Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
If the $15M he made last year in his free agent walk year didn't inspire him to greater heights then I'm not sure teaming up with Garrett is going to motivate him. On the other hand, PFF seems to think he had a good year in 2019 despite him not producing stellar stats, so I could be off base.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Clowney didn’t have many sacks but his pressure rate and play against the run were very good. He’s not signed yet because his health is a huge question and teams can’t get him in for a physical with their doctors. I would expect to see him signed soon after team facilities open back up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Clowney didn’t have many sacks but his pressure rate and play against the run were very good. He’s not signed yet because his health is a huge question and teams can’t get him in for a physical with their doctors. I would expect to see him signed soon after team facilities open back up.

I agree, he was very disruptive in the run game.

If there is a weakness in MG game it would be his contribution in the run game.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

He also was on the team with JJ Watt.

That is why I would need deep intel. I have reservations.

He is a good player. The Seahawks offered him a deal.

It is a matter of knowing what you will get. Basically do your homework on the guy.

Physically I am pretty sure he can get checked out.

This is a wait and see right now. He is on the radar.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think this is only about his health. He was healthy last year. I think the amount of money he wants combined w/his inconsistent motor/production are larger factors than his health concerns. I am not saying that health concerns aren't a factor, but I think one poster is overstating them and apparently ignoring the other factors.

Legend
Legend

Hey I agree. If you read my previous post.

I lay out all of what I feel about Clowney.

The physical is the least of my concern because that is the easiest to get cleared.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know you do. That is why I replied to you. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This could be an overstatement on my part but I think Clowney is physically dominating but mentally weak. We have had too many of those types of players and I think that is one of the reasons we have struggled for as long as we have.

to explain, I think physically he has the capability to be a HF performer. But I never got the impression that he loved football. Never had the desire to be great other than to get paid. That may be an unfair sttement on my part but it is the impression that I get from him.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend

Many agree with you.

If he matched his talent to production; he would get paid the amount he thinks he should get.

Clearly teams do not feel that way.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think a lot of Texans fans felt that way for a while

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I wonder if there is something where we're greasing the skids a bit since he has the same agent as Myles. Basically, the agent would be getting to double-dip from us, so perhaps we're working a way to take care of him for more favorable dealings?

Not too likely, but it's a hopeful possibility.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Well then. . .

M
Legend
Legend
M
Well then. . .

This was kinda alluded to this morning on 92.3 The Fan w/ a Charles Robinson interview. That the Browns are the ones with the interest and have stayed steady in their belief in his market value and have not wavered from it.....also, Clowney is still shopping hoping for a better deal referencing the figure. .

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting. I'd be curious to see the terms of the deal offered.

Legend
Legend

There really is no hurry.

Until camp breaks no drop dead date.

Maybe he is just waiting to see if a team will give him more.

I would not speculate that he doesn't want to be in Cleveland. I think he wants to get the most he can.

I don't hold that against him.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I don't want him here because I don't think he wants to be here. If true that Cleveland has offered him the most money and he is still waiting, then that says it all. If Cleveland is offering him a short-term contract and he is waiting to see if he can score a long-term contract somewhere, that's a mistake. With soft demand for his services he is taking a big risk with that strategy.

If Cleveland offered him a longer-term contract, and he is waiting for more $ the same thing applies. Soft demand isn't going to get him a long-term contract for more $ most likely. He is probably waiting for a one year 'prove it' salary with a team he likes.

His smartest move would be a one year contract here with Myles on the other side, so he can have a good year and then cash in next year with a team he wants. But where I am sitting, he doesn't even want that. Screw him.

Last edited by BWinCA; 05/27/20 05:25 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Well then. . .

IF its a one year deal I’m all in ... anything longer than that ... say hello to Jamie Collins Jr. ...

All Pro
All Pro
Meh... a 3-year deal (possible out after 2) would still be "off-the-books" by the time we have to get Baker his big money deal.

Not to mention he'd be a 30-year old FA when it ended.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I’m kinda with this thought as well ... and I bet our FO is looking at a big paycheck for 1 year as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

No offense but I don't think you know his reasons.

Not fair to speculate. "If" we have the highest offer on the table? Maybe he is waiting to see if someone will pay more?

We just do not know.

If he was quoted and came out and said I don't want to play in Cleveland. Then that is different.

I am sure the Browns know what is happening if anything at all. I mean they are in negotiations with Myles on an extension. Same agent.

I am actually indifferent. If they sign him ok. If not ok as well.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

No offense but I don't think you know his reasons.

Not fair to speculate. "If" we have the highest offer on the table? Maybe he is waiting to see if someone will pay more?

We just do not know.

If he was quoted and came out and said I don't want to play in Cleveland. Then that is different.

I am sure the Browns know what is happening if anything at all. I mean they are in negotiations with Myles on an extension. Same agent.

I am actually indifferent. If they sign him ok. If not ok as well.

Well, if I don't know I like to miss big. smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm about here with ya.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I hope we don't sign him.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't hold it against him if that's true (Cleveland has the competitive offer and he's waiting to see if there's more). That's the name of the game with the big FAs. Dude wants to maximize the money. Just how it is... he's not unique in this regard.

If the Browns really want to bring in extra talent, I won't complain. I just hope that the contract is manageable (and more from a duration perspective).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester
This could be an overstatement on my part but I think Clowney is physically dominating but mentally weak. We have had too many of those types of players and I think that is one of the reasons we have struggled for as long as we have.

to explain, I think physically he has the capability to be a HF performer. But I never got the impression that he loved football. Never had the desire to be great other than to get paid. That may be an unfair sttement on my part but it is the impression that I get from him.

I concur doctor

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well then. . .

maybe it's because he doesn't want to play in the shadows of a better player on the opposite end of the line.

AKA Kyrie Erving Syndrome

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Meh... a 3-year deal (possible out after 2) would still be "off-the-books" by the time we have to get Baker his big money deal.

Not to mention he'd be a 30-year old FA when it ended.

You are still thinking along the lines of the old salary cap restraints. off the books by then would be good. But now, if w don't use it, we can carry it over which several years ago we couldn't.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend

Players hire agents. They pay them to get the best deal.

Players listen.

They should. They paid for the advice.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Of course they should. However, this goes back to what we were discussing earlier. The biggest reasons why Clowney is still available are his asking price and his motor. Not his health concerns.

Houston traded him because they could not agree on a long-term contract. That is about money. Seattle hasn't kept him because of his contract demands and overall production. There is a pattern here.

Again, I think it would be a mistake for the Browns to sign him. He is a good player, but he would be too expensive in comparison to his production.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree ... especially if wed lock him up for more than a year or two tops ... he has a tendency to coast and skate by when he’s comfortable

V
Legend
Legend
V
He's pretty much been on "show me" seasons for the last two years. Both teams moved on from him. Just say no.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
He played opposite Watt, and was the same player.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
So here's the situation. Most of the people on this forum don't think he is worth the money. And judging by the reaction of most of the teams so far, they appear to agree. You can say that they are holding back for whatever reason, but a guy who supposedly has that much talent doesn't hang from a branch this long.

The one exception is the Browns. They have supposedly made the best offer so they value him at this time more than others. Not saying this in order to point fingers at them but this is definitely a data point to remember when we evaluate the front office in the future. How Clowney performs this year will tell a bit about our front office.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BWinCA
So here's the situation. Most of the people on this forum don't think he is worth the money. And judging by the reaction of most of the teams so far, they appear to agree. You can say that they are holding back for whatever reason, but a guy who supposedly has that much talent doesn't hang from a branch this long.

The one exception is the Browns. They have supposedly made the best offer so they value him at this time more than others. Not saying this in order to point fingers at them but this is definitely a data point to remember when we evaluate the front office in the future. How Clowney performs this year will tell a bit about our front office.

my thinking is that he has Kyrie Irving Syndrome. He wants to be the man and doesn't want to live in the shadows of Garett

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: BWinCA

I'm not sold that what Clowney does or any other free agent NOT signed by the Browns does elsewhere proves anything about the Browns. Each team is a separate and unique organism. All teams have variables including: contract terms (which might differ depending on where he signs) defensive scheme, surrounding talent, schedule, offensive productivity, veteran leadership and organizational stability among other factors.

If you can't control for these conditions, and you can't, it's just an elaborate conjecture about what he would do in Cleveland.

Judge the Browns by wins and losses, if you are inclined to judge.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Again, I think it would be a mistake for the Browns to sign him. He is a good player, but he would be too expensive in comparison to his production.

Agreed.

Unless it’s a one year contract, not interested.

Too many guys to pay to be paying a guy with injury/work ethic questions. Esp one who seems to be unsure about being here.

I’m still of the team building mindset to get let Vernons contract run out, replace it with Garrett’s, and hope to get a DE in the first round next season. I’m convinced that Depodesta and Berry plan to rack up comp picks by letting these 1 year contracts expire and doing very little in FA next year

There’s plenty of our own players to re-sign instead of giving a multi year contract to Clowney. As Diam said earlier, I get the feeling of Jamie Collins Jr with this one.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 05/28/20 07:13 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well if we do go and get him - between he and Vernon we got one full time DE opposite Garrett due to health issues.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
He's available for a reason
He's a name. He's a 1st RD bust.
This regime hopefully has learned the errors of past regimes
If this was George Farmer he would have had Clowney signed and way overpaid
For him

V
Legend
Legend
V
He's not a bust. LOL........this place is crazy.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agency Cont’d

Link Copied to Clipboard