Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I'm not speaking for anyone besides myself, but I'll just say this. When people talk about Baker putting the team on his back, the first thing I think of is, "where was all that the week prior?"

It's probably not fair, but I put an he-couldn't-do-that-against-a-good-team type of asterisk next to his Cinci comeback performance.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am gong to quote my comments about Baker right after I signed on on Sunday. This was my first post of the evening. I think my comments were fair. I did praise Baker for coming through in the clutch and making tough throws on the game-winning drive. I certainly think my post is more about Baker and Pure Football than posts that talk about an individual not wanting me to teach their child or how I have an agenda because I post stats and game-tape.

Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Baker has a good day. The biggest thing for me was that he came through in the clutch. He made some tough throws on that last drive to win the game. A little over a minute left and no timeouts. He got it done. Impressive!

He started off bad. He was 0 for 5 w/a pick. Stefanski called about 3 or 4 plays where he flipped it forward to WRs behind the LOS. Those "completions" started the streak.

I think one of the biggest keys is that he didn't receive hardly any pressure today. He was able to take advantage of the clean pocket to fire some real strikes. I think his best pass may have been the TD to Njoku.

Baker does have his best games against bad teams. He is going to have to put some good games together against good teams, but this is a start.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I'm not speaking for anyone besides myself, but I'll just say this. When people talk about Baker putting the team on his back, the first thing I think of is, "where was all that the week prior?"

It's probably not fair, but I put an he-couldn't-do-that-against-a-good-team type of asterisk next to his Cinci comeback performance.

Somewhat understandable, BUT... he still did it, against an NFL team.

22 straight completions and 5 TDs while throwing into tight windows is still what it is: pretty damn impressive.

Yeah, it'd be great if he did it against Pittsburgh, but it'd also have been great to see other units on the team function, too. One person can only do so much.... if 21 of the players we're putting on the field aren't getting it done, the one isn't going to be able to do anything. Nobody does it all by themselves. Ever.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I totally agree. I’m just saying that the people who are saying this aren’t the Colin Cowherd’s of the world.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And I think, at least to this point, there is some validity to that. I also think that could be said about the entire team as well. In both the Baltimore and Pittsburgh game the entire team played terribly.

In the Cincy game our D still played terribly. What we did see however was people on the O were making plays.

We are certainly a work in progress. What we are seeing is not a finished product by any stretch of the imagination. What I have been looking for is certainly something that people speak about often. There are two adages that come to mind. "Waiting for the light to come on" and "the games slows down for him".

It's simply an indication that your QB starts to see the field and process information quicker. Now this was only one game and certainly not against a great team. So whether that is what we actually saw or not is certainly up for debate.

But it's a start. It's something we haven't really seen over the last season and a half. So I think it's something we all hope is the beginning of what we will see in the future. And in fairness, when was the last time you've seen Baker perform this way against any team?

While we can look back at previous games. While we can look at the shortcomings we've seen in his game. Five straight drives ending in touchdowns wasn't s fluke. After five incompletions to start the game including an int, his performance after that does show he doesn't dwell on the last play.

I guess my point is that it has to start somewhere. And what he did the week before doesn't diminish what we saw in the Cincy game.

I don't expect anyone to keep up with my posts or opinion. But I'm neither on the Baker bandwagon nor am I one who dislikes Baker. I try to be objective and much like the HC does, I try to take it one game at a time. And in this case, in this game, I think Baker certainly deserves high praise for his performance.

It's a trend I think you would agree that we see continue.

Beating bad and average teams is something to build on. Everything starts somewhere.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Somewhat understandable, BUT... he still did it, against an NFL team.

22 straight completions and 5 TDs while throwing into tight windows is still what it is: pretty damn impressive.

I agree w/this take. Baker deserves a lot of credit for overcoming the poor start and balling for the rest of the game. I do think Stefanski helped him by getting him those easy completions, which were basically handoffs, to stop the bad plays and start the streak. All basketball players know that if you are in a slump, an easy lay-up or free throw might turn things around.

With that said, Baker made a ton of excellent throws. Loved the TD pass to Njoku. We don't win that game if Baker doesn't play well. The best thing I saw was that he got it done in the clutch. He made a lot of good throws when it mattered. I haven't seen him do that before. It's growth!

I don't think he put the team on his shoulders, much like I don't think he was the only reason we lost to Baltimore and Pittsburgh. One of Baker's biggest issues is that he struggles when he is facing pressure. His numbers under pressure are really bad. We saw what happened against Pittsburgh when he was pressured on 52 percent of his throws. On Sunday, the OL was unreal. Baker had a lot of time in clean pockets almost all game long. I will give Baker credit for making a tough throw over the middle when he was pressured quickly on that last drive. That was clutch. But, the OL deserves credit, too. So do the receivers. They were making really good catches.

We are going to have to wait and see how he does when a team gets pressure on him, but this game was a positive step in the right direction.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I understand what you're saying. I don't disagree with you at all. I explained what I did mostly to provide some context behind my hesitance to get too excited over Baker's Cinci game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I understand what you're saying. I don't disagree with you at all. I explained what I did mostly to provide some context behind my hesitance to get too excited over Baker's Cinci game.

I would say everyone is on board with that - as I mentioned, Cinci got no pressure on Baker. I think that might be the single biggest factor. Encouraging as it was the Cinci game was only one step in the process.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I agree w/this take. Baker deserves a lot of credit for overcoming the poor start and balling for the rest of the game. I do think Stefanski helped him by getting him those easy completions, which were basically handoffs, to stop the bad plays and start the streak. All basketball players know that if you are in a slump, an easy lay-up or free throw might turn things around.

I don't buy that one bit...if that is what gets Baker started, then shame on Ski for not starting the game with those easy completions.

With that said, Baker made a ton of excellent throws. Loved the TD pass to Njoku. We don't win that game if Baker doesn't play well. The best thing I saw was that he got it done in the clutch. He made a lot of good throws when it mattered. I haven't seen him do that before. It's growth!

Baker did those things in his very first game as a Brown...and has done it numerous times since that first game. What he needs to do, is do it with consistency...something the entire organization has lacked STR.

I don't think he put the team on his shoulders, much like I don't think he was the only reason we lost to Baltimore and Pittsburgh. One of Baker's biggest issues is that he struggles when he is facing pressure. His numbers under pressure are really bad. We saw what happened against Pittsburgh when he was pressured on 52 percent of his throws. On Sunday, the OL was unreal. Baker had a lot of time in clean pockets almost all game long. I will give Baker credit for making a tough throw over the middle when he was pressured quickly on that last drive. That was clutch. But, the OL deserves credit, too. So do the receivers. They were making really good catches.

We are going to have to wait and see how he does when a team gets pressure on him, but this game was a positive step in the right direction.

Every QB struggles when pressured...especially so when there is extreme pressure. Rodgers showed us that the week before last...and that guy is a total stud.

The Bengals were coming for him that last drive and almost got him on the first play...the game was on the line...the mental pressure had to be huge...and he put the team on his back and won the game. Good for him and good for us.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I agree w/this take. Baker deserves a lot of credit for overcoming the poor start and balling for the rest of the game. I do think Stefanski helped him by getting him those easy completions, which were basically handoffs, to stop the bad plays and start the streak.

Maybe Stefanski learned something about coaching ..!

Maybe Stefanski needs take notice about what is best for his QB and not worry so much about what is best for others on the offensive side of the ball.

Getting your QB into a rhythm might be the most important factor that Stefanski needed to learn about how to coach Mayfield, to get the best performance from him.

..whatever it takes!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not sure how Dan comes up with that? He seemed to play pretty well when Odell was out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Not sure how Dan comes up with that? He seemed to play pretty well when Odell was out.

That's what he is saying, peen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

he said Baker was way better

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B

That's what he is saying, peen.

OK...I didn't watch the vid. I just read the caption and the way it reads made me think he was saying Baker was confused, not knowing the play or not knowing where to throw the ball.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The way I see it, he's likely still thinking too much.

Against a rush like Cinci where our OLine had no trouble giving him time, his brain could process and function.
Against a defense like Pittsburgh where EVERYTHING and EVERYONE was hurried up because of the crazy pressure they were bringing, things simply aren't innate enough, yet, for him to be able to just act without thinking... and thinking will get you killed.

Browns is the Browns

All Pro
All Pro
Hi!

My first post and I’m almost 60 years old from Scandinavia so have patience with me.

I have faith in Baker. To survive he needs a good O-line to protect him and as it looks he will with time learn how to develop into a effective QB who can carry his team. Just give him love and support then further experience will take care of the rest.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Welcome to DT!

You’ll have fun here. Out of curiosity, how’d you become a Browns fans?

and what’s your screen name mean?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Welcome to the site!

Browns is the Browns

All Pro
All Pro
I decided to find myself a favorite NFL team in 2017.

My TV subscription offered me all NFL matches and I needed something new so I started to follow Total Access. At that time everything was about the NE Patriots and Cleveland Browns was at the bottom. Simple logic about who’s going to progress most together with nice orange colors and a cool name made it easy.

In the 2018 draft we had three first round picks so from that moment I was caught. Baker immediately made a good impression on me so from there I was a Brown supporter and Bake was my man. Now I watch Browns every week. I follow Quincy on YT. I dislike Colin Cowherd and I think Cynthia F on Total Access is quite hot. Something like that. In the future I will do my best to come to Cleveland and watch a home game. That’s one of my dreams after the Pandemic.

Floquinho is Portuguese and means a white snowflake. My wife is Brazilian and she named our first cat that name. So whenever something goes wrong I blame my poor cat.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Welcome!

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Welcome to the board! When you finally get a chance to come to a game make sure you let the board know. There’s a group of posters who tailgate (Party) before every game. I’m sure they would love to meet you!

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Floquinho is Portuguese and means a white snowflake. My wife is Brazilian and she named our first cat that name. So whenever something goes wrong I blame my poor cat.

That's hysterical in an awesome way!!! rofl thumbsup

Welcome to the board!!!

L
Legend
Legend
L
How would your user name be pronounced?

FLOCK-in-ho?

Flow-kin-ho?

Again I’m just curious, not poking fun.

By the way, if you’re into hockey - you very well could be, since you’re in Sweden - there’s a small group of us who gather in the Tailgate forum. FYI.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Hint: It's Portuguese. I would guess......

Flah-queen-ho.

L
Legend
Legend
L
LMAO!

I did not let that sink in, thought it was a Swedish word.

I’m not the sharpest rock in the field, either. wink

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.

One of my neighbors was a Brazilian model who married some rich guy who owns multiple car dealerships. I love listening to her talk. And, I don't mind looking at her while I listen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my stupid post won't delete

Last edited by superbowldogg; 10/27/20 09:34 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Last edited by superbowldogg; 10/27/20 09:30 PM.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
the stupid post won't delete

delete

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 10/27/20 09:34 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
doesn't work. LOL

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Flah-queen-ho.

You got me curious, lamp.

I just looked it up. I was close, but messed up the second syllable. It should be flah-keen-ho.

https://forvo.com/word/floquinho/#pt

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ya'll need to watch that video.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

Flah-queen-ho.

You got me curious, lamp.

I just looked it up. I was close, but messed up the second syllable. It should be flah-keen-ho.

https://forvo.com/word/floquinho/#pt

No emphasis on any syllable?

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Welcome to the board.

A few tips and pointers:

1, Definitely let us know when you are coming for a game. But also anytime you are coming to the US, even if Cleveland is not on the agenda. We have dawgtalkers spread throughout the county.

2, Avoid the political forum and political threads. You will be much happier if you stay away from those vile things.

3, Stay warm. I spent a New Year's eve in Stockholm a while back. Dang, was it cold.

4, Assuming that Swedish, Finnish or Norwegian is your first language. Remember that your English is probably better than a large number of people posting.

5, Have fun and enjoy yourself

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
All Pro
All Pro
Thanks to all of you!

I like this forum because of the good atmosphere and that so many discuss in a reasonable way. Off course I follow the NHL. We have several players from my area at the highest level, just recently Viktor Hedman from Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup.

Back to Baker.

I think it’s essential that Cleveland find some stability and build on what they have. With a ambitious and well educated front office, our new HC Stefanski and several quality player I hope that the Browns has a good platform to take the next step. A talented and intelligent guy like Baker should be part of that journey. It takes time to achieve long term success.

The W against the Bengals showed that Stefanski and Baker has what it takes to build a chemistry. Instead of taking the easy route and a field goal Baker opted for a high risk/high reward option. That’s bold and gave the whole franchise a little bit of swagger. You could argue that if he had failed he had jeopardize his career as a potential franchise QB. Changing mindset from a loser mentality isn’t easy because not only one or two players need to have the right confidence, you need a self confident head coach and a fan base who wants to win more then they don’t wants to lose. That change of mindset needs a catalyst and Baker Mayfield has that special mentality that is absolutely crucial to overcome that fear.

So the question is if the owners and the fan base is willing to give Baker the time he needs because without experience it’s hard to reach full potential.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Did you click on the little arrow and listen to the pronounciation?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
j\c

J.Manzeil, Baker, enuff with these horrible first round experimental jokes get a real Q.B. for a change no matter what the cost or keep on being the the Steelers butt boys...Browns are a joke , lmao

Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Board. New Browns fans bring new life and enthusiasm.

Patience is probably not a virtue of many fans or the owner. Losing has cut a deep wound. Haslam has run the organization like a microwave cook.

Kevin Stefanski and Andrew Berry will be challenged to climb a vertical cliff covered in ice.

Until the Browns actually have continuity at the top; potential is just a dirty word.

Baker is in his third year. And this year is extremely important because of his contract. He has been inconsistent like many young quarterbacks. The Bengal game was a nice step in development. As long as he continues to show growth and improvement the team has a chance to improve as well.

If Baker can develop inside the scheme of Stefanski and gain his trust. Then team growth and the critical chemistry between head coach and quarterback will evolve.

The team is in a good place at 5-2. We have a great chance to have a winning season for the first time in many moons.

IMO each game stands alone. I try not to overreact to a single win or loss. We got ripped by the Steelers. We won a close hard fought game against the Bengals.

We play a good team in the Raiders this week. A game that could mean a bunch come the end of the year in tie breakers. We have to continue to progress as an offense without Odell. We will have Chubb coming back in the future.

In order to have further success and any chance if we were to get to the playoffs; we must improve defensively.

We either need to add some pieces. Or, we need for the players on the roster to play better. No team can continue to give up the yards and points we have and have long term success.

This week is the half way point. Then we have a bye. Hopefully we can get a few guys back and be ready for the second half of the season.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Comparisons 2

Link Copied to Clipboard