heck, maybe 2 DT's. Larry has gone down hill since a promising rookie season. He is light in the hips. He is fairly easy to push around in the run game.

There is a reason why teams run up the middle on us and get 5 yard gash plays and we are in 2nd and 4-5 a lot. It's hard to force a 3 and out in that position.

JMO, rookie defenders have a easier transition to the NFL. Just read, react, and get to the football.

If you're missing a position on D, the rest of the squad should at least still survive.

If you're missing OL, you risk breaking your biggest investment.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

If you're missing a position on D, the rest of the squad should at least still survive.

Well, we had more QB's injured when we had all the superstars in the OL...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
at #10..if elite/top talent remains on the board, auction the pick off to the highest bidder...

Back to moneyball...

Last edited by mac; 03/02/20 11:25 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Only if we can acquire 5 7th round picks in 2025 brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

Well, we had more QB's injured when we had all the superstars in the OL...

Because we didn't have 5 superstars. We always had at least one dud.

On the OL it's more important not to have duds than it is to have superstars. Right now we've got 2 duds on the ends.

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mac
at #10..if elite/top talent remains on the board, auction the pick off to the highest bidder...

Back to moneyball...

I'm telling you folks...don't be surprised if the Browns return to Moneyball...trading down, bypassing top talent to take a chance on a player later in round 1.

Don't forget who is running this show...depo!

Last edited by mac; 03/02/20 03:38 PM.

Legend
Legend

Back to moneyball...

I'm telling you folks...don't be surprised if the Browns return to Moneyball...trading down, bypassing top talent to take a chance on a player later in round 1.

You quoted your own post and repeated the same sentence you've been parroting for months. However, we won't take you seriously until you like your own posts.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
fate...well try addressing the subject...you ok with Depodesta trading down from #10 slot to accumulate more picks, like he did in his first year of MONEYBALL?

It is a legitimate possibility that MONEYBALL RETURNS..we know who is calling the shots...who is in charge of "STRATEGY", right?

D
Legend
Legend
D
This thread is supposed to be about Tristan Wirfs and Mekhi Becton. Your Depodesta thread is in Pure Football.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He can't help himself - he is a Depo Stalker.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Back to moneyball...

mac, I think it was dumb to fire Dorsey and return to the same guys who drafted so poorly, but your obsession w/the Depo in charge thing is whacked.

You should probably stop it and come back w/another plan of attack. Just some friendly advice.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
vers...do you believe the Browns are done with the tactic of trading down, bypassing more talented players at #10 just to gain more picks?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I truly don't know the answer to that question, mac. However, I was talking about your obsession w/depo being in charge. I think he has more influence than some are saying, but I don't think he is in charge. You should probably stop w/that mantra.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
do you believe the Browns are done with the tactic of trading down, bypassing more talented players at #10 just to gain more picks?

I think it depends on the players available at the pick.

We took Myles at 1.

If we have a pod of players grouped close together, we may trade back as far as we can while still guaranteeing a player in that pod.

If a player is alone in his group when it's our time to pick, we'll probably take him.

It comes down to the grades. If you can pay a comparable player less money, it makes sense to trade back. Plus, you pick up another player.

You've got to get the grades right, though.

Alternatively, there are times when a team gets more value from getting more "talented players" than it does from a "more talented" player.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
OK back to the subject...Wirfs and Becton...

I think there are a lot of OT's to like in this draft. Wirfs is definitely a favorite of mine. My second OT is stacked with a few players. Becton, Jones, Thomas....

Wirfs has the drive, and ability you lust for. In many players you get one or the other...I think he is going to be a great OLineman in this league.

Becton has the size that is off the charts and a guy his size should not be able to move the way he does. I can't get a bead on his drive...however, the biggest knock against him from what I have read is that he wasn't tested because of all the play action Louisville played. Ummmm, hello....play action...Lets see we have an OT that excelled in an outside zone play action offense...what is our offense going to be again??? Oh yeah outside zone Play action...

As far as Simmons...I am not sure how you pass on him if he is there...But does anyone really see him being there? Yes there have been some scenarios generated with that possibility...BUT do you really see it playing out??? Personally there are a few LB's I think are available after that might work out very well for us...including (in no specific order) Zack Baun from Wisconsin (how about that replace a Whiskey LB with a Whiskey LB), Malik Harrison from OSU, Kenneth Murray from Oklahoma, Anfernee Jennings from Alabama....Again IF Simmons is there...how do you pass on it? BUT just don't see that happening.

"IF" we did take Simmons...I would be a little antsy staying pat in the second round waiting on an OT...I probably would want to try to trade back into the first...whereas if we take an OT in the first...I would not be so jumpy in the second....

Just a name to throw out there that we haven't been talking about...Drew Forbes. I really like the kid...And I would love to see if he can take the RG or RT spot. I like his demeanor and I think he has the athleticism for our needs. I hope he is given the chance as the current FO did not invest in him...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
O
Legend
Legend
O
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but getting at least 1 starter-caliber OT in FA will be HUGE for our draft. It will take a lot of pressure off the roster assemblers and will help them approach the draft the right way.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I agree and I remain eager for both of those. We need to be sensibly aggressive. It might help to consider players we might part with and let them really help us in FA. I do not want to see us just cut and chuck players and get no return.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
That would certainly be the ideal scenario.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but getting at least 1 starter-caliber OT in FA will be HUGE for our draft. It will take a lot of pressure off the roster assemblers and will help them approach the draft the right way.

Well its not as if there is not value at OT this year.

Its an unusual arrangement, having both value and need with the tenth selection.
And we need two OTs'

Some folks are just not realistic in their hopeful projections.

There certainly is a whole lot of wishful thinking with Isaiah Simmons falling to us @10.

JMO.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Joe Thomas was on Cleveland Browns Daily today and discussed the OT prospects.

He sees Wirfs as a guy who will likely start out as a guard in the NFL before transitioning to tackle. Cites lack of hip mobility (he explains in detail based on combine numbers on the audio link).

Likes Becton the best, Andrew Thomas next, Wills Jr. third, Wirfs 4th. Says Wirfs might go first of the OL in any other typical draft class.

Here's the audio, begins at the 1hr and 1 minute mark.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/audio/cleveland-browns-daily-3-4-2020

Legend
Legend
I think Thomas is the best OT in this draft. If we go o-line at 10, that's who I want, and then either Becton or Wills.

Legend
Legend
Great info, thanks. Interesting stuff from JT

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good info. Thanks.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

He sees Wirfs as a guy who will likely start out as a guard in the NFL before transitioning to tackle. Cites lack of hip mobility (he explains in detail based on combine numbers on the audio link).

Likes Becton the best, Andrew Thomas next, Wills Jr. third, Wirfs 4th. Says Wirfs might go first of the OL in any other typical draft class.

Wirfs it is.

Especially if Depo's and Berry's spreadsheet model says so.

What a frickin nightmare this is going to be.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Are we sure we should trust anything Joe Thomas says?

R
Legend
Legend
R
On coaches? No.

OL play? I would hope so.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Triston Wirfs/Mekhi Becton

Link Copied to Clipboard