Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had him ranked as a second round pick on my board, dude just needs to be more consistent in his play.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Exactly. Andrew Berry made a good case for all our picks. I think he and whomever else has input have done a good job thus far.

I think they have as well, only time will tell though.

Just wanted to add I'm strongly against using analytics in football, but I'm trying to give these guys a chance before I fall off the deep end like the OP has.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out ... it’s crazy that the team drafting after us basically took the SAME position ... so it’ll be fairly easy to see if we should havre drafted Wirfs, Winfield, or Harrison

This is my exact thought process. I really don't feel that we lost out with our picks where we drafted these guys.

In the case of Delpit vs Winflield I think we came out the winner. I was never sold on Winfields size at the next level or his health. I feel much more comfortable with Delpit.

The same goes with Wills over Becton.

My biggest question is Phillips over Harrison. I'm certainly no expert but had Harrison ranked above Phillips. But then I'm an Ohio state fan so my opinion may be jaded.

But with having the exact same positions being drafted right after our pick at all three pf those positions, it will make the comparisons very easy to make moving forward.

I just hate that two of my Buckeye players went to the Ravens. Man that REALLY sucks!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
When we're arguing about blowing a late 3rd round pick, then we've improved considerably from previous regimes.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Some would not be happy if we picked Jim Brown Ozzie Newsomw and Otto Graham superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Some would not be happy if we picked Jim Brown Ozzie Newsomw and Otto Graham superconfused

Don't know how effective they would be at their ages and states. tongue

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Well, Otto died in 2003 ..... so ...... wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Move on bro ...

Not a fan of what they did but lets give them a chance and see how it pans out ...

They have a tough job as the thief has been the worst owner in the history of sports so far ... these guys will get 4 or 5 years so we will get to watch there plan play out ... lets see how it turns out and not fry them 2 minutes into the 1st quarter of there plan ...

LETS GOOOOOOOoooooooo thumbsup

I love you Diam but this is the most unbelievable,
most hard to believe
most I won't believe it until I see it Statement! in all of being a Browns fan, and
being Browns fans we know how hard a title that is to hold.

4 or 5 years? Nobody has had 4 or 5 years except Depo, Jimmy and Dee, unless we want to go back to maybe Mangini's days.

Is that for the players, or the coaches, or the Gms, whoever.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D

Your right ... folks were also thrilled when we drafted Corey Coleman, Peppers & Njoku ...

There’s two sides to every coin ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
It goes for depo, Andy and Kev ...

I firmly believe Hue/Sashi would have gotten there full allotment of time IF they didn’t shoot each other ...

These guys will more than likely not have that problem .... but u never know if picks go bad OR the play on the field is not representative of the talent Andy has acquired ....

These guys get along NOW ... so did Hue and Sashi at this stage of the honeymoon ... Andy/Kev are human beings just like Hue/Sashi are .... IF things start going south ... we’ll see how they get along then ... lets hope we don’t find out ... thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
When we're arguing about blowing a late 3rd round pick, then we've improved considerably from previous regimes.
\

I’m with u ... usually by now we’ve done things in FA and the draft that make me wonder if they used a dartboard ... nothing like that out of these guys so far with me ...

Not a fan of everything they did ... but nutting moronic IMO ...

GOOD LUCK BOYS ... thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Exactly. Andrew Berry made a good case for all our picks. I think he and whomever else has input have done a good job thus far.

I think they have as well, only time will tell though.

Just wanted to add I'm strongly against using analytics in football, but I'm trying to give these guys a chance before I fall off the deep end like the OP has.

List of teams that use “analytics”:
All of them

It’s 2020, not wanting to use statistical analysis is crazy talk.
Yes even the magical Dorsey used analytics.

Sometimes it feels like people don’t really mean “analytics” it’s just a keyword to mean “I hate these nerds.”

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Quote:
What do they know compared tp Fl Dawg

He doesn't have a say rofl ... but the Browns do and they do not agree either.

I’d take u over all of them bro .... thumbsup

PS. Your not that good either but they don’t set the bar very high ... *L* ...

Just breakin your chops bro ... hopefully your able to *L* unlike the ones with the tight sphincters on here ... thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C
The mistake in this thinking is assuming that a player drafted in the third round will be good. It's basically a 30% chance he's even a long term starter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
your so right.. pick in the 6th... A Tom Brady will agree with you

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Quote:
What do they know compared tp Fl Dawg

He doesn't have a say rofl ... but the Browns do and they do not agree either.

I’d take u over all of them bro .... thumbsup

PS. Your not that good either but they don’t set the bar very high ... *L* ...

Just breakin your chops bro ... hopefully your able to *L* unlike the ones with the tight sphincters on here ... thumbsup

... *L* ... thumbsup

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D

Don't say that to loud. Berry and Depo might still do hat.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Moving down 14 spots for a 3rd round pick was a solid move.

While I would have like Malik Harrison as well, I think you're over reacting.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Here we go again.

I liked taking the T 1st and I think I liked the Delpit pick. But after that we went back to out thinking ourselves.

We traded down and missed out on a very good LB ( Brun ). Stupid analytic move. I can't even think on all the good players we passed on to play analytics. We passed on the Ohio State LB (taken by Balt ) to draft some slow footed sec bum.

Now the 3rd day and we can fill out our roster with Special teamers and guys that can't play. I hope you trade down guys learn your lesson but I know you won't.

Thanks Jimmy Haslam for scrwing up again.

BRING BACK DORSEY

This post reeks of someone who is angry at our leadership for simply being educated.

Braun isn't a scheme fit. He isn't even really a LB.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BpG

How many good players did we pass up to move down.

Legend
Legend

We haven’t heard from Berry to know if Phillips was the target all along. He might have been rated much higher on our board than what most thought. Btw I didn’t like this pick.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

As it was stated earlier a 3rd round pick has a 30% chance to be a long term starter. That % does not change between picks 74 and 88. By adding an additional 3rd next season the Browns have increased the odds of finding a player in that 30% range by increasing the number of selections.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wills, Delpit, and Bryant should all have an immediate impact. Elliot has a chance to make that a 4th player from among our picks. 3 of 7 rookie contributors is a very good draft. 4 of 7 would be outstanding, IMO.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Wills, Delpit, and Bryant should all have an immediate impact. Elliot has a chance to make that a 4th player from among our picks. 3 of 7 rookie contributors is a very good draft. 4 of 7 would be outstanding, IMO.

Ideally, 0 out of 7 would start and get a chance to get acclimated to the NFL and all push out current starters next year.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

14, potentially....

Legend
Legend
also ZERO potentially.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Ideally, 0 out of 7 would start and get a chance to get acclimated to the NFL and all push out current starters next year.
That is how the persistently successful teams do it. We aren't there yet, but that's the goal.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Following up on my own post.

The Pats, curse their souls, have been the best team in the NFL in terms of being relevant year in & year out. They are always picking at the bottom of the draft, and they are always having successful drafts. Often enough, the best long term prospects aren't necessarily NFL ready.

So the teams who need the draft to infuse their roster with talent go for the immediate impact players, while the Pats look for players to sit and learn.

Our goal should be to get to where NE is.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

That is how the persistently successful teams do it. We aren't there yet, but that's the goal.

It's close to how successful teams do it. I'd say every team in the NFL expects the 1st round pick to start from day one. Which is why a late first round QB who needs to sit 2 years is such a bad pick.

For instance, Josh Uche, who got drafted by the Patriots, is definitely going to start/play a majority of the snaps day one. Kyle Dugger might play a lot of snaps as well.

The Ravens drafted Patrick Queen and he's DEFINITELY going to start day one. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is going to get the majority of the snaps day one with the super bowl champions. SF took 2 starters.

If you are relying on 4th round picks to be starters on day one, then you might have a serious problem. But, then again, the only day one starters that the Browns took, IMO, is Wills and Delpit. At most, maybe Phillips is a day one starter, but he'd definitely have to blow everyone away at camp.

TL;DR- Expecting some rookies to contribute day one is something all teams should strive for.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Of course, what I meant, explained in more detail. I agree.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Elliot ranked 19th bst DT. Diffidently HOF.

I have two draft guides i used during the draft. Both had Elliot as a good pick. In fact, i'll pull them up right now and show you the rankings of both.

This took me awhile, so i hope people see this and find it interesting.

Jordan Reed's Draft Guide
Wills (Round 1, 10): Pos. 1st. Overall 5.Early 1st
Delpit (Round 2, 44): Pos. 2nd. Overall 31. Early 2nd
Elliot (Round 3, 88): Pos. 8th. Overall: 79. Early Third
Philips (Round 3, 97): Unranked
Bryant(Round 4, 115): Pos. 5th. Overall: 122. Mid 4th
Harris (Round 5, 160): Pos. 11 (this includes all guards and centers). Overall 134. Early 5th.
Peoples-Jones (Round 6: 187): Pos. 16. Overall 99. Early 4th

Dane Bruegler's Draft Guide
Wills (Round 1, 10): Pos. 1st. Overall: 5th . 1st Round
Delpit (Round 2, 44): Pos. 4th. Overall: 46th . 2nd Round
Elliot (Round 3, 88): Pos. 6th. Overall: 68th. 2nd-3rd Round
Philips (Round 3, 97): Pos. 17. 5th Round
Bryant (Round 4, 115): Pos. 3rd. Overall: 85th . 3rd Round
Harris (Round 5, 160): Pos. 4 (this includes all guards and centers). Overall 92nd. 3rd Round
Peoples-Jones (Round 5, 160): Pos. 24 . 4th-5th Round

Basically, Lindy's Rankings are Lindy's. Just as Bruegler has his own and so does Jordan Reed.

According to my two sets that i use for reference, we did pretty well except on the Jacob Philips Pick. But, that's just it, they're one guy's opinion.

The two guys i decided to follow, their opinion says we do pretty damn well

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 04/26/20 10:33 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Legend
Legend
L
Thanks Petey! It’s nice to see our picks validated (even if it’s only two evaluators).

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not for nothing bro ... u really think Berry’s gonna get up there and say “we really wanted x and were bummed when y took them” ... *L* ....

I thought it was a bad trade based on extremely limited info ... basically no info ... unless one of us knows what our big board looked like its more speculative than most of the speculation on here ...

But going off what Berry says after the fact doesn’t give us any ACTUAL INFO only how he’s gonna frame it after the fact info ...

Please be gentle on me if i missed something ... haven’t read the board for over a day and i have no clue what he said about it ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

To get right to the point I want to make in response to your post, sorry if it's too blunt for you. Zero of seven starters from this Browns' draft class is nonsense. The discussion for months has been how can the Browns fill holes on the roster with difference-makers/possible starters. At no time can I recall any legitimate discussion about whether there were voids at LT, Safety or LB (this is not a discussion of how the LB hole occurred).

Can you name one option already under contract who gives the team competent LT play? How about FS? I'll wait.

Wills with RT experience only, is vastly superior to Hubbard. There's really nothing to discuss there. Delpit may need some time to secure the starting position over a savvy +30-year-old veteran but if he does not do so at some point this season that becomes a real problem.

I don't think the TE position was in severe need of an upgrade but I understand that we need improvement from that position.

Clearly, if the Browns' first or second round picks need to sit and be developed then other players should have been selected in their place.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Diam, you may be right but I am not certain the sashi team would have gotten any more time if they worked well together. I think Jimmie went into this process with his eyes open and knew rough seas were ahead for the next couple years. but I think rough seas in his mind were 3-13 or 4-12, not 1-15 and 0-16. He probably felt like he was on the titanic.

I hope we have our guys now and brighter skies are ahead!!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Oh yeah, the skies are blue, the water is as smooth as glass and the route to the Isle is right in front of us!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think if they didn’t shoot each other that we would have brought in a dude like KJ after year two to take over Sashi’s role in personal decisions and let Sashi do what he was good at ...

The thief’s biggest mistake with that FO team was not putitng a football guy with way more experience than Berry had back then ... i said it day 1 when they were hired ... i said it would end the way it did ... it was the only possible outcome once things went north ... Sashi and his team had zero credibility with Hue or any of the other coaches ... that was a MORONIC ASS move ny the thief that had no chance of working ..

The bye week debacle forced the thief’s hand ....

I hope these guys are here for a decade .... it means the thief would have made a significant move from being the worst owner in the HISTORY OF SPORTS .. and that’s what we all want .. thumbsup

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Oh yeah, the skies are blue, the water is as smooth as glass and the route to the Isle is right in front of us!

QFT ....

LETS GOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo thumbsup

C
Legend
Legend
C

Which teams don’t start rookies?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Which teams don’t start rookies?
You're taking that too literally. More accurately stated, the NFL's best teams tend not to rely on drafted rookies to be their best players, tend to let even good prospects sit and learn before growing into their role on the team. Yes, every team will start rookies when that is their best option.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season 2020 NFL Draft Smarter than everybody else

Link Copied to Clipboard