Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
AHH colleges. They want your MONEY and don't give a crap about anything else. I guess they have not changed in the last 45 years.

Except now they want even more money.

Legend
Legend
*starting the paperwork to open up my own college*

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
arch has a daughter in college. I think he is speaking from experience and I think it is very understandable why he is upset. It's his daughter! Maybe it is time for a bit of compassion?

arch, we fight a lot, but I think you are a good family man. I'm sorry you are having to deal w/this situation w/your daughter and college. It freaking sucks and you have my full support.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I was just saying I haven’t heard of colleges being open. I don’t begrudge him for worrying about the safety of his family.

A
Legend
Legend
A
How many colleges, U's have you heard about being closed, dorm wise?

Heads in beds - that's what they want.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I’ve literally heard nothing. I just assumed online meant kids are staying home.

A
Legend
Legend
A
My daughter's room mate one of three, has absolutely NO in person classes, but as of today, she is still required to live on campus.

You do the math on that one.

C
Legend
Legend
C
My daughter's room mate one of three, has absolutely NO in person classes, but as of today, she is still required to live on campus.

You do the math on that one.

That’s crazy and makes no sense. I guess she could just pay for the dorm and stay home.

What school is this?

Legend
Legend
J/C

State schools in PA are talking all possibilities. They recently canceled all fall sports, but haven’t made the commitment to online schools. As of now they’re still advertising for in person

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
So Penn State isn't playing football? There goes the Big 10.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
If they play this will be the year Browns get to the SB and no fans will be allowed in the stadium.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Covid 19 has altered the way we live. Still so much unknown. One expert I heard on Meet the Press said we will have to learn to live with this virus.

Made we wonder about stadiums without fans. How would that environment affect performance?

Most players have been playing in front of people since Mom and Dad were at Pop Warner games or equivalent. Each grade up more people in the stands.

TV may add crowd noise. They may put people computer generated images into the stands. Who knows what the end result will look like.

But playing games with nobody there will have to be one strange sensation. No worry about hearing signals. But no juice. No cheers. What dance moves in the end zone with nobody there? Will the players be flat? Will the lack of crowd emotion actually change play?

I wonder. Nothing to base it on.
Living with the virus doesn't mean there will not be a vaccine for it. It will be like living with the flu. Those who want it will get a covid-19 vaccine shot, or shots, every year like you can do for the flu.

I don't think the players will be flat because of no crowd. Football is an emotional game and they will find ways to fire each other up.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You ever play sports? The crowd gets you amped up more than normal. Period.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I have been watching baseball.

Yes it is strange. But on a tv screen you are withdrawn. You watch but being there is different.

The players on the field have adapted. They are pros. They practice to empty seats. When the game begins they are competing against another team. They know they are on tv.

The juices take over.

Football is emotional. I think the players will find it strange to begin with but will adapt. Once they start hitting on each other. Muscle and brain react to how they prepare.

I wonder about the time away. Can young guys isolate themselves?

This is all an experiment.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I "believe" some players feed of the crowd more than others .. On the Tribe it's Lindor..

Legend
Legend
Those are great questions and insights. Can noise and such help the home team and make it so they feel more juice? I have wondered about artificial fans in the seats and such.

Loowered the bar for one and all. Going to be odd to watch. I also enjoy fans and visual spectacle. Like Duke's student section in basketball, Buckeye crowd and script Ohio in the shoe. The uproar factor, the sheer noise, that's part of live sports. Like "Wild Thing" in Major League. Accept no substitutes. WWe will get back to it and maybe it will be even more frenzied after this. Absence makes the hearts go wilder!" brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My plan: Have a lottery for season ticket holders for x amount of seats. The seats would be socially distant, temp taken on entry, masks required. The seat chart would be monitored. Bathrooms would have an attendant only x amount at one time, stalls only. Walking areas and parking would have signs asking to maintain social distance.

I think it could work. It "should" be only outdoors. Possibly indoors but that would need extra research and adjustments. Maybe less people and attention to air circulation.

The virus can only jump so far and do so much.

It will not happen but "if" people could be counted on it would work.

Back to reality. The biggest adjustment will be for the players to adapt to forced isolation. They will be leaned on heavy about what is expected regarding their conduct.

Last edited by bonefish; 08/01/20 07:10 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Once 3-4 teams become infected and can't play and games are called off, the NFL will understand how stupid this is.

Players aren't going to stay in bubbles. All will have to go to the store several times a week for food and necessities. Some will have to hit a club to "hook up". The same goes for all staff employed by the Browns, or any other team for that matter.

What about the aircraft they will have to sit in for a hour or three, or the bus for local transport? What about hotel rooms? Who is to say a few rooms don't get cleaned as well as others? Who is going to get those rooms? Locker rooms. Are teams going to clean the opponents locker as well as they clean their own? Food service. Players are going to need to eat.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

About the whole "take your temperature before entering" thing. There's quite a percentage of Covid infected people who show no symptoms. They carry and spread the disease without showing any symptoms. Taking a persons temperature would eliminate those with a fever but would allow people who are asymptomatic to enter.

It's a measure taken to make you feel safe that pretty much accomplishes nothing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree. We’ve had to take temperatures before workouts and stuff ... but it’s pointless and is just done to seem like we’re being safe

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When I go to the local aquatic center to lap swim. They have closed the locker room and showers. When you come to the front door they take your temp. It could turn back those who may have a low grade fever which is a pre-symptom in many cases. I understand the problem with asymptomatic carriers. But if outdoors, socially distant, along with required masks; the risk factor would be dramatically cut down. Eliminated?

I doubt like I said that this would go into effect.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Being outside and wearing a mask certainly helps mitigate the situation without close proximity and physical contact.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
I think the temperature thing is just 1 part. It's like a filter. Different filters catch different sized particles. And we use multiple filters if we truly want a clean product.

Taking temperatures filters is the course sediment filter, it filters out the obvious, and most likely the most infectious.

If people would have better manners and be more courteous toward others, they would just stay home if they had a fever, but many people don't. Just look at the number of people that don't wear masks, or sneeze/cough without covering up.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 08/03/20 08:06 AM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Sounds reasonable to me, up to th point where you introduce fans. Human nature and just rebelliousness is the threat.

We are just starting the spread (hopeI am wrong) if we jam kids into school. Regular flu was a chore, but with this to boot? We could really ramp this up.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

About the whole "take your temperature before entering" thing. There's quite a percentage of Covid infected people who show no symptoms. They carry and spread the disease without showing any symptoms. Taking a persons temperature would eliminate those with a fever but would allow people who are asymptomatic to enter.

It's a measure taken to make you feel safe that pretty much accomplishes nothing.

That's not entirely fair Pit. Taking Temp is just the first quick step in finding out who MAY be infected.

It was never intended to do anything for the virus other than give an idea if the infection (any infection)is present

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh it's fair. Asymptomatic people spread the virus just as much as anyone else with the virus. The number of asymptomatic people is huge.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Harvard has said all of their classes will be online for this school year. They are still charging full price... but their classes will be online only until the all-clear.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
A
Legend
Legend
A
Just moved our daughter in to her dorm today. 2 weeks until classes. (she'll be home until then).

We had a 10:30 to 12:30 time slot. Next room mate had 12:30 to 2:30. Next room mate 2:30 to 4:30, and room mate 4 has 4:30 to 6:30. Because of the virus.

That's all well and good, right? Until 2 weeks from now, when the 4 of them will be there together.

The 1 room mate has NO in person classes. Not 1, but is required to live on campus. My daughter has 1 in person class.....and then it was changed to on line, but has now been changed back to in person ....wonder how many times it will change between now and the time school starts.

U of T requires all freshman and sophomores to live on campus unless they live 20 (or 30) miles away or closer.

Heads in beds.

This will be her 3rd semester at Toledo, but with taking college classes in h.s., and 1 class this summer at a Com. College, she SHOULD be able to start nursing school after this semester - probably doing the summer and fall semesters. Absolutely everything is day to day, week to week, month to month.

If, IF things go as we think they could, she'll take the spring semester off, and start nursing school in the summer. She'll share an apartment closer to the Health sciences campus - and probably save us money.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Harvard has said all of their classes will be online for this school year. They are still charging full price... but their classes will be online only until the all-clear.

I understand full price. They won't charge room and board. I am sure the professors will still be available for private counseling as they normally are. That is always scheduled. You don't just show up at the professors office and expect 20-30 private minutes. That time has been scheduled forever.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
What if you attend Harvard, but live in Texas? Kinda tough to stop in at the prof's office.

B
Legend
Legend
B
What if you attend Harvard, but live in Texas? Kinda tough to stop in at the prof's office.

It would be online, just as the class.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
I tried the online thing, but the the Doctor said a colonoscopy doesn't work like that, so I got down from my desk and pulled my pants up.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just moved our daughter in to her dorm today. 2 weeks until classes. (she'll be home until then).

We had a 10:30 to 12:30 time slot. Next room mate had 12:30 to 2:30. Next room mate 2:30 to 4:30, and room mate 4 has 4:30 to 6:30. Because of the virus.

That's all well and good, right? Until 2 weeks from now, when the 4 of them will be there together.

The 1 room mate has NO in person classes. Not 1, but is required to live on campus. My daughter has 1 in person class.....and then it was changed to on line, but has now been changed back to in person ....wonder how many times it will change between now and the time school starts.

U of T requires all freshman and sophomores to live on campus unless they live 20 (or 30) miles away or closer.

Heads in beds.

This will be her 3rd semester at Toledo, but with taking college classes in h.s., and 1 class this summer at a Com. College, she SHOULD be able to start nursing school after this semester - probably doing the summer and fall semesters. Absolutely everything is day to day, week to week, month to month.

If, IF things go as we think they could, she'll take the spring semester off, and start nursing school in the summer. She'll share an apartment closer to the Health sciences campus - and probably save us money.

I take my son Wednesday form 3-5 to Thiel.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Where is Thiel?

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I heard something about the number one reason universities are bringing students back on campus is to justify playing football this upcoming year. Harvard and other Ivy League schools cancelled football, so I get why they made their decision.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/03/20 07:24 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I heard something about the number one reason universities are bringing students back on campus is to justify playing football this upcoming year. Harvard and other Ivy League schools cancelled football, so I get why they made their decision.

You can’t justify the football players being student athletes if school is not going on for everyone else. The ironic part is that football players mostly take online classes anyway.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are probably aware of what is going on w/all of this, so I am not saying it for your benefit.......but I heard some stuff from the PAC 12 in the last couple of days and it sickens me how these aesthetes are being exploited. The one DB who is projected to be a first round pick talked about how they are not being tested and over 100 of them are in close quarters. Absolutely disgusting.

I might start a thread about the demands of the PAC 12 players and the comments from the Washington State coach. This is big news in my opinion. These guys need a voice.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Games without fans

Link Copied to Clipboard