Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

Seems like a good move. Young, position of need, years left on his contract ... don’t know much about him as a player

Nick Saban says that he’s like a son and he’s never trusted a person more than he trusted Harrison. He said Harrison is better than Minkah Fitzpatrick, Eddie Jackson, and Jesus combined. According to a report.

R
Legend
Legend
R
He was also toxic in Jax's locker room!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Saban let Fitz watch the game film with the coaches on Sunday ... actions speak louder than words ... i could care less what the dude from the senior bowl says ... I’m going with the fact that Saban thought so much of Fitz’s mental acuity he is the only player allowed to watch film with the coaches on Sunday ...

This dude may be smart as well but based off Saban’s actions and praise of Fitz it don’t add up that Harrison was the brains of the D ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
It is well-known that Saban loved Fitz like a son. People used to even joke about it because it was so over the top. Hell, we posted articles about it when he was in the draft and when he was traded to Pit.

Also, Fitz was drafted in the first round and fetched a first round pick in a trade and this dude was drafted in the 3rd and was traded for a 5th.

But yeah, he's better than Fitz. LOL

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Literally no one said this.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, literally...........we both just said this. LOL

Hey cfrs..........it was nice talking to you. It's always a pleasure to watch you try so very hard.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Well, literally...........we both just said this. LOL

Hey cfrs..........it was nice talking to you. It's always a pleasure to watch you try so very hard.

I don’t even know what this means.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Quote:
OH! and Hey! We've seen STELLAR results in season openers for the last Generation, Yes 18 years is a "generation" (1 opening day win since 99)

What do we expect, we've put up with it since REAGAN was in office!

You weren’t a good history student were you.

Are you kiddin! Give me a history question, (not about Portland), and i'll give you an honest answer/guess without looking up information.

In fact give me 4, I'll give you 4 honest guesses.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Quote:
Let’s take a look at some of the things Saban has said about Fitzpatrick over the years:

On Fitzpatrick’s versatility as a corner and a safety:

“We have six different positions in the secondary and he’s played every one of them,” Saban said. “I don’t ever remember having anybody that’s played all the roles he’s played here and done it as well as he’s done it.” (Associated Press/September, 2017)

On Fitzpatrick’s psychological makeup:

“Does he think about football the way I would like a player to think about football? Absolutely, because he’s not a guy who’s trying to memorize what he does,” Saban said. “We like, I like, conceptual learners. Guys that understand the concept of what you’re doing and then they can apply those concepts to things that happen.” (Associated Press/September, 2017)

On Fitzpatrick’s strengths off the field:

“He’s very conscientious, pays attention to detail, very disciplined, understands the importance of preparation. He’s not one of these guys that just thinks he can go out there and make plays without doing things the right way. He sets a great example in terms of his work ethic and how he practices and what he does every day. So there’s not a lot of things that you can say that Minkah doesn’t do exactly like you would want him to do as a coach and what you try to get all of your players to do.” (Montgomery Advertiser/January, 2018)

On Fitzpatrick contributing as a freshman:

“He played when he was a freshman, and has played in almost every game since he’s been here,” Saban said. “We had high expectations for what he would be able to accomplish and what he would be able to do here. I can’t say that we’re disappointed in any area. He’s probably exceeded those expectations because of the consistency that he’s been able to play with.” (Montgomery Advertiser/January, 2018)

On Fitzpatrick’s discipline, eye control and preparation:

“I think that he ends up making plays because of it,” Saban said. “I think some of our other guys, they want to make plays, but they have to understand there has to be attention to detail, you have to look at the right things, you have to put yourself in the right position, and then you’re going to give yourself the best opportunity to make plays.” (Anniston Star/October, 2016)

On why he gave Fitzpatrick multiple position responsibilities:

“He’s very versatile and he’s bright, he’s smart, he’s very conscientious, he works hard every day,” Saban said. “So if there’s anybody who can do it, I think he’s certainly the right kind of guy to do it. That may be how we end up this year.” (Decatur Daily/August, 2016)

On why he loves Fitzpatrick so much:

“Minkah does it as well as anybody I’ve ever coached, in terms of how he works every day, how he finishes plays, his conditioning level, just phenomenal,” Saban said. “Pays attention to detail. It’s important to him. Makes sure he knows what to do.” (Anniston Star/August, 2017)

On the example Fitzpatrick set at Alabama:

“A lot of players that are good players I’ve heard them say, ‘I’m saving it for the game.’ Every one of those players, and all those teams that I’ve been on that the players say that, none of them are worth a s—,” Saban said. “He doesn’t do that. I hope we have more and more players who work like him, because when you have players that do that, you usually have a pretty good team. He sets a great example.” (Anniston Star/August, 2017)

From this article: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/2018/05/07...ah-fitzpatrick/

C
Legend
Legend
C
Who is Palm Beach Post?

C
Legend
Legend
C
j/c:

I have been wondering about what is going on in Jax for awhile. On the surface, it seems like they are tanking and shipping out good players.

On the other hand, I wonder if that locker room was toxic. I know there have been rumors about guys like Fournette and Ramsey's character issues. Ngakoue was being difficult. Wonder if Harrison was an issue, too....especially considering they replaced him w/a dude I never heard of.

Most of this is pure speculation, but I do wonder if Jax felt the need to cleanse the locker room of the players that were creating a toxic environment. It wasn't all that long ago that they had a late lead against NE in the AFC championship game.

Calais Campbell, known locker room cancer.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Anyway, Harrison is a SS, or at least that is what he played in Jax. We signed Joseph in the off-season to play SS.

I get the multiple safety look in this defense, but wouldn't it make more sense to address the FS spot, or do you guys think that Sendejo [had to look up the spelling] is the answer?

I think strong safeties are a dime a dozen. Easiest position on the field to fill.

Once again, not impressed by this move. I am not saying it's bad because it was for a 5th, but I don't see how it helps much.

I mentioned this on another thread, but Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is a FS and he might make sense for us, but this trade might hinder that potential signing.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
I feel this is a good sign, Stefanski was DB and Our D Coordinator is a former DB, earlier in the year Joe Woods talked about having 6 DB's on the field as a preferred formation.Harrison can come downhill and do some damage. I think our style will force QB's like L Jackson to make quick decisions or run for a minimal gain. I am totally behind a defense that looks different but confuses offenses. Be a Leader NOT a follower, I hope our style is as confounding as the way Baltimore ran their offense style last year. GO BROWNS

Pdawg Online OP
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Redwine is a FS. Maybe they like what they see in him as a backup to Sendejo. If memory serves Sendejo is more of a cross between FS/SS but has real good coverage grades. Redwine is more of a pure FS.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I hope you are right, but my prediction is that FS and coverage from the LBers/safeties this year will be a problem. I make some of these predictions each year and they are usually mocked, but the results typically are proven to be correct.

However, if I am wrong.........I will own it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We would be wise to take a look at Ha Ha but we would be his fifth team in two years. Guys that bounce around that much are rarely difference makers.

Harrison is a safety in name only. He will likely exclusively line up in the box and cover better than any of our linebackers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyway, Harrison is a SS, or at least that is what he played in Jax. We signed Joseph in the off-season to play SS.

I get the multiple safety look in this defense, but wouldn't it make more sense to address the FS spot, or do you guys think that Sendejo [had to look up the spelling] is the answer?

I think strong safeties are a dime a dozen. Easiest position on the field to fill.

Once again, not impressed by this move. I am not saying it's bad because it was for a 5th, but I don't see how it helps much.

I mentioned this on another thread, but Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is a FS and he might make sense for us, but this trade might hinder that potential signing.

I just read on Twitter that said that he played 31% of his snaps last year in the box and 48% of his snaps at FS. The post said according to PFF, and i'm not a subscriber, so i can't verify.

Anyway, maybe he's versatile. That's what i think we're looking for.

Not a guy to replace Sandejo necessarily, but someone to put in this big Nickel package

Honestly, i don't know much about the guy. But national football people seem to like him. I'll be interested to see what he can do. But if all it costs is a 2021 5th rounder (and i think the 2021 draft could be a really crapshoot), to get a guy who was good enough to start a substantial amount of games somewhere else, for cheap, i'm not gonna be upset.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
J/C

Unless he improves quite a bit, the idea of starting/relying on Redwine is a bit scary

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/C

Unless he improves quite a bit, the idea of starting/relying on Redwine is a bit scary

I've read numerous times that the Browns really like him...not every-down-starter kind of like...but he's in the mix and part of the solution. Also read that he is purely a FS but likes to hit.

We had (3) legit safeties after Delpit's injury...now we have (4)...I won't be surprised if we pick up a (5th).

Legend
Legend
I haven't really paid attention to the Jag's.. what's up with them? Looks like they want to dismantle that team.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I have heard the same thing and I saw some flashes from Redwine last year.

Legend
Legend
Of course he was a rookie and we weren’t good last year, but I can’t get the visions of his DPI And getting toasted out of my head (IIRC against Pittsburgh)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
He also had spots of horrendous (not unlike just about everyone else on the team) during that final game in Cincy.

Someone correct where I'm wrong (not if... :-p )...

1. We will generally set up our secondary with a set FS and set SS (and then arrange per the specific situations... additional hybrid safety, whatever).

2. We don't have an established starter at the FS position as of now (our guy last year was the talented headcase who's name escapes me).

3. The FS position, not unlike the QB position, is one that if you have multiple guys vying for the top spot, the reality is that you really don't have anyone.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Given that it is September and the Browns lost Delpit for the year.

And the current roster at safety Joseph, Sedejo, and Redwine. There was nobody but FA as depth.

Joseph and Sedejo both SS veteran players with injury history. Redwine is starting his second year.

Harrison is 23. He has been a starter. He played for Saban.

We gave up a fifth.

If Harrison is just depth he is worth it.

He may be a good player?

I don't see how this hurts.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I haven't really paid attention to the Jag's.. what's up with them? Looks like they want to dismantle that team.

Warning !! Conspiracy Theory.

There has been rumors that the team would move out of Jax for years. But they are in a lease until 2030, and would have to pay a large sum to break the lease.

But there is a clause that is the team has 2 years in the red, that the amount to buyout the lease is cut to 40% of the current value.

They most likely will have a season in the red this year. So are they making a play to break the lease?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're thinking of Randall. You know, I've thought about him, because he played great in 2018, but was a liability last year. I feel like Gregg Williams, for some of his flaws, held a pretty disciplined grip the defense and on the team as a whole when he took over as coach. Randall seems like one of those guys who just needed a lot of discipline and structure or else he became a liability, like he did last year.

The counter point to that is McCarthy and Pettine ran a disciplined operation in Green Bay, but I feel like they played him out of position.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Randall just got cut by the Faiders so he’s now an option also .. *L* ...

DAMARIOUS RANDALL
DB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Raiders released S Damarious Randall.

Signed in April, Randall was guaranteed $1.5 million from the Raiders despite failing to make it through camp. A former first-rounder who totaled 61 tackles and a career-high 2.5 sacks in his final year with the Browns, Randall is still likely to sign elsewhere as a potential starter before the weekend comes to a close. The 28-year-old has 14 interceptions across five seasons.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Sep 4, 2020, 11:17 AM ET

O
Legend
Legend
O
You're correct. Thank you for remembering the name.

And I believe you're correct about his position at GB. He was forced to play corner due to the presence of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Speaking of which, both are now available. If given the choice, who would you go for?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
You're correct. Thank you for remembering the name.

And I believe you're correct about his position at GB. He was forced to play corner due to the presence of Ha-Ha Clinton Dix.

Speaking of which, both are now available. If given the choice, who would you go for?

Randall and it’s not close. Ha Ha would be on his fifth team in two years.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I mean... Randall isn't far behind, in that regard.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O

Someone correct where I'm wrong (not if... :-p )...

1. We will generally set up our secondary with a set FS and set SS (and then arrange per the specific situations... additional hybrid safety, whatever).

2. We don't have an established starter at the FS position as of now (our guy last year was the talented headcase who's name escapes me).

3. The FS position, not unlike the QB position, is one that if you have multiple guys vying for the top spot, the reality is that you really don't have anyone.

I want to re-post this so I, myself can gain some clarity on questions I have about our defense and our personnel. Not even trying to spur conversation, just gain understanding for myself.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I mean... Randall isn't far behind, in that regard.

Two if he signed back with us.

Getting cut when you have guaranteed money on your deal that you just signed is not a great sign for either player.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Did the raiders sign Randall to play cb?

Legend
Legend
Seems like a decent flyer on a young player with what amounts to being a throwaway pick, especially in the coming Draft.

What he was and what he did before this means squat... dude either works now or we can toss him aside.
I would definitely be on the phone to Randall's agent, too. A one year deal might not be bad thing for both parties.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Randall, 28, came to the Raiders in the second wave of free agency, on April 7, and was expected to start at safety opposite second-year player Johnathan Abram. But a logjam at the position made Randall expendable.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2981...-15m-guaranteed

C
Legend
Legend
C
Everything with Randall depends on how bad he burnt the bridges when he left. Most of the coaching staff is gone so many of the sour feelings toward him might be gone too. Some players may not like that he went AWOL.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I'd loooooove to bring Randall back. He was one of my favorite players when he was here.

We could probably get him pretty cheap, too.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
O
Legend
Legend
O
I see what you posted, but I distinctly remember him going to be a CB and get that paycheck. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remembered correctly.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raider...-pact-dissolves

Hmmm... sounds like there was some uncertainty regarding what he was reportedly going to play at Raiders. He was picked up due to the deal with (CB) Apple falling through. Maybe bad assumption (I'll let you fill in the pronunciation there) given the timeline from Apple to Randall.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
It is well-known that Saban loved Fitz like a son. People used to even joke about it because it was so over the top. Hell, we posted articles about it when he was in the draft and when he was traded to Pit.

Also, Fitz was drafted in the first round and fetched a first round pick in a trade and this dude was drafted in the 3rd and was traded for a 5th.

I heard a report 2 separate times that the Browns traded for Jax safety Ronnie Harrison, a 2021 first round pick.
So if it's a first, that stinks.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm glad Cleveland.com is mentioning a 5th.

Local radio, Columbus radio, WTVN has mentioned the Browns traded for Ronnie Harrision, Safety from the Jaguars for a 2021 first round pick,

Every half hour, three times now including once since I typed my last response.
They must be in error, the internet is saying a 5th.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade for safety Ronnie Harrison

Link Copied to Clipboard