Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend

Really a great breakdown on technique.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
One thing that I think Jake mentioned, and I noticed as well - and you can see from his angle here, is that he tends to get wide with that kick and not deep. One some of the snaps in Jake's tweet, you can see where this leaves a HUGE hole inside, especially when he sets up wide. This is just like candy for a baby for quick DLine that want to twist.... so, hopefully this is something he can get cleaned up with his switch to the left.

This to me sounds like a simple matter of learning angles... I hope Wills is good with trigonometry!

Yup. That and spatial awareness... that whole thing where you think your body is in one position/place only to find that your gauging of things was off. Like, he might *think* he's dropping back more than he is, or he might think he is setting up in closer than he is. And, who knows, if it is a visual perception thing, it might not even be an issue from the left side.

Taking reps will tell the tale.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
In a weird way, also seeing how all of the tackle prospects had weaknesses in their game put my mind at ease. Even Thomas, considered the most ready NFL LT has things in his game he's gotta address sooner rather than later.

I understand the concern regarding the RT vs LT thing with Wills, but I think it's important to determine if he's an outlier to that argument or not. In my (very much uneducated) opinion, it appears he is.

That said, and as I've mentioned before, I wouldn't mind at all if we STILL brought in some sort of vet. It would be both as a safety net, and to provide a somewhat respectable level of competition to earning the position. As a general rule, I have a hard time just outright giving a starting spot to a draft pick.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

That said, and as I've mentioned before, I wouldn't mind at all if we STILL brought in some sort of vet. It would be both as a safety net, and to provide a somewhat respectable level of competition to earning the position. As a general rule, I have a hard time just outright giving a starting spot to a draft pick.

I keep thinking about this, and I keep coming back to us waiting to see what we have. Then, there is the evaluation of will whomever we can sign be better than him and his learning curve? I think we might keep Peters on speed dial, but I wouldn't look for that call to be made until we're nearly to August and Training Camp. I think they'll take the summer and mini-camps to get a good look at him and see how he's doing. It'll be in shorts, but that'll be good enough to have an idea.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Maybe, in this particular case, moving from RT to LT is a boon. He has always played RT, so he has no bad habits to unlearn. He's learning LT already knowing good technique, being able to learn it right to start. He's under the tutelage of one of the best OL coaches in the business. And, for good measure, some guidance from Joe.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Here is a video I watched last night. The guy is sorta the Giant's version of our Jake Burns. This is his study of Jedrick from the Giant's perspective.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
6'4" is a bit of a concern.

It is, but his arms are long enough, so he has a chance to engage about 3 feet out and he is a solid, technical blocker.

At 6'4", he reminds me of Ross Verba, but Wills is thicker and heavier.

I think the guy is a LT who played RT at Bama because they had a left handed QB. I don't think he is going to have much issue switching sides of the line.

At worst, if he doesn't pan at LT, he can roadgrade at RT. If not, he will be a very good guard.

We got a good player here.

LT is a fairly safe pick because if they can't really play the position you hoped for, you still have a quality Olineman.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Wills played right tackle because he played right tackle in high school.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

Here is a video I watched last night. The guy is sorta the Giant's version of our Jake Burns. This is his study of Jedrick from the Giant's perspective.

Interesting ...

Much less evidence of the big initial kick on these cuts.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I’m seeing a lot of people saying he’s athletic enough to make the switch to LT (Plus Tua is left handed so he did protect his blinds side).

Had we drafted Wirfs there’d be the same concern I suppose

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I can't resist but...the only thing im looking forward to is Case Keenham leading us to the playoffs after week 5.

He signed a 3 year 18 million dollar deal...thats a lot of money for a backup. Considering Stephanski was his QB coach in 2017 in Minn, I think its a clear message to Mayfield thats its put up or shutup time.

Berry and Stephanski didn't draft Mayfield, if he is crapping the bed this year like he was last year there are no more excuses, and we got someone behind him just waiting to play that has actually BEEN to the playoffs and LED a team to the playoffs.

My gut says Mayfield is a fraud, Here to toasting to me being wrong and Mayfiewld throwing 35+ TD this year!

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 04/24/20 04:41 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think that post should be in this particular thread.

2nd String
2nd String
Wills or Thomas were the best choices available in the top 10, IMO

D
Legend
Legend
D

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Had we drafted Wirfs there’d be the same concern I suppose

For me the concern would be much greater. Most seemed to have him projected as a RT or G before the combine. Only the combine seemed to change a lot of their minds. With Wills most felt he would make the transition to LT before the combine.

I trust evaluations based on game film much more than the dog and pony show known as the combine.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Had we drafted Wirfs I would have been really concerned not because he isn't talented but because his talent seems to be more suited to Gaurd ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
929 pass block snaps. 1 qb sack allowed.

Nuff said.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
929 pass block snaps. 1 qb sack allowed.

Nuff said.

Just drop the microphone and walk away!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend

Former Cleveland Brown Joe Thomas joined Beau Bishop and Nathan Zegura on Cleveland Browns Daily. Joe shares his excitement about the Browns selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. 10th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft and what made Wills his favorite offensive tackle in the draft.

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Former Cleveland Brown Joe Thomas joined Beau Bishop and Nathan Zegura on Cleveland Browns Daily. Joe shares his excitement about the Browns selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. 10th overall in the 2020 NFL Draft and what made Wills his favorite offensive tackle in the draft.
The more I hear Joe talk about LT, the more I see him as a kinda Zen Master of this very specialized craft.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M

Halfway through the clip - great stuff.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Thomas is awesome.

He and Zegura bothe talk Safety. Z mentioned Delpit.

They need to talk again now that we secured the PIT!!!

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Watching this man run block is a true pleasure.

Joe Thomas played like a man operating like a brain surgeon, with every single moved planed a meticulous.

Jedrick Wills run blocks like a street fighter. He's out here throwing guys around, and his hands are incredibly heavy with so much power.

The Browns could run the ball 40 times a game behind Wills and Bitonio and probably get 200 yards easily. Nick Chubb might go for 2k.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Good call by coach...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed. I'm sure they will let him have #73 later if he plays well.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I'm calling it: #71.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Nice call by coach with #73 ... Wills feels like a 72 to me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Can't; Joe is going to Canton in just a couple of years and then #73 is going to get retired. Wills just needs to write his own story with his own number smile

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L
Exactly.
No Brown should ever wear #73 again.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well he will get #74 whenever Hubbard is cut.

[Linked Image]

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

He’s not getting cut.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

He’s not getting cut.

Is that what your chrystal ball said? ... or was it your crazy 8 ball?

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it hinges on the fact that the Browns and Hubbard have already re-worked his contract. I can't see any reason why they would re-work a players contract they plan to cut. It was lowered to a manageable deal for a swing tackle, back up type contract. Still a little high but certainly doable.

Cleveland Browns, Chris Hubbard Restructure Contract, Providing Path For Him To Stay For 2020

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleve...o-stay-for-2020

That certainly doesn't mean his staying is set in stone but it would seem a logical conclusion we will be here for the 2020 season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
My crystal ball says Hubbard will be cut before Wills. I think Hubbard can push that date out a little bit by taking the starting RG spot... otherwise I see that date coming up pretty soon.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think it hinges on the fact that the Browns and Hubbard have already re-worked his contract. I can't see any reason why they would re-work a players contract they plan to cut. It was lowered to a manageable deal for a swing tackle, back up type contract. Still a little high but certainly doable.

Cleveland Browns, Chris Hubbard Restructure Contract, Providing Path For Him To Stay For 2020

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleve...o-stay-for-2020

That certainly doesn't mean his staying is set in stone but it would seem a logical conclusion we will be here for the 2020 season.

No, I disagree ... the logical conclusion would be to let it play out. A reworked contract isn't a guaranteed contract.

If we do keep him I hope it will be because he is a better fit for our new scheme.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Hubbard could well be gone by last cuts. In which case, Wills can take #74 before the season starts. Worst case, in 2021 it is all his.

It all depends on what we have as backup OT and whether Forbes or someone else steps up and takes RG.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B

No.....73 is Joe's number.

I don't think teams can retire numbers like the old days, but 73 is Joe, 32 is Jim, 76 is Lou, 44 is Leroy, 66 is Gene.

Some numbers you just don't allow out. As the coach,or GM, or Owner, you just pull some numbers out of the mix and tell the kid to pick another number..

You aren't wearing that one.

Good call by coach Stefanski. Tip of the hat from me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Browns select Jedrick Wills with the 10th overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard