Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
If you want to talk football get back to me. If all you have is personal insults like usual, and now, go back to seventh grade.

I don't have time for your stupidity.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
You guys think this is some flag football league??? Question is why didn't Freddie have an off season conditioning program set up for Baker.

Quote:
Guys don't just get out of condition, granted Baker has to take some accountability. But the more I look at last season the more I see a total lack of leadership by Kitchen's. I see a HC that was more interested in getting his playbook in rather than having the team succeed and execute. Laize Faire does not work with Football.

That's deflection Tab. That's taking the very things that Baker took the4 blame for and trying to shift that blame onto someone else.

That's indicating it was more Freddie's fault than Baker's. That's saying that what Baker said is not truthful when he took the blame himself. Baker blamed only himself. It appears you find that to be false.

You may know some football, but you sure have a hard time with English.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If you want to talk football get back to me. If all you have is personal insults like usual, and now, go back to seventh grade.

I don't have time for your stupidity.

Amen to the last line (not referring to u tabber) ... thumbsup

And then u follow that post up immediately with a reply to tabber ... rofl ...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c...from the article:

"...just have the open communication with Coach Kevin Stefanski, (offensive coordinator) Alex Van Pelt and the rest of the staff, we know what we are attacking each and every day. It feels a lot better, and we are taking it one day at a time, as we should.”

I'm surprised this comment hasn't yet been commented-upon. The insinuation that this is something "new" certainly confirms the notion(s) as to why the offense was so dis-jointed last year.

Freddie went from supposedly being the "open communication" type to whatever-he-was-last-year...and Baker's teacher went from Zampese to Lindley. I think the Zampese-to-Lindley factor was a much bigger deal than has been publicly let on. JMO and from reading way to much about the Browns.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don't man. They stuff like this every year with every new staff. None of that really matters.

Just win.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Yeah, somebody had to "explain to him" what deflection was. It seems you didn't get the memo.

Now you can resort to the only two things you've managed to come up with in 20 years. 0+0=0 and MenZa.

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
I love that he's owning a lot of this, but man Freddie Kitchens was HORRIBLE.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
He certainly was. But seeing Baker own up to his part in it I consider to be a great sign of maturity and taking personal responsibility. That's all positive.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Quote:
Reasons to expect Baker Mayfield to bounce back in 2020 — and one reason not to

By Sam Monson
May 29, 2020

What can we expect from Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns in 2020? Here, I hope to answer that question — or at least give some reasons to be optimistic or pessimistic beyond gut feel and instinct — by looking at the data we have available to us.

For anybody who has followed PFF for long enough, you’ll know our position on Mayfield has been clear from very early on. We were the first outlet to push him as the No. 1 overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft and felt a degree of vindication when the Browns made that call. Mayfield proceeded to have a record-breaking 2018 rookie season, but then 2019 happened, and suddenly what was so clear and obvious became clouded and uncertain.

PFF gets accused of bias all the time when it comes to reinforcing our priors between college prospects and their subsequent NFL careers, but the truth is that we have far too many checks and balances in place for that to ever be a factor. And that’s not to mention the major contracts at stake from all 32 NFL teams that incentivize us not to let that potential bias creep in.

For every Baker Mayfield — where even in a down year we are a little more optimistic than the consensus seems to be — there’s a Mitchell Trubisky. We were out in front of saying Trubisky was a poor NFL quarterback even when the narrative was that he was trending upwards. And had we been trying to vindicate our pre-draft take on the North Carolina product, we would have been right along with that narrative, not fighting against it.

But what we saw from Mayfield last season was concerning enough that you can certainly build a pessimistic case for his prospects, no matter what we thought of him before that. We’ll do that at the end. But firstly, let’s look at some reasons to be optimistic about a bounceback.

1. The majority of the data and tape is good

We now have almost five full seasons of Mayfield’s play graded between college and the NFL — four of those seasons are excellent. If his 2019 tape had been anywhere other than the most recent thing we had seen, the narrative on Mayfield would likely be one of an ascending young quarterback about to emerge as one of the best young passers in football. But recency bias corrupts our view of the evidence.

Even though three of those seasons were in college (and the NFL evidence is therefore closer to 50:50), we shouldn’t simply dismiss them as irrelevant. They happened, and they can show us legitimate tendencies about his play. In college, Mayfield was peerless in the areas of quarterback play that have the tightest correlation to future success: he had by far the highest PFF grade and passer rating on plays from a clean pocket and was the most accurate passer in his draft class.

2. His Supporting Cast

Everything unraveled in Cleveland last season, not just Mayfield. What was supposed to be a finally settled regime was in such disarray by the end of the year that they blew it all up to start afresh once more.

Longtime Browns fans will have heard this story before, but the moves they’ve made this offseason look, on paper, to be moving the team in the right direction. They have also shown a sound and coherent strategy of improving the situation around Mayfield and removing excuses. They paid (and maybe overpaid) for Jack Conklin at right tackle and Austin Hooper at tight end to come in and firmly address two problem areas. Conklin has earned an overall PFF grade of 70.0 or more in every healthy season of his career and topped 80.0 in two of his four years in the league. This is a major upgrade over the roster of tackles the Browns used last season — none of whom topped 70.0 — and it's a significant improvement over Chris Hubbard and his 50.5 overall grade at right tackle.

The Browns continued to attack last year’s issues in the draft, selecting Jedrick Wills Jr. with their first selection of the 2020 NFL Draft while maintaining the array of weaponry they assembled last year. This time around, though, they’re expecting a healthy Odell Beckham Jr.

Beckham and Mayfield weren’t able to get on the same page at any point in the season, but OBJ was dealing with an injury that couldn’t have helped matters. Beckham has two seasons with a PFF grade above 90.0 and two more of 84.6 or better on his résumé. Last year was the only “healthy” season in which he has failed to grade above 84.0, let alone at the 68.7 he eventually finished with, and we know that injury played some part in that.

Beckham was able to dominate despite Eli Manning grading in the bottom third of NFL quarterbacks and finishing below average in terms of accuracy. Even Mayfield playing at his 2019 level should be enough for Beckham to look significantly better than he did in Year 1. That the Browns rebuffed any trade options for their star receiver shows they have faith he can prove to be the player they thought he was in Year 2.

These moves have all tried to eliminate variables around Baker Mayfield but also put the focus and pressure squarely on his shoulders going forward.

3. His Environment

As distinct from the supporting cast on the roster, it’s important to understand that the system itself was also a mess a season ago, hence the sweeping changes to the regime. And now it has been replaced with one that has a proven NFL track record.

Hooper allows the team to run more two-tight end sets in Kevin Stefanski’s offense, something that system relies heavily upon. Minnesota ran 46.3% of their offensive snaps last season with two tight ends on the field, second only to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Kirk Cousins may have always been a little better than his perception has been, but he represents the latest quarterback to enjoy a career year in this variant of the Kubiak/Shanahan offense. Last season still generated a four-point bump in his overall PFF grade and a five-point bump in passing grade within this offense. His NFL passer rating jumped over five points from the year before, and he had the second-best PFF grade in the league when kept clean in the pocket. Cousins unquestionably enjoyed a career year because the offense became significantly more quarterback-friendly, just as it is expected to this year for Mayfield.

4. Anomalous Decline

All statistics fluctuate to some degree from year to year, but some are more stable and consistent than others. Accuracy is a pretty consistent trait, and while you can find some who dramatically improve that year to year — fixing a mechanical issue, learning some new nuance, even changing scheme or personnel, etc., — it’s rare to see somebody catastrophically decline in his ability to hit a target with the football, especially when age is not a factor.

Using PFF’s ball-location data, Mayfield’s percentage of accurate throws declined from 66.5% in 2018 (fourth in the league) to 55.4% (30th of 33 qualifiers). Simply put, that’s just a weird level of variance that you would expect to bounce back, even without the added data from his college career that consistently put him among the most accurate passers in the nation.

As a rookie, Mayfield’s grade was in the 69th percentile or better in five of the six stable metrics that best predict future performance. The following year, just one was above the 51st percentile, and his clean-pocket grade had plummeted to the 28th percentile. Again, that’s such a severe deviation that it speaks to an issue beyond the quarterback or typical variance. These data points are called stable metrics for a reason, and they typically don’t show anything like this degree of volatility. The fact that Mayfield’s did suggests other things were at work.

Reason for concern

It’s not all optimism, though, because Mayfield’s play last season was extremely concerning. You can still make the case that the report of his demise was exaggerated — his grade was still 73.5, around 10 points better than Mitchell Trubisky or Sam Darnold and 20 points better than legitimate disaster shows like Mason Rudolph or Kyle Allen — but the concern was real.

Mayfield began to start seeing ghosts in terms of pressure, and that’s a flaw that has destroyed quarterbacks in the past, from David Carr to Marc Bulger and others. Overwhelming pressure is a problem, but when that causes the quarterback to distrust his protection and look to escape pressure that isn’t even there, that’s where problems seriously arise.

That takes us back to those stable metrics. For as strange as the degree of decline was, it left Mayfield with just one of six categories in which he was even above average in areas that are supposed to be the most predictive of future performance. Only six quarterbacks threw a greater percentage of uncatchably inaccurate passes, and only two of those six have starting jobs in 2020. Mayfield’s rate of straight misses was higher than Trubisky, Kyle Allen and Mason Rudolph — There’s no way to look at that with anything other than with grave concern.

Lastly, over two seasons now, he has been in the 35th percentile when it comes to avoiding negatively graded throws. This is one of the most critical factors in assessing quarterback play and one of the most predictive and stable numbers. While the other data points have fluctuated, Mayfield has remained consistently poor in this area in the NFL. This is in stark contrast to his college performance, which saw him finish in the 87th percentile over his starting career in this very same metric.

It was the weakest data point of his absurdly good passing profile as a college prospect but was still excellent; to date in the NFL, it has been problematically bad.

The Bottom Line

There is enough reason for optimism to expect some kind of bounceback season from Baker Mayfield in 2020. On the balance of probabilities, it seems enough is tilting his way that we should see him have a solid year, but the areas of concern and lingering doubt that remain are significant.

Mayfield’s struggles in the NFL so far are in areas that have sunk quarterbacks in the past, and given how fast things went south a season ago, it’s a very real fear that he doesn’t turn things back around and instead descends further into the rut of bad habits and bad decisions. If that happens, Mayfield will become just another name on the jersey of Cleveland’s quarterback sadness rather than the savior we had thought the Browns had finally found.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-reasons-to-...ce-back-in-2020

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He certainly was. But seeing Baker own up to his part in it I consider to be a great sign of maturity and taking personal responsibility. That's all positive.

Oh totally in agreement there. I love his maturity. I really think he can bounce back this year. I just hope this coach knows what he's doing, he certainly checks all the boxes aside from any HC experience, and this is as talented of a browns team as we have seen in a while, especially with the improvements on the OL.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bonefish

?

I want to see if he has had problems reading where to throw the ball?

I think there are a few things here that have led to this label - [1] His height. [2] Not being asked to do too much his rookie year [3] Playing badly last year.

We've seen him look off receivers sometimes. We've seen him go through some progressions sometimes. But we've also see him key on receivers. We've seen him not spot open receivers. We've seen him scramble from clean pockets ...

My personal opinion is we don't actually know at this point. I think there is as much evidence one way as another. Rookie season breakdowns by Brian Baldinger highlighted a lot of good things ... we've all seen some of the bad. I think year 3 we're going to see early season struggles because of the lack of pre-season and impact of CV-19 ... but I think by mid-season we'll get to see what Baker's true ceiling might be. I don't ever expect him to be Peyton or Brady - but he seems to have a very natural feel for the position and game ... it's why I think he has the ability (that we witnessed rookie season) to consistently throw receivers open which is a pretty rare talent.

Can't wait to see his maturation.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mgh888
We've seen him look off receivers sometimes. We've seen him go through some progressions sometimes. But we've also see him key on receivers. We've seen him not spot open receivers. We've seen him scramble from clean pockets ...

You just described every single quarterback in the NFL.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: mgh888

You just described every single quarterback in the NFL.

I've seen Brady spend an entire game going only looking at his first read. Most of that is probably due to him knowing who is going to be open before the snap.

But the main point is you can't do those things to the detriment of winning.

Baker just needs to win.

Legend
Legend

Time will tell.

Really that is all that can be said. First year he set a record. Next year he didn't play very well.

I doubt that Buffalo or the the Jets are ready to throw away their guys. Lamar went to the best team. The Ravens built their offense around him. They were patient and the Ravens have had continuity. All good things for a young quarterback.

We shall find out over the course of this season if Baker will improve. It is to bad that this is the year of Covid .

But I expect Baker and the team to improve as the season rolls along. Hopefully the virus does not hit the team.

Next year being Stefanski's second year along with his staff should be the year that real team direction should be made clear. They should have a good feel for Baker's future with the team after the 2021 season.

when you look around at other quarterbacks like Goff, Carr, and others these quarterbacks are not easy to figure out. Lot of factors involved. Baker is no different.

I mean Mariota, Winston, Newton, and even Luck. At times they were considered franchise guys. And it is not like they were complete failures. Goff and Carr are still not fully established players.

Baker has the skills. However, your team has to win. In the end that is the dominate stat.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I've seen Brady spend an entire game going only looking at his first read.

You're eyes may have told you that, but it's not true.

As for the rest of this reads/progressions discussion going on........LOL

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Nice article. I can't tell you how much I wish I knew how Baker was going to perform this year. I just desperately want to know. It's like when I was waiting on the final season of Game of Thrones. Hopefully it doesn't turn out the same way...

Re: Brady. I have to say, I thought he was the best QB I've ever seen at reading coverages. I thought his post-snap reads were even better than Manning.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
That's deflection Tab. That's taking the very things that Baker took the4 blame for and trying to shift that blame onto someone else.

Sorry you are one of the last posters on this board to be the decision maker of who is deflecting and who is being objective about Baker. Truly you are condescending setting your self up as the Posting God...hmmm maybe cause you cannot handle yourself in an actual debate so you simply fall on the OH YOU ARE DEFLECTING if anyone posts their position of what they saw last year. How dare you...you should be ashamed of yourself. tongue

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Re: Brady. I have to say, I thought he was the best QB I've ever seen at reading coverages. I thought his post-snap reads were even better than Manning.

I would agree w/that. I think both Brady and Manning were great at pre-snap and post-snap reads.

Pre-snap reads are about reading the defense. What tendencies that team employs in that particular look, the down and distance, the score, field position, time on the clock, etc.

Post-snap reads are about quickly going through your progressions. It's not just about throwing to the "right guy," it's about doing it quickly.

It's hard to diss either Brady or Manning in either area, but if I were judging, I would say:

Manning was probably the best ever [Brees and Brady are right there] at pre-snap reads. Brady was probably the best ever at reading post-snap coverages.

It drives me nuts when people--and even announcers--try to make it sound like reading defenses is just one thing. There is a significant difference between pre and post-snap reads.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U never saw JOE MONTANA play .. i find that hard to believe ... naughtydevil

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was thinking about him as I was typing that. I chose to not include him because many of our posters never really got to watch him play.

I also couldn't recall if it was his pre- or post-snap reads that were better. I'd have to watch some games again. Also, the game was different then because of the rule changes and personnel packages on both offense and defense.

But yes, he is certainly should be put at--or near--the top.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The Great ones are just that!

and each era had multiple great QBs. Don't forget Otto Graham. just cause most of us didn't see him play it does not void his greatness. Right up there with Tom Brady, Joe Montana et al.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab

Sorry you are one of the last posters on this board to be the decision maker of who is deflecting and who is being objective about Baker. Truly you are condescending setting your self up as the Posting God...hmmm maybe cause you cannot handle yourself in an actual debate so you simply fall on the OH YOU ARE DEFLECTING if anyone posts their position of what they saw last year. How dare you...you should be ashamed of yourself. tongue

So much for any substance coming from you. I'm actually giving Baker credit for stepping up to the plate while you seem to be calling him a liar. Good job.

I'm not going to stoop down to your level.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I was thinking about him as I was typing that. I chose to not include him because many of our posters never really got to watch him play.

I also couldn't recall if it was his pre- or post-snap reads that were better. I'd have to watch some games again. Also, the game was different then because of the rule changes and personnel packages on both offense and defense.

But yes, he is certainly should be put at--or near--the top.

No need for all that .. just take my word for it ... *L* ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree tabber ... each era has its studs and there could be an argument made for a handful as to who was the best ever ... its so subjective ... well after Joe anyhow .. *L* ...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Completely agree.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Baker stepping up and owning his sh...stuff is one of many reasons why I wanted to draft him. This isn't really anything new.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Baker stepping up and owning his sh...stuff is one of many reasons why I wanted to draft him. This isn't really anything new.

Will you do the same and apologize to me for all the grief you gave me about his prep for last season? I normally would not ask, but the constant claims of me being a liar were over the top.

V
Legend
Legend
V
With that said, I am glad Baker is taking accountability and has worked harder this off-season. I also like how he is not making news w/his mouth.

I don't know if he is going to be a good qb or not, but I feel more confident about him this year than I did last year at this time.

We have the best weapons in the league. If Baker plays well, we will be an unreal team. I think he has a shot to have a really big year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Will you do the same and apologize to me for all the grief you gave me about his prep for last season? I normally would not ask, but the constant claims of me being a liar were over the top.

you an I got clobbered last year at this time with our opinions about Baker.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Have you apologized to me, yet?

And last year, Baker was asked by his coach to get away from football. So, doubly no.

My point was not Baker's preparation or lack there of, but rather that Baker was doing as he was asked. Did he learn from last year? Hopefully Freddie did as well.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't think so. I won't bother you w/it again.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I didn't think so, either.

Why would you expect an apology if you've never given one?

And ironically, you lied and said you would, but never did.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Sometimes you need to be knocked down before you can see the truth.

These young athletes grow up, and for many years are told how special they are, treated differently, and often are miles ahead of others around them in terms of talent and ability.

I think last year was an eye opener for Baker. The NFL is the best of the best, there is no skating through now.

In hind sight, I think having a great rookie year followed by a bad last year really may help him. In his first 2 years in the league he's seen both ways, super highs and super lows, and NOW we have the talent all round him, so we need him to be on his game, and putting in the work.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend

'He's all ball': No excuses for Browns' Baker Mayfield in Year 3

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29745264

BEREA, Ohio -- Before knowing that the coronavirus pandemic would sweep the country, Kevin Stefanski knew he needed to go meet his quarterback. The new Cleveland Browns head coach phoned his father, a front-office executive with the Detroit Pistons, to inform him he was headed to Austin, Texas, the following morning to see Baker Mayfield.

As fate would have it, Ed Stefanski was actually flying to Austin the same February day on a scouting mission for the Pistons. The Stefanskis had even booked reservations at the same hotel.

The next day, Kevin Stefanski introduced himself to Mayfield's family, including his wife, Emily, parents and brother. Then that night, as Stefanski and Mayfield went to dinner together, Ed Stefanski dropped by the restaurant to say hello.

"Tremendously valuable," Mayfield says now of that day. "For us to establish that relationship ... getting to meet his dad ... talk about things off the field and just for him to see what I'm about and for me to see what he was about. You hear all these things, but until you can sit down and have a conversation with somebody, that's when you truly get to know someone. A big value that looking back on I think we'll appreciate."

Weeks later, the magnitude of COVID-19 became a reality in the United States. That soon transformed the Browns' offseason into a virtual one. Mayfield and Kevin Stefanski did not see each other in person again until late last month when Mayfield reported for training camp. But that meeting in February set the foundation for what the Browns are hoping will be a bounce-back campaign for Mayfield heading into his pivotal third season in the NFL.

"From that moment until now, I've been very impressed with Baker," Stefanski said. "He's all ball."

From that moment in 2018 when they picked Mayfield No. 1 overall in the draft, the Browns have been all Mayfield.

Since then, Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam have fired a general manager, three head coaches and two playcallers in an attempt to find the right combination for Mayfield, even if all the turnover hampered his development along the way.

This offseason, new general manager Andrew Berry doubled down on the franchise's belief in Mayfield and broke the bank to upgrade the offense around him. Berry committed a franchise-record $63 million in guaranteed money to sign Pro Bowl tight end Austin Hooper, right tackle Jack Conklin and backup quarterback Case Keenum -- the latter primarily to serve as a sounding board for Mayfield. Berry also used the 10th overall pick in the draft on Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills Jr., selected to be Mayfield's blindside protector.

Prior to that, the Haslams, with chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta leading the search, handpicked Stefanski, who once coached Mayfield's childhood football hero, Brett Favre, in Minnesota. Stefanski will try to help Mayfield fully realize the potential he flashed as a rookie, which then dissipated in a dismal and dysfunctional season in Cleveland last year.

Now, despite Mayfield being just the fourth quarterback in NFL history to endure four different head coaches in his first three seasons with one team, the pressure has shifted squarely on him to deliver.

The supporting cast, featuring Hooper, wideouts Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry, and running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt -- all Pro Bowl players -- might be the envy of any quarterback. The offensive line, behind Conklin and Wills, could be the most improved in the league. The Stefanski scheme, heavy on play-action, seems better suited to Mayfield's skill set.

With all of that in place, the excuses of the past are gone. The onus is on Mayfield to prove he is indeed Cleveland's franchise quarterback and capable of turning the Browns into a winner.

"I think it's an unbelievable opportunity, with the moves we've made, the pieces we brought in," Mayfield said. "I'm extremely excited about that.

"All that matters is this year. A new team, a new staff -- and we are ready to roll."

Mayfield, known for his flag-planting swagger, acknowledges that he lost his way last year. After tossing 21 interceptions on a 6-10 team, he even confessed to doubting himself -- a rare admission from the former two-time college walk-on so defined by self-confidence no matter the doubters.

"Not having that success, not finding out what was working, I think I tried different ways of trying to have that success, and I didn't find it," he said. "I lost myself in that, and I wasn't able to be who I [needed to be] for these guys."

The virtual offseason away, Mayfield says, provided him with time alone to rediscover himself mentally and recommit physically. Time he didn't always have last summer.

Coming off a season in which he broke an NFL rookie record with 27 touchdown passes, Mayfield became an even bigger star than he was at Oklahoma, where he won the Heisman Trophy. He spent time socializing in California. He got married there, as well. He filmed commercials and appeared on magazine covers, including ESPN The Magazine's.

This offseason, Mayfield turned down numerous media opportunities and agreed to only one interview -- a Zoom call in late May with Cleveland media arranged by the team. "Moving in silence," he called it then. "That's how I used to do it before getting on a bigger stage."

Instead of gallivanting on the coast, he and Emily stayed with Mayfield's parents while the house the couple bought on Lake Travis on the edge of Austin, Texas, was being renovated.

Following their meeting, Mayfield poured his energy into consuming Stefanski's playbook. With offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt, who tutored Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay, Mayfield revamped his footwork, which cratered at times last year.

Mayfield led a players-only Zoom meeting every Thursday to foster locker room chemistry. He crashed other position group Zoom meetings to study what they were doing. He invited several of his offensive teammates to Austin in mid-May so they could finally work out together.

Before that, he helped recruit Hooper to join Cleveland, and in two phone calls over a 24-hour span, convinced No. 3 wide receiver Rashard Higgins to re-sign with the Browns, even though Higgins was being offered more money to play elsewhere.

Perhaps most impressively, though, Mayfield reshaped his body.

With so much happening last summer, including his wedding, Mayfield wasn't able to put as much time into his conditioning. By design, he also added weight to help him withstand the punishment of an NFL season, and to his credit, Mayfield has now started more consecutive games than any Browns quarterback since 1999.

But that extra weight also sapped his quickness and his ability to evade tacklers and scramble outside the pocket last season. Mayfield was sacked more often per passing attempt than any quarterback in the AFC. On top of that, Mayfield was fighting nagging injuries, which prevented him from working out as much he hoped.

"I was heavier than I was ever playing before," he said. "I needed to be able to have the scrambling ability and to be able to move in the pocket." Mobility is a requisite in Stefanski's offense, which relies on a quarterback's ability to roll out off play-action.

"As the quarterback of this team, you are the standard and you are what people follow, and I think he understands that now. We are ready to help him push that standard."
Joel Bitonio on Mayfield
After the season, Mayfield altered his diet to rely on his wife's healthy home cooking, dishes they often post on Instagram. He committed to working with a nutritionist and a trainer. And when he arrived to camp, he had added four pounds of lean mass and cut his body fat. Beckham proclaimed this week that Mayfield even "has like four-pack" abs now.

"Physically, he did a hell of a job in the offseason of getting ready," Van Pelt said. "A lot of that is leaning down, losing a little bit of weight, and that is going to help him as far as his movement skills go. All the work that he has put in the offseason is definitely showing up on the field now in training camp."

The talent surrounding Mayfield on offense is undeniable. ESPN recently ranked Cleveland's running back unit No. 1 in the league, its wide receivers fifth, its offensive line sixth and its tight ends seventh.

The biggest looming question is whether Mayfield can make it all work in Stefanski's system, which figures to begin with making it work with Beckham.

After then-general manager John Dorsey traded for Beckham last spring, the Browns became one of the heaviest bet-on teams to win the Super Bowl in Las Vegas. But together, the pairing failed to sniff its own expectations. And while Mayfield and Beckham always had each other's back in the media, the two struggled to find a rapport on the field. Beckham's sports hernia injury, suffered in training camp, prevented them from developing their chemistry in practice.

Playing through the injury, Beckham ranked 15th in the NFL with 132 targets, but just 131st in receptions per target, with a catch rate of only 56%. The duo's failure to get on the same page culminated in a loss at Denver in November. On a game-deciding fourth-and-4, Mayfield was criticized for not throwing to Beckham, who had dashed open along the sideline. Although neither Mayfield nor Beckham has commented on it, Mayfield had been expecting Beckham to run a mesh route across the middle of the field and cross paths with Landry, according to multiple sources from last year's team. Mayfield still tried to squeeze the ball to Landry, but the pass fell incomplete, dropping the Browns to 2-6 while turning their playoff aspirations into a long shot.

This week, Mayfield told NFL Network that his chemistry with Beckham is "sure as hell going to be a lot better than last year." Beckham, healthy again and thriving in training camp after undergoing surgery in January, agreed, then praised Mayfield's physical and mental state this camp.

"Of course, I'm going to say it's going to be better than last year," Beckham said. "As far as him, he looks great -- mentally, physically. He's doing great. He's just in a good place. As a teammate and as a guy who has always been a fan of Baker and as a brother, it's great to see him in this place."

Adding Hooper should only help in creating more favorable matchups for Beckham out wide. More crucially, Hooper should improve Mayfield's efficiency by giving him a reliable target over the middle and underneath the coverage that he desperately lacked in 2019.

Even though the Browns didn't have a tight end finish with more than 15 receptions last season, Mayfield was still more effective when two or more were on the field. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, Mayfield averaged 8.3 yards per passing attempt with nine touchdowns to just three interceptions and a QBR of 62 with multiple tight ends. With one or none, those numbers plummeted to 6.9 yards per attempt and a QBR of 49; Mayfield also threw 18 interceptions with just 13 touchdowns with one or no tight ends (Stefanski utilized multiple tight ends on the field 57% of the time as offensive coordinator in Minnesota last season, the highest rate in the NFL).

Before Hooper signed with them, the Browns pitched him on being the type of tight end that Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowler Mark Andrews was for Mayfield at Oklahoma, according to a league source. In 2017, the year Mayfield won the Heisman and the Sooners topped the nation in offense, Andrews led the team with 62 receptions, even as OU boasted a pair of future first-round wide receivers, Marquise Brown and CeeDee Lamb.

So far in camp, Mayfield and Hooper have been connecting as though they've played together for years.

"I got in contact with him early on in the process so when I did sign, I already had an idea of where am I going, who is my quarterback and what is he all about," said Hooper, who had 75 catches, 787 yards and six touchdowns -- all career highs -- playing with quarterback Matt Ryan in Atlanta last year. "Baker, obviously talented, a strong arm. He has a real competitive fire. That really made me want to sign here."

Hooper immediately went to work out with Mayfield in Austin after signing, then returned in May with the other Browns players.

"Banked a few hundred reps with him, had a good time with him on and off the field and just kind of got a feel for him, his personality, his wife, his family and his friends and just kind of really see Baker the person," Hooper said. "I definitely think that was the initial spark that really helped our chemistry."

Mayfield addressed his teammates the first week of training camp. He told them that he didn't do enough last year to help them. He asked them to hold him accountable. And he vowed to be better in 2020.

"He let us know it was not enough last year, and he felt bad about it," Pro Bowl guard Joel Bitonio said. "From a leadership perspective this year, he has done everything right. He is trying to lead by example.

"Just looking at him when he showed up, he looked a lot better. His body looked better. He looked like he was moving really well. He looked strong. All the things you want to see in a quarterback. As the quarterback of this team, you are the standard and you are what people follow, and I think he understands that now. We are ready to help him push that standard."

That has translated to the practice field.

A flashpoint manifested last training camp when Mayfield cursed and screamed at his receivers, including Beckham, for not running back to him on a scramble drill. This year, Mayfield has remained vocal, but shown a softer touch. This week, he pulled Donovan Peoples-Jones aside and put his hand on the rookie wide receiver's helmet as he spoke to him.

"Baker is a really good teammate," Stefanski said. "I think he really understands his teammates. I think his teammates play hard for him. That just goes back to that thing he has that nobody can put a finger on and that the quarterback position has to have. You have to have 'it.' You have to make sure you bring your guys along."

Then, channeling his father, Stefanski utilized a hoops analogy.

"The No. 1 job of a quarterback is to make the guys around you play better. There are a bunch of ways to do that. It is like the point guard on a basketball team."

Stefanski wasn't the only candidate for Cleveland's head-coaching job to fly to Austin to visit Mayfield. The week of the 2018 draft, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels made the trip to Texas to tell Mayfield in person that the Patriots would be interested in drafting him, should he slide at all.

Before hiring Stefanski in January, the Browns interviewed McDaniels at their practice facility for eight hours. Given the previous relationship, Mayfield was intrigued by the possibility of playing for McDaniels this time. But so far, Mayfield couldn't be more impressed with Stefanski, dating back to their time together in February.

"That's the most important relationship on a team, between the head coach and the quarterback," said Browns backup quarterback Garrett Gilbert, who grew up with Mayfield in Austin. "And I think you can see the beginnings there of a very solid relationship. And I'd say you'd probably have to take that back to Coach Stefanski flying down to Austin. That shows a lot about him, but also, if you know Baker and understand Baker, a couple things that are most important to him are loyalty and, obviously, his family."

As one of the NFL's youngest head coaches, Stefanski, 37, is all ball, too. And together, he and Mayfield will attempt to achieve the NFL version of mission impossible: end the second-longest playoff drought in all of professional sports, now up to 18 years.

"I see a very committed football player who is ready to lead and who is excited to play," Stefanski said. "Baker has embraced all of that -- since the moment he and I got to know each other."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Definitive proof that Baker is the best! LOL

E
Legend
Legend
E
You are doing nothing but attacking my opinion at every front in regards to Baker. If I do not Blame him for EVERY thing and point out other variables that contributed to his bad play...you just say "DEFLECTING" as if that voids my opinion.

It does not...just cause you don't have much knowledge on the subject it doesn't mean all must dummy down to your level. Sorry I will not. I continue to state that Baker had an off season last year. I just don't wish to put all the blame on him cause there were several contributions to our poor season on O. None of which is deflection. Of course it gives a POSITIVE outlook for our young franchise QB. But you wish to make it a shadow of a possible bust instead...then you pay an off compliment and state that you are complimenting him.

Proof is you claim " while you seem to be calling him a liar. Good job."

By posting that you actually void yourself of any credibility on the subject. So by your thought process if I state a fact of something other than Baker that contributed to the poor display by the O somehow in your warped way of thinking I'm calling Baker a liar. smh
Shame on you, you have sunken pretty low.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Why do u waste your time replying to him bro? ..

I make a football post on the exact same topic and u ignore it and reply to him with ZERO FOOTBALL in it ... it happens on multiple topics and has been going on for years ...

If u come here to talk football .. why?

There’s no need to defend yourself ... everyone knows who he is and who u are ...

All your replies to him does is make everyone quit reading everything u say to him .. u did the same thing with Vers awhile back ...

Come on man. Get back to football ... thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll chime in w/what I think is fair on this subject.

Baker talks about putting the work in this year, being a better leader, being in a better mental place, etc this year. I know I tried bringing up that he didn't work hard enough last off-season. And his recent comments combined w/his play seem to confirm that.

This year he is in better shape. You can see that even his face is thinner. He is keeping his mouth shut about coaches, opponents, the media, and teammates. These are positive things. I truly believe all of those things were negatives last year. But, I respect a person who can learn from their mistakes.

I don't know if all of this will translate into him becoming a really good qb or not. There are still some questions. But, I do think he is in a better place both physically and mentally this year.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Baker manned up. It's about time you do the same. Trying to make it sound like you know everything and anyone who disagrees with you doesn't know anything sounds pretty stupid.

I agreed with what Baker said. I gave him credit for manning up and working to do better. It seems you think Baker is a liar and if someone doesn't agree with you, you claim they're dumb.

You do understand just how that makes you look, right?

You see, I don't know if you simply don't read through the threads or have a problem comprehending what is posted. Not my problem. But I have stated that Freddie only made matters worse. That he had a part to play in all of this.

I didn't lay all of the blame on Baker. I'm simply happy to see he accepted responsibility for his part of it. I'm amazed that accepting responsibility has become a bad thing and giving someone credit for accepting responsibility is a bad thing.

So you just keep ranting tab. I'm sure others can read the thread ans see what's been posted. Your superiority complex is not becoming of you.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 08/30/20 11:36 AM. Reason: To Add Comments.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mayfield Says He "Absolutely" Doubted Himself Last Year

Link Copied to Clipboard