Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
NFL rule proposal to change onside kick reportedly gaining steam

By Dave Zangaro
NBC Sports
May 21, 2020 1:56 PM

The Eagles back in March proposed four rule changes, but have since withdrawn two of them.

The good news is that the most intriguing rule change they proposed isn’t just alive, but it’s reportedly gaining steam.

“NFL clubs today received updated playing rules change proposals.

Most interesting: an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team a chance to maintain possession by going for it on 4th-and-15 from their 25-yard line. Sounds like support for the idea is growing.
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) May 21, 2020”

Here’s the official onside kick rule change proposal from the Eagles:

“To provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring (4th and 15 from the kicking team’s 25-yard line).”

In total, there are seven rule changes (5 from clubs, 2 from the competition committee) that teams will vote on during virtual league meetings next week. These rules would have been voted on at the league’s annual owners meetings in Florida but those were canceled this season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Eagles’ other rule change proposal that’s still alive deals with the permanent expansion of replay.

The two rule proposals that the Eagles have since withdrawn were to modify the blindside block and to restore overtime to 15 minutes.

Here are the seven rule changes that will come up for vote in the virtual meetings:

• By the Competition Committee, to amend Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9, to expand defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but who has not had time to avoid or ward off the impending contact of an opponent.

• By the Competition Committee, to amend Rule 4, Section 3, Article 2, to prevent teams from manipulating the game clock by committing multiple dead-ball fouls while the clock is running.

• By Philadelphia; to amend Rule 15, Section 2, to make permanent the expansion of automatic replay reviews to include scoring plays and turnovers negated by a foul, and any successful or unsuccessful Try attempt.

• By Philadelphia; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1, to provide an alternative to the onside kick that would allow a team who is trailing in the game an opportunity to maintain possession of the ball after scoring (4th and 15 from the kicking team’s 25-yard line).

• By Miami; to amend Rule 4, Section 3, Article 2, to provide the option to the defense for the game clock to start on the referee’s signal if the defense declines an offensive penalty that occurs late in either half.

• By Baltimore and Los Angeles Chargers; to amend Rule 19, Section 2, to add a “booth umpire” as an eighth game official to the officiating crew.

• By Baltimore and Los Angeles Chargers; to amend Rule 19, Section 2, to add a Senior Technology Advisor to the Referee to assist the officiating crew.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-rule-change-proposal-onside-kick

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wish the NFL would adopt the XFL kickoff rules.

Legend
Legend

IMO I am unhappy about some changes that have already been made.

I understand the emphasis on player safety. However, what was once a thrilling play is for the part gone.

Josh Cribbs made you sit up and pay attention to kickoffs.
Along with many of the great returners. Now we get to see the ball sail past the endzone.

I do like moving the extra point line back some.

4th and 15 from your 25. Interesting. You will not see the on side kick again. Obviously the percentage is higher with 4th and 15.

Not sure yet.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
I kind of wish we could just go back to kicking off from the 30. I remember games when Josh Cribbs was our best chance to score. Kickoffs were exciting.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
Obviously the percentage is higher with 4th and 15.

Throw in all the ticky-tack defensive holding calls and questionable PI calls, and its practically a 50-50 proposition.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dave
I kind of wish we could just go back to kicking off from the 30. I remember games when Josh Cribbs was our best chance to score. Kickoffs were exciting.

Me too, but I don't think they'll ever do that because of the "player safety" charade.

Also, the part about Cribbs is true. I used to have season tickets and my daughter and I were at the Browns/Vikings game. I think BQ was the QB. We were completely inept on offense and the only highlights were provided by Cribbs. As the Vikings lined-up to kick-off after one TD, my daughter quips: "At least we have a chance to score now." It was that type of gallows humor that got us through many games.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Fix the freaking helmets and we could stop all these efforts to change the game, making it safer.

More helmet padding = less head injuries.

It really is that easy, folks...fix the helmets!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Call me a traditionalist, but I hate this.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I somewhat agree.

I think that fixing the helmets would make them look weird and the NFL--and many players--would not want that.

Where I disagree is that many of the concussions are caused be the violent whipping and stopping of the head. There is no pad that can protect that.

D
Legend
Legend
D
TRADITONALIST ... wink

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ha! I suppose I asked for that.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: mac
Fix the freaking helmets and we could stop all these efforts to change the game, making it safer.

Along with a better helmet, the league should move to eliminate leading with the helmet when tackling. Forget "head-to-head", just call spearing or targeting for any tackler who leads with their head anywhere on the ball carrier's body. 15 yard penalty the first time, automatic ejection on the second. Football has to find a way back to form-tackling - shoulders & arms - from youth football up through HS, college, and the pros before the nervous Nellies in Congress and state houses around the country outlaw the game altogether.

Legend
Legend

Along with a better helmet, the league should move to eliminate leading with the helmet when tackling. Forget "head-to-head", just call spearing or targeting for any tackler who leads with their head anywhere on the ball carrier's body. 15 yard penalty the first time, automatic ejection on the second. Football has to find a way back to form-tackling - shoulders & arms - from youth football up through HS, college, and the pros before the nervous Nellies in Congress and state houses around the country outlaw the game altogether.

It's a fine line. I'm tired of flags for incidental infractions. We're at a point where any time a player looks or acts like a tackle was painful, the flags fly. Big hit? Flag nearly every time.

As far as the helmet-to-helmet: It's clear to me that the defense is flagged nearly every time, even when the offensive player moves in a way that initiates contact. As much as I hate the fact that we have so many "interpretive" rules, replay officials really need to factor "intent" into some of these plays - these guys are moving at light-speed, not always easy to get your head out of the way.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Over the past few years I’ve thought the onside kick gives you VERY little hope. At least before the rule changes it would give you a fighter’s chance.

This might not be a bad thing to experiment with

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Me too, but I don't think they'll ever do that because of the "player safety" charade.

Also, the part about Cribbs is true. I used to have season tickets and my daughter and I were at the Browns/Vikings game. I think BQ was the QB. We were completely inept on offense and the only highlights were provided by Cribbs. As the Vikings lined-up to kick-off after one TD, my daughter quips: "At least we have a chance to score now." It was that type of gallows humor that got us through many games.
haha so true! I remember having those same comments ... our defense would give up a TD and we’d say “at least Cribbs can return it now”

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not a problem when Bill used it, became a problem when used against Bill.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I remember feeling exactly the same way.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Devil's advocate... they probably should've fixed that loophole when Bill did it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
the league should move to eliminate leading with the helmet when tackling.

Hell no! The game is played too fast and it is impossible to never lead w/your head. The game is over officiated now. Too many dumb rules.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Devil's advocate... they probably should've fixed that loophole when Bill did it.
we had a team in PA a few years back who used this loophole for nearly the entire game .. They were playing a FAR superior team ... they won the toss and received the ball ... they ran one play to start the clock, and then took delays/false starts for the entire 1st quarter ... Etc

They lost, but it wasn’t an embarrassment and they stayed healthy for their league games

D
Legend
Legend
D
The score may not have been an embarrassment but their coach was to the sport, the school and every kid on both teams ...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I somewhat agree.

I think that fixing the helmets would make them look weird and the NFL--and many players--would not want that.

Where I disagree is that many of the concussions are caused be the violent whipping and stopping of the head. There is no pad that can protect that.

vers...not sure what you mean, look funny?

Is the goal to protect a players brain or worry about being in fashion.

As far as the part about some violent whipping of the head..can you cite one example?

P
Legend
Legend
P
There are lots of examples of it. When your head hits the turf your neck snaps and the violence with which your head hits the turf causes a sudden shift in your brain. Your head may not move that much but it's the movement of the brain based on the impact that causes the problem. There is a fluid in your brain that it sort of floats in. Sudden changes in movement have a great influence on brain injury.

Same thing with a sudden, violent hit that stop you in your tracks. Better helmets may help reduce brain injuries but they won't stop them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Pit..do you have any examples of concussion using a helmet with additional padding added to the outside of the hard shell?

There have been helmet designs that provided superior protection, but the NFL didn't like them.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:
the league should move to eliminate leading with the helmet when tackling.

Hell no! The game is played too fast and it is impossible to never lead w/your head. The game is over officiated now. Too many dumb rules.

I think by "lead with the head" he means, head down, like spearing. But I agree there is no way to physically not have the head out front when lean in with a large apparatus on your head.

But there is a difference between head contact and leading with the helmet, and one that they should define more clearly.

But simply, if they would teach these guys how tackle rather than hit, it would solve a lot of issues. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I somewhat agree.

vers...not sure what you mean, look funny?

Is the goal to protect a players brain or worry about being in fashion.

As far as the part about some violent whipping of the head..can you cite one example?

What do you mean by what do I mean? It's self-explanatory. I don't agree w/it, but it's already been discussed.

Part 2: Can I site an example of a concussion taking place because of the whip-snap effect? Yes, I had two of them while playing. Do some research for yourself if you don't believe me. I'm not going to play this dumb game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Old school, man. Re-introduce leather helmets. Watch how many head to head tackles occur wearing them or head/helmet to any part of the body.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL............in an odd way, that actually makes sense.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Can I site an example of a concussion taking place because of the whip-snap effect? Yes, I had two of them while playing. Do some research for yourself if you don't believe me. I'm not going to play this dumb game.

vers...I believe you are talking about whip-lash type injuries that can result in injury to the brain such as concussions...?

But, correct me if I'm wrong, it would not matter what type of helmet an individual was wearing because none has been designed to address whip-last type of concussions...?

You and I know that there was a helmet used in the NFL that virtually eliminated concussion risk due to helmet to helmet contact...but the NFL did not like the helmet even though "it worked".

IMO, making all these rules changes to the game in an attempt to say they are making the game safer...it's nuts! Matter of fact, the number of concussions were up in 2019.

Just fix the helmets!..build upon a concept that has already proven "it works".
...as I have explained in the past, today's football helmets are still made the same way my helmet was made 50 yrs ago! The best and most padding that can be stuffed inside a helmet with a rock hard outer shell.
...like I've said many times, YOU CAN ONLY PUT SO MUCH PADDING INSIDE A FOOTBALL HELMET!

Then someone got the idea of taking the same helmets being used by NFL players and adding a layer of padding to the outside of the helmet...then some NFL players who were having issues with concussions, their careers possibly being cut short if those players didn't find a solution...they added the padding to the outside of their helmets and guess what...IT WORKED!

NFL players who were at risk of being forced out of the NFL because of concussions, saved their careers.

Pretty simple concept, just add more padding, padding to the outside of the existing helmets.

V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, I will try one more time.

I was agreeing w/you about the helmets. We both think that they should have extra padding. I did want to add the whip-lash thing, but again...I agree w/you.

I'm just saying that for all the talk about safety, the NFL--and many players--won't go for that due to the aesthetics. I am NOT agreeing w/them, but just pointing out the reality of the situation.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I can agree, but it isn't happening. Lot's of injuries and penalties on those plays. I am beginning to favor not even having kickoffs and just spot the ball on the 20 and play.

I like the onside kick proposal. It gives the team making the try a better chance IMO. Unless a team trys a onside try say after the half, giving up the ball deep isn't going to matter. You are going to lose anyway. Teams are just going to sit on the ball at that point. No point in chancing turning the ball over. Take a few knees and win the game.

I like the proposed rule for punt returners. Let them catch the ball and take 1 step forward before they can be hit. That seems fair and a safe way to do things.

As for technology advisors and all that, whatever. My thinking is just use some common sense when reviewing plays. It isn't that dang hard. It wasn't hard to see the Saints receiver got mugged. On close bang/bang plays, just let them play. Defenders are trying to play the game as well. There is a way for defenders to play without trying to kill people.

Play it a little more like we played it with our friends out in the school yard.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V

That is a picture of Mark Kelso's trading card. Do you guys remember him? He had multiple concussions and went to this helmet. He was mocked by other players and the NFL was dead-set against this type of helmet. Here is an article about it:

Quote:

Mark Kelso, mocked and shunned for his padded helmet in the 1990s, is still fighting to reduce concussions

Kevin Kleps
Sports Business

You would never know Mark Kelso played eight seasons in the NFL. Kelso was listed at 5-foot-11, 181 pounds in his playing days with the Buffalo Bills, and he appears to be 10 pounds lighter now, at age 50. If you have followed the NFL for a long time, you would, however, recognize Kelso if you were given a picture of him wearing a giant “ProCap” on top of his Buffalo Bills helmet. Kelso suffered four concussions in 1988 and '89. A sign of the times: He played in all 16 games in each season. Prior to the 1990 season, he was given a choice by then-Bills trainer Eddie Abramoski: Wear the ProCap — a padded helmet attachment that, according to Kelso, weighed 14 ounces — or don't play. “It looked stupid. Absolutely stupid,” Kelso said during a “Confronting the Concussion Crisis” talk Tuesday night, April 29, at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. During Tuesday's keynote address, Kelso told a story about how badly he was mocked by his Bills teammates during his initial practice wearing the ProCap. He said the first time Jim Kelly saw Kelso, lined up as a safety in a scrimmage against the Bills' first-team offense, the former quarterback had to stop the play because he was laughing so hard at Kelso's appearance. When Kelso got home that night in 1990, his wife, Robin, asked him about his day. “It was bad,” Kelso replied. “Really bad.” To show her what he had endured, Kelso drove his wife to the Bills' facility that night and donned the ProCap. Robin Kelso laughed so hard she fell to the ground, Mark said. And that was part of the problem with the ProCap, which never penetrated the NFL market the way Kelso and the technology's inventor, Bert Straus, hoped it would. “With football players, aesthetics wins out over safety every time,” Kelso said Tuesday night. Kelso said only two other players wore the ProCap in those days — former 49ers left tackle Steve Wallace, an All-Pro selection in 1992, and Randy Dixon, a guard who started 110 games for the Colts in a nine-year career that concluded in 1995. Kelso intercepted a pass in his first game wearing the ProCap in 1990. He went on to play four seasons with the device, which he credits for extending his career. In 1992, he picked off a career-high seven passes and helped the Bills to their third of four consecutive Super Bowl appearances. In four seasons wearing the ProCap, Kelso said he suffered one concussion, but it occurred when a player who was “100 pounds” heavier kneed him in the side of the head.

Kelso, Straus and others believe the biggest reason the Pro Cap, which is no longer on the market, never became a popular device to help combat concussions is the NFL was about as welcoming to the padded cap as Kelso's Bills teammates were the first time they saw him don his new-look helmet. This 2013 story by Bloomberg writer John Helyar details the many lengths to which the old-guard NFL allegedly went to squash any technology that competed with Riddell, which, until this season, had been the league's official helmet
manufacturer. Kelso and Straus, an Erie, Pa., native, formed a group that invested $200,000 to increase the production of ProCaps in the early 1990s. In the Bloomberg story, Straus tells a story about appearing before the NFL's concussion committee in 1995. Straus said the ProCap reduced impacts of collisions by as much as a third — the result of a study by the biomechanics laboratory at Penn State. But the concussion committee told Straus they believed the Penn State findings confirmed “our greatest concern regarding axial loading and catastrophic neck injuries,” according to Helyar's story. Kelso, Straus and Richard Nelson, the Penn State lab's founder, strongly disagreed with the league's assessment. In June 1996, the NFL sent its players a memo warning that the “standard helmet manufacturer's warranty may be negated or modified by the use of the ProCap.” It also said players risked “catastrophic neck injuries, including possible death,” by wearing the device. Straus told Helyar that Riddell salesmen provided copies of the memo to youth sports equipment dealers and colleges that used the ProCaps — essentially marking the beginning of the end for the device made famous by an undersized safety for the Buffalo Bills. Tuesday at Edinboro (full disclosure: I am a 1995 graduate of the university), Kelso said he was working with The Hanson Group, an Alpharetta, Ga.-based materials research company. The group has developed a padded helmet cover that is being used by some youth and college teams in practices. Kelso said South Carolina — and possible Browns draft choice Jadeveon Clowney — donned the helmet tops during the spring and summer. “I'm not worried about them wearing these in games,” Kelso said of the soft shell technology, which looks every bit as bulky as the old ProCaps, “because we're working on the whole helmet, too.” Kelso said it will cost about $2 million to build a helmet with the technology that has been developed by The Hanson Group. He admits he has a vested interest in the pursuit — so much so that he left his longtime administrative position at St. Mary's High School in Lancaster, N.Y., to concentrate all of his efforts to finding a better way to reduce concussions. But Kelso is adamant that he isn't doing this for the accolades or for business purposes. “I think we have the ability to play the game safely,” he said. “We have a responsibility as adults to help kids.” Kelso coached for 17 years after retiring from the NFL, and he stresses the importance of other practices that can help combat head injuries, such as proper tackling techniques, shoulder pads with an extra layer of padding and even improved nutrition. He would still like to see the soft shell technology make more of a mark in the NFL. Kelso, who is also a Bills radio analyst, was asked about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell during his talk Tuesday at Edinboro. The understated former safety said he couldn't get Goodell to return his calls, but he was able to have dinner with the commissioner five weeks ago — albeit in a large group setting in which he didn't get much one-on-one time. “We haven't allowed new technology into the market that will help our kids,” he said. Kelso is optimistic he can play a part in changing that. But the battle seems every bit as daunting as some of the matchups Kelso faced as a 180-pound defensive back who was mocked by many of his peers for his extra-large headgear.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/article/...in-the-1990s-is

Legend
Legend
Odd little gamble while going for the win. I like the onside. Handing the other team a lot of field and forcing your defense out there again after giving up a score. Handing the offense a short field in FG range seems unbalanced.

And to add to it, the ability of the referees to "own" the game's outcome with a call or no-call seems to stack the deck too much. That immediate FG range is a cheat to the defense IMO. Don't doubt it will fly though I don't remember injuries carted off for onside kicks. I don't think this is "competition" nearly as much as accommodation. Let's bring returners back to the NFL. The "Cribbs Rule." Too much artificial advantage to the offense. superconfused

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I'm just saying that for all the talk about safety, the NFL--and many players--won't go for that due to the aesthetics. I am NOT agreeing w/them, but just pointing out the reality of the situation.

vers...I'm encouraged that we agree on the need for better football equipment, especially the helmets.

Goodell just wants to make it appear as if the NFL is working on the concussion issue, with crazy rule changes rather than admitting, the guy who invented the pad worn on the outside of existing helmets, Bert Straus, WAS RIGHT!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I know all about the helmet you are referring to. And yes it would cut down on concussions. But it would not come close to eliminating them. Anything that can be done to reduce them would be a great idea. But there isn't a helmet that could be invented to eliminate them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Totally forgot about that helmet (I had that card too haha)

H
1st String
1st String
H
Don’t like the proposed rule for returners. If they are in a position to get crushed, call a fair catch.
A defender going 100mph looks for fair catch first, then has to wait till returner takes a step first?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I did a search for ProCap, and got a number of good articles. The biggest con is the increased friction of soft surface increases the potential for spinal injuries.

"What they found was precisely on-point with football’s current fear, that the softness actually distributes pressure to the neck, which can cause horrendous spinal injuries."

https://www.fastcompany.com/1671752/why-nfl-helmets-will-never-be-concussion-proof

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I did a search for ProCap, and got a number of good articles. The biggest con is the increased friction of soft surface increases the potential for spinal injuries.

"What they found was precisely on-point with football’s current fear, that the softness actually distributes pressure to the neck, which can cause horrendous spinal injuries."

https://www.fastcompany.com/1671752/why-nfl-helmets-will-never-be-concussion-proof

I was just going to add that. The problem is if the materials more or less stick to each other, that is a big problem.

You might solve the concussion problem, but create a bigger problem when players start severing their spinals cords just below the neck.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Proposed NFL Rule Changes (onside kick alternative)

Link Copied to Clipboard