Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
When winning, he is fine...

When losing, he is a vocal malcontent.

Would you please post some links that prove that Odell was a "vocal malcontent" when we were losing?

I think that claim is complete BS! I think that Odell has kept his mouth shut since he's been here and I also think a lot of other WRs would have been going off if they were in his situation and possessed even a fraction of his talent.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Would you please post some links that prove that Odell was a "vocal malcontent" when we were losing?

I think that claim is complete BS! I think that Odell has kept his mouth shut since he's been here and I also think a lot of other WRs would have been going off if they were in his situation and possessed even a fraction of his talent.

He is just parroting the talking heads of ESPN. He has no evidence. This is the same thing that they do when we lose a game.

All Odell talks about after a loss is winning and finding ways to help the team win.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Legend
Legend
T
You expect someone to post a link to what anyone could observe when they watched the broadcast, body language and mannerisms, in game 1,
I had moved on from this, but whoever it was you are asking a link from reminded me,
they actually made a point.

Nobody needs to post a link, it's observable.

I think Odell is playing like he wants to be on the team by what we can see on the broadcast, smiling, celebrating,

He had his best game we should be happy.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hi Throw. He clearly said "vocal malcontent." Put the drugs away and read what was said.

1st String
1st String
Just how many times will this be on the thread? Well for now he is not going anywhere. But despite being a Prima Donna, when it counts he does come through.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
Legend
Prima donna aside (if you can do that for a moment - harder in some cases than for others), I feel good about the game performance trend. He looked bad and played worse against the Rats. He has looked much better last two games. Acted better and less miserable too.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Rumors are ESPN and other talking heads do line up to throw the worst light on Browns, players and team. Piling on. Not that they have any room to talk as screaming suits. Ginned up artificial controversy as they explain their "take" like it is factual. Actually quite fatuous instead. Like shouting at each other makes the reasoning superior. I think he is trending to improvement as we win. Others deserve more criticism more, but I also hope he elevates even more, and is well.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
You know I'm NOT one of the people that wants to throw OBJ under the bus because he's not a choir boy. But what he's saying (the way he's saying it) here isn't inaccurate or misleading. You saw the clips last year of OBJ not going to the huddle and not running his route when he knew the ball wasn't coming to him.

Maybe malcontent isn't the right word (maybe), but the bad behavior does flow out of him when things aren't going well. It is definitely blown out or proportion, and teammates do say he's a good dude in the locker room, but there are also examples of him mentally checking out of games.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Legend
Legend
F
I don't know about being a vocal malcontent.

He can, and is, often very visibly upset when things are not going well, as I expect most any competitive player to be. This does not mean he is a malcontent.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
V
Legend
Legend
V
When I hear the words "vocal malcontent," they mean that the guy is complaining in the practice facility and in the media. Those kind of guys can do a lot of damage. I have not seen OBJ complaining in the media even when things were really bad here last year. He certainly did not call people out like Stephon Diggs did last year in Minnesota.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Bard, I have been listening to a lot of guys on ESPN talk about the Browns. Most of their comments are positive and it seems that most are really hoping the Browns do well. I think a lot of people view us the way people used to see the Cubs.

O
Legend
Legend
O
OBJ did (undeservedly, IMO) get himself a reputation along the lines of what we're talking about here. He does do some weird stuff when things aren't going well... but to your point, I don't think it rises to the level of damaging (like the example you gave). His behavior does leave a lot to be desired at times, but I do think it's blown out of proportion.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
There was a sport's talk radio show host in NY by the name of Mike Francesa who despised [seemingly] OBJ. He got a lot of mileage trashing OBJ. Interestingly, he is the one who recently said the Browns were trying to trade OBJ. The Browns FO denied it.

OBJ did do some really dumb things like the fight w/Norman and the kicking net junk. However, his teammates at LSU, New York, and in Cleveland overwhelmingly like the guy. I just don't think that would be the case if he was a vocal malcontent .

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
OBJ is a very vocal, passionate guy. But I can't find anything of him trashing Eli Manning, or the Giants, or the Browns last year. This idea that he some kind of Terrell Owens 2.0 is ridicules. Everything I've ready from his former teammates is all positive, they seem to love the guy.

And Mike Francesa is a total NYC hack, who just tries to start crap, so people will listen to his crappy radio show. He use to do college basketball on CBS, and that was the worst.

bonefish #1806048 10/16/20 09:19 AM
Legend
Legend
Let's be real, the media twists and turns everything and creates all these "personas", they don't really exist in real life anyway. Just last year, the media did its best to tag Myles as "big angry black man".

If I were to tag Odell's past "indiscretions", it would be mostly immature. Imagine that -- Twenty-three year old with good looks and millions (not to mention a HOF trajectory) in the Big Apple and enjoying the face-time.

That's where the stalking of Odell began. Once you are a regular fixture, they don't want you out of the picture because you put food on the table.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
bonefish #1806104 10/16/20 12:03 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I don't want players who appear happy or content when we lose. I want to see they are visibly upset when the team is failing. I don't want guys here who go to the press complaining about their coaches or team mates.

OBJ works fine for me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Others have answered, sidelines mannerism show that he wears his emotions on his sleeve. There is nothing wrong about this at all, let's just say that his demeanor was not the same as Eli Manning.

When your losing it is more obvious. Some would call that "having a passion for the game"

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Free Odell?

O
Legend
Legend
O
We need to have a rule banning posting SAS videos on here.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
He definitely said those things in the video, but pulling out those parts makes Trotter look like he has an axe to grind.

98% of that blurb with OBJ was him talking about/explaining his behavior on the sideline. Trotter didn't even pick out the actual bits of news. OBJ has a "turf toe issue" and was taken out of the Pitt game (hence the shoes off).

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Nothing but a loud mouth who might have a direct line to some malcontent.

The melt down begins...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'd rather ban Jake Trotter tweets if he is going to skip important parts of the video and only provide the text that makes OBJ look bad.

No mention of the toe injury. No mention of the coach taking him out. No mention of him wanting to compete until the end whether they are winning or losing by 50 points, etc, etc.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And mac bit on it like cheap fishing bait.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: mac
Nothing but a loud mouth who might have a direct line to some malcontent.

The melt down begins...

Did you bother watching the actual video or did you just buy into what Trotter was selling you?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Fair trade, imo. :-p

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey oober, I get that SAS is loud and he puts on a show, but some fair points were made, especially by Ryan Clarke and Max Kellerman. Even SAS had a fair point or two. I will admit most of it was just for show.

I do feel that we are wasting his talents. I feel our entire offense is being wasted. We have the talent to win now at most positions and it kind of sucks that we probably aren't going to able to fully take advantage of OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, Hooper, and a very good OL.

Sooner or later, something is going to give because guys will probably get frustrated.

bonefish #1808085 10/21/20 01:38 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C

But but but

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I was initially perturbed that he was walking around with his cleats off...then I got to thinking about some young soccer players that I watch on my son's team(s) - 25+ year olds and a rec league of mostly former high school varsity players.

Anyway, these guys cannot get their cleats off fast enough after they are done playing. The rubber from the turf gets in their shoes and the shoes they wear are usually fairly tight to help with quick movements. These are amateurs...some really good athletes...but none of them are at an OBL level.

I'm very critical of OBJ, but I have enough sense to wait and see what transpires before jumping off the cliff. His interview above was about three times longer than it needed to be...coach took him out for the day, toe is banged up and I want to win really badly. That's my takeaway...glad he talked about it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah - I am still disappointed he didn't know the playbook last year. There isn't an excuse for that. But OBJ has a lot of credit in the bank for his attitude and behavior while as a Brown. Whether you want to blame Freddie or Baker or both for what a cluster that was last year, OBJ didn't create controversy. No idea what condition his toe is in - but this one outburst at the end of an real ass whopping is not going to make me criticize him.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Hey oober, I get that SAS is loud and he puts on a show, but some fair points were made, especially by Ryan Clarke and Max Kellerman. Even SAS had a fair point or two. I will admit most of it was just for show.

I do feel that we are wasting his talents. I feel our entire offense is being wasted. We have the talent to win now at most positions and it kind of sucks that we probably aren't going to able to fully take advantage of OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt, Hooper, and a very good OL.

Sooner or later, something is going to give because guys will probably get frustrated.

Not only that but you saw how our D reacted after the pick, they just gave up.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If Odell is any Good?

He ought to catch the Ball more than 6 times, or even 6 times on the day,

Way more often than he does.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
It would have been hard to have 6 catches last week since he was only targeted 3 times.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It would have been hard to have 6 catches last week since he was only targeted 3 times.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It seems like Baker is a different player with and without Beckham on the field.

No OBJ - lion
With OBJ - kitten.

I really think Baker is intimidated by Beckham

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
bonefish #1809985 10/25/20 04:51 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Can't believe I forgot to mention Hollywood he is awesome and he and Baker are good together thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Jester
It seems like Baker is a different player with and without Beckham on the field.

No OBJ - lion
With OBJ - kitten.

Yes that must be it... LoL

Last edited by rastanplan; 10/25/20 04:53 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Jester

No OBJ - lion
With OBJ - kitten.

I don't think intimidated, but OB may be in his head, or the coaching staffs head.

I don't think OB plays to Bakers strength. Baker is strong with quick hitters. I am not talking dink and dunk stuff, just not deep stuff.

If I was Berry I might hit the phones and seek to trade OBJ. He is a great talent, but he needs a certain type of QB, and Baker isn't that type of QB.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
hope he is ok

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
hope he is ok

I just read a bit on Cleveland.com saying we fear it is serious and he may be out the rest of the season.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Odell

Link Copied to Clipboard