Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1760915 05/06/20 02:41 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am not convinced that what we have on the roster is final.

I don't believe Berry is done.

Our linebacker position looks weak and shallow. Not much experience and no great display of talent with what we have.

I think we are ok in the defensive backfield.

Not sure if we are done on the DL.

Clay Matthews might be worth a flyer. He had a good season last year and he brings needed experience. He has played both inside and outside.

Clowney and Gerald McCoy are still possibles on the DL

Last edited by bonefish; 05/06/20 03:08 PM.
Legend
Legend
I think a vet LB makes sense ... Bradham perhaps? Or just wait for cuts

I thought McCoy signed with Dallas, but I could be wrong

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

You are right about McCoy.

I didn't know that the Cowboys signed him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I feel like there is already a thread about our linebackers LOL

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I'd sure like to say there is a Clay Mathews on the team again,
Who wouldn't!

History, I'm afraid the next moves to expect are a trusted known commodity veteran already on the team to be cut and make everybody ask why.
I hope not.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Why does not much experience = weak and shallow ....

To me it means there an unknown ... we’ll know if its weak and shallow sometime in October ... u may be proven right but i don’t agree at this point ... unproven does not = weak ... and depending on how many we plan to play it may not be shallow ... *L* ... i agree with shallow ... don’t agree with weak ...

Wilson’s PT last year will serve him well this year ... he flashed and is a man on a mission ...
We didn’t see much of Taki and I like the dude from LSU we nabbed ...

Lets hope there bettor than they look to U at this point and surprise us all ... thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Taki hardly played and he was picked before Wilson.

Wilson had a decent rookie year. Schobert who lined everyone up and was the defensive captain is gone.

They signed a jouneyman to a one year deal.

Kirksey is gone.

Any star players? How about depth at the position?
There are 3 other guys on the roster I have never heard of.
We drafted a player in the third round.

Who's the leader of the linebackers?

Little experience and no vet leaders. Not a linebacker on the team near the top twenty.

So unless one or more makes a giant leap what do we have?

I don't have a problem developing players but you need position leadership first.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I mostly agree. It might not hurt to bring in a vet backer. I don't know if we are all that weak at the position. We are green at the position so some might view that as being weak.

Let 'em play. Plus, we are probably going to be in 2 backer sets a good portion of the time.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I still don’t see an answer to my question ... why does unproven = weak ... i agreed we were shallow ...

U seem to be ASSuming Taki isn’t any good just because he couldn’t take PT away from Sho last year ... it also sounds like u don’t think the rookie will help much this year ... i think he will help our run D ... dudes a baller in the run game ...

Your spot on about the leadership ... can’t argue that one ... it would definitely help and is needed ... Clay Matthews is still out there and there maybe more ... like your thread title says ... moves to be made ... some vet leadership could be one of them ...

But if we don’t add any I’m not about to write this group off just based off inexperience and no vet leadership ... I’m excited to see this group and its a free roll as most think like u and the unit will not be good ... thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last year Schobert led the group.

What we have now is unproven. Maybe that is more accurate.

Normally you judge a position group by their previous performance. Kind of hard to do that now seeing that Wilson is the only guy, and he was a rookie.

It is not like we are going into this year with a veteran group with proven history.

Unproven = weak? Not necessarily but certainly not a proven strength.

Legend
Legend
Yeah, I’d call our LB’s unproven ... without much proven depth either.

What would be ideal? For Wilson, Taki, and Phillips to be the answers!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know many here wanted to draft Malik Harrison. I was reading, maybe Pluto, that Woods prefers speed in the middle and Phillips has that.

We will see how it works out. Seems the pick was scheme specific.

You never know how it is going to work out 2-3 years down the road, but I really do think we had a good draft.

As to the point of the thread, no doubt we will continue to build and add. There are still good football players out there.

It happens this way every year. You have the initial free agent signing right out of the gate, then it stops as teams concentrate on the draft. The draft started last Thursday...give it a week or two and we will seem more movement on the free agent front.

I am sure we have some irons in the fire and will look to add a few more players. This is the value season. Players and agents want the big contract on the initial wave. Well, they didn't get that, so now they are looking for a contract. That changes things.

At this point, teams aren't in any hurry like they were several weeks ago. Strike fast. Now the players agents are interested in talking turkey with the GM's.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Now were on the same page ... thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

All good.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I still don’t see an answer to my question ... why does unproven = weak ...

Our top three linebackers were all bad last year. The guy from GB stinks. Wilson struggled and Taki was lost when he was on the field.

We lost our two best LBers and one of-if not our best--special teams guy who was also a LBer.

The unit is weak.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
I still don’t see an answer to my question ... why does unproven = weak ...

Our top three linebackers were all bad last year. The guy from GB stinks. Wilson struggled and Taki was lost when he was on the field.

We lost our two best LBers and one of-if not our best--special teams guy who was also a LBer.

The unit is weak.

So come on man, tell us what you are really thinking.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I tried to answer Diam's question. Is that okay?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I tried to answer Diam's question. Is that okay?

Ahhhh, you really do need to develop a sense of humor my friend. It makes life so much easier to digest.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Check the link below for missed tackles and %/missed tackles. Then, check the "Rat" column for passer rating on targets vs defenders. You can click the column header to see them in descending order. Check out our DBs "Mtkl" (missed tackles) and Mtkl% (missed tackle pct). Heads up: our defense lead the league in missed tackles. Other heads up: our Safeties got worked by opposing QBs re: QB rate.

I *think* we helped the Safety positions in FA and the draft. I'm not so sure about our LBs, and I'm not talking about losing Schobert. He lead the team in number of missed tackles (but not %).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2019_advanced.htm#all_advanced_defense

D
Legend
Legend
D
We’ll see ...

Wilson struggles at times ... he also played well in spots ... he should have stood in school ... IF he did he may have went in rnd 1 .... and lasts not forget that PT he got last year will help him immensely ....

Taki Was lost as a rookie that got very little playing time ....

They were both rookies .... players take there biggest jump between years 1 and 2 ...

IF they don’t improve they will be weak ... i expect improvement, only question is how much and will it be enough ...

I like the kid they drafted ... great fit for us ... we needed help in the run game ... dude should help right out of the gate ...

I am rooting big time for TakiTaki ... i mean what island doesn’t have a Taki bar ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
U
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I know many here wanted to draft Malik Harrison. I was reading, maybe Pluto, that Woods prefers speed in the middle and Phillips has that.

You never know how it is going to work out 2-3 years down the road, but I really do think we had a good draft.

As to the point of the thread, no doubt we will continue to build and add. There are still good football players out there.

It happens this way every year. You have the initial free agent signing right out of the gate, then it stops as teams concentrate on the draft. The draft started last Thursday...give it a week or two and we will seem more movement on the free agent front.

I am sure we have some irons in the fire and will look to add a few more players. This is the value season. Players and agents want the big contract on the initial wave. Well, they didn't get that, so now they are looking for a contract. That changes things.

At this point, teams aren't in any hurry like they were several weeks ago. Strike fast. Now the players agents are interested in talking turkey with the GM's.

I was one of the guys who wanted Harrison. Harrison was faster than Phillips in the 3 come and 20 yard shuttle. He was either exactly the same in the 40 or a couple of hundredths faster, depending on what site you are on. With Harrison going to the Ravens we will see if Phillips was the right choice.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just tried to answer your question, bro. You've reached the point of not listening to me. I noticed it last year and now again. Hope your instincts are right and that I am wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just tried to answer your question, bro. You've reached the point of not listening to me. I noticed it last year and now again. Hope your instincts are right and that I am wrong.

he was being sarcastic wink

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
unless we can find a veteran that knows what Woods is doing, I really don't think we'll do it.

I don't see Clay wanting to come here, and I don't see us going after someone his age.

On the DLine, I wish we'd do a little more, but I think they're gonna let the dough rise and see what they have. Plus, I think they've turned their attention to things like re-signing Myles.

I think, for the most part, we've settled on our defense for the time being.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
U
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I was one of the guys who wanted Harrison. Harrison was faster than Phillips in the 3 come and 20 yard shuttle. He was either exactly the same in the 40 or a couple of hundredths faster, depending on what site you are on. With Harrison going to the Ravens we will see if Phillips was the right choice.

I like Harrison as well. Just sharing what I read. It came across that it was a team specific pick.

If that is who Woods preferred, so be it. It might just be BS. I don't claim to own the comment.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I was trying to be PC and nice.

But I said it weak and shallow until proven.

The only thing I would add is that Wilson for a rookie had some good moments. Taki who was hyped by Eliot Wolf could not find the field becasue he just cound not catch on to his assignments.

I really don't see how the unit can be expected to perform well if the plan is to start Wilson, Taki, and rookie Jacob Phillips.

That is placing to much responsibility on way to little experience. Add to that the whole virus interuption into a normal preparation and I see a problem.

Legend
Legend
I saw the same. Phillips over Harrison was a 'scheme pick'.
I'm not sure that I'm buying it, but that was the reason given.

We will see - eventually.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think having so many OSU fans on the board makes people more familiar with Harrison. I'm among that group. But I'm also not a person who wants us to draft that many OSU players. Once NCAA players leave college and advance to the pros I want the best players for the Browns drafted no matter where they went to school. But as an OSU fan I have a lot more familiarity with Harrison than I do with Phillips. So I'm in a wait and see mode. I didn't really favor drafting Harrison over Phillips because I don't actually know enough about both players to make that determination.

This years draft turned out very odd in one respect. In the first round we drafted a LT and the very next pick was a LT. In the second round, we drafted a S and the very next pick the Bucs drafted a S. Then when we selected Phillips, the Ravens drafted Harrison right after our pick, both being LB's.

So I believe that will make it much easier to see whether the BPA at their respective positions was how things turned out from the new/old FO.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'm not sure if it was a 'scheme pick' or more of a 'had a better interview with us pick.' I suppose the two could be related.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

I'm not sure if it was a 'scheme pick' or more of a 'had a better interview with us pick.' I suppose the two could be related.

The reporter writing about it said that Berry said it was more of a scheme pick than anything.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I was looking at the FA linebackers remaining.

Slim pickens.

My guess is they will either make a trade or most likely wait for cuts and salary cap casualties as time moves forward.

The more I look at this the more I dislike not signing Schobert.

when they decided to not make a competitive offer there should have been other options planned.

I think this position group will prove to be a problem unless additions are made.

Reminds me of the OL last year which went the entire season unsolved.

D
Legend
Legend
D
We had BUMS playing tackle last year ... they STUNK before last year ...

These guys are unproven ... it may turn out to be weak but this is nothing like the PROVEN CRAP we had playing tackle for us last year ... these guys may end up crap but we don’t know that yet ... thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

True.

But there were issues at RG as well.

Both of us pointed at the tackles early and often/

Last year Schobert was the guy lining up the defense.

Goodson I know little about. Other than he has been around and he was signed to a one year deal.

Taki has done next to nothing. I think Wilson will improve.
However, he is not ready to be a group leader.

We shall see. I always hope for the best.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would LOVE for them to sign Matthews! So I know it will never happen. smile I am sure they will make some more moves and sign some other players but I doubt there will be any major signings or trades. Just the usual comings and goings...

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

While both technically will be stack LBers, they will play in different defensive fronts (4-3 ___ 3-4).

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

In listening to the pre- schedule release program Berry was on. He said they have still have work to do on the roster.

I don't what he is working on. But they can not be comfortable with this position group. It is an obvious weakness.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was livid when they passed on Harrison. I wish I had some knowledge or more info on what Woods scheme is going to be. Is Woods going to run a 4/2 similar to wilks of last season ?

Legend
Legend
Would you buy Clay's jersey?

I would seriously consider it. I imagined it signed by two generations! Wow!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Good to hear that this roster is not good to go yet. This shifted into a "win now" I suspect. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
Traditionally in the NFL 2nd year players on D have big time growth in their game.

A lot of opinions on the two youngsters Taki and Mack are from the beginning of their playing season.

I thought both showed growth in their game especially near the end.

During the season I read on several occasions that Mack was learning the game fast and making calls adeptly was in his future. Possibly it could have been "HEARD" as in TV analyst talking about him with conversations with our Coaching staff.

We definitely do not have a sure thing out there until we see it. In the 4-3 D and 4-2 D So much will be determined by our 4 DL men. Richardson is a beast. Garrett is back, so is Vernon and Larry we added some depth from last year as we had No names backing up our starters last year.

We have added Billings and Jordan Elliot probably the steal of the draft I thought. this should help our young LBs tremendously.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Moves Still to be Made

Link Copied to Clipboard