Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So three years at failing to build a team, two years of tear down and two more years of trying to rebuild after that tear down was a better idea than seven years of building a team. Alrighty then...

No one has ever claimed that. Making up a bogus claim so you can argue with yourself is one way for you to win an argument.

We can't go back and do it again. We have to work with where we're at now. Hopefully these aren't lousy hires this time around, and we can keep building finally.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
Sometimes you have to tear down something so you can rebuild in its place.

I broke down the timeline of how your hypothesis actually played out. And now you are acting all butt hurt about it. #notmyproblem

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: dagesh
If we traded Beckham, we might be able to get Becton and Simmons in the draft
That's smart...lets trade a perennial Pro Bowl and HOF talent for two guys that are ? marks.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The big question is who would be trading for Beckham?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
The big question is who would be trading for Beckham?

I think the bigger question would be what is the value for a guy making $15M per year with lingering injury issues for the past three coming off a bad year?

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Jimmy is so easily influenced...unsure of himself looking for the magic bullet that is his short cut to success...

Today, Jimmy believes that analytics is his short cut to success in the NFL. It is ironic, because Haslam was a minority owner of the Steelers for several years before buying the Browns and Jimmy stated that he wanted to build the Browns like the Rooneys built the Steelers.

But Haslam's first mistake was listening to Joe Banner, who pushed his idea of non traditional methods of management.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mac
Jimmy is so easily influenced...unsure of himself looking for the magic bullet that is his short cut to success...

Today, Jimmy believes that analytics is his short cut to success in the NFL. It is ironic, because Haslam was a minority owner of the Steelers for several years before buying the Browns and Jimmy stated that he wanted to build the Browns like the Rooneys built the Steelers.

But Haslam's first mistake was listening to Joe Banner, who pushed his idea of non traditional methods of management.
Yes, tearing down your team, trading everything in sight, and restarting your roster going 1-31 is the "shortcut" he was hoping for. . . . .

Legend
Legend
Look at the Rooneys records from 1933 to 1971 rofl

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

GM..that is rather lame, even for you rofl

It might apply if Haslam had been a minority owner from 33 to 71. willynilly...just say'n..

Serious question..you into the spirits again? grin

Legend
Legend

Haslem has the worst record of any owner in any of the major sports. (winning %)

He might just be worse than the Steelers winning % from that timeframe, given the same amount of time. Further, today's NFL, with a salary cap, free ahengy,. and the draft weighted towards the worst teams, assists greatly in quick turnarounds. No team owner, no matter how poorly their team performs, is struggling to meet the bills.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
You only think it's lame because I proved you wrong. What was the Rooneys record over their first ten, 20, 30, or 40 years in the nfl. THEY sucked, yet you want to act like they were great. You want to compare their record to the Browns and when I ask you to do so you run away, and ask me if I am drinking. tsktsk tsktsk tsktsk when your posts sound like something a crack addict would post frown

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
GM...your response...LAME...DAMN LAME.

Do you think Haslam was referring to the Steeler teams from 1933 to 1971?

OR...do you believe Haslam was referring to the years while he was a minority owner of the Steelers?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
It is ironic, because Haslam was a minority owner of the Steelers for several years before buying the Browns and Jimmy stated that he wanted to build the Browns like the Rooneys built the Steelers.

The Steelers had a losing record for many, many, many years, and you said "He wanted to build the Browns like the Rooneys built the Steelers" So get use to the Browns losing for another 17 years.

Your words not mine bro.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

After reading the posts since I last looked......I have to say my head hurts.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
It is ironic, because Haslam was a minority owner of the Steelers for several years before buying the Browns and Jimmy stated that he wanted to build the Browns like the Rooneys built the Steelers.

The Steelers had a losing record for many, many, many years, and you said "He wanted to build the Browns like the Rooneys built the Steelers" So get use to the Browns losing for another 17 years.

Your words not mine bro.

GM...I didn't say it, Haslam said it. Jimbo was minority owner of the Steelers in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, then he bought the Browns in 2012 and was forced to sell his share of the Steelers by the NFL.

The Steelers were 12-4, winning the Super Bowl in 2008.
...in 2009, the Steelers were 9-7.
...in 2010, the Steelers were 12-4, losing the Super Bowl
...in 2011, the Steelers were again 12-4, losing the WC game.

This is how Haslam responded to his time in Pittsburgh...

"It was great training being there," Haslam said. "They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them."

So GM, was Haslam referring to his time in Pittsburgh?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
BTW, concerning OBJ...he most likely about to get MONEYBALLED by Depo.

Legend
Legend
You posted

Quote:

You CLAIMED to know "Jimmy Believes" Like you were inside his head, or heard the words directly. Then you insinuated, truth is you have been making up crap for a few weeks based on your hatred/disgust/ or what ever other bias you have against Depo/Haslam.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
GM...if you were a horse, they would have put you down for being so darn lame with your responses. wink

B
Legend
Legend
B
That's where people seem to have a problem. Creating a winning product takes a lot more than marketing other people's products. As Haslam said in his opening press conference, "It's a marketing world".

Only in the NFL, you have to build a quality product to market.

Apples and oranges.

I agree with you that doesn't make him stupid. It just makes him good at marketing and terrible at building a football team.

You have said that many times, and I disagree. Building a company, or a medical practice is building just the same as building a rocking chair company. Just as Pilot buys gasoline from refiners near the Gulf, rocking chair person buys wood. They don't grow their own tree's. They probably buy it in milled blocks or even smaller slabs.

As far as marketing, for sure that is the game. You can build the best rocking chair known to man, you can have the finest travel centers on the road, you can be the best MD in the world, but if people don't know, you aren't going to treat patients, sell gasoline, or sell rocking chairs.

Marketing is part of building the business. Actually, the most important. If you can't get people to buy, you're sunk no matter how good the product.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D

So your saying were gonna suck for 35 or so more years ... YIKES ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

So your saying were gonna suck for 35 or so more years ... YIKES ...

I don't know if that is what he is saying, I can't speak for you, but I hope not. The chances of me living 35 more years are just short of nothing. No they are nothing. 25 would be a pretty good stretch number, but still possible.

10-15 is probably semi realistic. But then you never know, I might not be posting at 5:30 tomorrow morning for a good reason. I died.

I hope not, but who hopes for that, even if it is a transformation to our next being, be it Heaven, Hell, or whatever else.

It's not simply nothing. There is something else in this process for us to learn.

Hey, maybe I learn we won 5 Super Bowls in a row, lost 1, then won 3 more.

Screw that, I want to see 3-4 of the first 5.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
GM...if you were a horse, they would have put you down for being so darn lame with your responses. wink

If you were a horse, you'd still be beating your own corpse.

Fiercely Independent.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Browns2020
if Haslam cared about winning, he would have hired Saleh not Stefanski.

If Haslam cared about winning, he would have rolled with Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith.

Out of curiosity what do you have to support this conclusion?

I am basing it off of the track record of those guys versus the track record of the guys hired and Haslam's general track record, decision making, and lack of success to date.

Quote:
All 3 of them were here together. By any account Dorsey, outside of inheriting Hue had run of the table and got what he wanted up until it came to pay the tab at the end of Freddie's failed season.

Dorsey made a mistake with Freddie. It happens. I believe he should have gotten the opportunity to fix that mistake without any involvement at all from Depo. Haslam could have handled this a number of different ways. One of those was to let Depo's contract expire, thank him for his service, and commit to Dorsey and his team. I am very confident in saying that had Haslam gone that route, Dorsey would have had no issue moving on from Freddie. But because Haslam created a Depo vs. Dorsey battle in the building, there was no way Dorsey was going to give up on Freddie and let Depo win. That had as much to do with Dorsey wanting to stick with Freddie as anything. Again, this goes back to Haslam. He is the root cause of it all.

Quote:
I would definitely be interested in any examples of DePo or even Haslam for that matter getting in his way. Given the level of autonomy Dorsey already had and the results, I'm just having a hard time understanding how continuing to keep him in charge, in a structure where he would be left unchecked would be a better situation.

This is over dramatics. Culture that leaves him unchecked? How about let Dorsey do the job he was hired to do. You remove Depo and eliminate the factions in the building and there is nothing to worry about. Let Dorsey and team go about their business. The "leaving him unchecked" comment no doubt is rooted in this belief that Dorsey misbehaved and treated people poorly. Perhaps there were instances where he did. Should he have been more mature? I think all humans and professionals should be mature and treat it each other with respect. But if you believe in root cause analysis, this goes back to Haslam. He needs to set the stage and culture to set the people he hired up for success. He employed two factions with two different philosophies. It was bound to crash and burn. And it did. And Haslam had to choose. And he did. And he chose the guy who he thinks is smart and will involve him in decisions. Never mind, none of that means they will be able to pull off building a winner. At least Dorsey and his team have a track record of doing that.

People are getting way too caught up in these "Dorsey misbehaved" and "Dorsey was unchecked, running amok" narratives. He was not set up for success long-term.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
You have said that many times, and I disagree. Building a company, or a medical practice is building just the same as building a rocking chair company. Just as Pilot buys gasoline from refiners near the Gulf, rocking chair person buys wood. They don't grow their own tree's. They probably buy it in milled blocks or even smaller slabs.

Just like drafting and signing players. But if you draft and sign inferior players, or buy inferior wood, hire the wrong people to work in your rocking chair production, the product is inferior.

Coke, Pepsi, hot dogs, gas and diesel fuel are finished products. You're not buying raw materials and making a product there.

Quote:
As far as marketing, for sure that is the game. You can build the best rocking chair known to man, you can have the finest travel centers on the road, you can be the best MD in the world, but if people don't know, you aren't going to treat patients, sell gasoline, or sell rocking chairs.

Yeah, nobody would know about the Browns and the NFL if Haslam didn't market it. Maybe when he figures out that improving "the fan experience" means winning games he'll be on to something.

Quote:
Marketing is part of building the business. Actually, the most important. If you can't get people to buy, you're sunk no matter how good the product.

You can't get people to buy a rocking chair that's falling apart no matter how well you market it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You can't get people to buy a rocking chair that's falling apart no matter how well you market it.

I think you overestimate people. Some people will buy all sorts of bogus junk.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've noticed that.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

They will also buy that the worst owner if football is good at his job.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

They will also buy that the worst owner if football is good at his job.

Has anyone ever said that Haslam is good at his job?

Much like Dorsey, he's been awful at picking coaches which is a big part of his job.

Fiercely Independent.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Fo Sho

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
LOL. Browns Homers are like no others. They will rationalize anything

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
LOL. good one

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
LOL. A sucker is born every day. I wanna know how 1 person shows up to watch this clownshow team play

M
Legend
Legend
M
LOL. A sucker is born every day. I wanna know how 1 person shows up to watch this clownshow team play

I want to know how sad and empty someone's life must be to come onto a chat forum for a team and ownership that they obviously have so much disdain for.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Last edited by mgh888; 03/04/20 09:53 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
if Haslam cared about winning, he would have hired Saleh not Stefanski.

If Haslam cared about winning, he would have rolled with Dorsey, Wolf, and Highsmith.

Out of curiosity what do you have to support this conclusion?

I am basing it off of the track record of those guys versus the track record of the guys hired and Haslam's general track record, decision making, and lack of success to date.

Quote:
All 3 of them were here together. By any account Dorsey, outside of inheriting Hue had run of the table and got what he wanted up until it came to pay the tab at the end of Freddie's failed season.

Dorsey made a mistake with Freddie. It happens. I believe he should have gotten the opportunity to fix that mistake without any involvement at all from Depo. Haslam could have handled this a number of different ways. One of those was to let Depo's contract expire, thank him for his service, and commit to Dorsey and his team. I am very confident in saying that had Haslam gone that route, Dorsey would have had no issue moving on from Freddie. But because Haslam created a Depo vs. Dorsey battle in the building, there was no way Dorsey was going to give up on Freddie and let Depo win. That had as much to do with Dorsey wanting to stick with Freddie as anything. Again, this goes back to Haslam. He is the root cause of it all.

Quote:
I would definitely be interested in any examples of DePo or even Haslam for that matter getting in his way. Given the level of autonomy Dorsey already had and the results, I'm just having a hard time understanding how continuing to keep him in charge, in a structure where he would be left unchecked would be a better situation.

This is over dramatics. Culture that leaves him unchecked? How about let Dorsey do the job he was hired to do. You remove Depo and eliminate the factions in the building and there is nothing to worry about. Let Dorsey and team go about their business. The "leaving him unchecked" comment no doubt is rooted in this belief that Dorsey misbehaved and treated people poorly. Perhaps there were instances where he did. Should he have been more mature? I think all humans and professionals should be mature and treat it each other with respect. But if you believe in root cause analysis, this goes back to Haslam. He needs to set the stage and culture to set the people he hired up for success. He employed two factions with two different philosophies. It was bound to crash and burn. And it did. And Haslam had to choose. And he did. And he chose the guy who he thinks is smart and will involve him in decisions. Never mind, none of that means they will be able to pull off building a winner. At least Dorsey and his team have a track record of doing that.

People are getting way too caught up in these "Dorsey misbehaved" and "Dorsey was unchecked, running amok" narratives. He was not set up for success long-term.

I'll ask it again since it keeps getting ignored:

What are the examples of DePo keeping Dorsey from making the choices he wanted to? Give me an example of a DePo decision that made Dorsey look bad.

Because unless anyone can, Dorsey WAS allowed to do his job! He was measured, he was weighed, and he was found wanting.

I find your response interesting (and thank you for it). In the last 2 paragraphs you don't paint him as someone who should be in a position of authority.

In one you theorized that had Haslam cut away DePo, that Dorsey then would likely have been willing to move on from Freddie. Does that sound like good judgement to you let alone someone acting in a professional manner? Double down on a mistake for no other reason than to spite the guy (DePo) whom no one has shown how he actually got in his way? It's Freddie Kitchens, not Bill Belichik.

In the other you want to blame Jimmy for Dorsey not conducting himself in a professional manner. We've all worked for a boss who was terrible or a meddler or what have you. Their conduct is never an excuse for those below them to act in an unprofessional manner.

You may describe my post as overly dramatic, but if you took Dorsey's name out of your post you've just described a guy who is immature, unprofessional, and willing to double down on a mistake out of spite even if it came at the expense of the team. That is NOT someone you want in charge of any operation.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I want to know how sad and empty someone's life must be to come onto a chat forum for a team and ownership that they obviously have so much disdain for.

QFT. I wonder about that a lot around here. notallthere

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: mgh888

QFT. I wonder about that a lot around here. notallthere

I don't. They aren't bandwagon fans so they should get credit for that.

As for some of the posts... eh... every family has their Cousin Eddie, right?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
B
Legend
Legend
B

I'll tell you how. I get in my car, drive 586 mile to the hotel, then go to the game, then drive back to Tennessee. That is how I show up to use my season tickets.

You sure seem to spend a lot of time around here for a person who doesn't like the Browns.

Get lost kid. You are the clown show.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM Andrew Berry will listen to trade offers for Odell Beckham Jr. and others

Link Copied to Clipboard