Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
mac #1807614 10/19/20 04:17 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sadly, as is often your M.O., I said none of those things. I'm simply looking at something he hasn't thus far managed to do well if hardly at all. It seems you're the one with the issue here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Renner: It's time to panic about Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield
By Michael Renner
Oct 19, 2020

For the last year and a half, I’ve repeated one question almost instinctively when asked about Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield: “Who at the quarterback position peaked in their first year?”

Outside of injury-addled quarterbacks like Robert Griffin III, you’d be hard-pressed to find many more examples. But after a year and a half of not only not progressing but also regressing in key aspects of the position, it’s time to add Mayfield as an answer to that question.

While Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski insisted that Mayfield’s benching Sunday was purely for health reasons after the quarterback entered the game with a chest injury, that same injury can’t be used as an excuse for his disastrous performance. That’s because — as we’ve seen all season — Mayfield’s issues extend far beyond getting the ball from Point A to Point B (and even that hasn’t been a given).

In the words of PFF’s Seth Galina, a former quarterback coach in his own right, “the confident quarterback we saw in 2018 no longer exists.”

This is evident in a number of different ways. It’s in his shaky pocket presence where he went from being charged only 15 pressures as a rookie to 32 last season and is now on pace for even more than that this year. You can also see it in him holding the ball more, with his average time to throw climbing from 2.66 seconds as a rookie to 2.74 in 2019 to 3.08 in 2020. However, nothing exemplifies his waning confidence more than his performance down the field on traditional dropback passes. If you take away play action, here are Mayfield’s stats in each year of his career on passes thrown 10 or more yards downfield.

While it’s a small fraction of his total number of dropbacks, it’s almost wholly indicative of his decline. He’s not only been erring more on those throws, but he’s also not even finding those opportunities as frequently.

The last row in the table above is far and away the most concerning. His 144 10-plus-yard pass attempts as a rookie were the fifth-most in the NFL — and he didn’t even start the whole season. That number was the same as Patrick Mahomes, and the quarterbacks ahead of him were Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck and Philip Rivers. And that's one of the many reasons why he impressed as a rookie — being able to find opportunities down the field is a tenet of quality quarterback play.

As Galina so eloquently said, though, that guy is gone. His 35 such attempts this season ranks 21st in the NFL. Of quarterbacks who have played six games already this season, only Jared Goff has fewer.

Rarely do you do any significant damage when you drastically trail in games or when you are in end-of-half situations. The needle also doesn't move all that much when you run RPO, play-action and screen passes. You have to be able to attack downfield on dropback concepts, and Mayfield has been nothing short of a liability when asked to do so.

https://twitter.com/RotoStJournal/status/1315417917652172800

So what’s the “fix” for the former No. 1 overall pick? The answer to that would be better answered by Mayfield, Stefanski or a sports psychologist. However, it doesn’t take the latter to realize that the problem with Mayfield's play over the last year and a half is just as mental as it is physical.

While the Browns' four-game winning streak masked Mayfield’s 66.3 passing grade over that span, it’s impossible to mask where Mayfield has struggled when the Browns have to play catchup. If that doesn’t change soon, the Browns can’t be considered serious contenders in the AFC.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-its-time-to-panic-about-cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
J/c

Baker’s play yesterday was very sobering. He still gets the season (unless he has a complete meltdown game against a bad opponent) but based on the sample size growing larger it’s becoming clearer that, while he can still improve, he is proving to be limited in key areas that will hold the team back.

I still think he’s the best Browns QB to do it over 2+ seasons since 99 but he is not improving in his defense recognition or ability to get through progressions. He displays happy feet in the pocket.

He can become a decent QB. But that’s not the standard we’re looking for.

Ammo #1807634 10/19/20 07:00 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I wonder what Kevin Stefanski thinks of Josh Rosen one of the other 5 QB's taken in 1st round of the "18 draft?

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
This thread has got me doing the “Well, if Baker isn’t the answer, what do the Browns do?” . Which does not make me happy.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well, Tyrod Taylor should be available next year willynilly

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I’ve been perusing the mock draft boards, sad to say.
Next will be free agents.

Ammo #1807643 10/19/20 07:41 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Ammo. Long time, no see. Hope all is well w/you.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
And the 2021 free agent class for QBs is underwhelming.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This is for those of you who like to analyze the game. I think teams might start blitzing the hell out of Baker. There are stats out there that tell how QBs fare against the blitz. Guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, Josh Allen, Fitz, etc have put up good numbers vs the blitz this year. The key is to recognize it pre-snap and then check to a quick pass that exploits the vacated area where the blitz originated from.

I tried to find all the rankings, but could not find them. Maybe someone will post the complete league rankings vs the blitz. I have a feeling Baker's rating isn't very good vs the blitz this year. After yesterday's game, I wonder if teams will try and blitz Baker a lot and force him into mistakes and sacks?

It's probably something to watch for.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
This is for those of you who like to analyze the game. I think teams might start blitzing the hell out of Baker. There are stats out there that tell how QBs fare against the blitz. Guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, Josh Allen, Fitz, etc have put up good numbers vs the blitz this year. The key is to recognize it pre-snap and then check to a quick pass that exploits the vacated area where the blitz originated from.

I tried to find all the rankings, but could not find them. Maybe someone will post the complete league rankings vs the blitz. I have a feeling Baker's rating isn't very good vs the blitz this year. After yesterday's game, I wonder if teams will try and blitz Baker a lot and force him into mistakes and sacks?

It's probably something to watch for.

Run blitzes to start, then outside blitzes. Take the run away and jam up the middle to block his vision, get their arms up, and let the ends do their damage. That’s how I would do it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I wonder what Kevin Stefanski thinks of Josh Rosen one of the other 5 QB's taken in 1st round of the "18 draft?

I liked Rosen in college, but he has sucked as a pro. I don't consider him a viable option.

It's just so hard to evaluate collegiate qbs anymore. Two different games.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well, Blake Bortles is big and has a good arm. Didn't he have a good season or 2? confused Sad because we now have the talent on O and good coaching.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/19/20 09:04 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, but he stinks, too. I am okay w/him as a backup.

We gotta stick w/Baker and hope he gets it together.

What will be interesting is to see how the FO handles his upcoming contract situation.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. We really have no other viable option at this point. Last year ruined him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think last year ruined him. I think he has holes in his game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think last year ruined him. I think he has holes in his game.

Baker needs confidence to be good. I think his confidence helped overcome some holes.

Something ruined his confidence. And now he is so far removed from rookie Baker it makes you wonder if he'll ever make it back.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think what ruined him is that he realized he could not trust his eyes.

R
Legend
Legend
R
You might be right.

So depressing.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nah........Doesn't have the arm.

We gotta hope Baker starts ballin'

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

Baker is fine.

People need to realize this loss is a team loss, from the coaches on down.

You cant lay it on any one person and crucify them.

Baker isnt perfect, but he is learning and growing.

No Craps Given
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Is he though?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Give the kid time. Its his fourth offense in three seasons. San Diego wrote off drew brees as a bust and we all know how big of a mistake that was. Here is a LINK comparing bakers first three seasons to both brees and farve.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...2625945/?page=1

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: slick
Give the kid time. Its his fourth offense in three seasons. San Diego wrote off drew brees as a bust and we all know how big of a mistake that was. Here is a LINK comparing bakers first three seasons to both brees and farve.

The Chargers did not give up on Brees.

Stop comparing Baker’s stats to QBs from 30 years ago. The NFL is totally different.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: slick

The Chargers did not give up on Brees.

Stop comparing Baker’s stats to QBs from 30 years ago. The NFL is totally different.

Lol brees is still playing, and farve retired 10 years ago both have been through the changes in the nfl. Nice try though. Im assuming after looking at how similar the stats were you had no argument so instead you say stop comparing him to qbs from 30 years ago even though brees hasnt been in the nfl 30 years and is still playing lol.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
C
Legend
Legend
C
No.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Renner: It's time to panic about Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield
By Michael Renner
Oct 19, 2020

For the last year and a half, I’ve repeated one question almost instinctively when asked about Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield: “Who at the quarterback position peaked in their first year?”

Outside of injury-addled quarterbacks like Robert Griffin III, you’d be hard-pressed to find many more examples. But after a year and a half of not only not progressing but also regressing in key aspects of the position, it’s time to add Mayfield as an answer to that question.

While Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski insisted that Mayfield’s benching Sunday was purely for health reasons after the quarterback entered the game with a chest injury, that same injury can’t be used as an excuse for his disastrous performance. That’s because — as we’ve seen all season — Mayfield’s issues extend far beyond getting the ball from Point A to Point B (and even that hasn’t been a given).

In the words of PFF’s Seth Galina, a former quarterback coach in his own right, “the confident quarterback we saw in 2018 no longer exists.”

This is evident in a number of different ways. It’s in his shaky pocket presence where he went from being charged only 15 pressures as a rookie to 32 last season and is now on pace for even more than that this year. You can also see it in him holding the ball more, with his average time to throw climbing from 2.66 seconds as a rookie to 2.74 in 2019 to 3.08 in 2020. However, nothing exemplifies his waning confidence more than his performance down the field on traditional dropback passes. If you take away play action, here are Mayfield’s stats in each year of his career on passes thrown 10 or more yards downfield.

While it’s a small fraction of his total number of dropbacks, it’s almost wholly indicative of his decline. He’s not only been erring more on those throws, but he’s also not even finding those opportunities as frequently.

The last row in the table above is far and away the most concerning. His 144 10-plus-yard pass attempts as a rookie were the fifth-most in the NFL — and he didn’t even start the whole season. That number was the same as Patrick Mahomes, and the quarterbacks ahead of him were Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck and Philip Rivers. And that's one of the many reasons why he impressed as a rookie — being able to find opportunities down the field is a tenet of quality quarterback play.

As Galina so eloquently said, though, that guy is gone. His 35 such attempts this season ranks 21st in the NFL. Of quarterbacks who have played six games already this season, only Jared Goff has fewer.

Rarely do you do any significant damage when you drastically trail in games or when you are in end-of-half situations. The needle also doesn't move all that much when you run RPO, play-action and screen passes. You have to be able to attack downfield on dropback concepts, and Mayfield has been nothing short of a liability when asked to do so.

https://twitter.com/RotoStJournal/status/1315417917652172800

So what’s the “fix” for the former No. 1 overall pick? The answer to that would be better answered by Mayfield, Stefanski or a sports psychologist. However, it doesn’t take the latter to realize that the problem with Mayfield's play over the last year and a half is just as mental as it is physical.

While the Browns' four-game winning streak masked Mayfield’s 66.3 passing grade over that span, it’s impossible to mask where Mayfield has struggled when the Browns have to play catchup. If that doesn’t change soon, the Browns can’t be considered serious contenders in the AFC.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-its-time-to-panic-about-cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield

Boy, talk about parsing the stats to make a point.... this clown deserves to be in politics. 😕

Yeah, and the fool was too lazy to update the titles for 2020, or maybe he did and the numbers were not as bad.

Last edited by ChargerDawg; 10/20/20 12:34 AM.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

Baker is fine.

People need to realize this loss is a team loss, from the coaches on down.

You cant lay it on any one person and crucify them.

Agreed. In the pre-game thread I said I thought one of the keys to the game was Baker was going to have to make some throws early which he wasn't successful at. But I didn't expect he would have had to compensate for how much the O Line was getting beat up or Hunt not running how we know Hunt can run. Stefanski's offense travelled at one speed. I appreciate that he didn't go one dimensional so soon but I would love to have seen at 10-0 an up tempo, quick hit series or two.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

--How does anyone explain the videos that have been provided that clearly show Baker is not seeing the field?

--We are not in our 4th offense. Gregg Williams did not have an offense.

--I don't think anyone is putting the entire blame for the loss on Baker. It was a team loss.

--The Drew Brees comparisons are illogical. Their skill sets are completely different.

--Some QBs destroy the blitz because they see it coming and check into a play that exploits the vacated area. Does Baker ever do this?

Legend
Legend

At the end of the day you are what your record says you are.

16-19.

Baker will play this year.

If at the end of the year Berry and KS don't see a future with Baker and the Browns then they will have to go in another direction.

I hope that is not the case.

Getting back into the quarterback line is not something I am looking forward too.

However, if the results dictate the move:
So be it.

Legend
Legend
Your last point is one that I thought about during the game last Sunday .. if blitzes always were effective, every DC would use them every play. But they’re a gamble ... they can backfire severely.

HOWEVER, that’s only with QBs who can exploit them and sit in the pocket decisively.

It’s like pressing in basketball ... it can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Baker literally never beats the blitz. He panics and can’t make his reads, whether that’s due to his height or lack of awareness or whatever.

His deficiencies are alarming.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
In that draft, I first fell in love with Josh Allen when he threw a ball 80 yards. Everyone said he was inaccurate and that could not be fixed. People said Rosen was the most “pro ready.” Darnold had huge upside, but was young. Lamar Jackson was an afterthought. By draft day, I was all in on Baker for his moxie and leadership.
How can it be that guys like Gardner Minshew are so much better than the overall No. 1? And how is it that the Ravens always nail the draft and we always blow it?

Legend
Legend

Is he though?

Ask again in January.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Tua got named the starter for the Dolphins, maybe we can trade for Fitzpatrick to upgrade the QB position. . .

O
Legend
Legend
O
Has Fitzpatrick ever held on as a starter for a whole year?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Has Fitzpatrick ever held on as a starter for a whole year?

Yes.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Baker is now ranked 31st on PFF's rankings. He is ahead of only Jeff Driskel, Nick Mullens, Drew Lock, D'Wayne Haskins, and Joe Flacco.

He is ranked 17th according to ESPN's QBR.

Fitz is ranked 16th by PFF and is 7th according to ESPN's QBR.

I was surprised Miami made the switch to Tua. Fitz has been playing well and is doing very well against the blitz. The team has won 2 straight and are in a weak division. I imagine the performance of Herbert w/the Chargers might have had something to do w/it.

I am not suggesting we trade for Fitz even though I think he would give us a better chance to win this year. His teammates absolutely love the guy. Always have. I also don't think Miami would trade him. He is a team-first guy who will help Tua. I saw him cheering like crazy for Tua when the latter completed a pass last Sunday. I also think the Dolphins would want Fitz around given Tua's injury history.

M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I think it's perfectly rational and reasonable to say that Baker:

[1] clearly has issues reading the D pre-snap when the D tries to confuse him - that he needs to continue to show and speed up going thru progressions when his 1st option is covered - needs to continue to get better at moving the safeties with his eyes - continue the pocket awareness and stop leaving clean pockets

[2] At the same time, also say that against Pit/Ravens, he wasn't given a chance to succeed because the whole team was totally overmatched. Personally I think there are few QB's that would have had success and none would have got the win - just look at Rogers when he was also put under similar pressure. AND - Acknowledge he's not been put into a stable situation to succeed AND he's not been coached in a stable environment give him a chance to reach his full potential.

He's shown flashes of elite arm talent. He's shown consistent flaws. I'm not yet prepared to anoint him a bust and I am not going to say all his issues are coachable - there is a certain amount of innate mental ability to process the game and read what's happening. What we don't know is with a consistent environment and team around him, what is his ceiling regards the mental aspect of the game?

I mentioned elsewhere - the NFL has seen the blueprint on how to beat Baker with pressure and disguised coverages .... we should get ample opportunity to see if he can get better because every defense we face should be doing both things to the best of their ability for the remainder of the year.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Tua got named the starter for the Dolphins, maybe we can trade for Fitzpatrick to upgrade the QB position. . .

This would depend heavily on your viewpoint on Fitzpatrick and Baker - I'd argue that Fitzpatrick has a known ceiling and he is no franchise QB. Franchise QB's don't get traded for 1.

I think Baker's ceiling and ability to be a franchise QB are in question but not yet conclusive.

I'd see absolutely zero value in making that trade regardless if today you think Fitz is a better QB than Baker.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Comparisons

Link Copied to Clipboard